Paulding.com

If the world of Wally Paid its 1.4 Million U.S. Workers a Living Wage,

I understand it might be hard for some to either understand or accept, but "THEY are the reason why they're in the boat they are in". America still lets us pick our paths in life no matter where we start. Options are different, but we each choose our destiny.

Situations arise outside of our control but each of us chooses how to react to them. Those who chose a career in the housing market are more affect than many who didn't. Those who lived more frugal and saved are better off with a loss of income than those who didn't.

The company you work for may have went belly up, but you choose to work for them at some point. Individual choices lead each and every one of us to or current point in this life. Many don't want to accept it and try to place blame elsewhere.

That is the 3rd most idiotic post I've ever read on paulding.com. You think someone would have taken a job with a company if they had any idea it would go under? But they made the "choice" with all the information, including what might happen? You're insane.

• Like 2
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not angry. I am sensible and realistic. Maybe you should put the drinks down, accept some responsibility and come back a more productive and contributing citizen.

I honestly think Walmart gets a very bad rap. I worked there for 5 years, and I went from $5 an hour when i started to $13 an hour when i left. At the age of 21 that wasn't a horrible wage. All you

why is Walmart responsible for poor life choices?   if Walmart paid 12 an hour for menial labor, secretaries who are already making 12, and feeling pretty good about making 4 bucks above minimum wag

I never said you did.

This article, in my opinion, is nothing but garbage. (No intentions toward you, LPPT) :blush:

I'm just sick and tire of words like "living wage" and "fairness" being used. My suggestion would be to stay in school, have a good hard work ethic, learn about capitalism and personal responsibility and you'll stand a chance of being more successful in life. These jobs are there to provide entry level positions to learn about the company and move up. They aren't there to support a family of 5 and for sure aren't there for people to get and then complain why they aren't making more. Make yourself better and better things will happen.

The question is still are there enough jobs for those willing to do these things, in all honestly I don't believe there are enough of them. I also don't believe that a thriving economy is based on poverty which seems to be the basis of some belief systems.

We have to define poverty, which to me is the inability for ones entire pay to even cover basics such as shelter and food.

If you don't work you don't deserve anything. If you are willing to work and try then you do deserve better than the humility of the basics not being affordable to you.

Smaller shelter, less goods, lower quality is acceptable for poverty which we would hope would be less than 10% of the overall population.

This is not the reality of where we stand presently, and it is not working economically for the country, people like ourselves are being impoverished to simply help too many keep a roof and eat.

I don't listen to the screaming and whining it blurs the real issues about real facts which are hard numbers with dollars and percentages.

I understand it might be hard for some to either understand or accept, but "THEY are the reason why they're in the boat they are in". America still lets us pick our paths in life no matter where we start. Options are different, but we each choose our destiny.

Situations arise outside of our control but each of us chooses how to react to them. Those who chose a career in the housing market are more affect than many who didn’t. Those who lived more frugal and saved are better off with a loss of income than those who didn’t.

The company you work for may have went belly up, but you choose to work for them at some point. Individual choices lead each and every one of us to or current point in this life. Many don’t want to accept it and try to place blame elsewhere.

This sounds like the "crystal ball" thing again. Sorry, but I know of too many people in my position who busted their asses in school to become engineers...the people who build everything around you, that you see. This type of work is as honorable as other types of productive work. While I was studying hard, and paying my own school dues out of my pocket, do you think it would have occurred to anyone on the planet that their field would be in shambles within a 30 year span?? Then you have career drug dealers, who are still raking in the money, since their market is practically insured for life. Are you to say THEY made the correct choice, over someone who chose a decent career in engineering?....simply because the economy tanked in housing & development? Perhaps, you intended to word things differently than I am reading them? I chose to work with several companies, building things, designing things, and doing so in such a manner as to preserve society's safety. Your post seems to slap those of us who's fields of work went into a melt down, simply because we lack one superhuman power- seeing the future. Fortune telling was never part of my curriculum.

• Like 2

That is the 3rd most idiotic post I've ever read on paulding.com. You think someone would have taken a job with a company if they had any idea it would go under? But they made the "choice" with all the information, including what might happen? You're insane.

former member please quit being hostile in my thread, we are disagreeing but at least we are being civil for the most part, you are taking this conversation somewhere I don't want it to go.

former member please quit being hostile in my thread, we are disagreeing but at least we are being civil for the most part, you are taking this conversation somewhere I don't want it to go.

