Paulding.com

If the world of Wally Paid its 1.4 Million U.S. Workers a Living Wage,

The average Walmart customer would pay just 46 cents more per shopping trip, or around $12 extra dollars each year.

April 20, 2011 |

A study released this week found that if the nation's largest low-wage employer, Walmart, were to pay its 1.4 million U.S. workers a living wage of at least $12 per hour and pass every single penny of the costs onto consumers, the average Walmart customer would pay just 46 cents more per shopping trip, or around $12 extra dollars each year.

Consider that the next time you hear some corporate mouthpiece warning of massive job losses if some minimally progressive policy were enacted. You never see them arguing on the cable news shows that increasing the minimum wage will hurt Walmart’s or McDonald's bottom lines; it’s always about the jobs that will be destroyed. According to the ubiquitous spin, large corporations, the embodiments of American-style capitalism, are so vulnerable to the meddling of no-nothing bureaucrats that any government intervention into the “free market” drives corporations away to sunnier locales or threatens their very existence. However well intentioned, it all ends up costing workers their jobs.

Rest of the story

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not angry. I am sensible and realistic. Maybe you should put the drinks down, accept some responsibility and come back a more productive and contributing citizen.

I honestly think Walmart gets a very bad rap. I worked there for 5 years, and I went from $5 an hour when i started to $13 an hour when i left. At the age of 21 that wasn't a horrible wage. All you

why is Walmart responsible for poor life choices?   if Walmart paid 12 an hour for menial labor, secretaries who are already making 12, and feeling pretty good about making 4 bucks above minimum wag

I honestly think Walmart gets a very bad rap. I worked there for 5 years, and I went from $5 an hour when i started to $13 an hour when i left. At the age of 21 that wasn't a horrible wage. All you have to do is work hard and do a good job and you will be able to make a living and work your way up.

• Like 6

A study released this week found that if the nation's largest low-wage employer, Walmart, were to pay its 1.4 million U.S. workers a living wage of at least $12 per hour and pass every single penny of the costs onto consumers, the average Walmart customer would pay just 46 cents more per shopping trip, or around $12 extra dollars each year....

Huh. A starting driver's license examiner makes just shy of $11/hour.

The old living wage adage, what exactly is a "living wage"??? $12.00 is a living wage?? That's a little under $25,000 per year working 40 hours per week. Now add the labor burden to that, you know the pesky employer's portion of taxes and worker's compensation and you've raised the price of goods a little more than this article represents. Don't forget Walmart provides part time employees access to health insurance. I doubt the employee pays 100% of that, now add vacation and personal time. Hmmmm, there's a little more to it than that "living wage" claim.

You are exactly right. I was able to get Health insurance, profit sharing and an annual bonus while working 32-40 hours a week. I made good money and was able to move from a cashier, to sales associate, to regional buying assistant in the course of 4 years and turned down an offer to move to Bentonville for 45,000 a year. I do not see how this is a bad living. I think the problem is that most of the people that work at Walmart are also the ones not willing to work hard for a living and complain about everything. The drama of the employees was UNREAL. I assure you Walmart has every possibility if your willing to work for it.

I think Walmart should be able to pay $0.30 an hour. That would tell those people that work there they need to do better with their lives and it would mean less cost for all of us. That would give us all more money to pour into the economy and get things rolling again. 

• Like 1

Just because it's Wal-mart.

http://thecollegeconservative.com/2011/12/13/my-time-at-walmart-why-we-need-serious-welfare-reform/

During the 2010 and 2011 summers, I was a cashier at Wal-Mart #1788 in Scarborough, Maine. I spent hours upon hours toiling away at a register, scanning, bagging, and dealing with questionable clientele. These were all expected parts of the job, and I was okay with it. What I didn’t expect to be part of my job at Wal-Mart was to witness massive amounts of welfare fraud and abuse.

I understand that sometimes, people are destitute. They need help, and they accept help from the state in order to feed their families. This is fine. It happens. I’m not against temporary aid helping those who truly need it. What I saw at Wal-Mart, however, was not temporary aid. I witnessed generations of families all relying on the state to buy food and other items. I literally witnessed small children asking their mothers if they could borrow their EBT cards. I once had a man show me his welfare card for an ID to buy alcohol. The man was from Massachusetts. Governor Michael Dukakis’ signature was on his welfare card. Dukakis’ last gubernatorial term ended in January of 1991. I was born in June of 1991. The man had been on welfare my entire life. That’s not how welfare was intended, but sadly, it is what it has become.

