Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
rockysmom

New Orleans

So, planning a trip to NO and I'm looking for ideas on what to do. I understand that the graveyard tour is a must.

What else?

TIA

I'm no help...it's one of the worst places I've ever visited; stayed there two different weeks years apart and it was horrible all the way around. I say this not to rain on your parade, because there are plenty of people who absolutely LOVE it...I just wanted to offer an alternate opinion. When I'm looking for information on a place, I want to know the good and bad so I can make an informed decision. There are plenty of great historical places to visit; I would just say be careful and observant at all times. Also, please let us know how it went when you get back.

Preservation Hall for jazz, piano bar at Pat O'Brien's, late night people watching at Cafe Du Monde, lunch at Central Grocery, Audubon Zoo, side trip to Oak Alley plantation, Louisiana State Museum & the Cabildo, ride the streetcar, riverboat cruise, go to Mass at St. Louis Cathedral (even if you aren't Catholic), tour the Garden District. They have an aquarium also but if you've been to the GA or TN aquariums, I'd skip it.

I thought the hurricane Katrina and Mardi Gras exhibits at the museum were very interesting. There are lots of things to do in New Orleans and even more in the surrounding area.

I absolutely love New Orleans. I want to go again now.

I'm no help...it's one of the worst places I've ever visited; stayed there two different weeks years apart and it was horrible all the way around. I say this not to rain on your parade, because there are plenty of people who absolutely LOVE it...I just wanted to offer an alternate opinion. When I'm looking for information on a place, I want to know the good and bad so I can make an informed decision. There are plenty of great historical places to visit; I would just say be careful and observant at all times. Also, please let us know how it went when you get back.

I can see how you came to think that. You do have to be aware in that town. We were thinking about eating really good casual food, doing some of the tours and a little bit of gambling.

Why did you hate it so much?

creole queen dinner cruise.

spend a day in city park.

take the street car uptown and walk the shaded streets of the garden district.

ride the canal street pedestrian ferry to the wesbank and have lunch at the drydock cafe. (my ex inlaws own the place)

blaine kern's mardi gras world is right around the corner from the drydock. you can see all of the floats and whatnot.

if you've got a car at your disposal, drive to Marerro and see jean lafitte park. hike the trails all the way to the end, where the swamp opens up into the marsh, gorgeous!!!(had a first date there)

then drive a bit further, cross the bridge into lafitte itself. really neat town. (used to live there)

while on the west bank, drive down through plaquemines parish. stop at the dairy dip for an ice cream cone. tour ft. jackson. the last battle of the war was there, after the south had surrendered.

i'll be going home the second week in June. ^^^ that's all the crap i have planned to do that week.

i burned out on the quarter while i was still in highschool. i've been back once, with my husband, last spring break.

too touristy for me. too noisy for me. and way too distracting....there's so much more of new orleans to experience.

if you really want to drink and people watch...go to the marginy.

• Like 1

Thanks you'se guys. We won't have access to a car but I would really like to do the garden district. I went there years ago (business trip) and I really enjoyed the fact that it was such a great walking town BUT amazingly filthy in the quarter.

One of my favorite places was the Houmas House in Darrow, LA, about 50 miles west of NO on I-10.

Since I can't post a link, just Google Houmas House. Neat website.

If you don't like to eat, drink, gamble or look at old stuff you might not like New Orleans.

Also, if I go back I'll spend more time looking around down toward Venice and less time in the city.

Oh, forgot to mention jazz.

Edited by feelip

I can see how you came to think that. You do have to be aware in that town. We were thinking about eating really good casual food, doing some of the tours and a little bit of gambling.

Why did you hate it so much?

I just found it to be a dirty, icky place. Saw all the attractions (they had at the time; the last visit was some years back, and way before Katrina)...meh. I dunno...I just keep thinking dirty and icky when I think of something to describe it. HOWEVER, as you see, others who are familiar with it LOVE it, so if you stick to their advice, I'm guessing you'll have a good time.

Take the Amtrak to New Orleans!

I did this on one of my trips; caught the train in either Jacksonville or Anniston. GREAT trip, although uneventful and pretty slow. The biggest thing I remember from that trip was when we got to NO, they backed the train in to the station near the Super Dome. Across the Ponchartrain. The track at that time (maybe it's been updated, I don't know) was this rickety-feeling wooden structure, and the rails were about five feet off the water (it seemed...could have been higher). There were no guard rails. The train went about 20 mph backing across the lake, with the bridge swaying and creaking the entire way. I just knew I was gonna die. GAH!!!

Just walk the French Quarter. You don't have to have plans. Stop in a few of the small cafes and try their local dishes. Go to the Riverwalk and listen to the different jazz and blues street bands. The French Market is also a great place to spend some time. Just enjoy it, that is what Nola is all about!

One of my favorite places was the Houmas House in Darrow, LA, about 50 miles west of NO on I-10.

Since I can't post a link, just Google Houmas House. Neat website.

If you don't like to eat, drink, gamble or look at old stuff you might not like New Orleans.

Also, if I go back I'll spend more time looking around down toward Venice and less time in the city.

Oh, forgot to mention jazz.

I LOVE ... to eat, drink, gamble and look at old stuff!!! So, it will be the perfect place to go! I am interested in purchasing some VooDoo dolls.... :ninja:

:running to Google Houmas House now:

Just walk the French Quarter. You don't have to have plans. Stop in a few of the small cafes and try their local dishes. Go to the Riverwalk and listen to the different jazz and blues street bands. The French Market is also a great place to spend some time. Just enjoy it, that is what Nola is all about!

