Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
fishnthec

Christmas candy and sweets

My family's favorite, by far, is Ritz crackers with peanut butter dipped in chocolate. They probably have another name but I don't know what it is. I like to make several different things though so I am looking for good ideas. Whatcha got?

Butterscotch Haystacks, homemade fudge, my oreo whipped cheesecake and Chocolate Buckeyes.:wub:

Haystacks are super simple and CHEAP!

We made "cracker candy" today, it taste like a Heath bar. It was simple and cheap. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/saltine-toffee-cookies/detail.aspx

I used light brown sugar & milk Choco chips.

Oreo truffles are also quick and easy.

I have wanted to try those cracker candies. I think I will. I love the Oreo Truffles too but it seems like everyone is making them.

I have wanted to try those cracker candies. I think I will. I love the Oreo Truffles too but it seems like everyone is making them.

Please do, I was surprised how easy and delicious they are. Use parchment paper in your pan and spray it. Also, use a pan with sides.

Mini twist pretzels covered in white chocolate "bark." Just microwave to melt the bark; stir often - don't melt it until the lumps are gone, or it will be burnt. Stir out the lumps. I just dump a handful of pretzels into the chocolate, then use a toothpick to fish them out. Cool on wax paper. I may top some with crushed candy cane this year to make white chocoalte peppermint pretzels.

I have a friend that I would like to make fudge for but she does not like the creamy kind that I normally make. She is always talking about the kind her mother used to make and it is harder. Do any of you know what she could be talking about? I make my fudge with marshmallow cream so it is really creamy, but I like it that way.

I usually make turtles but with the price of pecans being higher than gold I think I will limit who gets those. :)

I love divinity, but have never been able to make a batch that worked. I don't know what is up with that. :wacko:

Keep the ideas coming. :)

Edited by fishnthec

My family's favorite, by far, is Ritz crackers with peanut butter dipped in chocolate. They probably have another name but I don't know what it is. I like to make several different things though so I am looking for good ideas. Whatcha got?

I love peanut butter balls, I think a lot of people call them buckeyes. YUUUM!

I make these for everyone at work. They beg for them every year. I am gonna make some stuffed with Reece's peanut butter cups in the middle too.

I have a friend that I would like to make fudge for but she does not like the creamy kind that I normally make. She is always talking about the kind her mother used to make and it is harder. Do any of you know what she could be talking about?

My Mother made it with the dry Hershey's cocoa in the can when I was growing up. I found the one below and it is the same ingredients and measurements as the Hershey's website recipe.

HERSHEY'S COCOA FUDGE

2/3 c. Hershey's cocoa

3 c. sugar

1/8 tsp. salt

1 1/2 c. milk

1/4 c. butter

1 tsp. vanilla

Thoroughly combine dry ingredients in a heavy 4 quart saucepan; stir in milk. Bring to a bubbly boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring to 234°F (soft ball stage). Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan. Remove from heat add butter and vanilla. Do not stir. Cool at room temperature to 110°F. Beat until fudge thickens and loses some of its gloss.

Quickly spread in a lightly buttered 8 or 9 inch square pan.

Cool.

Makes 3 dozen squares.

• Like 1

I make these for everyone at work. They beg for them every year. I am gonna make some stuffed with Reece's peanut butter cups in the middle too.

Try these using lemon frosting in the middle and dipping in white bark. Very good!

Hubby's Mom always made Martha Washington candy every Christmas. I've taken up the tradition since she passed away. That stuff is like Crack!!! It's addictive!!! LOL!!! I also make fudge, white chocolate peppermint bark, No Oven Peanut Butter Bars and dark chocolate Christmas bark with Craisins and pecans. Yummy!!!!!

Try these using lemon frosting in the middle and dipping in white bark. Very good!

That is an interesting combination. I will have to try a few of those just out of curiosity.

My Mother made it with the dry Hershey's cocoa in the can when I was growing up. I found the one below and it is the same ingredients and measurements as the Hershey's website recipe.

HERSHEY'S COCOA FUDGE

2/3 c. Hershey's cocoa

3 c. sugar

1/8 tsp. salt

1 1/2 c. milk

1/4 c. butter

1 tsp. vanilla

Thoroughly combine dry ingredients in a heavy 4 quart saucepan; stir in milk. Bring to a bubbly boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring to 234°F (soft ball stage). Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan. Remove from heat add butter and vanilla. Do not stir. Cool at room temperature to 110°F. Beat until fudge thickens and loses some of its gloss.

