Paulding.com

Retail Store Cancels Some Online Orders

From the AJ-C website (12-22-11)

ATLANTA —
Best Buy has alerted some customers that it will not be able to fill their online orders, just days before Christmas.

The largest U.S. specialty electronics retailer said late Wednesday that "overwhelming demand for some products from Bestbuy.com has led to a problem redeeming online orders made in November and December.

The Minneapolis company declined Thursday to specify how many orders are affected or which products are out of stock.

The shortages are a black eye for Best Buy, which has beefed up its online campaign to fight off intense competition from online retailers and discount stores. And the holiday season is crucial for retailers like Best Buy because it can make up to 40 percent of annual sales.

Some glitches should not be a surprise with such a massive surge in online shopping this year, analysts said, but there is a risk of a backlash.

"It is a hiccup for the company," said Morningstar analyst R.J. Hottovy. "They were kind of behind the curve building out their online channel. They've done a good job investing in it, but if you make a lot of rapid changes, inevitably there are going to be growing pains."

The canceled orders probably won't make a big difference for Best Buy's holiday sales this year, but it may lead to more customers looking elsewhere in the future, he said.

Remainder of Story

I was reading the other day tab Best Buy could follow the way of Circuit City.

They may file for bankruptcy.

I hate that for them. I always liked Best Buy much better than CC.

I hope they don't file. I have always preferred to see and touch an item I am buying rather than ordering online. Sometimes I have no choice to get something online.

I did more online shopping this year than ever before. All my orders shipped quickly and were complete. However, it does suck for those folks who were counting on these orders to finish out their shopping, especially since they waited so late to make the announcement. It seems like companies in general should have a better grasp on what is coming into inventory and what is going out instead of over-extending themselves and thus providing poor customer service.

• Like 1

Thankfully my husband picked up our Best Buy order last week. That's where we get our kids electronic stuff from every year. We order online and pick up in the store. I am waiting on an order from Target though that was guaranteed by tomorrow. Hope they come through as it's a big portion of my daughter's Christmas. If not, well, she'll survive.

Yep, cancelled one of my orders. I had paid partly with best buy reward money. Now I have lost that!!! Could not get customer service on the phone!!

I would think that you would get that reward money back. Don't through out your card if you haven't already. If they are like Office Depot they would just put the money back on it.

I see a lot of you love this store so I will not be popular for saying what I am about to say. I used to go there because of their selection and service. In the past year or so, their service seems to have tripped on a freakin rock and tumbled down an embankment. I recently read an article that spoke about their troubles and it referred to the fact that now most people visit with an item already researched, buy it and leave. Where as in the past they were shown floor products and bought impulse items as well. I can see this happening, but their service is not helping the matter. I went looking this week for a big ticket item and visited two locations, Hiram and Kennesaw. I visited in a weekday during the middle of the day when foot traffic was at it's smallest number. I stood at the end of the isle with my arms folded looking at the greeter for 10 mins, before I yelled at someone walking by. They said they knew nothing about the department, I needed to go to customer service. I went there and waited in line for another 10 mins. I left due to patience and went to the greeter and exclaimed," I just drove through rain and traffic to purchase a product from your store." "If you want to sell me something send someone over to that department, I'm leaving in 2 mins." A gentleman did come over finally and was nice, but not as knowledgeable as I would have liked him to be. I went to the location in Kennesaw and experienced the same thing. This time a woman and I stood looking at Ipods for 20 mins and helped each other out. When I state the time, trust me, I kept time. NO ONE was working in the department. We both decided that this chain has decided to use the playbook from HD. We both left the store without making a purchase. I will be buying my item from their competitor today simply due to the customer service. I will not beg someone to sell me their product. If you're on the verge of bankruptcy and this is how concerned you are about selling your products, then I could give a rat's ass.

I went in to look at their brand of TV's - needed one for my son's bedroom - I could have picked it up and walked out of the store and no one would have looked my way....we were totally ignored - did see two young men that worked there walk by - and disappear thru the wharehouse doors - I would have been more understanding if they had been packed, but it was not really busy -

on way out noticed they only had one regester open as well....I am surprised at them - before we had always recieved excellent service - and with this being a shopping season, thought they would have reps falling all over themselves to help customers - I will try again after CHRISTmas - but was just real dissapointed -

I see a lot of you love this store so I will not be popular for saying what I am about to say. I used to go there because of their selection and service. In the past year or so, their service seems to have tripped on a freakin rock and tumbled down an embankment. I recently read an article that spoke about their troubles and it referred to the fact that now most people visit with an item already researched, buy it and leave. Where as in the past they were shown floor products and bought impulse items as well. I can see this happening, but their service is not helping the matter. I went looking this week for a big ticket item and visited two locations, Hiram and Kennesaw. I visited in a weekday during the middle of the day when foot traffic was at it's smallest number. I stood at the end of the isle with my arms folded looking at the greeter for 10 mins, before I yelled at someone walking by. They said they knew nothing about the department, I needed to go to customer service. I went there and waited in line for another 10 mins. I left due to patience and went to the greeter and exclaimed," I just drove through rain and traffic to purchase a product from your store." "If you want to sell me something send someone over to that department, I'm leaving in 2 mins." A gentleman did come over finally and was nice, but not as knowledgeable as I would have liked him to be. I went to the location in Kennesaw and experienced the same thing. This time a woman and I stood looking at Ipods for 20 mins and helped each other out. When I state the time, trust me, I kept time. NO ONE was working in the department. We both decided that this chain has decided to use the playbook from HD. We both left the store without making a purchase. I will be buying my item from their competitor today simply due to the customer service. I will not beg someone to sell me their product. If you're on the verge of bankruptcy and this is how concerned you are about selling your products, then I could give a rat's ass.