French Quarter walking is a must do!!!

I LOVE ... to eat, drink, gamble and look at old stuff!!! So, it will be the perfect place to go! I am interested in purchasing some VooDoo dolls.... :ninja:

Sooooo....you voodoo? :mellow:

Im here in NOLA now. It's still sorta dirty. I am eating good food and a bar called THE BULLDOG on Magazine street was fun. Don't eat at Mahoneys, it good but lunch for 2 was 56$...

Im here in NOLA now. It's still sorta dirty. I am eating good food and a bar called THE BULLDOG on Magazine street was fun. Don't eat at Mahoneys, it good but lunch for 2 was 56$...

Thanks for the heads up. Mahoneys was on our list. In fact, I sent the link to my buddy and said I was surprised at the prices.

Oooh. If you have to go in the quarter.....make sure to stop at the steak pit for a huge ass beer. And bring the cup home!

It's on bourbon just east (?) of tolouse.

Oooh. If you have to go in the quarter.....make sure to stop at the steak pit for a huge ass beer. And bring the cup home!

It's on bourbon just east (?) of tolouse.

Yup, we'll be doing the quarter. We have a birthday toast to make! :ph34r:

Who do? You do?

That Voo Doo that you do.

What say y'all about the following places... Cafe Drummond, Deenies, Hob Nobs, Acme Oyster House

I hope you have fun. NO was on my MUST do list. We went to Biloxi for a few days so we rented a car and went to NO. One of my good friends lives there, and her boyfriend's (Ken Belleau)boat is on display outside the museum. He actually stole it from some people and rescued over 400 people after Katrina....sorry for the side note!

Anyway, we were SO disappointed. I did love the garden district, thought, but the french quarter was just nasty. The cemetary was pretty cool, but be careful. Wait outside for a tour group to go in and go in with them.......

Have fun!!!!!

You and my wife. I'm an Indian so I stay out of those places.

That Voo Doo that you do.

What say y'all about the following places... Cafe Drummond, Deenies, Hob Nobs, Acme Oyster House

ACME was good, a little pricey in my opinion. I much prefer Hunts in Panama City for oysters.

I spent a whole day and night in Harrah's. But I love slots. I enjoyed the aquarium as well. My must list of places to eat are:

Muriel's

NOLA (the best chocolate cake on the planet)

Mother's for breakfast (but be prepared to get a bloody mary and wait on line)

Remolaude is great for po boys at lunch and then do dinner on the other side of the building at the swank Arnaud's.

I've stayed at the Hotel Monteleone which was great. But even better was the International House on my second trip.

I really enjoyed New Orleans. All of it. I'd list the fun alternative bars but I don't know if you want to hang out with the gay boys.

I spent a whole day and night in Harrah's. But I love slots. I enjoyed the aquarium as well. My must list of places to eat are:

Muriel's

NOLA (the best chocolate cake on the planet)

Mother's for breakfast (but be prepared to get a bloody mary and wait on line)

Remolaude is great for po boys at lunch and then do dinner on the other side of the building at the swank Arnaud's.

I've stayed at the Hotel Monteleone which was great. But even better was the International House on my second trip.

I really enjoyed New Orleans. All of it. I'd list the fun alternative bars but I don't know if you want to hang out with the gay boys.

The guys guys in NO may be a bit much but NOLA is a done deal.

Thanks Mark!

The guys guys in NO may be a bit much but NOLA is a done deal.

Thanks Mark!

The Red Rhino is one of the fun bars.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/states.aspx#.T1_4jxFsV2A

Here is a super website that I use when I travel and want to eat well. It is fantastic if you travel a lot. Notice... Mahoneys is on here too but I wouldnt go there either for the prices.

Parasol's Restaurant & Bar

2533 Constance Street

New Orleans, LA 70130

The Old Coffee Pot Restaurant

714 Saint Peter Street

New Orleans, LA 70116

ph. (504) 524-3500

ph. (504) 897-5413

I'm going next week for a family thing. I haven't been since before Katrina so it'll be interesting to see what up. My aunt and uncle had to tear their house down to the studs and rebuild.

A couple of the tours that we did from the hotel that I would do again:

A Plantation tour - bus takes you to several large plantation homes with tour guides to tell you all of the tales about hushpuppies, whistling, drapery pools, house deeds, etc.

A Vampire tour - a walking tour through many of the places in downtown NO and stories of the vampires and empty caskets that were shipped to NO. Pretty interesting stuff tho...

Drago's at the Hilton by the river. Chargrilled oysters are awesome!!! Muffaletta at Central Grocery.

Dragos is on the list. Chargrilled oysters are OMG! Thanks. :)

I did this on one of my trips; caught the train in either Jacksonville or Anniston. GREAT trip, although uneventful and pretty slow. The biggest thing I remember from that trip was when we got to NO, they backed the train in to the station near the Super Dome. Across the Ponchartrain. The track at that time (maybe it's been updated, I don't know) was this rickety-feeling wooden structure, and the rails were about five feet off the water (it seemed...could have been higher). There were no guard rails. The train went about 20 mph backing across the lake, with the bridge swaying and creaking the entire way. I just knew I was gonna die. GAH!!!

We went a few years ago, and I don't remember that happening. We caught it in Birmingham because it was cheaper than Atlanta. We had our own private room car on the way down. 2 full course meals were included in the dining car. We had a blast and you can't beat the price. It is also a laid back way to travel and you don't have to worry about driving. You walk everywhere in NO anyway!