Paulding.com

What to do about V.D.

I hate Valentines day, we do exchange cards but thats it. I figure if Hubby can't bring me flowers on any given day besides a day that it is expected, he can keep them and he KNOWS way better than to SEND flowers. Anyone can pick up the phone, use a credit card and let someone else do the work.

• Like 2

Glad you brought it up because I have been thinking about it.

I don't think my husband has ever been thrilled with the traditional retail Valentines, you know candy, flower, balloons. I don't like cards getting or giving them, the family is aware of this but we do it anyway because it is what you do.

We don't eat out much either, not because of money just because we are not into it.

We loved to make a romantic night of it years ago because the kids were small and it was a treat to put aside a night for ourselves, with them grown and gone we have an evening when ever we want.

I really don't want the box of candy, I have some of the nicer ones put away that I store all the old cards in and I still have more Christmas chocolate left than I will eat.

I assume we will at least do the card thing, short of a cruise we can skip it.

Why a cruise because that would be special, but it is not necessary to make me happy.

I know how much I am loved everyday, not the romantic love but the take care of me when I am sick love, doing things daily to make my burden lighter.

No way can a retail valentines card top that.

Maybe I will compose my own card talking about all the things he has done this last year that make me feel loved and secure, I want him to feel appreciated.

• Like 1

We have been married 22 years and are not the real mushy type anyway. Sometimes one of us will show up with a card, but not always. Both our birthdays are in February too. That means that we have to pay the car taxes this month. Valentine's day is just one more thing to spend money on that we don't need to spend money on. :)

Glad you brought it up because I have been thinking about it.

I don't think my husband has ever been thrilled with the traditional retail Valentines, you know candy, flower, balloons. I don't like cards getting or giving them, the family is aware of this but we do it anyway because it is what you do.

We don't eat out much either, not because of money just because we are not into it.

We loved to make a romantic night of it years ago because the kids were small and it was a treat to put aside a night for ourselves, with them grown and gone we have an evening when ever we want.

I really don't want the box of candy, I have some of the nicer ones put away that I store all the old cards in and I still have more Christmas chocolate left than I will eat.

I assume we will at least do the card thing, short of a cruise we can skip it.

Why a cruise because that would be special, but it is not necessary to make me happy.

I know how much I am loved everyday, not the romantic love but the take care of me when I am sick love, doing things daily to make my burden lighter.

No way can a retail valentines card top that.

Maybe I will compose my own card talking about all the things he has done this last year that make me feel loved and secure, I want him to feel appreciated.

Exactly. I always told my girls to skip the romantic, charming men and go with the one who would hold your hair back while you were puking.......those are the real keepers, and luckily we all three have keepers!!

I used to hate Valentine's day.

I thought it was a bunch of smushy crap.

I used to think that no one REALLY felt that way about each other, that you just found someone you kind of got a long with and tried to make a go at it.

I used to think that there were no Prince Charmings, that "love" only happened in the movies or on "TV" and that "love" did not really exist.

That's what I used to think.

Now I know better.

And I look forward to Valentine's Day and every day.

It makes me so happy to get random text messages from Papi saying, "I'm thinking about you."

I love when he would randomly bring me flowers.

And I cherish every moment we have together.

This Valentine's Day, we may not be going out to dinner, or doing anything special, but I know I am loved like I have never been loved and like I never thought existed.

• Like 1

Valentine's Day will be a little sad for me from now on because it was my father's birthday - he would have been 84 this year. :wub: When I was growing up we always had fun with the day because of that.

My husband and I have never made a huge deal out of it - we exchange cards and occasionally some kind of candy. For *us*, there are two bigger days in February: his transplant anniversary on the 19th and our wedding anniversary on the 29th. ^_^

My husband and I will probably go to the Blue Brick, a French restaurant in Villa Rica, or to the Four Seasons for dinner. One year he took me to Morton's but I prefer the Blue Brick, honestly. My FAVORITE was when he took me to Victoria and Albert's in Orlando. It was for our anniversary but it was the best meal I've ever had in my life. I wish we could make that one again!

I used to hate Valentine's day.

I thought it was a bunch of smushy crap.

I used to think that no one REALLY felt that way about each other, that you just found someone you kind of got a long with and tried to make a go at it.

I used to think that there were no Prince Charmings, that "love" only happened in the movies or on "TV" and that "love" did not really exist.

That's what I used to think.

Now I know better.

And I look forward to Valentine's Day and every day.

It makes me so happy to get random text messages from Papi saying, "I'm thinking about you."

I love when he would randomly bring me flowers.

And I cherish every moment we have together.

This Valentine's Day, we may not be going out to dinner, or doing anything special, but I know I am loved like I have never been loved and like I never thought existed.

I used to feel EXACTLY the way you did. I always hated Valentines Day.

