Paulding.com

Tornado Sirens

Although Paulding County has a limited budget like many other counties in the US, there is a significant need for Tornado Sirens for the unincorporated parts of the county. Here is a strategic example of where the sirens are needed - New Georgia, Union/Yorkville, Cedarcrest, and Burnt Hickory communities.

Edited by starpianist
  • Like 2

Although Paulding County has a limited budget like many other counties in the US, there is a significant need for Tornado Sirens for the unincorporated parts of the county. Here is a strategic example of where the sirens are needed - New Georgia, Union/Yorkville, Cedarcrest, and Burnt Hickory communities.

What will it take to get it done?

Will a petition work?

What will it take to get it done?

Will a petition work?

I don't know why this is in Animal House.

You can have my sirens. They don't just go off when there's a warning but anytime there is a watch or even bad thunderstorm. They don't wake me up anyway if I'm asleep. Speaking of Animals, they freak my dogs out, too.

I don't think anyone should RELY on tornado sirens. There are too many variables going on with people that pretty much make them ineffective. The hearing impaired, moms with screaming kids, music too loud, not close enough to the siren, well insulated house, yada yada yada would not hear them anyway. You'd have to have a siren every square mile and then how annoying would that be? Ugh. In this age of technology, there are so many more reliable ways to get alerts via landline, cell phone, text, email, tv and weather radio. I think that is where the money needs to go instead of the big ol' sirens that most people either can't hear or choose to ignore.

I lived less than a mile from the one in Dallas for years and many times I never heard a squeek from that thing. :mellow:

I don't think anyone should RELY on tornado sirens. There are too many variables going on with people that pretty much make them ineffective. The hearing impaired, moms with screaming kids, music too loud, not close enough to the siren, well insulated house, yada yada yada would not hear them anyway. You'd have to have a siren every square mile and then how annoying would that be? Ugh. In this age of technology, there are so many more reliable ways to get alerts via landline, cell phone, text, email, tv and weather radio. I think that is where the money needs to go instead of the big ol' sirens that most people either can't hear or choose to ignore.

I lived less than a mile from the one in Dallas for years and many times I never heard a squeek from that thing. :mellow:

Valid points. And I love Nixle.

Only time us residents of Burnt Hickory Comm. can hear them is if the air/wind is just right. What we need is one huge one. Growing up we lived out in the country about 15-20 miles from Purdue University in Indiana. We could here them just fine. That is a huge radius. Growing up there I have gotten the natural instinct to just watch the sky since I know exactly what to look for (wall cloud etc) and not to depend on them though. Nighttime is a different story. Get a weather radio, it may go off frequently during a bad storm, but better be safe than sorry. If there are ANY tornado warnings at night I refuse to go to bed. In 94 my sister's 12 yr old friend and her stepdad were lost from a nighttime tornado. Rain wrapped isn't any better.

Edited by janko9

Many/most of the folks near Crossroads/Cedarcrest can hear the sirens coming from Cobb. And good luck with getting the sirens instealled. A lot of folks don't think they're that effective, and with the budget issue, well...

Do you have a NOAA weather radio programmed to activate for watches and warnings issued for Paulding and surrounding counties? You're more likely to hear a weather radio versus outdoor warning sirens and the weather radios are more cost effective for you as well as the county versus trying to install outdoor sirens in attempt to notify EVERY citizen in the county. The reason I say EVERY is who decides where the sirens go and what areas of the county are more important than another? A life is a life and those types of tough decisions don't come easy.

Weather sirens are designed to work in an outdoor environment (school campus, parks and recreational facilities, industrial/business complexes, etc) or areas where people wouldn't typically have easy access to alerting systems such as a weather radio. You must also consider the amount of area one siren covers is only a couple of square miles. To effectively cover a county as big as Paulding with enough sirens to make a significant attempt at mass notification you're looking at 150+ sirens at $30k each. I doubt the county or citizens are willing to spend $4.5 million on a system that would accomplish the same thing as each citizen taking responsibility and buying their own $30 weather radio and ensuring it functions as designed. Just like maintaining smoke and carbon monoxide detectors with fresh batteries, you focus on what's important to your families safety to make sure you're prepared.

Just some things to consider before putting this expensive burden on the backs of the county.

• Like 1

Do you have a NOAA weather radio programmed to activate for watches and warnings issued for Paulding and surrounding counties? You're more likely to hear a weather radio versus outdoor warning sirens and the weather radios are more cost effective for you as well as the county versus trying to install outdoor sirens in attempt to notify EVERY citizen in the county. The reason I say EVERY is who decides where the sirens go and what areas of the county are more important than another? A life is a life and those types of tough decisions don't come easy.

Weather sirens are designed to work in an outdoor environment (school campus, parks and recreational facilities, industrial/business complexes, etc) or areas where people wouldn't typically have easy access to alerting systems such as a weather radio. You must also consider the amount of area one siren covers is only a couple of square miles. To effectively cover a county as big as Paulding with enough sirens to make a significant attempt at mass notification you're looking at 150+ sirens at $30k each. I doubt the county or citizens are willing to spend $4.5 million on a system that would accomplish the same thing as each citizen taking responsibility and buying their own $30 weather radio and ensuring it functions as designed. Just like maintaining smoke and carbon monoxide detectors with fresh batteries, you focus on what's important to your families safety to make sure you're prepared.

Just some things to consider before putting this expensive burden on the backs of the county.

EXCELLENT post and EXCELLENT points! You are right, it would be very difficult for the county to install enough sirens so that every single person can hear them - the cost would be enormous and then they would just "open up another can of worms" and have people complaining about the money they spent on the sirens.

Weather radios are great, responsible ways for keeping apprised of severe weather in your area, thus giving the necessary notice to keep you and your family safe. I believe my husband paid less than $50.00 for our weather radio and it was $50.00 well spent - great investment for such an important issue!

• Like 1

Several years ago Paulding County explored multiple options for severe weather notifications. We looked at tornado sirens as well as automated notification systems and weighed the advantages and disadvantages of each. Paulding County EMA in cooperation with Paulding County E911 elected to use Emergency Communications Network's CodeRED Weather Warning and Emergency Notification System for severe weather warnings as well as for "reverse" 911 notifications. This system is provided by the Board of Commissioners for citizens who reside or own a business within Paulding County.

CodeRED Weather Warning provides notification of severe weather WARNINGS only. The warnings are delivered to a targeted area determined by the alert issued by the National Weather Service which means if you are not in the path of the storm, you will not receive the message. The warnings are delivered automatically once the National Weather Service issues a severe weather warning.

In order to ensure you receive the weather warnings you need to sign up at www.paulding.gov on the 911 webpage. I have also included a link below to enable you to go directly to the signup page. You may register multiple telephones, both residential and cellular, and you can elect to receive text messages as well. Remember, you have to sign up to receive weather alerts.

CodeRED has proven to be a valuable tool and the system has worked well for Paulding County. We encourage all county residents and businesses to sign up for this free service.

https://cne.coderedw...YEWUILhFA%3d%3d

David Mumford

Director

Paulding County E-911 Communications Center

(770)443-7629

Code%20Red.png