Paulding.com

Target defends Black Friday hours amid protest

Just curious, how many of you who are dogging these employees have, at one time or another, openly complimented Chik-Fil-A for their strong values, values that are on full display when they choose to forfeit revenues and close on Sundays? I won't get into who said what, when, but I know that I've heard that from a lot of people both on and off this board...how Chik-Fil-A, with values like that, must just be a fantastic place to work, blah, blah, blah.

Point being, Target, Sears, etc. are the antithesis of a Chik-Fil-A and yet when employees say Target is heartless we tell them to get a life? Really?

mrnn

+ 1 to counter the negative you were given.

Most people don't appreciate their hypocrisy pointed out to them.

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.....What has this world come to? The Holidays are so comercialized that we are celebrating CHRISTMAS before THANKSGIVING . I'm talking about in the Business world. We d

Target defends Black Friday hours amid protest   Now I read this story and a few thoughts come to mind:   * How is 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving "too early" of a start time to workers who want to spend

With the unemployment rate the way it is I bet alot of people would love the opportunity to work any hours. Holiday or not.

If you don't want to work Sundays go work at Chik-Fil-A or a liquor store. People make their career choices - they aren't 'made' to work those types of jobs that are often open on holidays.

I do like those businesses that will allow their Jewish employees to work on Christmas where there is a need. Maybe they should only let Muslims work on Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

Just curious, how many of you who are dogging these employees have, at one time or another, openly complimented Chik-Fil-A for their strong values, values that are on full display when they choose to forfeit revenues and close on Sundays? I won't get into who said what, when, but I know that I've heard that from a lot of people both on and off this board...how Chik-Fil-A, with values like that, must just be a fantastic place to work, blah, blah, blah.

Point being, Target, Sears, etc. are the antithesis of a Chik-Fil-A and yet when employees say Target is heartless we tell them to get a life? Really?

mrnn

I don't find Target to be the "antithesis" of Chick-fil-a. They are different companies, independently owned and operated. They are free to operate their companies as they see fit, and employees are free to choose the company that they want to work for. Some companies pay more than others, some companies have better benefits than others, and some companies have better hours than others. I have worked hell hours, as has probably everyone here. That doesn't mean that we didn't appreciate our jobs or enjoy doing what we do. If they don't like it, they can go work for whomever they please. Labor is a commodity just as is corn or oil. The reward is set by the market and by private agreement, as it should be. That's what freedom is all about, and freedom to choose is not hypocritical. What's hypocritical is telling Boeing that they can't open a plant in South Carolina.

• Like 1

mrnn

this is exactly the reason why I refuse to spend money at chick fil a.

this is exactly the reason why I refuse to spend money at chick fil a.

I don't like their reasoning, but I can always appreciate a business who, from time to time, manages to put their values ahead of profits. If our banking industry had taken the same approach over the last decade, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

mrnn

• Like 3

People have to work on Thanksgiving, my hubby is a po po and he will go to work on his regular shift, then get a furlough day for it... Wow blessings to us... The doctors, nurses, ems, firefighters all have to work... so there are always people working on holidays, sadly the world does not shut down... I would just love for him to just have to work and not loose a days pay so close to Christmas, but we all do what we have to do. At least the workers at the stores are actually getting paid for their work, that is a blessing.

I work with a guy that works at Target part time. He is goes in Thanksgiving nite at 11. He is thrilled. He gets time and a half. And he has no problem cause he has all day off with his family til then. And I dont hear anyone complaining about the restaurants and gas stations open. Not everyone gets Thanksgiving off.

If I were the CEO of Target, I'd fire the employee complaining and circulating the petition. I've worked plenty of holidays in my life. We just scheduled the holiday meal around my work schedule. So this crybaby has to be at work at 11:00pm on Thanksgiving. Big deal. He had all day with his family to eat Turkey and watch football. I'm sick and tired of those who think they should be able to dictate to their employers what their work schedule should be. I'm also sick and tired of those who think the government should create more regulations in the private industry to allow employees the day off on holidays. Grow the heck up.

