Paulding.com

Who remembers Saturday morning cartoons

Yep, cartoons only came on Saturday mornings. We sat glued to the tv for hours that morning, sometimes with a bowl of cereal.

It gave us something to look forward to.

Now they are on all day every day, nothing special about watching them.

It also makes me think of McDonalds fries that came in a little bag, you always wanted more but you knew you would have to wait until next time.

I also don't ever remember getting a toy from the store because I simply wanted it.

We only got toys on our birthday or Christmas.

We always had to wait for things we wanted, lots of milestones growing up.

As a girl we had to wait until 13 to shave our legs, 15 to wear make-up and 16 to date.

When I think about it, it was a completely different way of life.

Kids were left in cars while their parents went into the store.

We rode around in the back of Daddy's pick up truck.

We would ride our bikes miles from the house.

I even remember when the tv would go off the air at 10pm.

Our lives are so different now, we would maybe go to McDonalds once a week or it might be 2 weeks, sometimes it was Krystals, but it certainly was not 3-4 times a week like we do now. Going out to a sit down restaurant was a big deal.

We use to go to the drive-in a couple of times a month, I remember the mosquito coils that you put on the dash. Mom and dad had a station wagon they would back in and put the little speaker on the window. You always had to be quiet because the sound was not that good :p

I even went a few times as a teen, it was funny that going to the drive-in would distress my parents, my uncle winked at me and said it was because they knew what they did at the drive-in at my age :rofl:

When I think about all these things I realized that as a kid I got a lot treats and things to look forward to, I treasured things that I did get a lot more than I do now.

Is it my age or is it our society in general that has less to offer that is special and memorable?

• Like 3

I used to love Saterday mornings. The Wizard of Oz was something I waited for every year. Peanuts in a bottle of coke was a treat. We used to go to peoples houses to collect coke bottles to turn in so we could buy candy and thats when candy wa a penny.

I used to love Saterday mornings. The Wizard of Oz was something I waited for every year. Peanuts in a bottle of coke was a treat. We used to go to peoples houses to collect coke bottles to turn in so we could buy candy and thats when candy wa a penny.

I remember collecting coke bottles to buy bubble gum! Sour apple and grape!!!!

The funny thing is that there are no more true saturday morning cartoons on broadcast television anymore. I remember when i was a kid, they started at 6am and went to noon every saturday on Ch. 36. Now there is nothing. I have to go to the HUB on cable to watch cartoons. lol

• Like 1

Life's just different now. I think we had it better, and MY parents think they had it better! unfortunately we have become an instant gratification society. It's sad. Yesterday I was getting frustrated because the Internet was so slow. My god, how did I ever deal with dialup? Lol.

I grew up just like you, Laurie! My kids are growing up so differently. I really don't think we are doing them a favor. We are raising a generation of children who feel entitled! I se it everyday with the teens who work for me......

Yep! Mary Janes and Chicko sticks (sp) During the summer I would go outside in the morning and had to get home before dark. I dont think I wore shoes the whole summer.

I remember collecting coke bottles to buy bubble gum! Sour apple and grape!!!!

Edited by Spunkywman

Oh yes! And also watched "Covered Wagon Theater"; Clarabell, the clown; Uncle Bob; Roy Rogers.

Almost never got toys unless a generous uncle or aunt stepped in. My uncle bought us hula hoops; what a special treat that was; they were brand new; not used.

Oh don't get me started. But yes, I treasured every "thing" or "opportunity" that came my way; still do!

I do. and I remeber watching the "preview" show each summer on a Friday night that told you all about the new cartoons etc. Every Sat. big bowl of cereal and fighting with my sisters about which cartoons we would watch.....ahhhhhh the memories.

Yes BUT we had respect for everything that was yours and didn't pull the stunts that our kids do now days. LPPT I remember when TV had 2 channels in Atlanta and went off to the Star Spangle Banner and came on the same way.

Life's just different now. I think we had it better, and MY parents think they had it better! unfortunately we have become an instant gratification society. It's sad. Yesterday I was getting frustrated because the Internet was so slow. My god, how did I ever deal with dialup? Lol.