I would agree....there's no need for the wording like that, however, she did make a point that caught my eye too. I chose to reply on my own. "Idiotoc, moronic, etc." just aint my cup of tea in a debate. In fact, it dilutes the point that someone is trying to make.

"Look at me! Look at me! I did it! I worked so hard! I did it and everyone can! It was my hard work that did it! It was all me!"

LUKE 18: 9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10“Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin, and I don’t commit adultery. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

13“But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”L

I do not understand the point of this post. I agree with BS. He is right. Yes, the economy is in the crapper and just going to get worse. BUT, what we have is a whole new breed of folks that want something for nothing. And they are coming in droves. Don't believe me? Explain the OWS folks. They have no idea what they want but things handed to them.

Just like BS, I, too, am tired of hearing terms like "fair share" thrown around. Point is, when you find a job, work your azz off to make something of yourself. Don't b*tch about how much you aren't being paid.

Comment removed for inappropriate comments in the Cafe.

Edited by Sgt. Carter

I do not understand the point of this post. I agree with BS. He is right. Yes, the economy is in the crapper and just going to get worse. BUT, what we have is a whole new breed of folks that want something for nothing. And they are coming in droves. Don't believe me? Explain the OWS folks. They have no idea what they want but things handed to them.

Just like BS, I, too, am tired of hearing terms like "fair share" thrown around. Point is, when you find a job, work your azz off to make something of yourself. Don't b*tch about how much you aren't being paid.

The assumption is that you are referring to a majority of people that have this attitude, I am not seeing a majority, I see sound bites and articles based on a few examples. I know a lot of people that I highly respect that are effected by nothing but economic circumstances beyond their control, This is due to poor leadership in our country.

The OWS people blame the same thing as everyone else and that is cronism, everyone knows that it is at the bottom of our problems.

I have said over and ever that looking down at the poor, undereducated ect, serves the purpose of keeping us from focusing on the real problem which you will find by looking up at the leadership of this country.

Hostile? That was really a dumbass thing Converse said. To say that people made choices they knew would intentionally be the bad decision is beyond idiocy.

He never stated that they knew in advance that their employer would go belly up. He is simply stating that life is not fair, things happen. Heck look at how much jobs/employers have changed over just the last decade because of new technologies.

Why was my post edited but all the posts that jump all over my case in other threads get left? I get called names all the time but those are left and when I do the same, I get edited?

Sorry about the other threads I an enjoying the discussion of this one so much I would like to see it remain civil so that people can really explore the issues and how they feel about them honestly.

People can express themselves strongly without using hostile and insulting language.

• Like 1

Bogey sighted!

Target locked!

Splash one! Splash one!

Stay with me, Goose.

Permission to buzz the tower?

:rofl: :rofl: :good:

Sorry about the other threads I an enjoying the discussion of this one so much I would like to see it remain civil so that people can really explore the issues and how they feel about them honestly.

People can express themselves strongly without using hostile and insulting language.

Not happy but I'm just a passenger on this train. I got the message from the moderators, all three of them that sent me those NASTY PMs. I get it.

That's not always true. I know plenty of people who have been out of work for a very long time. These are well educated people who have worked very hard all their lives and are working even harder now just to make minimum wage. Luck or the gods or something cosmic or who-you-happen-to-know or whatever has a lot to do with it too. Telling them that THEY are the reason they are in the boat they are in is not only simplistic, but down right cruel. At least temper it with a "sometimes."

Who you telling, sister? I was out of work for almost all of 2009!!! I was behind on my mortgage and an eye blink away from losing unemployment (before they extended it for a total of 2 years or whatever it is now). I had robbed Peter to pay Paul and took a lot of dings to the credit report due to late payments.

There is no luck. There is nothing cosmic. I had to go, everyday, and network my ASS off to get a job. Did it come down to "who I knew"? You betcha - and I got to know just about everyone in the metro Atlanta area - because I didn't have a choice. Finding a job was harder work than I had ever done before. ANYONE thinking that you're going to get a job by filling out an application or sending a resume is DELUSIONAL. Yet how many times a week do you see a post right here on pcom, "Need job in Paulding county" - because they're too lazy to go outside the county where there's work.

And before you cite transportation as an issue...

http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/cct/general-info.htm#Hiram

I'm sure you'll say that there's child care issues - legit but not impossible, though it may require networking with a few people to find suitable arrangements.

