Paulding.com

Zimmerman charged with 2nd degree murder

Spoken like someone that has never been in this situation. Let me give you a "little movie" I borrowed from someone else.

The guy was reportedly sucker punched, knocked to the ground, his head beaten against the concrete, punched in the nose. All this likely happened in less than 10 seconds. Now where in that ten seconds are you going to realize that there is a predator trying to kill you and you need to do something to save your life.....oh yeah....I'll fire a warning shot.....

I have a feeling that anyone with any kind of weapon is going to use that weapon to stop the attack as soon as possible.

BTW, it IS self defense regardless of the weapon. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO ASSAULT A PERSON. Doesn't matter if you assault them with your fists, feet, a 2x4, a tire tool or a gun. And when you are being assaulted, you have the right to use deadly force to stop the assault (if you are in Georgia or Florida or another state that has the stand your ground law).

Well. let me see, AAHH, and assumption! ( Like the one where you assumed that he had been assualted-he claims to have been assualted, but we don't know that for sure) " You have never been in this situation" WRONG!! I was a property manager for several years, IN FLORIDA!!! I had a gun, I was called in in the middle of the night to check on burgular alarms that went off (sometimes several times in a night if there were storms setting things off). Cops weren't there yet!! Man walks up behind me and grabs my arm!! I swing around, pull away, and fire at the ground - a warning) Pointing my gun right at the persons head, I found a homeless man standing there about to pee in his pants.-he was more than willing to put up his hands and beg me not to shoot. As it turns out, he just wanted a cigerette, or some food. Good thing I wasn't Zimmerman!

Only one of many situations. Each time I refrained from shooting someone if possible, but was prepared to shoot if necessary-and would have. It is against the law to assualt someone, IF an assualt happened-we just don't know, and being a person who learned early in life what a fool you can make of yourself with an assumption, I try very hard not to make them. JUST SAYING!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good point. Why is it that only blacks have civil rights?

Of course the prosecutors are going to paint as rosy picture as they can of Trayvon and how Zimmerman was a racist on the prowl. Funny how the media keeps calling him White. If they started calling hi

When you realize that people all over the country are having the same conversations and coming to conclusions based on the limited facts that have been released (some of which have been proven false)

Well the teenage idiot did bash zimmermans head into the curb so it is justified.

If it where me and the kid raised his hand to me, the last thing he would see would be a bright muzzle flash right between his eyes.

WOW-INTERESTING COMMENTS!! Hope your own kid fares better when they make a mistake, and ALL kids will make mistakes. Maybe you just don't have any kids and can't understand how this would feel if it were yours? Then again, it is better if some people don't breed, so thanks.

I'm sorry but I do take umbrage with you telling me what I would and would not do. You do not know me so don't presume you can speak for me.

Secondly, it would label him a criminal and ruin the rest of life?

At this point as opposed to what?

I'm just saying if he had had any sense he would have had his lawyers work with the prosecutors office to engineer charges he could plead down to and walk away with probation.

He's already stated his belief is that if he goes to jail/prison he's a dead man and he only wants to leave the US.

You do that, we'll continue to discuss the case like adults in the fashion which the forum was designed for.

Maybe you need to go back and read some of this crap....Adult you say....BS.

• Like 1

Well. let me see, AAHH, and assumption! ( Like the one where you assumed that he had been assualted-he claims to have been assualted, but we don't know that for sure) " You have never been in this situation" WRONG!! I was a property manager for several years, IN FLORIDA!!! I had a gun, I was called in in the middle of the night to check on burgular alarms that went off (sometimes several times in a night if there were storms setting things off). Cops weren't there yet!! Man walks up behind me and grabs my arm!! I swing around, pull away, and fire at the ground - a warning) Pointing my gun right at the persons head, I found a homeless man standing there about to pee in his pants.-he was more than willing to put up his hands and beg me not to shoot. As it turns out, he just wanted a cigerette, or some food. Good thing I wasn't Zimmerman!

Only one of many situations. Each time I refrained from shooting someone if possible, but was prepared to shoot if necessary-and would have. It is against the law to assualt someone, IF an assualt happened-we just don't know, and being a person who learned early in life what a fool you can make of yourself with an assumption, I try very hard not to make them. JUST SAYING!!!

