Paulding.com

Target defends Black Friday hours amid protest

Now I read this story and a few thoughts come to mind:

* How is 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving "too early" of a start time to workers who want to spend Thanksgiving with their families?

* Why does this Target employee think that "All Americans should be able to break bread with loved ones and get a good night's rest on Thanksgiving"?

To me, if you can't handle working on holidays, you either need to find a job where you're not going to work on holidays, or not work at all.

I wonder what this guy (and others) would think if all cops, fireman and other emergency personnel wanted to have Thanksgiving off? Do you think they'd be fine with all those Americans taking the day off?

• Like 6
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.....What has this world come to? The Holidays are so comercialized that we are celebrating CHRISTMAS before THANKSGIVING . I'm talking about in the Business world. We d

Target defends Black Friday hours amid protest   Now I read this story and a few thoughts come to mind:   * How is 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving "too early" of a start time to workers who want to spend

With the unemployment rate the way it is I bet alot of people would love the opportunity to work any hours. Holiday or not.

My stepmom is a Store MGR with SEARS up in Indiana, she has to be at work at 8PM on Thanksgiving. Not complaining just comes with the job.Thing I think that stinks is that I guess a lot of the stores/malls up there and elsewhere are having people work in shifts starting at 9PM. Work 6 go home for 2 back for 6 home for 2 back for 6 or somewhere along those lines. To me that would get more tiring than working straight through.

Now I read this story and a few thoughts come to mind:

* How is 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving "too early" of a start time to workers who want to spend Thanksgiving with their families?

* Why does this Target employee think that "All Americans should be able to break bread with loved ones and get a good night's rest on Thanksgiving"?

To me, if you can't handle working on holidays, you either need to find a job where you're not going to work on holidays, or not work at all.

I wonder what this guy (and others) would think if all cops, fireman and other emergency personnel wanted to have Thanksgiving off? Do you think they'd be fine with all those Americans taking the day off?

Lets see human LIFE. Almighty dollar.

Did you really just make that comparison??? SMH

My hubby will work Thanksgiving night, cause he is in law enforcement, but how far does black Friday want to go?

I will not be getting out, but all should have time to give thanks and have a meal with the family.....

Thank your DH for being there. And, like you I will not be encouraging this. Never have, never will.
  • Like 3

With the unemployment rate the way it is I bet alot of people would love the opportunity to work any hours. Holiday or not.

Damn straight. The protesters can go and sit on their arses and bitch elsewhere.

• Like 1

Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.....What has this world come to? The Holidays are so comercialized that we are celebrating CHRISTMAS before THANKSGIVING . I'm talking about in the Business world. We don't get thru summer till they are putting out Halloween stuff, We don't get thru Halloween til they are putting out THANKSGIVING stuff. The same with CHRISTMAS, Valentines, Easter etc. It's all about the MIGHTY DOLLAR and who can make the most money store wise. Look at CHICKFLA they are closed on SUNDAY's and HOLIDAYS. GOD has blessed them beyond measure. The world needs to put JESUS IN THEIR HEARTS instead of money in their pockets. God will bless them ,WOW WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD THIS WOULD BE...

• Like 7

If you don't like, don't buy it. The reason this is happening is because somebody somewhere is going to be there. So, why not.

And, quite frankly, there are alot of teenagers and young 20s that don't mind working these hours - they want out of the house anyway. I agree the older folks may not like it, but it is what it is. If you work retail this time of year - this is what you get.

Again - you don't like it - don't go. When it's not profitable to be open, then they won't open.

• Like 3

But there are also lots of folks that will not work retail. I guess they think they are too good to work retail??? I have done it all--office, banking, retail, manufacturing, etc. You do what you have to do to make a living--or at least I did.

• Like 3

I did 22 years in retail.

Working holidays sucks, but it's part of the gig.

You know that going in.

I thought it was "fun" when I was young, the early hours, long days, busy as all get out, but the older I got, the more I didn't want to work weekends and holidays, but I did it.

Grumbled about it, but I did it.

Then when my body gave out on me I got out.

Technically, I still work retail as I'm contracted with a major drug store retailer, but now I work for myself. So I get to choose what I'm working.

I'll be manning the phones friday and doing live chats for those that are shopping on line from this major drug store retailer, but I start when I wanted to, not when I was told I had to.

Edited by Blondiega1
  • Like 1

Blondie worked 22 years with Kroger. For 22 years she was at work, usually at 6 am or earlier on Thanksgiving day. Working until 1 pm or later.

Target employees can quit their bitching. They made the choice to work there.

• Like 2

I would totally go shopping on Thanksgiving if I felt like it. You are only with your family for so long then you are ready to go do something. Every other year I go to Indiana - we hang out until about 4 pm and then we all want to go to a movie or bowling.

When we are here on our off year we are just going to Grandmas and then leave at 4 and then I would rather go shopping or something.