I honestly believe this is because the employees believe their paycheck comes from the corporation.

I am not sure how a corporation goes about helping hourly workers see that every dime that goes in their pocket comes from a customer.

The whole thing is just so impersonal.

I love shopping small and local, most of the time the owner is in the store or restaurant and they are genuinely glad to see you walk in the door.

Of course I do luck up with friendly professional sales people and cashiers at big stores, I always remember the experience too.

Just the other day I was in Walmart picking up a few last minute things, the cashier was friendly, not chatty just a warm smile, she was very efficient you could tell she was really concentrating to get the transaction done quickly.

I wrote a check and when she handed me my receipt and DL back she said have a nice day Ms. Penney. I was impressed by that little detail.

I honestly believe this is because the employees believe their paycheck comes from the corporation.

I am not sure how a corporation goes about helping hourly workers see that every dime that goes in their pocket comes from a customer.

The whole thing is just so impersonal.

I love shopping small and local, most of the time the owner is in the store or restaurant and they are genuinely glad to see you walk in the door.

Of course I do luck up with friendly professional sales people and cashiers at big stores, I always remember the experience too.

Just the other day I was in Walmart picking up a few last minute things, the cashier was friendly, not chatty just a warm smile, she was very efficient you could tell she was really concentrating to get the transaction done quickly.

I wrote a check and when she handed me my receipt and DL back she said have a nice day Ms. Penney. I was impressed by that little detail.

I tell you a couple of ways they can help the employees understand that the paycheck is directly related to the customer. When the doors are chained shut and they are out of a job. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's a cold hard truth. There are a lot of factors that can lead to a business closing, but by all means at least be able to say it wasn't because of customer service. I've worked for my company in the construction supply business for 22 years and started in the warehouse and on the floor in a sales center before working my way up. I've seen hundreds of changes, closing etc. One idea I always worked with during those times was that if my location closes, it will be because of a bean counter upstairs and not because of my customer service. People knew my name so much that they mentioned it when they had to visit the competition and that's the way I wanted things. I always gave, and still do in another position, extreme customer service, and ensure that I know my products. When I go out to buy something, I may go to two locations if it's a big ticket item. Usually by the second location, the traffic has worn me down and I'm ready to go home. I'm not there to browse, I'm there to buy. If the salesperson at the first location gives me good service, knows their product and can answer my question, then chances are they will get the sale. That includes walking up to me, not tackling me as I walk in, and not me begging or going to look for you, and asking me if I need help. Another way they can show these people how it directly affects their paycheck is to base them on commission. I know that's not popular for some people, and I am against it in some situations. However I can bet you if BB did that this week, I wouldn't be able to stand in their store for 20 mins without one person speaking to me.

That sale by the way? I gave it to their competition. I called from the BB parking lot to ask if they had it in stock and got a, "Yes we do, I'm so and so, we will hold it for you, do you need directions?" I went to the competition the other night during a busy time and was greeted right away, explained in detail about the product and was out of the store within 15-20. Same amount of time BB spent ignoring me, their competition spent selling me $1000 in merchandise.

Edited by HiPlainsDrifter

My son just got a job at the Hiram store and I am sure he will put it on track really quick. I am sure its not close to bankruptcy as someone said. He makes sure his employees work. He will be a real asset to the store.

I tell you a couple of ways they can help the employees understand that the paycheck is directly related to the customer. When the doors are chained shut and they are out of a job. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's a cold hard truth. There are a lot of factors that can lead to a business closing, but by all means at least be able to say it wasn't because of customer service. I've worked for my company in the construction supply business for 22 years and started in the warehouse and on the floor in a sales center before working my way up. I've seen hundreds of changes, closing etc. One idea I always worked with during those times was that if my location closes, it will be because of a bean counter upstairs and not because of my customer service. People knew my name so much that they mentioned it when they had to visit the competition and that's the way I wanted things. I always gave, and still do in another position, extreme customer service, and ensure that I know my products. When I go out to buy something, I may go to two locations if it's a big ticket item. Usually by the second location, the traffic has worn me down and I'm ready to go home. I'm not there to browse, I'm there to buy. If the salesperson at the first location gives me good service, knows their product and can answer my question, then chances are they will get the sale. That includes walking up to me, not tackling me as I walk in, and not me begging or going to look for you, and asking me if I need help. Another way they can show these people how it directly affects their paycheck is to base them on commission. I know that's not popular for some people, and I am against it in some situations. However I can bet you if BB did that this week, I wouldn't be able to stand in their store for 20 mins without one person speaking to me.

That sale by the way? I gave it to their competition. I called from the BB parking lot to ask if they had it in stock and got a, "Yes we do, I'm so and so, we will hold it for you, do you need directions?" I went to the competition the other night during a busy time and was greeted right away, explained in detail about the product and was out of the store within 15-20. Same amount of time BB spent ignoring me, their competition spent selling me $1000 in merchandise.

I'm usually tripping over sales people. Even when I was in there last week.

I keep hearing about folks having bad service, whether with this store or restaurants. I must just be real lucky I don't run into these things.

I don't like shopping online. Like one of the other posters said, I like to see what I'm buying first.