:rofl:

Oh damn! Now I do have this little movie playing in my head and it stars Barney Fife. Did Ange make you put your bullet in your pocket after that one?

My point was, if there had been an actual assailant you would have probably signed your death warrant by shooting into the ground. There usually isn't time to think, you react.

I do apologize for making assumptions that were not based in any fact. Not trying to start a fight, but having been in some similar situations and having had some self defense training, the rule is you pull your gun to kill. You pull it for anything less and you will likely be killed. Otherwise, leave it in your pocket.

• Like 1

Oh damn! Now I do have this little movie playing in my head and it stars Barney Fife. Did Ange make you put your bullet in your pocket after that one?

My point was, if there had been an actual assailant you would have probably signed your death warrant by shooting into the ground. There usually isn't time to think, you react.

I do apologize for making assumptions that were not based in any fact. Not trying to start a fight, but having been in some similar situations and having had some self defense training, the rule is you pull your gun to kill. You pull it for anything less and you will likely be killed. Otherwise, leave it in your pocket.

Thats EXACTLY right! You pull it you shoot it.

That doesn't give you the right to go poke someone in the nose repeatedly until they react and then shoot them though.

• Like 2

Possibly, another assumption-I did pull it to kill!! I also was trained in self defense. Actually, I fired the gun because I was surprised, but knowing that we had homeless persons on site, and teenagers who hung out, and even some tenants who would answer alarms themselves, my other training kicked in,( you know, the one where they teach you to use good judgement and good sense when shooting someone) and I did not fire directly at the person. Did almost shot his foot off! We were at very close range.

Luckily, in that split second, I was able to determine that possibly I might be making a mistake. I still had the opportunity to shoot him, and it would only have taken another second to do it. I'm glad I read the situation right, and that I did not kill an inocent person. It would have been hard for me to live with-which is why I was prepared, even at that moment, to use my head despite my instinct to shoot to kill immediately.

Oh, there was no Barney Fife available. The police always showed up an hour or so later. It was up to a 120 lb. 5"3" woman to answer the burgular alarms-no matter what time of night . Didn't shoot myself either.Seems to me that the police are also taught to shoot to kill when they are threatened, but often don't(even though they have their guns out!). Why? Because they are also trained to identify a REAL threat, and react to it, but to not kill if it isn't absolutely necessary. Most do that-thank God!!

Huh?

Not you but someone posted in one of these threads the other day beating on his chest saying he wouldn't draw but he would poke someone in the nose a few times and let them know about his passed tours of duty.

I can't see how how any one can claim self defense when they are being offensive in nature.

• Like 1

Not you but someone posted in one of these threads the other day beating on his chest saying he wouldn't draw but he would poke someone in the nose a few times and let them know about his passed tours of duty.

I can't see how how any one can claim self defense when they are being offensive in nature.

Gotcha. And I agree.

CNN Breaking News - Florida investigators say in an affidavit that George Zimmerman profiled, confronted, then fatally shot Trayvon Martin.

Oh snap!

The prosecution runs it back for a hail mary play!!!

It's going it's going..

It doesn't matter who we believe. Zimmerman's testimony is the only direct evidence. He had injuries when the police arrived. That's reasonable doubt. That's quite literally all it takes.

Actually Florida SYG law is based on the provocateur....in this case, it's up to a jury to decide if the provocateur was Zimmerman, for following the kid through the neighborhood without probable cause or authority to do so, or if Martin is the provocateur for confronting the man following him. And that's all just based on the public evidence....there may be further evidence that we don't know about that better defines one or the other as the provocateur. The SYG law DOES NOT COVER the provocateur.

mrnn

Of course the prosecutors are going to paint as rosy picture as they can of Trayvon and how Zimmerman was a racist on the prowl. Funny how the media keeps calling him White. If they started calling him Hispanic they might start a real race war.

However, everyone would be best served to observe 'innocent until proven guilty' and wait for a jury to hear all of the evidence and then make a decision based on the evidence and not on emotion of bias feelings. I find it interesting that the police didn't find enough evidence to charge him, turned it over to the DA, who did have enough evidence to bring it before a Grand Jury. But let Al Sharpton, the White House and the DOJ start applying pressure and out come the charges - without a grand jury indictment. But it will still be up to a jury to decide. Perhaps with Zimmerman waiting it out in jail, tensions will start to calm down. Seems even Trayvon's parent's are starting to back peddle some in describing this as an 'accident' now. Let's just hope Zimmerman remains safe while in jail and gets a fair trail before a jury.

