Paulding.com

Does anybody know how the GSP determines

The GSP doesn't determine that. The local probate judge, acknowledging the input and parameters from state law, county ordinance, etc. determines the bond, court costs and fine for traffic violations in their jurisdiction ... at least that is my understanding.

I don't believe there is much uniformity in those costs other than the legislature, in establishing that it is misdemeanor to fail to stop at a stop sign has established the penalty using language kind of like this:

a fine not to exceed $500 and/or a sentence not to exceed 30 days in jail. If they defined the traffic violation as a misdemeanor, it could fall under a blanket guide line of a fine up to $1000 and/or a sentence not to exceed 12 months in jail. That obviously allows judges in local jurisdiction a fair degree of latitude.

Again, I don't think the fine amounts are terribly uniform across the state ... and I suspect they've gone up as local revenues from other sources have diminished.

pubby

PS: That said, I don't really have a problem with the stiff fine regarding stop signs. It is really, really an important law that violation of which will, by and by, get someone killed.

pubby

I think it's outrageous that he failed to STOP for a STOP SIGN, but that's just me.

Yes, and he learned his lesson, and has worked very hard to pay the fine, but I still think the price is

outrageous!!!

His dad turned right on red from Chastain Rd onto Cobb Pkwy where there was a sign that said no right turn on red and that was $180.00.

My son stopped, although not completely, which I know is wrong, but there were no cars at the other 3 stop signs so he wasn't putting any lives in danger.

He is a good driver, and this is his first offense, and like I said, he has learned his lesson.

It's just hard for an 18 year old in school to come up with that kind of money.

Several years ago I got a stop sign ticket in Acworth.

I felt I had a remote possibility of either being found innocent or getting the ticket cost reduced by the judge due to the intersection address being wrong on the ticket.

I was there for the appointed court time on the ticket about 6 weeks after getting the ticket. The district attorney opened court telling us he would be meeting with each person to discuss our cases individually. He also told us he represented the court and officers and to be careful in giving up information that might be used against us. I waited about 3 hours to appear before the district attorney. I told him I wanted to appear in front of the judge. I refused to discuss the details with him. I also refused to share my prepared package with him. He offered me a $100.00 fine, attend a defensive driving class and no points. I held firm that I wanted to plead my case to the Judge and not to him. He was quite upset I would not accept his plea offer. He set the date for the next court appearance for 5 months later.

I again appeared for the appointed court time and waited to appear in front of the district attorney about 2 hours later. This time he offered me $100.00 again, no class and no points. Again I told him I wanted my day in front of the Judge and I refused to discuss the details with him. This time he was really upset with me.

I waited another hour, I noticed he brought the officer in and pointed me out to her. In a few minutes he came over and said the Judge would call me up in a few minutes and the charges were being dropped due to my good driving record. In a few minutes the Judge called me up, said the district attorney had dropped the charges and I could go. I did not tell him, but I would have been happy with a $100.00 fine.

The next day I pulled in to the gas pump at the neighborhood Shell station to fuel up a company truck and the officer was fueling up her police car on the other side of the same pump. I asked her why the district attorney dropped the charges? She said she hardly remembered me now, and certainly did not remember me at all yesterday.

I had 2 partial days invested in fighting it, lucky for me I was on salary so I did not loose any pay. For me the time was worth the effort.

My son stopped, although not completely...

That is what gets people in trouble, right there...

He stopped, but not completely.. Well then, he didn't stop.

Stop means just that... NOT MOVING... It doesn't mean slow down to and roll through.

• Like 3

This reminds me of a high school English teacher who rolled through a stop sign. Recognizing the officer who pulled her over as a former student of hers, she reminded him that she had been his teacher in high school. The officer replied, "Yes, Ma'am. I know who you are, and that stop sign was a period, not a comma." :D

This reminds me of a high school English teacher who rolled through a stop sign. Recognizing the officer who pulled her over as a former student of hers, she reminded him that she had been his teacher in high school. The officer replied, "Yes, Ma'am. I know who you are, and that stop sign was a period, not a comma." :D

rofl.gif

I got stopped for "breezing through a stop sign, after he ran my license he came back and said, thanks maaam, slow it down next time and let me go without a ticket. I was like WTH, you said, I "breezed" through the stop sign. But I didnt say anything, took my ticket and got the hell out of there. But, I havent gotten a ticket since 1987, so maybe that's why he let me go. But now I make sure I come to a complete stop now, I count to 10 before proceeding through.

Edited by 2witty4u