"The question is still are there enough jobs for those willing to do these things, in all honestly I don't believe there are enough of them" - LPPT

Drive down S. Cobb drive in the mornings. Hit up Roswell Road. You tell me how many legals/whites you see out there WAITING for day labor work? Find me ONE. There are plenty of jobs, especially in lower paying fields. It's funny, you NEVER see a Mexican griping about unemployment.

Edited by dumbestgirlintheworld

Comment removed due to inappropriate content for the Cafe.

I am not looking to hide from it. If it were up to me i would put all haters and the like on an island where they cannot bring the rest of the world down the the hateful place they live. I guess some people were not raised to believe that positive reinforcement and encouragement go a long way. There are very few problems in this world that are solved completely through harsh words and conflict. Ignorance of these people is bliss, while those people are as dangerous to society as those who feel a supreme entitlement.

Who you telling, sister? I was out of work for almost all of 2009!!! I was behind on my mortgage and an eye blink away from losing unemployment (before they extended it for a total of 2 years or whatever it is now). I had robbed Peter to pay Paul and took a lot of dings to the credit report due to late payments.

There is no luck. There is nothing cosmic. I had to go, everyday, and network my ASS off to get a job. Did it come down to "who I knew"? You betcha - and I got to know just about everyone in the metro Atlanta area - because I didn't have a choice. Finding a job was harder work than I had ever done before. ANYONE thinking that you're going to get a job by filling out an application or sending a resume is DELUSIONAL. Yet how many times a week do you see a post right here on pcom, "Need job in Paulding county" - because they're too lazy to go outside the county where there's work.

And before you cite transportation as an issue...

http://dot.cobbcount...-info.htm#Hiram

I'm sure you'll say that there's child care issues - legit but not impossible, though it may require networking with a few people to find suitable arrangements.

"The question is still are there enough jobs for those willing to do these things, in all honestly I don't believe there are enough of them" - LPPT

Drive down S. Cobb drive in the mornings. Hit up Roswell Road. You tell me how many legals/whites you see out there WAITING for day labor work? Find me ONE. There are plenty of jobs, especially in lower paying fields. It's funny, you NEVER see a Mexican griping about unemployment.

Let's divert and begin discussion illegals now. Gotcha.

And for your position that you eventually found, how many other people didn't get it? Many of those people were in the same boat as you. They didn't get that job and did lose the house and their unemployment did run out. 

Just sayign that it is easy to say, "Look at me!" when fact is there may be other people even more deserving or even better qualified, but it just didn't happen. They are human beings, too.

Let's divert and begin discussion illegals now. Gotcha.

And for your position that you eventually found, how many other people didn't get it? Many of those people were in the same boat as you. They didn't get that job and did lose the house and their unemployment did run out. 

Just sayign that it is easy to say, "Look at me!" when fact is there may be other people even more deserving or even better qualified, but it just didn't happen. They are human beings, too.

No one is taking that away from them. There is plenty available in the private sector for those that have "bad luck". The government and tax payers take care of these "cosmicly challenged" job seekers for 2 years, at which point that individual needs to be resourceful and find benefits from charitable organizations.

Interestingly, you speak here about the here about the worsening wealth gap - how do you think this happens?

This is pretty basic - the government continuing to extend social programs is like putting the economy in hospice. Long term unemployment benefits and extended social programs just keeps people comfortable.

• Like 1

No one is taking that away from them. There is plenty available in the private sector for those that have "bad luck". The government and tax payers take care of these "cosmicly challenged" job seekers for 2 years, at which point that individual needs to be resourceful and find benefits from charitable organizations.

Interestingly, you speak here about the here about the worsening wealth gap - how do you think this happens?

This is pretty basic - the government continuing to extend social programs is like putting the economy in hospice. Long term unemployment benefits and extended social programs just keeps people comfortable.

We have a basic disagreement of philosphy. The safety nets are needed because not everyone gets out of hte mess as you did.

"Look at me! Look at me! I did it! I worked so hard! I did it and everyone can! It was my hard work that did it! It was all me!"

LUKE 18: 9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10“Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin, and I don’t commit adultery. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

13“But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”L

I could copy and paste my response to the same identical post you made in the other thread but I'm tired of stooping down to you. You single-highhandedly changed the tone of this topic to satisfy something lacking in you and now more folks are on to you. I hope you get bullets for this one too.

I don't see the need for the mean-spirit in some of the posts. My room mate (who happens to also be my childhood best friend of almost 40 years) were discussing the min. wage thing last night. We are complete opposite sides of the spectrum on the issue. We hashed it back and forth, and amicably agreed to disagree. We never got personal one single time. Afterwards, we went upstairs, watched a movie and had a bite to eat, enjoying the rest of the evening.