I dated a guy for a few months and I had known him since we were teens. He was so extremely romantic, like stuff in a movie. I HATED it :bad: . He embarrassed me so many times and I finally had to tell him that that just wasnt me and he needed to be with someone who craved that kind of attention. He once sent such a HUGE bouquet of flowers in a 4 ft vase(no kidding) to my job...had to cost over $200. I made a bee-line to the trunk of my car and thats where they stayed til I got home that night.

I told a good friend and she said simply, "you dont love him. If you did, you'd love that stuff". At first I questioned that theory but now that I have found the man that is totally right for me, you cant get too mushy for me. I have NEVER been that way til now.

He's not overly mushy and neither am I, by nature, but when he does do something really sweet, it means everything to me instead of embarrassing me and getting on my nerves. My friends advice was right.

During my marriage(16 yrs), he always wanted me to be really romantic and sentimental and I guess I was to a certain extent but it ALWAYS felt forced. I did not look forward to days when I knew there would be pressure to be mushy. He would actually get his feelings hurt if I didnt give just the right gift or say the perfect thing. It was work for me, not fun.

So, with all that said, I think its all about who you're with as well as what sort of couple you are. If you're just not into it, it doesnt mean anything negative-be who you are. What works for one couple and makes them happy would never work for the next couple who would be running for divorce lawyers.

We are planning to go out to dinner/dancing(me all big and pregnant, that should be fun to watch :mellow: )and I know he bought a small gift but it is sentimental...not expensive jewelery, etc.

I agree, too, with Momof3. He has brought me flowers twice this year, and did the same many times before, for NO REASON and that means a lot to me. I dont care a thing about getting them on a day that he feels pressured. And, I'd have a fit if he spent the money to deliver them.

I used to feel EXACTLY the way you did. I always hated Valentines Day.

I dated a guy for a few months and I had known him since we were teens. He was so extremely romantic, like stuff in a movie. I HATED it :bad: . He embarrassed me so many times and I finally had to tell him that that just wasnt me and he needed to be with someone who craved that kind of attention. He once sent such a HUGE bouquet of flowers in a 4 ft vase(no kidding) to my job...had to cost over $200. I made a bee-line to the trunk of my car and thats where they stayed til I got home that night.

I told a good friend and she said simply, "you dont love him. If you did, you'd love that stuff". At first I questioned that theory but now that I have found the man that is totally right for me, you cant get too mushy for me. I have NEVER been that way til now.

He's not overly mushy and neither am I, by nature, but when he does do something really sweet, it means everything to me instead of embarrassing me and getting on my nerves. My friends advice was right.

During my marriage(16 yrs), he always wanted me to be really romantic and sentimental and I guess I was to a certain extent but it ALWAYS felt forced. I did not look forward to days when I knew there would be pressure to be mushy. He would actually get his feelings hurt if I didnt give just the right gift or say the perfect thing. It was work for me, not fun.

So, with all that said, I think its all about who you're with as well as what sort of couple you are. If you're just not into it, it doesnt mean anything negative-be who you are. What works for one couple and makes them happy would never work for the next couple who would be running for divorce lawyers.

We are planning to go out to dinner/dancing(me all big and pregnant, that should be fun to watch :mellow: )and I know he bought a small gift but it is sentimental...not expensive jewelery, etc.

I agree, too, with Momof3. He has brought me flowers twice this year, and did the same many times before, for NO REASON and that means a lot to me. I dont care a thing about getting them on a day that he feels pressured. And, I'd have a fit if he spent the money to deliver them.

Thats it in a nutshell. I want to be thought of at a moment that is not expected. Just before Christmas, Hubby called before he came home and said, 'I got you something today'. I thought he meant for Christmas. But when he came in, I had to close my eyes and he had brought me a 6 pack of Orange Crush in bottles. I LOVE ORANGE CRUSH in bottles and to know that at an uneventful moment he thought about me, means WAAAAAY more than any Valentines present ever could.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 1

Thats it in a nutshell. I want to be thought of at a moment that is not expected. Just before Christmas, Hubby called before he came home and said, 'I got you something today'. I thought he meant for Christmas. But when he came in, I had to close my eyes and he had brought me a 6 pack of Orange Crush in bottles. I LOVE ORANGE CRUSH in bottles and to know that at an uneventful moment he thought about me, means WAAAAAY more than any Valentines present ever could.

You have a very good husband. That is just the sort of thing that I love, too.

I know I value and appreciate it a lot more now after going through a horrible divorce and really being stuck in a marriage I wanted to be happy in but always had to walk on eggshells to try to pacify him, which only makes things worse year upon year(like spoiling a child). So, now, I love any thought or the smallest gesture and it means so much to me.

He brought me a Reeses the other day b/c someone came to his job selling them. He knows I love a Reeses and I really dont eat any other candy at all so that meant as much to me as a dozen roses.

