Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
baseballmom

ATTEMPTED Child Abduction at Bremen Wally World

I saw this on the news this morning... Thank goodness that little girl knew what to do.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Bremen-Police-Probe-Attempted-Child-Abduction-20120208-pm-sd?obref=obinsite

All I could think about is how terribly close that is & I will NEVER let my girls out of my sight in a store again!!!

That was horrible, but why on earth was the mother buying groceries while her 7 year old was in toys alone? That is exactly why 4th grader is NEVER out of my sight. The little girl did the right thing and saved herself and I am SOOOO happy about that.

• Like 2

That was horrible, but why on earth was the mother buying groceries while her 7 year old was in toys alone? That is exactly why 4th grader is NEVER out of my sight. The little girl did the right thing and saved herself and I am SOOOO happy about that.

I asked my self the same question and I do not care what Walmart you are at, there is a big gap between looking at strawberries and the the child being in the Toy dept. I hope this is a lesson for all of us.

That was horrible, but why on earth was the mother buying groceries while her 7 year old was in toys alone?

Uh...YEAH. One of my nephews can lag behind me when I turn the corner to another aisle and I immediately make a u-turn so I can see him till he catches up. The thought of him being out of my sight freaks me out.

• Like 1

IKR, she said she only turned her back for a few seconds. Bull!!

she needs to time herself as to how long it took her to get to the strawberries and back to toys. I do think she may have learned a valuable lesson.

Uh...YEAH. One of my nephews can lag behind me when I turn the corner to another aisle and I immediately make a u-turn so I can see him till he catches up. The thought of him being out of my sight freaks me out.

I S-W-E-A-R we are the same person!!!!!! :D

I know for a fact that the store is gigantic and the toys are on one side and the groceries are on the other. Thats more than a few feet. Unless the news got it wrong, but they said Mom was getting groceries and the child was in the toy dept.

But obviously she wasn't within eyesight or he couldn't have grabbed her without Mom knowing it.....I wouldn't think so anyway.

I was in Kohls lat month ad this young man came up to me to ask if i knew how much a certain item was.

He was alone, with no ther adult in sight.

Turns out his grandma was on th other side of the store.

I was in Kohls lat month ad this young man came up to me to ask if i knew how much a certain item was.

He was alone, with no ther adult in sight.

Turns out his grandma was on th other side of the store.

That is why I don't let 4th grader go anywhere with anyone but me, Hubby, his sisters and brother-in-laws, because they know the consequences if something happens to him if they aren't paying attention......added to the fact that I trust them. Sometimes even if you tell people to 'watch them at all times', they may not.

We were at The Raccoon Creek Bluegrass Festival and a little kid had palled around with 4th grader for at least 2 hours and we never saw any kind of adult looking out for him. About 9:45 when we were ready to leave, Hubby insisted to the child that we needed to find his parents. After looking for a half an hour, we finally found his Dad and he wasn't concerned in the least that his child had been running around with strangers for 3 hours. What if we had been molesters or child killers? It happens, people are crazy!

+ 1,000,000,000,000.

People who let their little ones wander in a store or the neighborhood, etc tick me off to no end! This is NOT Mayberry 1950 and your children deserve to be protected from the sickos that we all KNOW are out there. Whether you like it or not, they ARE there and they are always searching for a safe haven and a good opportunity. We have to be ever vigilant and not pretend it doesnt "happen here". When I read that the Mom said that, I REALLY invisioned myself slapping her and giving her a piece of my mind....explicatives galore :angry: .

That is why I don't let 4th grader go anywhere with anyone but me, Hubby, his sisters and brother-in-laws, because they know the consequences if something happens to him if they aren't paying attention......added to the fact that I trust them. Sometimes even if you tell people to 'watch them at all times', they may not.

We were at The Raccoon Creek Bluegrass Festival and a little kid had palled around with 4th grader for at least 2 hours and we never saw any kind of adult looking out for him. About 9:45 when we were ready to leave, Hubby insisted to the child that we needed to find his parents. After looking for a half an hour, we finally found his Dad and he wasn't concerned in the least that his child had been running around with strangers for 3 hours. What if we had been molesters or child killers? It happens, people are crazy!

Smart Mama :clapping: .

I made more than a couple of people angry and they may have felt insulted when I learned that their ways and my ways of watching my child were not on the same level. But, who cares if they get mad? If I dont protect my children, who will?!?!?! I will never apoligize for that.

I showed my kids a video just a bit ago. And reminded them of what to do if this ever did happen

We just talked with the kids about it at dinner and asked them if they wanted to watch, they said they did. We might have some bad dreams tonight but hopefully they are more aware than ever. Scary as heck... Dude was already on parole for manslaughter and no telling what would have happened to that little girl had she not fought.