Remember, how juries are in south FL. They let Caley Anthony off.

• Like 4

Of course the prosecutors are going to paint as rosy picture as they can of Trayvon and how Zimmerman was a racist on the prowl. Funny how the media keeps calling him White. If they started calling him Hispanic they might start a real race war.

However, everyone would be best served to observe 'innocent until proven guilty' and wait for a jury to hear all of the evidence and then make a decision based on the evidence and not on emotion of bias feelings. I find it interesting that the police didn't find enough evidence to charge him, turned it over to the DA, who did have enough evidence to bring it before a Grand Jury. But let Al Sharpton, the White House and the DOJ start applying pressure and out come the charges - without a grand jury indictment. But it will still be up to a jury to decide. Perhaps with Zimmerman waiting it out in jail, tensions will start to calm down. Seems even Trayvon's parent's are starting to back peddle some in describing this as an 'accident' now. Let's just hope Zimmerman remains safe while in jail and gets a fair trail before a jury.

Georgia Dawg...hope you don't mind...I just borrowed you NOPE 2012 and Excuse me logos for my facebook wall...sorry I couldn't resist.

If a person pokes another person in the nose they have committed the criminal offense of battery.

O.C.G.A. _ 16-5-23.1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you call someone a SOB, and they punch you in the nose for it, they have committed a criminal offense. Battery can be a serious violation of the law, and if a person commits battery again, to the same person, it gets real serious.

I know because I committed battery a few times, when I was growing up. So, I just let people call me what ever they want to call me. I don't care anymore. drinks.gif

Edited by The Postman

:good: :clapping: :drinks:

Possibly, another assumption-I did pull it to kill!! I also was trained in self defense. Actually, I fired the gun because I was surprised, but knowing that we had homeless persons on site, and teenagers who hung out, and even some tenants who would answer alarms themselves, my other training kicked in,( you know, the one where they teach you to use good judgement and good sense when shooting someone) and I did not fire directly at the person. Did almost shot his foot off! We were at very close range.

Luckily, in that split second, I was able to determine that possibly I might be making a mistake. I still had the opportunity to shoot him, and it would only have taken another second to do it. I'm glad I read the situation right, and that I did not kill an inocent person. It would have been hard for me to live with-which is why I was prepared, even at that moment, to use my head despite my instinct to shoot to kill immediately.

Oh, there was no Barney Fife available. The police always showed up an hour or so later. It was up to a 120 lb. 5"3" woman to answer the burgular alarms-no matter what time of night . Didn't shoot myself either.Seems to me that the police are also taught to shoot to kill when they are threatened, but often don't(even though they have their guns out!). Why? Because they are also trained to identify a REAL threat, and react to it, but to not kill if it isn't absolutely necessary. Most do that-thank God!!

uhmmm, anyone proprely trained in the use of deadly force knows, you NEVER "draw" or shoot to kill. Say that on the stand and your done.

• Like 1

uhmmm, anyone proprely trained in the use of deadly force knows, you NEVER "draw" or shoot to kill. Say that on the stand and your done.

My point was that I was prepared to kill IF NECESSARY-it was not necessary in that case, and thank God I did not shoot the person!

The other poster seemed to think that once you have "drawn" your gun, you must kill someone. God help us all if everyone with a gun thinks that way!

Edited by PcsCharli

I think having a gun is good, if you are not wearing it in plain sight. People, like myself, feel intimidated by conspicuous (eye-catching) displays, such as carrying a gun in a doctor's office where patients are sitting around waiting to see the doctor.

Having the courtesy to conceal a deadly weapon in public, if you are not an obvious officer of the law, is my idea of good behavior on the gun carriers part. drinks.gif

I think having a gun is good, if you are not wearing it in plain sight. People, like myself, feel intimidated by conspicuous (eye-catching) displays, such as carrying a gun in a doctor's office where patients are sitting around waiting to see the doctor.