• Like 3

I wonder if the economy were much better, and the stores did this, would those of you who go on and on about thankful for a job yadda, yadda. Feel the same way?

I would. I've always have and have always been blessed to have a door open for me when one closed. I have had to work holidays and vacations when EVERYONE else was off. I didn't always enjoy working, but acknowledged the fact that the work had to be done. So have many others. So yes, I would THANKful.

mrnn

I have never understood why people actually get mad about Chic fil A , their values and being closed on Sunday. It's their right to vote with their feet and not eat there but it's just so silly to get upset about someone else having personal convictions and sticking by them(even when they could literally make millions).
  • Like 2

This topic is becoming confusing to me. (Not that that is hard to do)

During a job interview, I have never asked if I could take all holidays off including Washington's Birthday, MLK day, Christmas Day, Veteran's day, Thanksgiving Day, Columbus day, etc., etc., etc. Note: These are not all religious holidays, but are federally recognized holidays. List of Federal Holidays

If any of these holidays were that important to me, I would do the research before applying. If the holiday is not observed, I might attempt to take a vacation day during that period. Or I would just suck it up.

It just sounds like folks grumbling about something they feel entitled to even though they knew, or at least, could have found out, when they began their employment there. Just another reason to complain.

As someone has already pointed out, these businesses are open because there are enough people to maybe provide a profit. Heck, if I need some gravy, I promise I will be appreciative and THANKful to a store that is open. I might just run out to an open store, just to get their opinion and see if they are truly miserable being at work.

• Like 2

Good point. I have to wonder if those supporting this guy do any business on thanksgiving day, such as going to the grocery store or the gas station. If so, they are responsible for the demand which keeps these businesses open on thanksgiving.

I support this person (in spirit) and no... I nor anyone in my family patronize any business on Thanksgiving. Specifically because I think they should be closed.

I try to keep my hypocrisy to a minimum.

:drinks:

While we are at it, let's give all the retail employees off:

Christmas Eve

Christmas Day

New Year's Day

Valentine's Day

St. Patrick's Day

Mother's Day

Father's Day

July 4th

Labor Day

Halloween

And let's not forget Veteren's Day!

All those that are complaining about the black friday shoppers, let's see how that works out for you over 4th of July weekend when you need another pack of hotdogs or buns and the grocery store is closed.

The fact is, when you work retail, you know what you are signing up for.

I was okay with it for a long time, and when I quite being okay with it, I moved on.

I used to do interviews with potential employees and I would ALWAYS ask, "Are you prepared to work EVERY saturday and sunday? Are you prepared to be here on Thanksgiving day? Are you prepared to work all day on Christmas Eve? Are you prepared to be here over 4th of July weekend when all your buddies are headed to the lake or to cook outs?"

Yeah, it can royally suck at times, but it's an honest living. I did it for 22 years, raised a family and got my daughter started in college.

You have a choice whether or not you shop on black friday and retail workers can decide to look for a job elsewhere. It's the nature of the business.

The only thing that ever REALLY got under my skin was how the BIG blue grocer I worked for would allow the Jewish employees in the Jewish departments to have EVERY Sunday off for religious reasons.

(yes, some of the stores in the city have Jewish meat and bakery departments.)

That would have never flown with any other religion.

Edited by Blondiega1

Well then lets have all stores open everyday. Xmas, Sunday and every holiday.

I just don't like them causing more and more people to work on Holidays.

Then a holiday is no longer a holiday and the meaning of it goes commercial.

That my thoughts on this and for you that don't agree.... well I hope you have to work on holidays or volunteer for those that would rather be off with family.

• Like 1

BlondieGal, I think you meant Friday sunset to Saturday sunset. Jews don't observe anything on Sunday ;) .

I always thought it was amusing how so many catholics and protestants will refuse to work on Sunday but don't hesitate to fill up the WalMart and various and sundry restaurants as soon as they rush from the church house.

Again, hypocrisy abounds.

Corporate interests have taken T Day and Christmas. Faith and family have been replaced with the grab for money and power.

The stores have the right to open and the employees have a right to complain and even circulate petitions hoping to convince the company to do better.

Pass the ham.

