Paulding.com

The Morning After Pill

I started to read the article, however, when I got to the part where Obozo said "that we apply some common sense to various rules" that did it for me. So, I don't have any comment on the Plan B pill.

:rofl: Yeah I went in and out of it while reading, I never have cared to much for anything he says he dont catch my attention much.

However, We do have people under the age of 17 that do not have the courage to speak to their parents when they do need things like this. They think they are mature enough to have sex but cant be mature enough to handle the actions. I am not for aboortzions and alot of people think that this is a form of it, (which I totally get that) But I think that in this day, kids are more prone to have intercourse and some do not comfortably get on birth controls til about 16-up. So I believe that they should be able to get this pill if seriously needed. Meaning dont just sit it on the shelf fine, but to have a ID to use it to me is crazy!

Who gives the pharmacy the right to say no you are 15/16 and you made a HORRIBLE mistake so you can not use this pill you must either tell your parent, or someone else to give it for you. I just dont think it is fair in my opinion. There are just too many girls out there that are 15/16 and pregnant, heck even 13! And some would tell you if they could have the chance to ACCESS the pill or have the money for an aboortzion they would go back. ( or just not have had sex :) )

Had to correct my spelling typos .. excuse me but in this pregnancy my fingers are getting larger and harder to type :rofl:

Edited by LuV D@ M0N3Y

I completely understand that it can be misused and that it just puts that much more distance between parent and child, but it's a shame that we do everything we can to encourage teenage pregnancy.

I also think it's a shame we do everything we can to encourage casual sex. And, no responsibility.

Edited by gog8tors
  • Like 5

I don't think the Government should be involved in legislating what anyone does with their own body. If the drug exists, it should be out there for anyone who wants to purchase it. Plain and simple.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

• Like 2

I don't think the Government should be involved in legislating what anyone does with their own body. If the drug exists, it should be out there for anyone who wants to purchase it. Plain and simple.

I agree

NC-17 make sure you put extra in there for me .... oops too late :ninja:

Maybe i can use it next year lol

I also think it's a shame we do everything we can to encourage casual sex. And, no responsibility.

I would never be ashamed of having casual sex. I would be ashamed to bring an unwanted, unaffordable baby into the world.

• Like 5

One name, Steve Jobs.

"Born to an unmarried 16-year-old named Kathleen Maddox, in Cincinnati General Hospital, Ohio, Manson was first named "no name Maddox."[2]:136–7[7][8] Within weeks, he was Charles Milles Maddox.[2]:136–7[9][10] For a period after his birth, his mother was married to a laborer named William Manson,[10] whose last name the boy was given. The boy's biological father appears to have been a "Colonel Scott," against whom Kathleen Maddox filed a bastardy suit that resulted in an agreed judgment in 1937.[2]:136–7 Possibly, the boy never really knew him.[2]:136–7[8]"

laugh.gif

There was one Steve Jobs in America. I, personally, know more than a dozen people who were 'accidents' and grew up in unfortunate situations.

But how many more Steve Jobs might there be? How many Beethovens? How many Lincolns? How about the people that are not necessarily famous, but touch peoples lives in a positive way. No matter the orgions, every one has greatness in them.

And I know many more then a dozen who started off in unfortunate situations, but ended up in great situations.

Casual sex is encouraged as long as you are a guy, but if you are a girl (yes, even now) you are a slut, and whore. Guys have no lasting effects (unless they get an STD) girls do.

My point is why are these kids even having sex? I don't know any 11 year olds that are even thinking about these things. Really how many are having sex? Would this be the 1% that would be raped? Would this be the 1% that is in a horrid situation? If that is the case, then there are much bigger issues.

Basically if you were born in 1973 and after go and give your mom a big hug. You might want to send her a huge bouquet of roses.

We drilled "Safe-Sex" into ours from an early age. Even putting condoms on bananas.

When me and the Mrs came along, all we had to worry about were the 2 "ancient" STDs, both of which were easily cured with some antibiotices.

Now days, the STDs can and will kill you. Unwanted pregnancies should be a secondary issue to stopping HIV, etc.