Having the courtesy to conceal a deadly weapon in public, if you are not an obvious officer of the law, is my idea of good behavior on the gun carriers part. drinks.gif

WHOOAAAHHHH, TP did someone hack your pcom account? That actually makes sense. Not saying I necessarily agree, but it is an opinion that I can respect. And presented in such an eloquent manner. :drinks:

WHOOAAAHHHH, TP did someone hack your pcom account? That actually makes sense. Not saying I necessarily agree, but it is an opinion that I can respect. And presented in such an eloquent manner. :drinks:

Thanks, wcso!

I have changed my attitude, a little, even though I never was against a concealed weapon. I don't like to be intimidated by a person with a gun strapped on his body where people can see it. On the other hand, an officer of the law should carry his gun in plain sight.

My opinion, of course! smile.gif

My point was that I was prepared to kill IF NECESSARY-it was not necessary in that case, and thank God I did not shoot the person!

The other poster seemed to think that once you have "drawn" your gun, you must kill someone. God help us all if everyone with a gun thinks that way!

WRONG. Looks like we all do a little assuming from time to time.

My point was that you don't pull a gun in an intense situation unless you intend to use it. Using a gun to bluff or intimidate is a bad idea. It is better left concealed.

WRONG. Looks like we all do a little assuming from time to time.

My point was that you don't pull a gun in an intense situation unless you intend to use it. Using a gun to bluff or intimidate is a bad idea. It is better left concealed.

What about shooting someone who just knocked hell out of you but is running away, feelip; is that a good reason to pull a gun? drinks.gif

What about shooting someone who just knocked hell out of you but is running away, feelip; is that a good reason to pull a gun? drinks.gif

Trayvon was shot in the chest Eddie. Unless those Skittles and tea had him running backwards, he wasn't running away.

Trayvon was shot in the chest Eddie. Unless those Skittles and tea had him running backwards, he wasn't running away.

And if you read that affidavit from the detectives it states that Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued. If some stranger grabs you you're going to do what you have to do to shake them off of you.

If I had ran into an ally, and Zimmerman followed me, he wouldn't have shot me in the back, either. I would have been trying to defend myself. Zimmerman had better hope there are powder burns on the body. If he shot the kid from a distance it was not self defense. Now if the kid had his own weapon it still might be self defense.

I would certainly have been defending myself. If Zimmerman was not good with his gun I would have taken it away from him, and held it on him until I got away. Zimmerman may have been bigger than the kid, but I am that much bigger than he is.drinks.gif

And if you read that affidavit from the detectives it states that Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued. If some stranger grabs you you're going to do what you have to do to shake them off of you.

So your definition of "confront" is grabbing someone? Geez Lady. Let's keep it real.

If I had ran into an ally, and Zimmerman followed me, he wouldn't have shot me in the back, either. I would have been trying to defend myself. Zimmerman had better hope there are powder burns on the body. If he shot the kid from a distance it was not self defense. Now if the kid had his own weapon it still might be self defense.

I would certainly have been defending myself. If Zimmerman was not good with his gun I would have taken it away from him, and held it on him until I got away. Zimmerman may have been bigger than the kid, but I am that much bigger than he is.drinks.gif

Honestly Eddie, I don't give a damn. I'm going to eat a steak tonight and spend tomorrow fishing. Neither Trayvon or Zimmerman will be doing that. Sucks to be them. 8)

It's much more realistic than the fairy tale of Martin coming back and attacking Zimmerman.

In your mind. But that is not what the affidavit says. It says CONFRONTED. Confronting isn't necessarily illegal.

I think both sides are stretching a little to try to prove their position is the right one. But unless a law was broken, it might be hard to get a conviction.

With Zimmerman's dad being a judge, you can bet there were some deals made before he turned himself in. My guess is the whole show and tell of him being locked up was to satisfy the protestors and to get the media off their trail.

We'll see.

Only TWO people know exactly what happened that night, and one is dead.

I don't know what happened, and I don't trust the media's version of ANYTHING, much less a case that has incited racial tension.

It's tragic that a teenager was killed. His defenders say he was innocent. He may have been.

It's disturbing that a vigilante shot and killed him. He and his defenders claim it was in self-defense.

I do find it...INTERESTING...that so many people know just what happened in those few minutes and are ready to condemn the "white Hispanic," a term I'm pretty sure was made up just for this case. Because it couldn't be a "race crime" if Zimmerman wasn't "white."