• Like 1

There was a time when businesses were closed on Thanksgiving. Over the decades they gradually opened so people could buy their big tvs earlier. We just couldn't wait until Friday morning, we couldn't share time with family, we had to go out and spend spend spend. Yes people do know what they are getting themselves into when they take a retail job. Doesn't mean people don't want to be with their loved ones on Thanksgiving. Yeah they can quit, those in retail, restaurant businesses and the like, that's a great attitude. Funny how Thanksgiving has such strong Christian values, but when someone wants to spend that day with their family and have us buy our flat screens on the other 6 days of the week, that person is a loser. Mark my words, within the next few years our malls and retails stores will be open all day for Christmas, so you can buy your flat screens!

Oh and to compare the necessity of policeman,fireman,emt's and other emergency workers working on holidays to employees available to ring up sales for flat screens and iphones is absurd.

My comment: "I wonder what this guy (and others) would think if all cops, fireman and other emergency personnel wanted to have Thanksgiving off? Do you think they'd be fine with all those Americans taking the day off?"

I wasn't belittling the roles of those important people. I was just countering the Target guy's argument that "All Americans should be able to break bread with loved ones and get a good night's rest on Thanksgiving." I doubt you'd hear that kind of attitude from most cops, firemen and emergency personnel. They know the importance of their jobs and the importance of protecting their neighbors.

But I'll go one step further and address what you said. Emergency workers are important, sure, but that doesn't mean that Target employees are less so. I'm sure many of them are earning money to feed, clothe and support their families, just like emergency workers are. And the stores need good workers to help them stay in business.

While we are at it, let's give all the retail employees off:

Christmas Eve

Christmas Day

New Year's Day

Valentine's Day

St. Patrick's Day

Mother's Day

Father's Day

July 4th

Labor Day

Halloween

And let's not forget Veteren's Day!

All those that are complaining about the black friday shoppers, let's see how that works out for you over 4th of July weekend when you need another pack of hotdogs or buns and the grocery store is closed.

The fact is, when you work retail, you know what you are signing up for.

I was okay with it for a long time, and when I quite being okay with it, I moved on.

I used to do interviews with potential employees and I would ALWAYS ask, "Are you prepared to work EVERY saturday and sunday? Are you prepared to be here on Thanksgiving day? Are you prepared to work all day on Christmas Eve? Are you prepared to be here over 4th of July weekend when all your buddies are headed to the lake or to cook outs?"

Yeah, it can royally suck at times, but it's an honest living. I did it for 22 years, raised a family and got my daughter started in college.

You have a choice whether or not you shop on black friday and retail workers can decide to look for a job elsewhere. It's the nature of the business.

The only thing that ever REALLY got under my skin was how the BIG blue grocer I worked for would allow the Jewish employees in the Jewish departments to have EVERY Sunday off for religious reasons.

(yes, some of the stores in the city have Jewish meat and bakery departments.)

That would have never flown with any other religion.

Doesn't seem like it's Black Friday shoppers that's the complaint. It's the retail companies changing it to Black Thursday. If there's a day anywhere on the calendar that someone in retail expects to work I'm sure it's the Friday after Thanksgiving. I personally don't have a problem with black Friday shoppers and wouldn't want the government to regulate employers to give their employees that day off. I would however like to see companies refrain from the crazy hours and maybe allow more family time. This country likes to run it's mouth about family values, quality time,and morals but when it comes to the all mighty dollar, it's pushed aside. It worked in the past when we all waited until early early Friday morning for the sales. That's their choice, as it is mine to visit a business on Thanksgiving, which I choose not too. Yes it's true, our policemen, firemen, doctors, nurses and other workers have to work on that day. The jobs that retail workers hold are important in that they feed a family, but the function of the job, selling us an IPhone or TV can wait till Friday. I'm in the minority on this one but so be it.

I was confused as well as to why the big blue store would give Jewish employees every Sunday off. The sabbath begins Friday at sunset.