I showed my kids a video just a bit ago. And reminded them of what to do if this ever did happen

Ive been talking to my young step-daughters about this, too. Their Mother doesnt get it. She lets them ride their bikes all the way down the street and around a corner for hours while she takes a nap :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: . NO, no and hayell no. They are 5 and 9. No freakin way. She is living in a bubble.

I make the girls tell me the 3 rules of playing outside every single time they are in my care and are about to go outside(they do NOT leave our yard, btw). I give them all sorts of scenarios at random times to see what they'd do(age appropriate of course). They actually like it and think its sort of a game but they are learning and will know what to do.

The youngest one once had this convo with me when I first started keeping them:

What would you do if someone in a car stopped and said your Mom is sick and they had to take you to the hospital to see her?

I would say no and come and get you.

Good. Okay, so what if a man with the cutest little puppies came up and told you that you can pet them but you have to come next to the car?

Oh! I LOVE puppies!!! I would wanna pet them.........

Gah! I called her Dad immediately and he was as freaked out as I was. Sad but true, you have to be talking to them all the time and use your imagination, too.

Ive been talking to my young step-daughters about this, too. Their Mother doesnt get it. She lets them ride their bikes all the way down the street and around a corner for hours while she takes a nap :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: . NO, no and hayell no. They are 5 and 9. No freakin way. She is living in a bubble.

I make the girls tell me the 3 rules of playing outside every single time they are in my care and are about to go outside(they do NOT leave our yard, btw). I give them all sorts of scenarios at random times to see what they'd do(age appropriate of course). They actually like it and think its sort of a game but they are learning and will know what to do.

The youngest one once had this convo with me when I first started keeping them:

What would you do if someone in a car stopped and said your Mom is sick and they had to take you to the hospital to see her?

I would say no and come and get you.

Good. Okay, so what if a man with the cutest little puppies came up and told you that you can pet them but you have to come next to the car?

Oh! I LOVE puppies!!! I would wanna pet them.........

Gah! I called her Dad immediately and he was as freaked out as I was. Sad but true, you have to be talking to them all the time and use your imagination, too.

Sounds like 2 little girls in my subdivison... I never see the mom watching them. I try to keep my eye on them when they are down near my house.

Smart Mama :clapping: .

I made more than a couple of people angry and they may have felt insulted when I learned that their ways and my ways of watching my child were not on the same level. But, who cares if they get mad? If I dont protect my children, who will?!?!?! I will never apoligize for that.

Me neither. I only have 1 10 year old boy and it's my sole job in life at this point to make sure he gets to adulthood safe and sound. The naysayers be damned!

wayyyyyy back in the day (and i mean the 70's when i was a kid...not even when my own were small) My nanny and mother would go shop at Kroger every week and my aunt who was four yrs older than men could have free roam of the whole little strip mall. We had Woolworths, and JCPenney outlet, and Cloth World with lots of craft stuff. Was perfectly safe back then and they only allowed this when we were old enough to kick the crap out of someone (12ish) Never do I recall even allowing mine any further than ONE AISLE in the small grocery stores. They would look at magazines of course and i would slow my roll long enough to make it to the end of the next aisle so they could pick out a Golden Book they didnt already have, but then i would tell them times up and they'd come immediately. I hate people who consider the toys the babysitting area just cause there are other kids around....thats why the toy dept. is always destroyed.

wayyyyyy back in the day (and i mean the 70's when i was a kid...not even when my own were small) My nanny and mother would go shop at Kroger every week and my aunt who was four yrs older than men could have free roam of the whole little strip mall. We had Woolworths, and JCPenney outlet, and Cloth World with lots of craft stuff. Was perfectly safe back then and they only allowed this when we were old enough to kick the crap out of someone (12ish) Never do I recall even allowing mine any further than ONE AISLE in the small grocery stores. They would look at magazines of course and i would slow my roll long enough to make it to the end of the next aisle so they could pick out a Golden Book they didnt already have, but then i would tell them times up and they'd come immediately. I hate people who consider the toys the babysitting area just cause there are other kids around....thats why the toy dept. is always destroyed.

OMG, JCP Outlet!!!! That is where I met Hubby and I had forgotten about Cloth World!! AAAHHHH, the memories!

Edited by momof 3

I've had talks with my sons about if anyone tried to touch them inappropriately. And this made me realize I hadn't really told them what to do if someone tried to grab them or get them in a car ect. So I had that conversation with my 5 year old, gonna tell my 3 year old the same and hope it sticks! I'm thinking about showing my 5 year old the video so he realizes it's a real threat. Do you think I should or is he to young? I know when I'm at the store alone with my two boys they both stay in the cart, I'm overly protective! I can't imagine the guilt that mother feels and I hope she has learned a lesson!