What, exactly, is a "white Hispanic"? And who's being racist here?

IN MY OPINION, Zimmerman should face some sort of legal justice for shooting an unarmed teen to death. But again, I wasn't there, and I don't know what really happened.

• Like 1

Honestly Eddie, I don't give a damn. I'm going to eat a steak tonight and spend tomorrow fishing. Neither Trayvon or Zimmerman will be doing that. Sucks to be them. 8)

Honestly, feelip, I give a damn. I'm glad some SOB hasn't followed you toward your home, while you were returning from the store, and killed you. It may not have made National headlines, but it would have seriously concerned me. And I don't give a damn whether you like that or not! drinks.gif

Edited by The Postman

If a person pokes another person in the nose they have committed the criminal offense of battery.

O.C.G.A. _ 16-5-23.1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you call someone a SOB, and they punch you in the nose for it, they have committed a criminal offense. Battery can be a serious violation of the law, and if a person commits battery again, to the same person, it gets real serious.

I know because I committed battery a few times, when I was growing up. So, I just let people call me what ever they want to call me. I don't care anymore. drinks.gif

No they will not. They are protected by the use of "fighting words" in the law. IF you call someone an SOB and they pop you in the nose, then the law says you got what you asked for. If they escalate it much beyond that though there could be a problem.

OCGA § 16-11-39(a)(3), which provides:A person commits the offense of disorderly conduct when such person ․ [w]ithout provocation, uses to or of another person in such other person's presence, opprobrious or abusive words which by their very utterance tend to incite to an immediate breach of the peace, that is to say, words which as a matter of common knowledge and under ordinary circumstances will, when used to or of another person in such other person's presence, naturally tend to provoke violent resentment, that is, words commonly called “fighting words.”

So the person that called them a SOB is guilty of Disorderly conduct whilt the other person would be given a little "leeway" in their response.

No they will not. They are protected by the use of "fighting words" in the law. IF you call someone an SOB and they pop you in the nose, then the law says you got what you asked for. If they escalate it much beyond that though there could be a problem.

OCGA § 16-11-39(a)(3), which provides:A person commits the offense of disorderly conduct when such person ․ [w]ithout provocation, uses to or of another person in such other person's presence, opprobrious or abusive words which by their very utterance tend to incite to an immediate breach of the peace, that is to say, words which as a matter of common knowledge and under ordinary circumstances will, when used to or of another person in such other person's presence, naturally tend to provoke violent resentment, that is, words commonly called "fighting words."

So the person that called them a SOB is guilty of Disorderly conduct whilt the other person would be given a little "leeway" in their response.

Knowing my demeanor, Mr.Dis, the disorderly conduct would be what the person did that caused me to call him a SOB. If he commits battery I will defend myself. Of course, I have had banty rooster type people jump on my head. But, most people want commit battery on a 6'3" 250 lb man.

Some people, though, are just like a banty roosters and will jump right in. drinks.gif

Knowing my demeanor, Mr.Dis, the disorderly conduct would be what the person did that caused me to call him a SOB. If he commits battery I will defend myself. Of course, I have had banty rooster type people jump on my head. But, most people want commit battery on a 6'3" 250 lb man.

Some people, though, are just like a banty roosters and will jump right in. drinks.gif

Yea right, Just like the guy practicing his 2nd amendment right. His mere presence caused you to call him an SOB. Of course you were to chicken to say that to his face. Dude you remind me of the guy who's mouth writes a check his ass can't cash.

Back to the OP. Zimmerman will be found guilty just to make certain groups happy.

Edited by gog8tors
  • Like 1

Yea right, Just like the guy practicing his 2nd amendment right. His mere presence caused you to call him an SOB. Of course you were to chicken to say that to his face. Dude you remind me of the guy who's mouth writes a check his ass can't cash.

Back to the OP. Zimmerman will be found guilty just to make certain groups happy.

Oh, he's guilty. The only question is what he's guilty OF. ;)

I hope he won't be found guilty just to make certain groups happy. I would like to have more faith in my fellow human than that. A man's life is a stake. He deserves a fair trial as much as trayvon deserves to have his killer tried in a court of law.

• Like 1