Paulding.com

MONICA KAUFMAN (PEARSON) IS RETIRING.....

Monica announced yesterday she is retiring sometime in July, I think. (She will always be Monica Kaufman to me)

It seems like Monica has always been there, and certainly gave some of us something to look forward to.......her fashion and especially her "hairdos", and of course her interviews.

What I didn't realize was:

News Anchor for WSB-TV, Channel 2, the ABC affiliate in Atlanta, Georgia. Monica Kaufman is the first African-American AND the first woman to become News Anchor in the Atlanta market, and has been in that position with WSB-TV since 1975. She has held the same job position at the same station longer than any other television personality in Atlanta and longer than most women in the country. She is well known for her occasional TV specials, "Monica Kaufman's Close-Ups" that feature in-depth interviews with nationally known celebrities and world leaders.

WSB TV is not my choice for news, but tonight they will be presenting over 30 years of Monica's "hairdos"! :)

There is a page for her on FB.

Here's another little known fact:

When Monica interviewed for the position on WSB she was up against another black woman for the job.

Ultimately we all know Monica got the job.

Many years later, Monica did an interview with the woman that she beat out for the job.

That woman said she was really upset she didn't get the job at the time, but she supposed it all worked out in the end.

That woman was Oprah Winfrey.

Edited by Blondiega1

I still call her Monica Kaufman...lol...If fact last night I was telling hubby and said Kaufman and didn't even think about it til now. My dad watched the news on Channel 2 all the time when we were younger that's what I have known her as for years don't think I can ever call her Monica Pearson.

Pearson, ends her television career just a few months after Oprah Winfrey ceremoniously called it quits on her show as well.

I know you’re like, ‘why bring up Oprah?’… well did you know that Kaufman actually beat out Winfrey for the WSB Anchor position?

According to the AJC, Monica says that she plans to write a book, go to grad school and work on a travel website.

Monica-Kaufman-Hairstyles-520x370.png

source

I love Monica and Amanda Davis, but Brenda Wood is my favorite.

I grew up watching Brenda Wood in Memphis, I was thrilled when she moved to Atlanta.

I always admired Monica, she was a gutsy lady, she did what she wanted with her hair and make-up, I think that says a lot about how secure you are with yourself.

She was always herself in the way she presented news her facial expressions were all her own.

I think that is why I dislike botox injections, I understand why people do it, tv is about looking good, but the injections make people look plastic and less animated, so they are not as engaging.

Pearson, ends her television career just a few months after Oprah Winfrey ceremoniously called it quits on her show as well.

I know you’re like, ‘why bring up Oprah?’… well did you know that Kaufman actually beat out Winfrey for the WSB Anchor position?

According to the AJC, Monica says that she plans to write a book, go to grad school and work on a travel website.

Monica-Kaufman-Hairstyles-520x370.png

source

That's what I said! Two posts up! :lol:

WSB has had some long term anchors.

Don Farmer, who as I recalled left the anchor desk to become the general manager.

Hal Suit, who went waaayyyy back and ran for governor in 1970 or so on the Republican ticket..

And now Monica.

Good heavens - I haven't thought of Hal Suit in FOREVER! Now, that's going back aways! I also found out last night that Justin Farmer, who has taken over for John Pruitt, is Don Farmer's son. We could add Pruitt to that list of long-time anchors, since he wound up there after Channel 11 stupidly dumped him a long time ago (mid-late 80s?). I remember I wrote him a note and told him how much I had appreciated his fine reporting, and he sent me a hand-written thank-you note.