I have a lifelong friend who once lined their kitchen counter with 10 big bags of lays bbq chips after making a Subway run and getting the wrong chips for his wife. She said she felt so silly but it really kind of hurt her feelings that they had 3 babies together and after 15 yrs, he didnt know she LOVED lays bbq chips.She laughed and laughed and called a few of us to tell us about it when she came home and saw them-she knew EXACTLY why they were there.

She passed away suddenly of complications from their 3rd baby 6 weeks after her C-section(a year ago). Andy came home from the hospital that horrible day with no Christa, the love of his life, and the first thing he saw were those huge bags of chips lining the counter.

Little things go a long way when its for the one you love and it is genuine.

• Like 1

You have a very good husband. That is just the sort of thing that I love, too.

I know I value and appreciate it a lot more now after going through a horrible divorce and really being stuck in a marriage I wanted to be happy in but always had to walk on eggshells to try to pacify him, which only makes things worse year upon year(like spoiling a child). So, now, I love any thought or the smallest gesture and it means so much to me.

He brought me a Reeses the other day b/c someone came to his job selling them. He knows I love a Reeses and I really dont eat any other candy at all so that meant as much to me as a dozen roses.

I have a lifelong friend who once lined their kitchen counter with 10 big bags of lays bbq chips after making a Subway run and getting the wrong chips for his wife. She said she felt so silly but it really kind of hurt her feelings that they had 3 babies together and after 15 yrs, he didnt know she LOVED lays bbq chips.She laughed and laughed and called a few of us to tell us about it when she came home and saw them-she knew EXACTLY why they were there.

She passed away suddenly of complications from their 3rd baby 6 weeks after her C-section(a year ago). Andy came home from the hospital that horrible day with no Christa, the love of his life, and the first thing he saw were those huge bags of chips lining the counter.

Little things go a long way when its for the one you love and it is genuine.

See, he saw the guy selling Reeses and thought that you would love them, a spur of the moment thing.........that is the best! Like you said, better than a dozen roses.

I'm so sorry about your friend, what a sad day!

• Like 2

There is nothing more romantic than a person caring enough to find out what it is that you like and surprising you with it, actually caring enough to get to know you by listening and watching. Unfortunately you can be with someone for years and they still don't know you.

• Like 2

I know I said we usually don't do anything but yesterday I ran across something that I had to buy. At Christmas a couple of the younger kids got these little radio control helicopters. My hubby played with them more than the kids did. I knew when I saw one online that it would be the perfect gift.

• Like 1

Noooooo, don't ignore Valentine's Day-just make it better. Why spend $4 on a card, when you can stop by the bakery and get a very tasty "I love you?" We will have a single Piece of My Heart Red Velvet Cupcake in a clear container, tied with a red ribbon for only $2.00. We will also have mini cheesecakes and heart shaped cakes, cookies and more. I love Valentine's Day. There are so many wonderful people in my life that I like to say "I love you" to. My daddy, who always remembered me growing up with a small heart shaped box of chocolates, my kids, my hubby. It will be our 30th anniversary! We never spend much money, but we do try to make it a special night. We go out to eat, alone, or sometimes with my whole crazy family! Life is too short-I plan on enjoying and taking advantage of every moment to be happy and "feel the love."

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Noooooo, don't ignore Valentine's Day-just make it better. Why spend $4 on a card, when you can stop by the bakery and get a very tasty "I love you?" We will have a single Piece of My Heart Red Velvet Cupcake in a clear container, tied with a red ribbon for only $2.00. We will also have mini cheesecakes and heart shaped cakes, cookies and more. I love Valentine's Day. There are so many wonderful people in my life that I like to say "I love you" to. My daddy, who always remembered me growing up with a small heart shaped box of chocolates, my kids, my hubby. It will be our 30th anniversary! We never spend much money, but we do try to make it a special night. We go out to eat, alone, or sometimes with my whole crazy family! Life is too short-I plan on enjoying and taking advantage of every moment to be happy and "feel the love."

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

OK, that I can do, Hubby LOVES red velvet cupcakes. Do we need to pre-order or just drop in?

What are your hours?

Unless something happens, I'll be in the Hospital having a C-Section and getting my tubes tied.

Cheers to me :drinks:

A baby.....YAY!!!! Tubes tied.....YAY!!! I hope all goes well!

You can preorder if you like or just drop in. We will have them ready and if you like I will set one aside for you. Our hours are Tues-Friday 11am-7pm and Sat from 10am -5pm. We are usually closed Sunday and Monday. However, with it being a holiday, we will be at the bakery Monday afternoon anyway, baking for Tuesday, so I will probably turn the OPEN sign on just in case anyone wants to pop in. Or if they want to order cookies or cupcakes for their kids' class. Or to take something to their office on Tues.

OK, that I can do, Hubby LOVES red velvet cupcakes. Do we need to pre-order or just drop in?

What are your hours?

A baby.....YAY!!!! Tubes tied.....YAY!!! I hope all goes well!

me too!