Teeny hi-jack:

I grew up with those places, too, in Marietta, on Roswell Road. My second PT job as a teen was at Woolworths.:)

OMG, JCP Outlet!!!! That is where I met Hubby and I had forgotten about Cloth World!! AAAHHHH, the memories!

HAHAHA! I just commented on the SAME thing, Momof3. Those were a big part of my life. We went to the ones on Roswell Rd in Marietta and also the Woolworths in Smyrna at Cobb Center. My Grandmother was a professional seamstress and made custom mens suits at Sauls there. We would go have lunch with her once a week at the cafeteria there(I cant remember the name of it...darn it). We'd look around in Sauls, Richs, Woolworths, Kesslers and Bakers shoes(where they had shoes that were actually my size). Fun memories.:D

Ok, I just have to ask, because I haven't seen anyone else mention this... what was a 7 year old doing at Walmart at 11:00am on a weekday. Shouldn't she have been in school?

Probably some kooky "un-schooling" family. It would actually make sense if that were the case. I mean, it would help explain the Mothers reasoning for letting her child freely wander the store out of her sight...too stupid for words.

HAHAHA! I just commented on the SAME thing, Momof3. Those were a big part of my life. We went to the ones on Roswell Rd in Marietta and also the Woolworths in Smyrna at Cobb Center. My Grandmother was a professional seamstress and made custom mens suits at Sauls there. We would go have lunch with her once a week at the cafeteria there(I cant remember the name of it...darn it). We'd look around in Sauls, Richs, Woolworths, Kesslers and Bakers shoes(where they had shoes that were actually my size). Fun memories.:D

This is so funny! I remember Sauls and all of the places at Cobb Center. My niece potty trained herself when she was right at 2, because she saw and wanted 'fancy panties' from Kesslers, they had ruffles on them. The condition was that she had to use the potty and I'll be danged if it didn't work beautifully!! I recall the cafeteria and I think it was called Davis Bros. and it seems like that there was a KFC attached and that is where they got their

chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy.....YUM!!!! I got my first set of dishes at Woolworths. This has brought back so many good memories, thanks!!! :)

Probably some kooky "un-schooling" family. It would actually make sense if that were the case. I mean, it would help explain the Mothers reasoning for letting her child freely wander the store out of her sight...too stupid for words.

Hey now!

ohmy.gif

If Dd didn't have special needs, I'd be all over being an un-schooler.

I am neither kooky (in the sense you're referring to), nor would I let my child roam freely around a store, nor am I too stupid for words. dry.gif

Mom screwed up and almost had a molested and/or dead kid. That part I get.

What few seemed to be mentioning is that they were brave enough to air this on television, showing that their daughter fought back and it worked.

While the child should never have had to defend for herself (that's what parents are for), it's also encouraging to see, through video, that this really does deter kidnapping and will encourage parents to teach the same to their child.

Um no she isn't. But WOW on that statement <_<

http://www.ajc.com/news/7-year-old-honored-1344732.html

Hey now!

ohmy.gif

If Dd didn't have special needs, I'd be all over being an un-schooler.

I am neither kooky (in the sense you're referring to), nor would I let my child roam freely around a store, nor am I too stupid for words. dry.gif

Mom screwed up and almost had a molested and/or dead kid. That part I get.

What few seemed to be mentioning is that they were brave enough to air this on television, showing that their daughter fought back and it worked.

While the child should never have had to defend for herself (that's what parents are for), it's also encouraging to see, through video, that this really does deter kidnapping and will encourage parents to teach the same to their child.

i was figuring the child was sickly and they were at walmart after medications and she decided to get some other things...first thing i said to hubby was the same thing though.."why was this child even there that time of morning?" lol....and well said lgm...i thought it was great the kid just didnt scream and then get a hand shoved over her face to muffle it. I would like to think SOMEONE in the Bremen area would have intervened or at least stopped him to make sure things were actually okay if he had her muffled and running out with her. There are some pretty good old ombres out there and if a MALE saw that i think he would st least ask the kid if she were okay...sure hope so anyways. Then again ya never know anymore cause folks are scared to "get involved" which is sad to me the world has come to that. Homeschooling is just fine....as long as they keep up with what the child is supposed to be learning and do proper testing to make certain they are progressing properly. I think parents sometimes have a better chance GETTING THRU to their own kids than another adult and a room full of other kids. Cons...not enough contact with other children their ages and learning to cope with crowds and "find their way" but that can be fixed with play dates and such.