Quickly spread in a lightly buttered 8 or 9 inch square pan.

Cool.

Makes 3 dozen squares.

This is the best fudge ever - I only let it cool for about 15 minutes after it reaches soft ball stage (use a candy thermometer, but still test it in ice water) and I only use a wooden spoon to stir/beat it with. I've already made 6 pans of this and will make 2 more tonight to give as gifts. I make fudge, toffee (the cracker toffee above), turtles, pralines, ginger cookies, wedding cookies and truffles for baskets and they are a big hit!! Thinking of adding white chocolate covered pretzels (drizzled w/dark or milk chocolate) this year. Who needs sleep with all of this chocolate around!

Potato Candy its an old time candy my mother made it every year take 1 smallto med irish potato boil it whole mash it up mix confectioners sugar with it until stiff roll it out spread peanut butter on it roll it up like a jelly roll cut it in slices refreig it it makes a bunch its so delicious one of my family favorite.

Crock Pot Candy is the best. I found the recipe here last year and everyone I made them for all but begged me for them again this year. One batch makes a TON!!

Crock Pot Candy

Layer in the Crock pot:

One jar salted dry roasted peanuts.

One jar unsalted dry roasted peanuts.

One package of semi-sweet chocolate bits.

One package of Baker’s chocolate, broken up.

Two layers of candy glaze stuff (looks like ice cubes in a plastic tray, comes in chocolate or white almond flavors. I’ve used both and can’t tell the difference).

Do not stir. Put the lid on the Crock pot, turn on low for 3 hours and do not take the lid off for any reason whatsoever during that three hours. When the time is up, take the lid off and stir. Leave the mixture in the pot to cool (I have a removable crock and I take it out of the heat thingy, set it aside for a couple of hours with the top off). You’ll probably need to stir it several times during that cooling time. Then drop it by teaspoonfuls on waxed paper and let it cool so it’s hard.

NOTE: this stuff is quite messy to make but wonderful to eat. I've tried it both with and without a slow cooker liner in it and I think without makes for easier clean up.

Does anyone make chocolate coconut balls? They taste like Almond Joys. I need a recepie.

My recipe is called Potato Candy--but it tastes like a Mounds Bar!!

3/4 C cold mashed potatoes

1 lb flaked coconut

1 lb xxx sugar

1 tsp almond extract

1/4 tsp salt

1 lg bag semi sweet chocolate chips

1/3 bar paraffin wax

Mix first 5 ingrediants well. Drop by teaspoons (I usually somewhat roll in balls) onto tray or flat surface. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Melt chocolate and wax in double boiler and dip coconut balls and dry on wax paper.

And you don't taste the potatoes--they are to kindof hold everything together.

ENJOY!!

Orrby's Christmas Goodies.

Chocolate Covered Cherries

Melt 1 package of 6 oz chocolate bits, plus 1 plain Hershey Bar and ¾ block of paraffin wax over a double boiler.

Take 2 and ½ pounds of powder sugar (2 and ½ boxes), 2 sticks of softened butter, 1 tsp of vanilla flavoring, 1 cup of pecans (chopped fine); then add enough evaporated milk to mix everything and to knead well.

Refrigerate sugar mixture until hard and cold.

Get 2 large jars of Manchurian Cherries.

After sugar mixture has got hard and pliable, take a spoon and spoon out and wrap/cover cherries with it. Then take a skewer and stick into cherry. Dip cherry into melted chocolate mix. Cover well with chocolate. Slip chocolate covered cherry onto wax paper to cool.

After you have covered and dipped all of the cherries that will fit on your paper, let sit and cool. Once cooled, put into container with lid and set in a cool dry place. Try to let them sit for a week or more for better flavor. But, if you are like us, we just toss in fridge and eat as fast as we can, because they are so good.

Caramel Walnut Bars

2 cups unsifted flour

¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1 egg beaten

¼ cup cold margarine or butter

¾ cup shelled walnuts chopped

24 Eagle Brand Caramels, unwrapped

1 (14oz) Can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk (NOT evaporated)

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine four sugar and egg. Cut ½ cup margarine until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Reserving 2 cups crumb mixture. Press remainder firmly on bottom of greased 13X9 inch baking pan. Bake 15 min. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, over low heat melt caramels with sweetened condensed milk and remaining margarine. Pour over prepared crust. Top with reserved crumble mixture. Bake 20 min or until bubbly. Cool, cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

Peppermint Brittle

2 pounds white chocolate

30 small peppermint candy canes

Directions

Line a large jellyroll pan with heavy-duty foil.