That's the typical kind of leftist propaganda bs from Alternet blog. It's not a news site. It's a far left liberal crap site like KOS and Huffpoop. Anyone who believes the crap they write needs their head examined.

• Like 4

That's the typical kind of leftist propaganda bs from Alternet blog. It's not a news site. It's a far left liberal crap site like KOS and Huffpoop. Anyone who believes the crap they write needs their head examined.

WERD!

Does Pubby have you post this stuff or do you actually believe it?

If Paulding.com gave all of its memberships away for free we’d all have equal access to all features on the site. Maybe we should get together and propose a law prohibiting web sites like these from pandering to those with the ability to pay for additional access while limiting those less fortunate.

It is only fair for the needy to have access to the same functions and features on the website as those more fortunate individuals. It’s a meager sum per individual so I can’t see why you or Pubby would have any real arguments against it. You’re only reason for charging something to begin is greed. I’m certain you understand that is a horrible thing.

Sounds pretty silly when it affects your pocket book doesn’t it??

Here is a simple idea…

If you don’t like WalMart, don’t shop there.

If you don’t want to work at Walmart, don’t work there.

Do not try to change the employer because you are unhappy. That is simply ridiculous…

Ever been to a unionized shop? You’ll meet some the angriest workers out there spreading some of the nastiest crap they can about employers. Even with all the “benefits” a union brings it still can not buy happiness. If you don’t like where you’re working, find a new job. If you can’t find a job that makes you happy, the jobs probably aren’t the problem.

• Like 4

Does Pubby have you post this stuff or do you actually believe it?

If Paulding.com gave all of its memberships away for free we'd all have equal access to all features on the site. Maybe we should get together and propose a law prohibiting web sites like these from pandering to those with the ability to pay for additional access while limiting those less fortunate.

It is only fair for the needy to have access to the same functions and features on the website as those more fortunate individuals.  It's a meager sum per individual so I can't see why you or Pubby would have any real arguments against it. You're only reason for charging something to begin is greed.  I'm certain you understand that is a horrible thing.

Sounds pretty silly when it affects your pocket book doesn't it??

Here is a simple idea…

If you don't like WalMart, don't shop there.

If you don't want to work at Walmart, don't work there.

Do not try to change the employer because you are unhappy. That is simply ridiculous…  

Ever been to a unionized shop? You'll meet some the angriest workers out there spreading some of the nastiest crap they can about employers. Even with all the "benefits" a union brings it still can not buy happiness.  If you don't like where you're working, find a new job. If you can't find a job that makes you happy, the jobs probably aren't the problem.

You sound so angry yourself. Maybe you should step away for a while, have a drink and come back a kinder, more genlte person.

You sound so angry yourself. Maybe you should step away for a while, have a drink and come back a kinder, more genlte person.

I'm not angry.

I am sensible and realistic.

Maybe you should put the drinks down, accept some responsibility and come back a more productive and contributing citizen.

• Like 7

To me Walmart is just an example of the many retail and food service jobs that pay low wages. I have always believed that this business model is killing our economy.

I believe that businesses should get huge tax breaks for paying a living wage or even higher. Tax the worker, let him manage his own money, if he can't I don't owe him a dime of welfare money and it lifts the burden from us all.

Welfare reform did nothing but subsidize minimum wage workers the largest percent being worked part time to pay the lowest tier of minimum wage.

Somehow we all agreed that we were willing to pay the difference for thier shelter, food, medical and childcare.

This is a business plan for profit clear and simple, but part of the agreement was higher taxes on the employer and the middle class.

So now not only does the low wage worker have no money to spend, the middle class has less to spend and the rich getting richer are screaming don't you dare tax us we will take the jobs away.

Sorry you don't see it, but it is simple and straight forward in my mind.

The impact has become huge as manufacturing has fallen off on our over all economy with somewhere around 40% working in these types of jobs.

What do you think would happen if we cut off food stamps to these workers, Walmart and all the other stores would be screaming within a week over loss revenue.

The owners of section 8 apartments and houses might quickly find themselves in foreclosure. Not to mention 1/2 the day cares shutting down. Hospitals would be hit hard by no medicare.

This is reality of how it is. We agree to it and think this is how it should be.

We know darn well that you can't afford any kind of shelter working even full time on minimum wage, it does not exist. So we agree this is good, you pay this wage, we supplement with tax dollars.

I don't agree to it, I don't agree to my tax money supplementing the living of low wage earners, while the companies make bigger profits and I have less to spend of my hard earned money.