I grew up just like you, Laurie! My kids are growing up so differently. I really don't think we are doing them a favor. We are raising a generation of children who feel entitled! I se it everyday with the teens who work for me......

I agree, we also box our kids in, so it is somewhat of a trade off. We all dream of our kids being collage educated, not because they have an aptitude for something specific but because we fear for their futures.

I know I pressured mine. One ended up as a cosmetologist in an upscale salon, she truly loved it and had an aptitude for it. She is now back in college to become an electrical engineer. She realized that older cosmologist don't do as well because of standing all day and the amount of clients it take to make a good living.

I have a daughter that loves retail and customer service, she has been with the same company for years, they pressure her constantly to become a manager, she says no thanks it's not worth the money, but she loves it.

I still have 2 in school, the point is the pressure to start thinking about what you want to do with your life by 6th grade.

I think our kid also feel the pain of the haves and have nots more than we did as kids. Things are so expensive now that it really divides the kids.

It is a very different world for kids, all they have to look forward to is making enough money to feed the instant gratification monster within.

I have met young adults that could not understand the relationship between eating out constantly and not being able to pay their bills. It is sad but true.

Yes BUT we had respect for everything that was yours and didn't pull the stunts that our kids do now days. LPPT I remember when TV had 2 channels in Atlanta and went off to the Star Spangle Banner and came on the same way.

I got spanked one time for pulling the flowers from a neighbors yard and bringing them home!!!!

We did not touch our parents things without permission.

We had 3 channels growing up, my cousins in the city got cable tv years before we did in the country. I felt deprived!

I do. and I remeber watching the "preview" show each summer on a Friday night that told you all about the new cartoons etc. Every Sat. big bowl of cereal and fighting with my sisters about which cartoons we would watch.....ahhhhhh the memories.

I can't remember what night Disney came on I am thinking Friday, because Saturday night was either Lawrence Welk or HeeHaw.

These were shows we watched as a family like clock work.

I remember Saturday morning cartoons and when Atlanta only had 2 or channels. Also, two of my favorite shows on tv was Officer Don

and Sky King.

I don't remember when they would come on but I could not wait to see those two shows.

I also remember nice summer nights at Judean Drive-in,

going roller skating at Crescent Park and bowling when the only close bowling alley was on Cobb Parkway.

After bowling we would always look forward to going to Rio Vista restaurant for fish or the Dog and Suds for a root beer and chili dog.

Sundays in the summer all the family would come over and we would eat Sunday lunch and then after our lunch had settled we would all go swimming and sometimes fishing in my grandparents lake.

Such wonderful memories, they truly were the good old days...

I remember Saturday morning cartoons and when Atlanta only had 2 or channels. Also, two of my favorite shows on tv was Officer Don

and Sky King.

I don't remember when they would come on but I could not wait to see those two shows.

I also remember nice summer nights at Judean Drive-in,

going roller skating at Crescent Park and bowling when the only close bowling alley was on Cobb Parkway.

After bowling we would always look forward to going to Rio Vista restaurant for fish or the Dog and Suds for a root beer and chili dog.

Sundays in the summer all the family would come over and we would eat Sunday lunch and then after our lunch had settled we would all go swimming and sometimes fishing in my grandparents lake.

Such wonderful memories, they truly were the good old days...

This thread brings back sooo many memories. I've never heard of the Judean Drive-In, where was it located? The Marlboro Twin Drive-In was almost across the street from Crescent Park Skating, we were going to the Marlboro, from like 1972 til the late 70's maybe even the early 80's, I forgot what year they closed. Officer Don was one of my favorites. We used to watch the cartoons before heading out to the school bus every morning, too. Never heard of Sky King.

This thread brings back sooo many memories. I've never heard of the Judean Drive-In, where was it located? The Marlboro Twin Drive-In was almost across the street from Crescent Park Skating, we were going to the Marlboro, from like 1972 til the late 70's maybe even the early 80's, I forgot what year they closed. Officer Don was one of my favorites. We used to watch the cartoons before heading out to the school bus every morning, too. Never heard of Sky King.