I guess I'm just lamenting what a good debate used to be. I also understand that when you're debating online, it's nothing like face to face. People cross lines much faster when they're not eye to eye with who they are disagreeing with.

My contract with my job is on hiatus for the remainder of this year, and no telling how long, next month. Of course, for me, this is an all too familiar situation, and I've grown quite adept at handling (even expecting) it to happen. Should it fall through completely, then I've no problem greeting people at the World O Wally for whatever min. wage is. Honestly, I don't even know what min. wage is right now...I could look it up. But that's beside the point. My goal would be to get my foot in the door for whatever wage, then bust my rump to climb that ladder. My opinion is that the lower min. wage is, the more inclined a worker would be to move up the ladder and better themselves. ;)

You completely missed the point and I'm not feeling generous enough right to try to explain it further. You can live in a world where nothing is your fault and everything bad that has ever happened to you is because of someone/something else. I'll take responsibility for my future...

• Like 2

You completely missed the point and I'm not feeling generous enough right to try to explain it further. You can live in a world where nothing is your fault and everything bad that has ever happened to you is because of someone/something else. I'll take responsibility for my future...

Personal responsibility is a foreign concept to him.

40% of the economy is based on discretionary spending, with unemployment 50% of the people have no discretionary spending ability.

There is nothing emotional about who deserves what in that equation, it is cold hard facts and numbers.

Everyone that is employed has a customer, whether you ever have contact or not.

No customer, no job, no money that is a fact.

So you can hold on to your belief that you want the working poor to have nothing because they don't deserve it. In the end you are just killing you own dreams of prosperity.

I didn't think I was being aggressive at all, but where does anyone get evidence that the numbers and facts are made up? You would have to find another study that refutes that one.

This is simply a discussion, we don't have to agree 100% or disagree 100%.

I actually think it was Allinsky who said that if you can't attack the facts, attack the source.

Spin it all you want. If there is not enough disposable income circulating with the middle class to purchase consumer goods and services then the economy will continue to sputter and die.

During the past 30 years our middle class has shrunk, and our working poor and poverty levels have increased ? How can that be in the richest country in the world ? How? We forgot what actually fuels that richest country's economy.

The wealthy, buying and selling the stocks, bonds, subprime mortgage bundles do NOT contribute to the economy.

Stop and do the math for Pete's sake.

1 family banking $1,000,000 a year puts how much back into the economy in consumer goods and service spending ? Compated to 20 families banking $50,000 ?

Brasil is a classic example. Long figured to remain at the bottom of the list in "Should have been" countries based on their natural resources, held back by a government which had a Coup D'etat every 3 to 5 years. With inflation rates of 500% per year, and interest rates at 100% or more.

They have had a stable government with no military intervention since the mid 1980s, and have flourished economically even with their terribly inept beurachracies and a staggering number of citizens living below the poverty level.

What changed ? The government created reasonable social programs, with strings attached to qualify, and taxed the corporations and the wealthy.. And their tax system and code makes our IRS look simple. They have federal and state income taxes on private and corporate income, as well as state and local sales tax and VAT on every invoice for companies making over various thresholds.

But the Brasilian manufacturers, along with their economy have expanded continuously, even over the past 4 years while ours and the EEC's has nose dived.

They were almost unaffected by our financial meltdown because their government has always restricted the flow of assets and cash leaving the country. Hence, they were holding very little, to none of our worthless subprme junk when everything crashed.

And for the past 3+ years, their GDP is expanding at what we used to consider fantastic rates.

So what's the difference? Their Wealthy, who feared the worst when their left leaning president was elected, chose to work with him and pay more in taxes, and they got it back in spades with their manufacturing sector growing at rates non-existant in the rest of the world.

And Brasil, unlike China and India and the such, has stringent EPA rules and regulations, including controls on carbon output, land disturbance regulations, wetland destruction, etc. My poultry manufacturing friends there brother in law wanted to build a new beer brewery, and it took him 3 years just to get his permits, AFTER buying the land.

If we don't support the middle class having more disposable income, our economy will never be in a position to recover.

I didn't think I was being aggressive at all, but where does anyone get evidence that the numbers and facts are made up? You would have to find another study that refutes that one.

This is simply a discussion, we don't have to agree 100% or disagree 100%.

