Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
onekidmom

I know we have McEacher grads on here

He was a good man!

My link

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A former McEachern High School head football coach and Atlanta Falcons chaplain was mourned Friday after he was killed the night before while crossing a street in west Cobb County.

Cobb police spokesman Mike Bowman said Charles H. Collins, 66, was attempting to cross Atlanta Road in Smyrna just before 7 p.m. when he was hit by a southbound 2004 Chevrolet Silverado.

He was a good man!

My link

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A former McEachern High School head football coach and Atlanta Falcons chaplain was mourned Friday after he was killed the night before while crossing a street in west Cobb County.

Cobb police spokesman Mike Bowman said Charles H. Collins, 66, was attempting to cross Atlanta Road in Smyrna just before 7 p.m. when he was hit by a southbound 2004 Chevrolet Silverado.

This makes me very sad. I have to agree with Coach Dorsey, he was an excellent teacher. I hated any history class I ever had, especially the one where one coach just sat behind his desk and read the paper during the whole class, but Coach Collins made learning fun and got me interested, and that was not an easy task but he managed to do so.

He was an awesome and wonderful teacher and my thought and prayers go out to him and his family :(

• Like 1

His son in law is the head coach at Buford. One of his assistant coaches, Ryan Daniel, died from a heart attack on the basketball court a few weeks ago. He was 30.

Sorry if this sounds unrelated. I was just thinking how hard Jess Simpson (the son in law) had been hit lately.

Edited by feelip

Coach Collins was a great teacher and I had the privilege of being in one of his classes. But beyond being a great teacher, he was a great man with a big heart. I think everyone in his classes new that he genuinely cared about them. Prayers for his family.

• Like 1

Coach Collins was a great teacher and I had the privilege of being in one of his classes. But beyond being a great teacher, he was a great man with a big heart. I think everyone in his classes new that he genuinely cared about them. Prayers for his family.

Great man saw him at class reunion in August, sorry for wife and family

I remember him fondly. A very good man. His tests were not as easy to study for as coach P's were though. "You need to know..." made studying real simple. Prayers for his family.

Ken Rodriguez - fox5news- (who I graduated with) - said some nice things and has posted this on his FB page:

Here's the latest on Coach Collins:

A memorial service will be held on Monday, February 27th at 1:00pm at Smyrna First United Methodist Church, 1315 Concord Road, Smyrna, GA 30080. A reception will be held in the fellowship hall following the service. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to Athletes In Action - earmarked for “the Charles Collins Memorial”, 651 Taylor Drive, Xenia, Ohio 45385. Online donations to the memorial fund can be made by going to ccci.org and giving to account #2808379.

I've been seeing these posts on FB from my classmates. It's awful, I graduated in '84 and figure I must have been in one of his classes as some time or another but for the LIFE of me I cannot remember him.

My memory gets worse all of the time.

So very tragic for his family, they are in my thoughts. The most painful loss to deal with is the one that is completely unexpected and seemingly without reason :( .

A picture during the day.

post-12617-0-28676700-1330267206_thumb.jpg

I LOVE this pic! Coach Collins was a great teacher, coach, and mentor. Prayers for his family.

I remember him fondly. A very good man. His tests were not as easy to study for as coach P's were though. "You need to know..." made studying real simple. Prayers for his family.

Coach Collins made a huge impact on the lives of both me and one of my brothers, even years after we left school. The truth, dedication and sincerity he had in his Christian walk has stayed with me for decades. I would run into him every now and then and spend some time talking...the advice he gave in regard to daughters and dating was taken to heart and implemented when that time arrived and young male children began showing up on my front porch.

And LOL re: Coach Patrick..."All of you hush up, or I'll make you lick the door knobs." I loved his pseudo bonus questions for tests that he wrote on the board. They were hilarious and that was their sole intent...can't recall anyone getting the answer right because there was rarely any actual facts involved. My favorite was "Name the 1981 Weight Watchers Man of the Year." The answer was Bobby Sands, an Irish politico who died after going on a hunger strike for whatever his cause was.

Coincidentally, it was Coach Patrick who broke Coach Collins' string of consecutive years being named "Favorite McEachern teacher." It was my senior class who made the vote which broke the years-long streak...but many of us felt almost guilty about voting for Coach P.

Coach Collins made a huge impact on the lives of both me and one of my brothers, even years after we left school. The truth, dedication and sincerity he had in his Christian walk has stayed with me for decades. I would run into him every now and then and spend some time talking...the advice he gave in regard to daughters and dating was taken to heart and implemented when that time arrived and young male children began showing up on my front porch.

And LOL re: Coach Patrick..."All of you hush up, or I'll make you lick the door knobs." I loved his pseudo bonus questions for tests that he wrote on the board. They were hilarious and that was their sole intent...can't recall anyone getting the answer right because there was rarely any actual facts involved. My favorite was "Name the 1981 Weight Watchers Man of the Year." The answer was Bobby Sands, an Irish politico who died after going on a hunger strike for whatever his cause was.

Coincidentally, it was Coach Patrick who broke Coach Collins' string of consecutive years being named "Favorite McEachern teacher." It was my senior class who made the vote which broke the years-long streak...but many of us felt almost guilty about voting for Coach P.

We stayed on Coach P. all year about the "bonus question" thing. He finally relented and said "Ok, you ask me a question about history. If I can't answer it, I'll give you the bonus point". I got my point with "During the battle of Leyte Gulf, what caused the Japanese's most powerful battleship, Yamato, to turn tail and run away from the battle with the vastly outguned invasion force's defence ships?" The answer... 2 torpedos fired from an American Destroyer that just happened to catch the Yamato momentarily "turned away". They were set at the Yamato's maximum speed and she could no longer turn back towards the battle because it would slow her down and the torpedos would have struck her.:yahoo: His reply.. " I dunno... Godzilla"