I would be concerned of younger girls taking high doses of estrogen, and I believe that was some of the FDA's concern on making them available to 17+, but requiring an adult approval for younger.

And someone explain to me the difference between a daily estrogen BC pill, which prevents a fertilized egg from being able to attach to the uterine wall, and an estrogen "morning after" pill, which also causes a fertilized egg from attaching. They both do the same thing.

I think they should call it the "Oh Chit, did I really do that with HIM last night?" Pill.drinks.gif

Here is my .02cents worth.........

I am a VERY conservative Christian, always have been, always will be.

From there you can guess my thought on the "a" word.

HOWEVER, I think that the morning after pill should be available for adults. We all know that no matter how conservative or moral or responsible that we think we are.......things happen.

This pill is to be taken BEFORE the sperm fertilizes the egg.......therefore I do not consider it a form of "a........".

That is just my thought.

EDITED to add.........I do not think that this is a good idea for teenagers. I wish we would work harder on teaching abstinence. YES, abstinence works. And most (not all) of the people I grew up with were proud to remain virgins for a long time. Again, this goes back to my post last week............we need to let kids be kids. They grow up way too fast.

Edited by mysterious

It is a very large dose of a drug that an 11 or 13 year old quite likely has never had before in their life. Add that to the fact that the ability of a young teen to make rational decisions is certainly not up to that of an older child. It is reasonable to allow parental input into such a decision for girls under 17. Eleven to Sixteen year old's are not adults, they are not women, they are children, and "Plan B" is not a rubber.

• Like 1

And someone explain to me the difference between a daily estrogen BC pill, which prevents a fertilized egg from being able to attach to the uterine wall, and an estrogen "morning after" pill, which also causes a fertilized egg from attaching. They both do the same thing.

Plan B One-Step (Levonorgestrel) uses progestin, not estrogen.

Progestin prevents an ovary from releasing an egg.

This is NOT the aboortzion pill, which is RU486 and available in Europe.

Teenagers are going to have sex.

When I was in high school there was nothing available except condoms. And it was just common practice that if you were engaged, you were having sex.

This was 1967-1968. Yes I had sex when I was a teenager and we were careful. Some others were not as fortunate and "had" to get married. Only to be divorced later.

Now if you were a boy you could have all the sex you wanted, with anyone. But if you were a girl, you had to be engaged to be married.

If your weren't, then you were the High School SLUT.

Just a fact of life back then.

Source

How Does the Morning-After Pill (Emergency Contraception) Work? Two brands of the morning-after pill — Plan B One-Step and Next Choice — are made of one of the hormones found in birth control pills called progestin. Hormones are chemicals made in our bodies. They control how different parts of the body work.

The other brand of the morning-after pill — ella — is made of a medication called ulipristal acetate.

All brands of the morning-after pill work by keeping a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs — ovulation. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm. The hormone in the morning-after pill also prevents pregnancy by thickening a woman's cervical mucus. The mucus blocks sperm and keeps it from joining with an egg.

The morning-after pill can also thin the lining of the uterus. In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

You might have also heard that the morning-after pill causes an aboortzion. But that's not true. The morning-after pill is not the aboortzion pill. Emergency contraception is birth control, not aboortzion.

SOURCE

One Pill. One Step. Plan B One-Step® is a backup plan that helps prevent pregnancy after birth control failure. The sooner you take emergency contraception, the better it works. Plan B One-Step® is just one pill, so you get what you need right away.

With Plan B One-Step®, you have up to 72 hours (3 days) to prevent a pregnancy. Plan B One-Step® is not the aboortzion pill and it isn’t a substitute for routine birth control.

SOURCE

Emergency contraceptive pills (sometimes referred to as emergency hormonal contraception (EHC) in Great Britain) may contain higher doses of the same hormones (estrogens, progestins, or both) found in regular combined oral contraceptive pills. Taken after unprotected sexual intercourse or contraceptive failure, such higher doses may prevent pregnancy from occurring.[5] Mifepristone can also be used as EC, though this drug is not considered an "emergency contraceptive pill." It is an anti-hormonal drug, and does not contain estrogen or progestins.[6]

The phrase "morning-after pill" is a misnomer; ECPs are effective when used shortly after intercourse. Depending on the drug, they are licensed for use for up to 107 to 120 hours after unprotected sexual intercourse or contraceptive failure.

