Paulding.com

Where To Refer Someone?

Someone pays a large amount for tax preparation so they can get an income tax refund check a little quicker. They had a a car that runs but they want a different one so they buy one and have it financed at 24% interest. Then they say they need money for rent, etc. (These are not family members or anyone I know, but are people my husband comes into contact with from his work.) Giving them a loan or money does not solve the deeper problem so I was wondering what resources there might be that could help them learn to make better decisions?

What kind of classes or counseling is available? (Many live in the Austell and Mableton area.) I know they must be motivated to do something differently I just would like to give my husband some info he can give people if they are interested.

They probably don't think they have a problem, but I like what Dave Ramsey has to say.

Dave Ramsey Classes

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

I've heard of him but haven't listened to him or read his books.

What does he say about people who make poor financial decisions? Can they be encouraged in some way?

What does he say to do if they ask for money?

They probably don't think they have a problem, but I like what Dave Ramsey has to say.

Dave Ramsey Classes

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

Agreed.

I've heard of him but haven't listened to him or read his books.

What does he say about people who make poor financial decisions? If your sick and tired of being sick and tired, you can change it. Can they be encouraged in some way? He teaches them to live like no one else, so later, they can live like no one else. He only allows people to teach his class, that have been through his program and are now debt free. So you learn from someone who KNOWS it works!

What does he say to do if they ask for money? Don't give an alcoholic a drink.

Dave Ramsey is excellent. He has books out there if you can't find a class. I never took his class but listened every day on the radio. I took much of his advice and became debt free except for my house.

You might also try MUST ministries; they may have some suggestions.

I have often offered to help people set up a budget sheet. I have used mine for over 20 years. Set up a budget sheet based on when the bills are due combined with when and how often you are paid.

Good luck. It feels so good when you get those debts cleared up!

• Like 1

I agree that Dave Ramsey could be great for them. His money philosophy concerning couples and their money is that usually in every relationship there is a free spirirt (spender) and a saver(conservative with money). He is very good at teaching couples how to balance each other out. His bottom line is teaching you how to break bad habits, pay ONLY in cash and get out of debt forever with a realisitic budget.

However, I think this is about like trying to get somebody motivated to quit smoking, lose weight, break any unhealthy habit. They have to be sick of themselves and want to chnge. You can have the BEST information in the world and all the means right in front of someone to help them out of a hole but it wont work unless they want it.

These classes are offered everywhere. All different church denominations offer them. You can even go to classes for free at Consumer Credit Counseling but unless you really want to change, you just wont.

Dave Ramsey is excellent. He has books out there if you can't find a class. I never took his class but listened every day on the radio. I took much of his advice and became debt free except for my house.

You might also try MUST ministries; they may have some suggestions.

I have often offered to help people set up a budget sheet. I have used mine for over 20 years. Set up a budget sheet based on when the bills are due combined with when and how often you are paid.

Good luck. It feels so good when you get those debts cleared up!

Me too!

And we are debt free except the house! :yahoo:

Thanks for the responses.

My husband listens to them and then feels weighted down with their problems. I'm wondering what to say and do when they say that they need money to pay the rent and if they don't get it they and their wife and baby will be put out on the street, etc., while knowing they make poor decisions with any money they get (see my first post).

Also, this is several people, not just one, but they all do the same kind of things.

My husband listens to them and then feels weighted down with their problems. I'm wondering what to say and do when they say that they need money to pay the rent and if they don't get it they and their wife and baby will be put out on the street, etc., while knowing they make poor decisions with any money they get (see my first post).

Also, this is several people, not just one, but they all do the same kind of things.

I'd tell them I was giving them something better than that amount. I'd say I'll give you a fishing pole and not just a fish. The Money Makeover would really be a great gift(and they most likely would stop asking you for money whether they use the advice or not).

If you consider holding classes; they send you a few free books and reading brochures. I wanted to start a class at my office and HR wouldn't allow it. But the Ramsey gang insisted I keep the books they gave me. A truly great organization. I put the books into the lunch room and several folks read it.

I hate when ppl give me sad stories; I am a big softie. But, I made some very big sacrifices to get my bills paid off. So I don't GIVE money out. Not even to family. I lived years pulling my tired butt out of bed each morning and trying to be super mom at the same time.

I drove cars that embarrassed my children (and me). We had to choose between a movie rental or gas in the car; we asked grocery stores to cut cakes in half and then had to put something back that was already in the cart.

It was tough; but it sure builds character and my daughter still thanks me for those lessons; and she is now a very successful person.

Butterfly-I think they are just trying to use your sympathy as a tool against your husband to try and bilk some money from him/you. As Blondie said, giving them anything would just be encouraging this poor financial behavior further. The only way Dave would encourage anything being given to someone in their situation is if they initiated behavior change, i.e. you match the first $500 they pay on a credit card if they dont use the thing again.