Judean drive in was at the corner of Macland Road and 120 where the Hardy Buick dealership is now. I can't remember what year the drive in closed but the big screen was there a long time after the Drive in closed. I hated to see it go because it was a big part of my childhood.

Sky king was a TV show in the 1950's about an Arizona airplane pilot turned rancher that would go on a lot of adventures. I guess I am showing my age :lol:

Judean drive in was at the corner of Macland Road and 120 where the Hardy Buick dealership is now. I can't remember what year the drive in closed but the big screen was there a long time after the Drive in closed. I hated to see it go because it was a big part of my childhood.

I know the Judean was closed by '85 (probably closed long before) as by then the screen was in disrepair, the one over in Austell by the Richway was closed by '82..

I know the Judean was closed by '85 (probably closed long before) as by then the screen was in disrepair, the one over in Austell by the Richway was closed by '82..

Thanks, that was the Marlboro Twin

When I was a kid, I always enjoyed watching Johnny Quest, and Beanie & Cecil.

I loved Johnny quest, I always loved cartoons with a story like Scooby doo.

I think I was the only person on earth that hated the road runner, I actually wanted the coyote to finally die. :wacko:

I got spanked one time for pulling the flowers from a neighbors yard and bringing them home!!!!

We did not touch our parents things without permission.

We had 3 channels growing up, my cousins in the city got cable tv years before we did in the country. I felt deprived!

I can't remember what night Disney came on I am thinking Friday, because Saturday night was either Lawrence Welk or HeeHaw.

These were shows we watched as a family like clock work.

If you're talking about Disney's Wonderful World of Color, I'm thinking it would have been Sunday....followed by Bonanza.

• Like 1

Ah...Officer Don. Here's another..... Remember Tubby and Lester? They were a local TV morning show aimed at kids modeled after Laurel and Hardy. They usually showed old Our Gang comedies along with cartoons.

Friday PM was : The Incredible Hulk and The Dukes of Hazzard ~ both on the black and white TV, with popcorn made in the electric air popper :blush:

Saturday AM was: Smurfs and Kids Incorporated

Sunday was: The Muppet Show and Hee Haw

I remember having a "tuner" on the top of the TV....we turned it and it made a funny noise, as it adjusted the antenna on the roof.

Movie Theaters, on Mondays were $1.75 and it was .75 for a popcorn, however, we could only go 1 every few months.

Of course "back then" we didn't have video games, it was hours of StrawBerry shortcake, Pretty Ponies and Care Bears (all the original, possible ones - I still have my originals)....in the summer, it was cops and robbers with the neighbors/cousins in the woods. You could go anywere, but, you didn't dare go into the house, and you WERE home by 5pm for dinner (or, when you heard your designated "whistle" by dad :rolleyes: ).

My once a year highlight, was watching The Sound of Music, at Christmas, with my Grandma...what I wouldn't give for one more Christmas eve, eve, with her :( .

Thanks for memory lane....I wish my kids could expereince just 1 week of my childhood (although, they would probably be "bored":nea: )

Edited by P.C. Shopper

If you're talking about Disney's Wonderful World of Color, I'm thinking it would have been Sunday....followed by Bonanza.

Isn't it funny we remember the shows because there were so few.

My grandmother use to watch her stories :lol:

They would feed us breakfast in the morning and put us out, clean the house, serve us PBJ with Kool-aid on the back porch then watch their stories.

By today's standards we were neglected, and endangered. :p

I loved tv nights when the whole family say down and watched, sometimes we would have Jiffy Pop, it was more fun watching it pop than eating it.

I still remember making popcorn in a 5 quart pot with oil and salt.

where I lived on sundays it was wild kingdom with Marlin perkins at 7 and then disney at 8..

I remember them well. Someone mentioned the smurfs and my little pony, my kids watched those :ninja:

Woody Woodpecker, Mighty Mouse, Tom & Jerry

I loved those. check out the pic someone just posted on FB.

Look familiar?