If Paulding.com gave all of its memberships away for free we’d all have equal access to all features on the site. Maybe we should get together and propose a law prohibiting web sites like these from pandering to those with the ability to pay for additional access while limiting those less fortunate.

It is only fair for the needy to have access to the same functions and features on the website as those more fortunate individuals. It’s a meager sum per individual so I can’t see why you or Pubby would have any real arguments against it. You’re only reason for charging something to begin is greed. I’m certain you understand that is a horrible thing.

Better yet, how about if Pubby paid everyone who does work for P.com a 'living wage'.

• Like 1

why is Walmart responsible for poor life choices?

if Walmart paid 12 an hour for menial labor, secretaries who are already making 12, and feeling pretty good about making 4 bucks above minimum wage, would suddenly be equal to the check out girl with purple hair and 6 kids. what did you think would happen then? secretaries everywhere would begin to demand 15 an hour. and then the skilled tech workers making 15 would demand 17. and so on and so forth.

Walmart pays what the position is worth. as should every employer.

• Like 4

Can someone tell me: What is a living wage?

Definition of 'Living Wage'

A theoretical wage level that allows the earner to afford adequate shelter, food and the other necessities of life. The living wage should be substantial enough to ensure that no more than 30% of it needs to be spent on housing. The goal of the living wage is to allow employees to earn enough income for a satisfactory standard of living.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/living_wage.asp#ixzz1gW3u8mMU

The scariest part of this? I'm almost finished reading Atlas Shrugged. I highly suggest everyone read that book. Then decide what you think of profits and those evil employers.

I also suggest that everyone should read A.S. It's fiction, of course, dated (written in the 40s or 50s as I recall) , and presents specious arguments that deify business owners and make villains of the poor.

Sound familiar? It's where modern day Republicans get their ideas for the ideal republic - from a book of fiction. Some look at it as their bible, because they truly believe that it presents the way to salvation.

I think that instead of providing "salvation", real life application of the deification of business owners is proving to be our "Deliverance".

• Like 1

It was written in the 50s, but it does not make villains out of the poor. Yes, it is fiction. I do not regard it as my Bible, either. It is food for thought; a very good read. The similarities of our current economic status and society are pretty astounding.

I disagree with LPPT on this, by the way. I think that Wal-Mart can pay its employees whatever they want to, above the minimum wage. People should know that if they go to work for Wal-Mart, they'll need to get a second job to make ends meet. There's nothing that says that a person can't have a second job to supplement his income. There's nothing forcing a person to only work a 40 hour week.

Yea Saul Alinsky's, Rules for Radicals is much better. I'm pretty sure the White House thinks this book is the best ever written. It's where modern day Dems get their ideas for community US organizing.

I'm thinking that instead of providing "hope and change", real life application of our government growth is right on the "Marx".

I would eat my hat if more than 2% of people you consider Dems have read that book.

Better yet, how about if Pubby paid everyone who does work for P.com a 'living wage'.

Those who live in glass houses...

If certain things ever become common knowledge around here I suspect there’d be a big shift in the opinion by many. Those of us who have been around since near the beginning have a little more insight in to things.

In the end I don’t care what goes on beind the p.com curtain. I’ll reference it to make a point but I’d like to believe I’ll be the last person to tell someone how to run a business. Its Pubby’s website. Pubby’s floor. And Pubby’s chicken bones.

:D

The scariest part of this? I'm almost finished reading Atlas Shrugged. I highly suggest everyone read that book. Then decide what you think of profits and those evil employers.

I read Anthem on the flight home last night. It was scary to understand why some would want a world like that and even scarier to believe something like that could happen in the not so distance future. It makes me fear for what lies ahead for my child.

It was written in the 50s, but it does not make villains out of the poor. Yes, it is fiction. I do not regard it as my Bible, either. It is food for thought; a very good read. The similarities of our current economic status and society are pretty astounding.

I didn't mean to imply that you regard it as YOUR bible necessarily, but that the republican think-tankers have obviously taken some of their meme-speech from the specious conclusions of the book. It's also become a recent meme for republicans to suggest A.S. as required reading in the study of modern day macroeconomics. We will always have producers and consumers. "The poor we will always have with us", don't you know?

Yes, food for thought, no doubt. But everyone, as they read it, should be mindful that it is a book of fiction and not even a cautionary tale with real-world applications.

I didn't mean to imply that you regard it as YOUR bible necessarily, but that the republican think-tankers have obviously taken some of their meme-speech from the specious conclusions of the book. It's also become a recent meme for republicans to suggest A.S. as required reading in the study of modern day macroeconomics. We will always have producers and consumers. "The poor we will always have with us", don't you know?

