Paulding.com

Seeing the success of the layaway Santa, do you think that this is the way to go? Or do you like the large, media savvy charities?

I like the smaller, home town, home grown type myself.

What I loved best about it is that you know folks putting stuff on lay away are on a tight budget, but they are doing the best that they can for themselves.

I have heard stories were some folks don't even try to do Christmas for their kids, they go to the charities year after year.

I really gave it some thought earlier today, and decided I like it, I really like it.

• Like 1

I gave to larger charities a few years back and found that the non profits were living too good so I opted to give to individuals that I was led to give to, it has been the best way to me and you get more joy seeing the person you have blessed face to face. Just sayin'

Seeing the success of the layaway Santa, do you think that this is the way to go? Or do you like the large, media savvy charities?

It depends on which large or which hometown charity it is. There are good and bad in both of these. I try to check out the big ones with Clark Howard's website or other websites that monitor charities and post what percentage actually goes to the cause and is not burned in over-head costs.

I gave to larger charities a few years back and found that the non profits were living too good so I opted to give to individuals that I was led to give to, it has been the best way to me and you get more joy seeing the person you have blessed face to face. Just sayin'

Yes. After they get done with all the nonsense, I wonder how much of my dollar that I gave goes to the actual people that need the help.

That's really why I lean towards the local charities. It just seems less complicated.

Besides, to be honest, I don't know that I trust the big, fancy outfits.

Except for St. Judes. I would do anything for them.

We prefer to give through our church. They are much more effective than any charity we've ever supported.

I tend to like to know that what I'm doing is actually reaching the people for which it was intended. There are a couple of larger charities that I support, but most of what I do is on a more local level. I will say that I think that all attempts to help our fellow humankind are good if they are coming from the right place and for the right reasons. We all need to work more towards helping one another instead of being so egocentric as a society. JMHO

It depends - time, amount I have, etc. I really like to do the angel trees or Clark's Christmas kids. I like that direct involvement. This year, we weren't able just due to time. So, I gave that budgeted money to McEachern High School's Shop with an Indian program. My best friend runs it and I knew exactly where the money was going.

Yes. After they get done with all the nonsense, I wonder how much of my dollar that I gave goes to the actual people that need the help.

That's really why I lean towards the local charities. It just seems less complicated.

Besides, to be honest, I don't know that I trust the big, fancy outfits.

Except for St. Judes. I would do anything for them.

I am there with you, I do give to St Jude, but your right ,there is a small percentage that actually goes to recipients.

I give either to local stuff where I KNOW where it's going (i.e., my church whom I trust, a co-worker with a need I happened to know about and gave anonymously, etc.), or Salvation's Army or Samaritan's Purse. They both consistently put 94-96% of their monies back into the charity (best in the business). I do believe St. Jude would use the money honorably as well.

I love the idea of the layaway Secret Santa and it sounds like it caught on all across the United States this year. God bless those "Secret Santas" and the joy they brought to so many families this holiday season!

The cynic in me wonders if more people will be using layaway next year in hopes of a "layaway santa". :pardon: I hate that I think that way, but I do. Lots of greedy folks out there.

I will always give to Toys For Tot's. I assume I can trust the Marines. The Salvation Army & Kidney Foundation also.

I love the idea of the layaway Secret Santa and it sounds like it caught on all across the United States this year. God bless those "Secret Santas" and the joy they brought to so many families this holiday season!

I love it too BB!

I tend to support local charities cause I don't want to be bitter about wanting to help a family, or person out.

It leaves a sour taste to feel like your efforts have gone to some kind of Huge machine.