Paulding.com

Target defends Black Friday hours amid protest

No one forces these employees to get in their cars and drive to work, If they they decide not to go when scheduled then they need to be prepared for the consiquences for the decision they are making.

If you are in agreement with the people who think they should not be asked to work on a holiday then simply don't shop at that business, whats the big deal?

• Like 2
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.....What has this world come to? The Holidays are so comercialized that we are celebrating CHRISTMAS before THANKSGIVING . I'm talking about in the Business world. We d

Target defends Black Friday hours amid protest   Now I read this story and a few thoughts come to mind:   * How is 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving "too early" of a start time to workers who want to spend

With the unemployment rate the way it is I bet alot of people would love the opportunity to work any hours. Holiday or not.

I never minded working the holidays. Luckily, at both of my retail jobs, the supervisors divided us into short 4 hour shifts. So, more people worked, but we all had plenty of time to spend with our families.

As a consumer, I'm more than happy that some places are open on holidays. Medical and personal emergencies happen and things are needed last minute. This year, someone in my family had a last-minute freak-out over feminine products and, wouldn't you know, Wal-Greens right down the street was open!

JLLSU,

When the petitioner about whom this topic is in response to starts with "all americans should be able to...", the insinuation is that this is an entitlement or right. The liberal left is big on the entitlement mentality.

So you're complaining about your perception of a statement. As Jerry has pointed out, no one has advocated the government regulating holiday hours at private retailers. No one. What people, myself included, were taking offense to is when several posters insinuated that employees should keep their mouths shut and just be happy they have a job. I feel that people have every right in the world to voice their displeasure and, as Jetman pointed out, they also have to deal with the consequences if they turn their words into action. When I worked in a control center atmosphere for a telecom company, we were staffed 24/7/365. I bitched and moaned about every holiday I had to spend in the office...doesn't mean I didn't do my job and do it well, but I sure as hell didn't like working holidays. This would be especially true if I were working in a non-essential position like retail.

mrnn

• Like 1

The banks close voluntarily and are not forced to close by the government.

Most of the time, the banks are closed because the stock markets are closed. I'm not sure if they can legally operate on such days, or if they could, if it's fiscally feasible with the markets closed.

(Jefferson Davis Day used to be an optional bank holiday in Alabama, I believe, and perhaps in other states, but other than that, most banks only close on or around the major holidays.)

As an aside, in my late teens and early 20s, I worked as a bank teller during the summers. The bank I worked at had several branches that stayed open until 8 p.m. six days a week (that's having at least one live person staffing the drive-thru after 5 p.m.). Can you find service like that around here? I bank with a regional bank and I don't think any branches are open past 6.

JLLSU,

When the petitioner about whom this topic is in response to starts with "all americans should be able to...", the insinuation is that this is an entitlement or right. The liberal left is big on the entitlement mentality.

They are petitioning Target, not the government.

The petition is aimed directly at Target.

Wouldn't it be nice if we would all strive for a more perfect world, rather than find justification for hardship and strife.

Life is tough enough without reveling in it. If it wasn't open you would just do what you did years ago, make a list check it twice and deal with going without until the next day.

Just like Valentines it is a made up retail holiday, if they were closed until Monday you would mob them to get get everything you needed on Monday.

Jetasmom,

We have several national holidays. On none of them, does the government dictate whether a private business should close or not.

Are you suggesting the government force businesses to shut down?

No one had a problem for decades upon decades when the government forced PRIVATE businesses to close on a Christian recognized sabbath day because their product sales were banned on that day. That government intervention was just fine and dandy, although it dictated business hours to private establishments. Up until the vote recently alcohol sales on sunday, a christian sabbath day, were dictated by our government. I guess it's all about what the day is about, what is to be accomplished, and who benefits.

• Like 3

No one had a problem for decades upon decades when the government forced PRIVATE businesses to close on a Christian recognized sabbath day because their product sales were banned on that day. That government intervention was just fine and dandy, although it dictated business hours to private establishments. Up until the vote recently alcohol sales on sunday, a christian sabbath day, were dictated by our government. I guess it's all about what the day is about, what is to be accomplished, and who benefits.

Thank you.

Who's "no one"?

• Like 1