Yes, food for thought, no doubt. But everyone, as they read it, should be mindful that it is a book of fiction and not even a cautionary tale with real-world applications.

Glen Beck wants us to buy gold too.

why is Walmart responsible for poor life choices?

if Walmart paid 12 an hour for menial labor, secretaries who are already making 12, and feeling pretty good about making 4 bucks above minimum wage, would suddenly be equal to the check out girl with purple hair and 6 kids. what did you think would happen then? secretaries everywhere would begin to demand 15 an hour. and then the skilled tech workers making 15 would demand 17. and so on and so forth.

Walmart pays what the position is worth. as should every employer.

Given the typical caliber of their employees, WalMart is probably being very generous with their pay. Sorry, but most of the people who work in their stores are not very bright.

An argument could be made that they would get a higher caliber of employees if they paid them more. But then, where would the functional illiterate work?

Honestly, WalMart is probably doing this country a service by employing those would couldn't work hardly anywhere else.

I disagree with LPPT on this, by the way. I think that Wal-Mart can pay its employees whatever they want to, above the minimum wage. People should know that if they go to work for Wal-Mart, they'll need to get a second job to make ends meet. There's nothing that says that a person can't have a second job to supplement his income. There's nothing forcing a person to only work a 40 hour week.

I agree with this.

In the end I don't care what goes on beind the p.com curtain. I'll reference it to make a point but I'd like to believe I'll be the last person to tell someone how to run a business. Its Pubby's website. Pubby's floor. And Pubby's chicken bones.

I read Anthem on the flight home last night. It was scary to understand why some would want a world like that and even scarier to believe something like that could happen in the not so distance future. It makes me fear for what lies ahead for my child.

Other than the mixed metaphor, I really enjoyed this analogy - It was a really good word picture and there are not very many people who can do that as well as you did. Nice job.

Oftentimes, in books of fiction, the author relies on the reader to enter the world that he/she has created, which ignores human nature and other dynamics of human interaction to make a point. While these things make you think, there are reasons that particular dire circumstances don't present themselves outside of books of fiction. Real economic theory is based on the previously mentioned dynamics that motivate people. For instance in an economy there is are places for a dominant player, a contender for dominance, and then upstarts, start-ups and niche players. If one player fades from the scene, that player is replaced by one waiting in the wings on a lower tier.

In doomsday fiction, the safeguards that keep doomsday scenarios from happening are left out of the story. The criminal shoots it out with the FBI and drives away quickly and he just --- gets away. In real life, there would be helicopters and a hundred police cars scouring the area in search of the criminals. But that's real life and fiction is fiction and the escape from the way that things really work are the things that enable the fictional account.

I agree in part with this. I only brought it up because, IMO, it is relevant to this particular discussion. One should keep in mind it is fiction, but also realize it is a "cautionary tale" of sorts. That is JMO, of course.

Look at the ripple effect. Start paying $12 hr at Walmart then Targets' employees will have to get more. Kroger cashier's and stock people will demand more. Then you have Publix, Food Lion, Macy's, Sears, Hibbets, Pet Smart, Garden Ridge, McD's, Wendy's, Hobby Lobby, Lowes, Home Depot, and the list goes on. Just think if each store cost the average customer $10 each year.......WoW!!!!! There would be an increase of thousands of dollars for all of us. How about the companies who wouldn't be able to afford to pay the increases? What about the ones who couldn't raise their prices of their products to offset the increase in payroll? Then you have the service industry! OMG, where would it end? This thread is starting to be more like a nightmare..........I hope everyone can see what MIGHT happen.

Actually Wal-Mart doesn't pay that bad. Most Wal-Mart workers make more then other retailers pay...I also doubt the numbers in the OP's study. Having run retail stores for years, and now doing it again from a higher level Payroll is the biggest cost other then rent and product.

• Like 1

Companies will pay their workers based on the value of the work. It would make no sense for Walmart to pay a much higher wage to a clerk if their competition is paying a lower wage for that same position.

As with any position you can review many web sites (e.g. salary.com) that record what a job position is worth in the open market. You will often not get paid more than what your value is in that position.

Oftentimes, in books of fiction, the author relies on the reader to enter the world that he/she has created, which ignores human nature and other dynamics of human interaction to make a point.

I agree. I don't think we'll ever see an exact vision of the book become reality, but I do think many would welcome something similar in principle. The scary part is I can relate to why someone would want something like that and years ago would have probably supported it…