• Like 1

Doesn't seem like it's Black Friday shoppers that's the complaint. It's the retail companies changing it to Black Thursday. If there's a day anywhere on the calendar that someone in retail expects to work I'm sure it's the Friday after Thanksgiving. I personally don't have a problem with black Friday shoppers and wouldn't want the government to regulate employers to give their employees that day off. I would however like to see companies refrain from the crazy hours and maybe allow more family time. This country likes to run it's mouth about family values, quality time,and morals but when it comes to the all mighty dollar, it's pushed aside. It worked in the past when we all waited until early early Friday morning for the sales. That's their choice, as it is mine to visit a business on Thanksgiving, which I choose not too. Yes it's true, our policemen, firemen, doctors, nurses and other workers have to work on that day. The jobs that retail workers hold are important in that they feed a family, but the function of the job, selling us an IPhone or TV can wait till Friday. I'm in the minority on this one but so be it.

I was confused as well as to why the big blue store would give Jewish employees every Sunday off. The sabbath begins Friday at sunset.

I came across this. Reasons to skip "Black Friday."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-reasons-skip-black-friday-164603988.html

I think maybe the poster about the Jewish employees was a mistype.

BlondieGal, I think you meant Friday sunset to Saturday sunset. Jews don't observe anything on Sunday ;) .

Mistake admitted. I had the day wrong. :blush:

Yep.. I had the day wrong. Thanks RhondaW for correcting me.

I just never understood why it was okay for the Jewish worker's to have EVERY Saturday off, but a devote Christian would have never been allowed EVERY Sunday off.

I'm not a church goer so it was no sweat off my back, just seemed like a double standard.

Mistake admitted. I had the day wrong. :blush:

Yep.. I had the day wrong. Thanks RhondaW for correcting me.

I just never understood why it was okay for the Jewish worker's to have EVERY Saturday off, but a devote Christian would have never been allowed EVERY Sunday off.

I'm not a church goer so it was no sweat off my back, just seemed like a double standard.

;)

Since when is Black Friday a Thursday?

Willing to bet that anyone that says the BF hours are no big deal has never worked retail a day in their lives. The issue is at some point these folks will have to work a normal shift again, meaning they will go about 4-5 hours between their shifts...and dont' give me the LEO and Dr's do it BS, they don't get paid like either one of those folks do

and dont' give me the LEO and Dr's do it BS, they don't get paid like either one of those folks do

How about giving you the BS about the hospital support staff? Like the food service and EVS folks who have to work these long holiday shifts where average pay is in the under $10 range? Because the Doctors nor Nurses sure as hell don't change bedsheets, mop pee off the floors,or prep the food stuffs which, in a Hospital, is a 24 hour job.

If you don't like rampant capitalistic consumerism then don't participate.

GB,

How would you propose "fixing" the problem. Should the government step in and force the businesses to close?

A national holiday should be observed for all "non essential" jobs. The banks and post office seems to have no problem closing. In the old days, the airlines didn't fly on christmas either.

Willing to bet that anyone that says the BF hours are no big deal has never worked retail a day in their lives. The issue is at some point these folks will have to work a normal shift again, meaning they will go about 4-5 hours between their shifts...and dont' give me the LEO and Dr's do it BS, they don't get paid like either one of those folks do

Oh come on Blue. There are a lot of industries with bad hours. I have literally worked WEEKS straight with only 4-5 hours off per day and I'm nothing special. It has happened in every job I've had since High School. People everywhere have deadlines that they have to meet, and sometimes that means overtime. Sometimes that means a lot of overtime, so I'm not boo hooing for these folks who have to work one near all-nighter and overtime for the next three weeks. When I worked in the trade show industry, I AVERAGED 72 hour weeks one year and 66 the next. Some weeks were well over 100 hours. That's the the entire year, and I was on salary. I think it worked out to about $6 per hour. It's part of the job. They will live to bitch another day, and with some extra money in their pocket to boot.

Tell my niece's husband that he doesn't work long hours as a paramedic who picks up extra shifts at the hospital or in other jurisdictions when he can. If you want to work 40 hours a week, get a job at the bank.

GB,

How would you propose "fixing" the problem. Should the government step in and force the businesses to close?