Place white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on medium setting for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth.

Place candy canes in a plastic bag, or between two pieces of waxed paper. Using a mallet or rolling pin, break the candy canes into chunks. Stir peppermint into melted white chocolate. Spread evenly in pan, and chill until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces by slamming pan on counter.

Brownies

1 cup sugar

1 stick of butter ( 1/2 cup butter)

2/3 cup of unsifted flour

¾ cup chopped nuts

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

2 squares of unsweetened chocolate melted

Bake 375 30- 35 min check in 20 min.

Fudge Frosting

1/3 soft butter

2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate squares or 1/3 cup of unsweetened coca

2 cup of confection sugar (use more as needed)

1 ½ tsp of vanilla

2 tablespoons of milk

Beat together until smooth.

cheesecake

Crust:

1 ¼ graham cracker crumbs

3 tbsp sugar ¾ stick melted butter

Filling:

3 (8oz) packages of cream cheese

2 tsp vanilla

½ tsp lemon juice

1 cup sugar

5 eggs

Topping:

2 cups sour cream

¼ cup sugar

2 tsp vanilla

You will need a 10 inch spring pan. Put foil around the bottom of the pan on the outside. Grease pan lightly with butter (bottom only). Mix crust ingredients: line pan. Set oven to 350 degrees. Soften cream cheese in a large bowl. Add vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until fluffy. Add sugar gradually and mix. Add eggs one at a time, and mix. Pour onto cruse. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven. Set oven at 450 degrees. Mix topping ingredients. Spread on top of the cake. Bake 10 minutes. Remove. Let cool. Refrigerate. It will make 6 to 10 servings.

Triple chocolate cake

1 package of chocolate cake mix

1 (4 servings) package of chocolate instant pudding

4 eggs

1 ¼ cup of water

¼ cup oil

1cup mini chocolate chips (can use up to 2 cups)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stir with a fork until blended, about 2 min. Pour batter in a greased and floured 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 min, or until cake springs back and cake test done with tooth pick is clean.

Frost with Fudge Frosting (see above) and put small chocolate chips all over cake/or just on top if you prefer.

Merry Christmas!!! :wub: Hope everyone Enjoys them..

Edited by orrby

I have a friend that I would like to make fudge for but she does not like the creamy kind that I normally make. She is always talking about the kind her mother used to make and it is harder. Do any of you know what she could be talking about? I make my fudge with marshmallow cream so it is really creamy, but I like it that way.

I usually make turtles but with the price of pecans being higher than gold I think I will limit who gets those. :)

I love divinity, but have never been able to make a batch that worked. I don't know what is up with that. :wacko:

Keep the ideas coming. :)

I make a fudge like this.It is real easy to make...3cups semi sweet chocolate,1 14ounce can sweetened condensed milk,1/3 teaspoon salt,1/2 to 1 cup walnuts,1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Melt chocolate condensed milk salt in saucepan.stir constantly, add nuts(if you like) and vanilla. spread evenly in pan let cool. I roll them in balls, and either dip them with extra chocolate, or powdered sugar, or ciniamon .

My recipe is called Potato Candy--but it tastes like a Mounds Bar!!

3/4 C cold mashed potatoes

1 lb flaked coconut

1 lb xxx sugar

1 tsp almond extract

1/4 tsp salt

1 lg bag semi sweet chocolate chips

1/3 bar paraffin wax

Mix first 5 ingrediants well. Drop by teaspoons (I usually somewhat roll in balls) onto tray or flat surface. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Melt chocolate and wax in double boiler and dip coconut balls and dry on wax paper.

And you don't taste the potatoes--they are to kindof hold everything together.

ENJOY!!

Thanks for the memory, my mom used to make something like this!:)

The ONLY kind of Fudge there is---is the old fashioned Hershey Cocoa kind!!!

Anything else is just plain nasty--and not real fudge!!!

:o ..... now I really really really want some fudge.

Aanybody willing to make me some?!?!?

I've been good I promise ;)