:good:

What is wrong with you, do you have any other alternative mood besides nasty? :wacko:

Not being nasty at all. Just speaking as blunt as possible and avoiding being politically correct. Is it not true that some simply keep their head in the sand ignoring all reality, why only believing what is being blown up their rear? Knowing that it probably isn't true but unable to know the difference.

Why are people so sensitive? You posted an obviously biased article but hyperventilate when being called out for it. Is this not open to discussion or you just want people that walk in step with you only?

LPPT, I like to think that the majority of us are like that. What I mean is that there seems to be a growing sentiment in our society that leans that way.

I do not agree with the OWS movement one iota.

A lot of people are disillusioned, myself included, I worked hard sacrificed, did the right things to the best of my ability. I find I am slipping backwards due to the poor decisions and leadership.

40% of the economy is based on discretionary spending, with unemployment 50% of the people have no discretionary spending ability.

There is nothing emotional about who deserves what in that equation, it is cold hard facts and numbers.

Everyone that is employed has a customer, whether you ever have contact or not.

No customer, no job, no money that is a fact.

So you can hold on to your belief that you want the working poor to have nothing because they don't deserve it. In the end you are just killing you own dreams of prosperity.

If that was your final post, it would be enough for me to know why I wub you so much!! :wub:

You bring up a very valid fact- if people don't have money (probably 50% of the people I know do NOT) then there is no infusion into the economy. Hell, if the government would just get off my back long enough, and spare me the frikkin red tape, I could be booming in business right now, and putting money back into the economy. I've had a good 4 years to see what small business is up against, and it's not the customers....it's the bureaucratic red tape. Simple as that. If the economy were in GOOD condition right now, I can understand the need for a "certain" amount of regulation. However, when the economy is in the crapper, as it is now, (and I said this before) it's a LOT easier for a dope dealer to get set up than it is for a single man to set up his own business (legit business). And we wonder why so many people deal dope???? I am reminded of my great-grand father, who passed away at 96 yrs old, about 3 years ago. On his death bed, he conceded to my mother that he had to run whiskey for about 2 years during the Great Depression, or watch his family starve to death. I know the man's pain, only worse...try starting a REAL business, and see what kind of hurdles they'll send you through. ;)

Having said that, I CLEARLY intend to start my business back up, and I'll just have to deal with the red tape, whether I like it or not. The big problem with the red tape is that it costs you money that you don't have yet. You would think the gooberment would step the hell aside, and cut you about 6 month's lee-way until you got everything up and running. It's probably the most valuable investment they could make, because of the return, thereafter. It's a damned shame it doesn't work that way.

Spin it all you want. If there is not enough disposable income circulating with the middle class to purchase consumer goods and services then the economy will continue to sputter and die.

During the past 30 years our middle class has shrunk, and our working poor and poverty levels have increased ? How can that be in the richest country in the world ? How? We forgot what actually fuels that richest country's economy.

The wealthy, buying and selling the stocks, bonds, subprime mortgage bundles do NOT contribute to the economy.

Stop and do the math for Pete's sake.

1 family banking $1,000,000 a year puts how much back into the economy in consumer goods and service spending ? Compated to 20 families banking $50,000 ?

Brasil is a classic example. Long figured to remain at the bottom of the list in "Should have been" countries based on their natural resources, held back by a government which had a Coup D'etat every 3 to 5 years. With inflation rates of 500% per year, and interest rates at 100% or more.

They have had a stable government with no military intervention since the mid 1980s, and have flourished economically even with their terribly inept beurachracies and a staggering number of citizens living below the poverty level.

What changed ? The government created reasonable social programs, with strings attached to qualify, and taxed the corporations and the wealthy.. And their tax system and code makes our IRS look simple. They have federal and state income taxes on private and corporate income, as well as state and local sales tax and VAT on every invoice for companies making over various thresholds.

But the Brasilian manufacturers, along with their economy have expanded continuously, even over the past 4 years while ours and the EEC's has nose dived.

They were almost unaffected by our financial meltdown because their government has always restricted the flow of assets and cash leaving the country. Hence, they were holding very little, to none of our worthless subprme junk when everything crashed.

And for the past 3+ years, their GDP is expanding at what we used to consider fantastic rates.

So what's the difference? Their Wealthy, who feared the worst when their left leaning president was elected, chose to work with him and pay more in taxes, and they got it back in spades with their manufacturing sector growing at rates non-existant in the rest of the world.

And Brasil, unlike China and India and the such, has stringent EPA rules and regulations, including controls on carbon output, land disturbance regulations, wetland destruction, etc. My poultry manufacturing friends there brother in law wanted to build a new beer brewery, and it took him 3 years just to get his permits, AFTER buying the land.

