Paulding.com

Chicken World, "Should We Deliver?"

There are a lot of things to consider before you take on delivery.

We had a pizza place years and years ago and had the first delivery around here.

You've got the get the "restaurant" part of your business down first, as I am seeing some complaints.

You've got to have enough employees to "guarantee" delivery; ie: You don't want to be able to deliver tomorrow, but Opps! I don't have anyone tonight. You've got to be able to deliver on a consistant basis.

Then there is the insurance and liability issues.

Delivery is a whole 'nother animal. It can and will take from the quality that you are striving for if not done properly.

Good luck!

• Like 2

There are a lot of things to consider before you take on delivery.

I worked all big 3 pizza delivery joints during my teens (full time) and early 20's (part time).

We had a pizza place years and years ago and had the first delivery around here.

Would that happen to be Luigi's Pizza on Ridge? I worked there too, one of the more fun, loosest places to work, they had enough drivers that I could show up on the weekends and work as I pleased, no schedule, which was nice.

You've got the get the "restaurant" part of your business down first, as I am seeing some complaints.

Wife and I along with others we know have eaten Chicken World now several times, we don't have a problem with waits as we call it in and pick it up, but we've had consistency problems. Food is always good, but keep having problems with sauces and sides missing.

You've got to have enough employees to "guarantee" delivery; ie: You don't want to be able to deliver tomorrow, but Opps! I don't have anyone tonight. You've got to be able to deliver on a consistant basis.

Yup yup. And there are tons of variables on how many drivers you need. Summer volume is different than Winter, week long school holidays, etc.. all make a difference in delivery loads. You need to always have at least one driver starting for lunch deliveries, 3-5 on weeknights if you are going to be high volume, as many as 8-10 during weekend nights, again depending on volume. You could get away with as few drivers as 2 on weeknight evenings, and 4-5 on weekend, but wait times are going to suffer.

Then there is the insurance and liability issues.

Only Domino's were required to have a "driver" orientation class for new drivers from their past "30 Minute" guarantees. The rest of the places put all insurance and liability on the drivers. They are required by their own liability not to push the drivers to get things delivered "on time", fast on your feet and not on the street as is Domino's policy on deliveries. But yeah you would need to have an insurance to make sure if that one driver that screws up and kills a whole family in their mini-van then you are protected against losing your livelihood.

Delivery is a whole 'nother animal. It can and will take from the quality that you are striving for if not done properly.

Good luck!

I would honestly suggest that you get your ship a bit tighter with your quality of service, then if it were me, I would look at poaching a manager from a pizza place who has the experience to help you guys get your drivers hired and scheduled and who knows how to handle the cash out at the end of the night. One who has been around the game long enough to know how to anticipate your delivery loads, how to adjust prices (delivery charges and driver recompense), and put together the type of deals that make people want to order delivery, it's not only about convenience but feeling like you are getting a "deal" when you order it delivered.

• Like 2

I worked all big 3 pizza delivery joints during my teens (full time) and early 20's (part time).

Would that happen to be Luigi's Pizza on Ridge? I worked there too, one of the more fun, loosest places to work, they had enough drivers that I could show up on the weekends and work as I pleased, no schedule, which was nice.

Wife and I along with others we know have eaten Chicken World now several times, we don't have a problem with waits as we call it in and pick it up, but we've had consistency problems. Food is always good, but keep having problems with sauces and sides missing.

Yup yup. And there are tons of variables on how many drivers you need. Summer volume is different than Winter, week long school holidays, etc.. all make a difference in delivery loads. You need to always have at least one driver starting for lunch deliveries, 3-5 on weeknights if you are going to be high volume, as many as 8-10 during weekend nights, again depending on volume. You could get away with as few drivers as 2 on weeknight evenings, and 4-5 on weekend, but wait times are going to suffer.

Only Domino's were required to have a "driver" orientation class for new drivers from their past "30 Minute" guarantees. The rest of the places put all insurance and liability on the drivers. They are required by their own liability not to push the drivers to get things delivered "on time", fast on your feet and not on the street as is Domino's policy on deliveries. But yeah you would need to have an insurance to make sure if that one driver that screws up and kills a whole family in their mini-van then you are protected against losing your livelihood.