Goberment and people need to mind their own business.

I just love how Pro Life keeps spending millions on different ways to stop aboortzions, but spends so little on endorsing adoption and those that support Pro life..... don't seem to have adopted kids in their homes.

Makes me think... hummm

• Like 2

I just love how Pro Life keeps spending millions on different ways to stop aboortzions, but spends so little on endorsing adoption and those that support Pro life..... don't seem to have adopted kids in their homes.

Makes me think... hummm

AMEN!!

• Like 1

Makes me think... hummm

Let's stay on the topic and not the ancillary A topic.

I don't see birth control in any way, shape, form or fashion as "encouraging" casual sex. I see it as being responsible because face it, young people ARE going to have sex. To provide the tools, ANY tool, to do it safer is fine and dandy with me.

One name, Steve Jobs.

For every Steve Jobs, you have children born sick and unwanted or to parents who are unable and unwilling to care for a child. However, these parents have kids who don't have a chance and lead lives of misery. I don't think ab**tion should be birth control, but I don't see the morning after pill as such. I think Obama caved to political pressure from the religious right, who will never vote for him anyway.

I have no issue with girls under the age of 16 being able to go to the health department, planned parenthood or even a nurse to receive this drug no questions asked.

Knowing what I know about teens under that age, I m not for them being able to purchase any over the counter drugs period.

Condoms yes, this pill no, they don't have enough judgement to understand how harmful it can be used a few times a week no matter what the instructions say.

Ask a middle school teacher about the things kids this age do, and then see if you think it is safe. I can realistically see young men using them as a persuasion tool.

I think this was a smart decision.

I have no issue with girls under the age of 16 being able to go to the health department, planned parenthood or even a nurse to receive this drug no questions asked.

Knowing what I know about teens under that age, I m not for them being able to purchase any over the counter drugs period.

Condoms yes, this pill no, they don't have enough judgement to understand how harmful it can be used a few times a week no matter what the instructions say.

Ask a middle school teacher about the things kids this age do, and then see if you think it is safe. I can realistically see young men using them as a persuasion tool.

I think this was a smart decision.

Well put and I could not agree more.

PERSUASION TOOL?

They are still doing that?

But how many more Steve Jobs might there be? How many Beethovens? How many Lincolns? How about the people that are not necessarily famous, but touch peoples lives in a positive way. No matter the orgions, every one has greatness in them.

And I know many more then a dozen who started off in unfortunate situations, but ended up in great situations.

Casual sex is encouraged as long as you are a guy, but if you are a girl (yes, even now) you are a slut, and whore. Guys have no lasting effects (unless they get an STD) girls do.

My point is why are these kids even having sex? I don't know any 11 year olds that are even thinking about these things. Really how many are having sex? Would this be the 1% that would be raped? Would this be the 1% that is in a horrid situation? If that is the case, then there are much bigger issues.

Basically if you were born in 1973 and after go and give your mom a big hug. You might want to send her a huge bouquet of roses.

The number of girls raped is much greater than 1%

7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.4

15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12.

Edited by Slumber Parties by Kelly

The number of girls raped is much greater than 1%

7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.4

15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12.

Last week after the murder of Jorely Rivera, the stats given on the news is

1 in 4 girls and 1 in 7 boys are sexually assaulted.

Studies have shown that abstinence only programs fail. They provide teens with false information and make it much LESS likely that a teen will use birth control when they DO have sex, and they WILL have sex. Don't kid yourself about that.

No brag, just fact, but we raised three daughters and NONE of them had a baby until they were married. All three got out of high school without even as much as a pregnancy scare while some of their friends had babies in 9th or 10th grade. We told our girls that we would prefer that they wait until marriage to have sex but if they decided to go ahead before marriage, that they should use birth control of some type EVERY time including the first time. We also told them that a condom should be used REGARDLESS of any other form of birth control they were using and if the guy wasn't willing to do that, he didn't care about them as individuals and wasn't worth their time.