If we don't support the middle class having more disposable income, our economy will never be in a position to recover.

What happened to Europe? Wasn't that your example of choice just a mere year or two ago? Guess that example doesn't work anymore. I guess the flavor of the month will be Brazil now.

• Like 1

If that was your final post, it would be enough for me to know why I wub you so much!! :wub:

You bring up a very valid fact- if people don't have money (probably 50% of the people I know do NOT) then there is no infusion into the economy. Hell, if the government would just get off my back long enough, and spare me the frikkin red tape, I could be booming in business right now, and putting money back into the economy. I've had a good 4 years to see what small business is up against, and it's not the customers....it's the bureaucratic red tape. Simple as that. If the economy were in GOOD condition right now, I can understand the need for a "certain" amount of regulation. However, when the economy is in the crapper, as it is now, (and I said this before) it's a LOT easier for a dope dealer to get set up than it is for a single man to set up his own business (legit business). And we wonder why so many people deal dope???? I am reminded of my great-grand father, who passed away at 96 yrs old, about 3 years ago. On his death bed, he conceded to my mother that he had to run whiskey for about 2 years during the Great Depression, or watch his family starve to death. I know the man's pain, only worse...try starting a REAL business, and see what kind of hurdles they'll send you through. ;)

Having said that, I CLEARLY intend to start my business back up, and I'll just have to deal with the red tape, whether I like it or not. The big problem with the red tape is that it costs you money that you don't have yet. You would think the gooberment would step the hell aside, and cut you about 6 month's lee-way until you got everything up and running. It's probably the most valuable investment they could make, because of the return, thereafter. It's a damned shame it doesn't work that way.

Sub I feel your pain man, have ever tried to obtain a building permit from the city of Atlanta?

It will take more than the advertised 30 days, because of all the beauracracy, there are no less than 5 different departments that the permit application has to be approved by where one dept. isn't sure of what the other is doing "actually the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing" and you had better be sure that your drawings/plans/surveys are to accurate scale.

I didn't think that the study was made up, even though it was written up on that site I assumed that the study was legitimate.

You "assumed"??? You know what they say about making assumptions right?

Seriously you need to look further into who is doing such study's and what their track record looks like. Just because they put numbers together and presented them as fact doesn't make it so. Trust but verify.

How is it college professors who know nothing about running a job in the real world can make a case that company X is doing something wrong? Especially a far left liberal college like Berkly? Have you bothered to look who this group is or did it just catch your eye and you were sold?

Do you believe everything you read? Isn't a bit lazy to take the bait so easily?

Edited by ca2ga

Sub I feel your pain man, have ever tried to obtain a building permit from the city of Atlanta?

It will take more than the advertised 30 days, because of all the beauracracy, there are no less than 5 different departments that the permit application has to be approved by where one dept. isn't sure of what the other is doing "actually the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing" and you had better be sure that your drawings/plans/surveys are to accurate scale.

Thanks for the comment (good post!) I do have the bold statements down to a fine art. This is something that needs to be in place for public safety. I've jumped those hurdles all my life, and I am very adept at providing for the public safety in all of my plans I design. I'm referring to a different animal...in this particular stance, building an outdoor equipment repair company. As you stated, the work must be done right, and people need to know that they are in GOOD HANDS with the repairmen. Only that is the EASY part.....just getting the damned thing off the ground is where they really stick it to you. It's gotten to the point that if someone like myself, who has a coveted service to offer, has to inherit money from dead relatives or win the lotto just so they can build something that will CREATE jobs. This kind of thinking in the government is beyond me. It's as if the "up front monies", i.e. permits, and all that other crap (which amount to very small fee's) are going to help us all than just letting us dig our claws into the business, then they could reap the BIGGER benefits afterwards. This means creating jobs, putting money into other people's pockets, who will in turn spend that money on whatever.

To summarize my point, when the economy takes a dump, like ours did...first we must ACKNOWLEDGE that there is a problem. Then, we should try to fix that problem by helping small business FIRST, then (and only if the situation is dire enough) look into helping individuals. I SWEAR to you, if they would address the FIRST one, then the other would take care of itself. In short, when the economy takes a nose dive, then the government should give INCENTIVES for its people to start their own business. Especially, in this climate, where most of the people who can't get hired somewhere are the BEST candidates to be starting their own business. When you've been in your field all your life, I think it's an American OBLIGATION to further ourselves by branching out with our acquired knowledge.