I would honestly suggest that you get your ship a bit tighter with your quality of service, then if it were me, I would look at poaching a manager from a pizza place who has the experience to help you guys get your drivers hired and scheduled and who knows how to handle the cash out at the end of the night. One who has been around the game long enough to know how to anticipate your delivery loads, how to adjust prices (delivery charges and driver recompense), and put together the type of deals that make people want to order delivery, it's not only about convenience but feeling like you are getting a "deal" when you order it delivered.

Wow! All of that is great advice!!

We were actually on the East side of the county at Cobb County.

And you're right about the number of drivers. We had help and were able to look at past books and scheduling from another delivery place to get an idea of what we were dealing with.

We had great drivers, but that was a different era. We had our business during the mid 80's and people were a lot nicer back then :blush: I don't know what drivers encounter now, but I'm always nice and tip extra when it's raining.

Delivery, to do it right, is a challenge at best.

We always pulled previous years to see how many drivers we were working each day.

So many things play into delivery. Thursday and Friday were always the busiest nights, Saturday every body would go out to eat. Sunday was slow, Monday was busy, nobody wanted to cook and Wednesday folks were on their way to church.

Then Holidays come into play, school being out, summer schedules, etc.

So if the owner could get with another place that delivers it would certainly help, but again don't take it on until you've got your restaurant where you want it.

The money that can be made on delivery can be "heady".

Again, good luck!!

Yeah, thanks for all the advice. Did anyone try our Chicken World Famous Sauce and did you like it?

Wow! All of that is great advice!!

We were actually on the East side of the county at Cobb County.

And you're right about the number of drivers. We had help and were able to look at past books and scheduling from another delivery place to get an idea of what we were dealing with.

We had great drivers, but that was a different era. We had our business during the mid 80's and people were a lot nicer back then :blush: I don't know what drivers encounter now, but I'm always nice and tip extra when it's raining.

Delivery, to do it right, is a challenge at best.

We always pulled previous years to see how many drivers we were working each day.

So many things play into delivery. Thursday and Friday were always the busiest nights, Saturday every body would go out to eat. Sunday was slow, Monday was busy, nobody wanted to cook and Wednesday folks were on their way to church.

Then Holidays come into play, school being out, summer schedules, etc.

So if the owner could get with another place that delivers it would certainly help, but again don't take it on until you've got your restaurant where you want it.

The money that can be made on delivery can be "heady".

Again, good luck!!

SOOOO Glad to here, trying to make it better everyday. Thanks again for your idea, and yes I will check on frequent flyer card tomorrow with my point of sale system company. "cause it's a Chicken World, Baby!"

Ate lunch there today, in and out in about 30 minutes. Yea, the wait time was waaaaayyyyy down from our first time. This is some yummy food!! It's right down the road from my office so I will be visiting often. How about a frequent flyer card?? LOL

• 1 month later...

I think people will try you BECAUSE you deliver. That is an advantage over so many other places. Also, I suggest you fax/email local businesses for lunch delivery. Many people like me never leave their desks, or may be a one man operation and can't leave!

• Like 1

I think people will try you BECAUSE you deliver. That is an advantage over so many other places. Also, I suggest you fax/email local businesses for lunch delivery. Many people like me never leave their desks, or may be a one man operation and can't leave!

Definately. I've said it before on here, Paulding does not have enough delivery options.

Deliver to New Hope!! Please!

yes please deliver out passed rose's store and to Yorkville, Courthouse park sub PLEASE... :)

Even a little bit further than that, please...to Union Station!

I've never eaten at CW, but I've heard a few friends speak of it. I'd try it if you'd deliver. Especially since we are limited to delivery out her in the boonies! LOL

I know we would all like to have more delivery options, but from a business standpoint, you have to think long and hard about how far you are willing to go. Will the quality of your food suffer after the trip? Will your drivers make enough to be able to attract quality, service minded people without dipping too far into your bottom line?

• Like 1