How would you propose fixing the problem? Your question is nothing more than baiting a response. Were it not for government intervention, companies would still demand 60 hours a week from the employees with no breaks or other protections.

No one is proposing more government regulation, although you believe anyone who questions a corporate policy wants government to step in.

There are three options. Government could step in, but that is not what anyone is wanting, though society may decide that it does want that later on. Majority rule, and all. Second, Corporations could have fewer regulations placed on it and companies could cut labor costs to pennies a day, force employees to work 60 hours a week with no breaks, and increase profits 100 fold. Remember the Robber Barrons before there were labor laws?

The last option is the employees could unionize and force collective bargaining with the companies. Right now the employees have the right to complain and companies can or cannot listen, and then the employees can unionize or do nothing.

So which option do you prefer?

Oh come on Blue. There are a lot of industries with bad hours. I have literally worked WEEKS straight with only 4-5 hours off per day and I'm nothing special. It has happened in every job I've had since High School. People everywhere have deadlines that they have to meet, and sometimes that means overtime. Sometimes that means a lot of overtime, so I'm not boo hooing for these folks who have to work one near all-nighter and overtime for the next three weeks. When I worked in the trade show industry, I AVERAGED 72 hour weeks one year and 66 the next. Some weeks were well over 100 hours. That's the the entire year, and I was on salary. I think it worked out to about $6 per hour. It's part of the job. They will live to bitch another day, and with some extra money in their pocket to boot.

Tell my niece's husband that he doesn't work long hours as a paramedic who picks up extra shifts at the hospital or in other jurisdictions when he can. If you want to work 40 hours a week, get a job at the bank.

Actually, many government jobs are 40 hours a week with the best benefits including pension payments that are much better than those in the private sector. Makes me wanna puke.

That was your option. It was your choice. Don't force your choices onto others.

The employees have the right to complain to their employers. They also have the right to collective bargaining.

Instead trying to make everyone like you (God knows why anyone would want to be like that because you sound so miserable and sour on life), let these employees address their grievances and let the process take its course. There are employee protections in place that will help them, though I'm sure you want to remove those so the companies can increase profits and abuse employees again. I am sure Child Labor Laws stand in the way of profits increasing four-fold in your book and is considered a real calamity by you.

I have!!

For 22 years!

Yes it stinks. But you know that going in!

If you don't like it, find another job.

I did!

Happily now working from home full time!

• Like 1

ST,

I don't see it as a problem. It is the nature of the retail beast. The employees knew the conditions when they went in. If they don't like it, they can seek employment elsewhere. It's that simple.

Same can be said for anybody who bitches about their job, which I'm sure most of us are guilty of.

A national holiday should be observed for all "non essential" jobs. The banks and post office seems to have no problem closing. In the old days, the airlines didn't fly on christmas either.

Jetasmom,

We have several national holidays. On none of them, does the government dictate whether a private business should close or not.

Are you suggesting the government force businesses to shut down?

There are those that consider the postal service "private", the gov restricts their hours.

Banks are all about profits, however they are not open more than a few hours a day, and definitely not on a recognized holiday. The gov does not control their hours, so are they concerned for their employees well being?

Jetasmom,

The post office is not private.

The banks close voluntarily and are not forced to close by the government.

A. The point is if banks can close for every holiday (and still be in business), then other private companies can do the same.

B. Again, i say there are those that would consider the post office private. --- the postal service has several non-governmental powers under USC Title 39, Section 401, which include : The power to sue (and be sued) under its own name; The power to adopt, amend and repeal its own regulations; The power to "enter into and perform contracts, execute instruments, and determine the character of, and necessity for, its expenditures"; The power to buy, sell and lease private property; and, the power to build, operate, lease and maintain buildings and facilities.

All of which are functions of a private business and not government. The major exception is they are exempt from paying federal taxes, they can borrow money at discounted rates, and can condemn and acquire private property under governmental rights of eminent domain.

JLLSU,

Yes, we all complain about our jobs. Noone is saying they have an issue with people complaining about having to work over a holiday. The issue I have, is when people insinuate that the government should step in and force the businesses to close down.

Again, who has advocated that?