Saturday morning started with Tarzan at 6:00 AM. I never missed it. And Johnny Quest was my favorite.

I loved Tarzan, I think he was my first crush :rofl:

We watched Shirley Temple too!

Isn't it funny we remember the shows because there were so few.

My grandmother use to watch her stories :lol:

They would feed us breakfast in the morning and put us out, clean the house, serve us PBJ with Kool-aid on the back porch then watch their stories.

By today's standards we were neglected, and endangered. :p

I loved tv nights when the whole family say down and watched, sometimes we would have Jiffy Pop, it was more fun watching it pop than eating it.

I still remember making popcorn in a 5 quart pot with oil and salt.

Sunday night was popcorn night at our house. Daddy would pop a great big potful right before Bonanza came on.

I remember the stories, too. My mom watched the NBC lineup.....Days of Our Lives, The Doctors, and Another World. my grandmother watched General Hospital. And on Saturday night at my grandmother's house, all activity came to a grinding halt when Lawrence Welk came on.

I miss those days.

I remember one Saturday afternoon, we were all gathered around sitting underneath the trees at my grandmothers house shooting the breeze. As the adults were talking, I noticed an ant carrying a piece of bark on its back crawling on the ground. I just laid there in the grass....watching the ant crawling across the ground listening to the talk.

When it got next to my uncle's foot, he raised his foot up and stomped that ant. I thought my aunt was going to throttle him! It turns out, I wasn't the only one that had been watching this poor ant.

I just remember my aunt hollering "Benny, I can't believe you did that" and him hollering back "Fer Pete's sake, Paula, it was an ANT!!!" and the rest of the family laughing about the whole thing.

I loved those. check out the pic someone just posted on FB.

Look familiar?

I loved Tarzan, I think he was my first crush :rofl:

We watched Shirley Temple too!

I preferred Jane, but I can relate.

Sunday night was popcorn night at our house. Daddy would pop a great big potful right before Bonanza came on.

I remember the stories, too. My mom watched the NBC lineup.....Days of Our Lives, The Doctors, and Another World. my grandmother watched General Hospital. And on Saturday night at my grandmother's house, all activity came to a grinding halt when Lawrence Welk came on.

I miss those days.

I remember one Saturday afternoon, we were all gathered around sitting underneath the trees at my grandmothers house shooting the breeze. As the adults were talking, I noticed an ant carrying a piece of bark on its back crawling on the ground. I just laid there in the grass....watching the ant crawling across the ground listening to the talk.

When it got next to my uncle's foot, he raised his foot up and stomped that ant. I thought my aunt was going to throttle him! It turns out, I wasn't the only one that had been watching this poor ant.

I just remember my aunt hollering "Benny, I can't believe you did that" and him hollering back "Fer Pete's sake, Paula, it was an ANT!!!" and the rest of the family laughing about the whole thing.

That reminds me of how much slower life was back then and what entertained us as kids.

I can remember watching my dad clean fish as intently as my kids watch TV now.

I also remember making ice cream and getting in trouble for stealing the salt and the ice and sucking on both, I swear it was almost as good as the ice cream.

When it would start to get hard one of us kids would sit on it while someone cranked.

I preferred Jane, but I can relate.

I dreamed about a pet Chimpanzee and living in a tree house.

That reminds me of how much slower life was back then and what entertained us as kids.

I can remember watching my dad clean fish as intently as my kids watch TV now.

I also remember making ice cream and getting in trouble for stealing the salt and the ice and sucking on both, I swear it was almost as good as the ice cream.

When it would start to get hard one of us kids would sit on it while someone cranked.

I dreamed about a pet Chimpanzee and living in a tree house.

Grand-daddy Walraven made the ice cream with whole milk from their cows and canned peaches. It was delicious!

Grand-daddy Walraven made the ice cream with whole milk from their cows and canned peaches. It was delicious!

JJ, Now you are talking my kind of ice cream and LPPT we would sit on the ice cream freezer too while they made the ice cream...there is nothing better than homemade ice cream. We would have our bowls and spoons ready before my dad even got it ready to crank up :wub: