Paulding.com

Seattle Bans the Single Use Plastic Bag

Because most people don't do the right thing unless forced to do so.

Noted this at the end of the article:

"Tiny bits of plastics, including plastic bag film, are being found in all water samples taken in Puget Sound," said Heather Trim, Policy Director of People For Puget Sound, in a statement. "Reducing the use of single-use plastics, like bags, will make a difference for the health of wildlife in Puget Sound and out in the Pacific."

Edited by NavyEagle#1

More useless government regulations forced down the consumers throat.

People should have the free will to chose paper or plastic or to bring their own bags. We should need to be regulated to do it.

Aren't you contradicting what you had just said? I'd be fine with local government saying that grocery stores (for instance) couldn't provide plastic bags. I don't know how government could tell me that I couldn't personally use a plastic bag to put my possessions in.

Because solar panels and battery powered cars are so much cleaner than plastic bags...

Really, how much more power will the power plants have to make to power those electric plug in cars. Power plants use coal or nuclear, yeah that is real good for the environment.

Aren't you contradicting what you had just said? I'd be fine with local government saying that grocery stores (for instance) couldn't provide plastic bags. I don't know how government could tell me that I couldn't personally use a plastic bag to put my possessions in.

I'm going with he accidentally dropped the NOT part.

I read it with the not, based on the beginning of his post. It's that whole reading comprehension thing.

• Like 1

I've grown to prefer cloth bags anyway. They hold more and are easier to handle. If they get dirty, you just toss them in the wash and air dry.

I use cotton string bags for the same reason. *Love* the fact that they'll stretch to hold a lot, yet don't take up much room when empty. I keep 'em in my car so that they're always handy, then put 'em with my keys once I've unloaded my groceries so that I'm sure they'll get *back* out to the car for next time.

• Like 1

I'd have to say that I'm torn on this. I love a clean environment more than you know. I am an avid outdoors man who doesn't use the resources enough. I love a clean river, uninhabited mountains, fresh air, and all the wildlife I can absorb. However, there's nothing like the city at times either. Looking at the lights of NY on a clear night is pretty impressive too. When issues like this come up, I agree with those who try to keep the harbors and waterways clean but also understand the need for certain products. I don't like gov't coming in and telling us what we can and can't have but the irresponsibility of a few leave the door open for such activities. What are the viable options given to us? We'll see.

I use cotton string bags for the same reason. *Love* the fact that they'll stretch to hold a lot, yet don't take up much room when empty. I keep 'em in my car so that they're always handy, then put 'em with my keys once I've unloaded my groceries so that I'm sure they'll get *back* out to the car for next time.

That's exactly what I do. I've gotten into a pretty good habit of it now at the grocery store-- Just need to remember more often when I go to Walmart/Target/etc. lol

Forestry is the second largest industry in the state and is responsible for $15 Billion in Revenues. The WFPA is one of the largest lobbying organizations in the state. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it though.

Thats true. I guess the first is grungy hair, half bathed people, and coffee.

Now if they would just regulate grocery baggers at stores that still use the plastic bags to put MORE THAN ONE ITEM in each bag. <_<

Seriously. I had all those things together in the grocery basket. I really don't mind if they ride home in the same bag.

Too bad the cotton bags have 200 times the environmental impact of regular old plastic bags.

If you reuse the grocery bags for trash can liners as many people do, then the plastic ones are even better for the environment.

For all of you that use cotton bags for groceries, are you BUYING plastic bags to line your trash can?

For me, I definitely don't want to carry a package of meat, especially chicken or something in a bag that has to be washed (more environmental impact) or else I risk getting salmonella on my fruit veggies or anything else the next time I use them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/plastic-fantastic-carrier-bags-not-ecovillains-after-all-2220129.html

Too bad the cotton bags have 200 times the environmental impact of regular old plastic bags.

If you reuse the grocery bags for trash can liners as many people do, then the plastic ones are even better for the environment.

For all of you that use cotton bags for groceries, are you BUYING plastic bags to line your trash can?

For me, I definitely don't want to carry a package of meat, especially chicken or something in a bag that has to be washed (more environmental impact) or else I risk getting salmonella on my fruit veggies or anything else the next time I use them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/plastic-fantastic-carrier-bags-not-ecovillains-after-all-2220129.html

I reuse every plastic bag that I bring home. Sometimes, multiple times.

It really is the little things that matter sometimes.