If you dont like it find another job IMO- Which is why I would never be a server or work retail. I dont want to work weekends or holidays.

[quote name='mathetes' timestamp='1322055682' post='355911 marxist economy where the government provides the jobs and sets the wages (which some of our more left leaning people seem to prefer), is that we have the freedom to seek other employers for employment where the terms of employment are better.

Don't be that guy

I'm kind of getting tired of people complaining about the poor workers who have to go in Thanksgiving night. They have the WHOLE day to spend with their family. The only store I know that is open all day Thanksgiving is K-mart and they have been doing that for years. Haven't heard any complaints about them. Well, not in regards to being open on Thanksgiving anyway :).

• Like 1

*sigh* there is alway someone out there that has to :cray: :cray: :cray: about something!!! IF they dont like it then QUIT!!! There is many others that needs a job, and is willing to work it!

He's probably one of those lazy a**es I have been starting to complaining about who has a job, but doesn't want to do the work for a paycheck yet us hardworkers (like my fellow Mr Moms) are still at home and pushing the grindstone looking HARD for work to no avail. I'm just going to put I'm Lazy in bold black letters on my resume. Bet I'll get a call that day. Seems in my eyes thats the companies are content hiring complaining lazy people. HE SHOULD BE LUCKY HE HAS A JOB.

Edited by janko9
  • Like 1

If you work for retail or customer service industries you work a lot of holidays and weekends. That's a choice when you decide that as a career path.

I used to work for a large tire manufacturer and we were a 24 x 7 operation that allowed Thanksgiving day off. However, we had to go to work at the start of our shift at 11 PM Thursday night for 3rd shift. It comes with the territory.

But people will complain about anything. While working 3rd shift we'd have people complain about having to work an extra hour in the Fall when the time changed. Some of these same people would complain in the Spring when they didn't get all of their hours because of the time change.

• Like 1

There was a time when businesses were closed on Thanksgiving. Over the decades they gradually opened so people could buy their big tvs earlier. We just couldn't wait until Friday morning, we couldn't share time with family, we had to go out and spend spend spend. Yes people do know what they are getting themselves into when they take a retail job. Doesn't mean people don't want to be with their loved ones on Thanksgiving. Yeah they can quit, those in retail, restaurant businesses and the like, that's a great attitude. Funny how Thanksgiving has such strong Christian values, but when someone wants to spend that day with their family and have us buy our flat screens on the other 6 days of the week, that person is a loser. Mark my words, within the next few years our malls and retails stores will be open all day for Christmas, so you can buy your flat screens!

Oh and to compare the necessity of policeman,fireman,emt's and other emergency workers working on holidays to employees available to ring up sales for flat screens and iphones is absurd.

• Like 5

There was a time when businesses were closed on Thanksgiving. Over the decades they gradually opened so people could buy their big tvs earlier. We just couldn't wait until Friday morning, we couldn't share time with family, we had to go out and spend spend spend. Yes people do know what they are getting themselves into when they take a retail job. Doesn't mean people don't want to be with their loved ones on Thanksgiving. Yeah they can quit, those in retail, restaurant businesses and the like, that's a great attitude. Funny how Thanksgiving has such strong Christian values, but when someone wants to spend that day with their family and have us buy our flat screens on the other 6 days of the week, that person is a loser. Mark my words, within the next few years our malls and retails stores will be open all day for Christmas, so you can buy your flat screens!

Oh and to compare the necessity of policeman,fireman,emt's and other emergency workers working on holidays to employees available to ring up sales for flat screens and iphones is absurd.

The saddest part to me is that a segment of our society wants these people to be at work because they think it's "fun" and they DON'T have to work that day.

• Like 1

WOW! I remember when DH was in the reserves. He would work 12 straight days a month (every month) without a day off. It was even harder on him because he worked midck, but his reserve days were day ck. He was tired but he never complained about it.

As for me I like set hours and weekends off. So i work Admin jobs.

They choose it they can work it. :good:

There is at least one aspect of most every job that just sucks. Most of us have pulled multiple all-nighters for one reason or another. These crybabies need to put on their big girl panties, quit their bitchin', and and go to work like everyone else.

• Like 2

Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.....What has this world come to? The Holidays are so comercialized that we are celebrating CHRISTMAS before THANKSGIVING . I'm talking about in the Business world. We don't get thru summer till they are putting out Halloween stuff, We don't get thru Halloween til they are putting out THANKSGIVING stuff. The same with CHRISTMAS, Valentines, Easter etc. It's all about the MIGHTY DOLLAR and who can make the most money store wise. Look at CHICKFLA they are closed on SUNDAY's and HOLIDAYS. GOD has blessed them beyond measure. The world needs to put JESUS IN THEIR HEARTS instead of money in their pockets. God will bless them ,WOW WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD THIS WOULD BE...

Jesus likes a bargain. Just look at the black Friday ad for the Family Christian store.

Jesus likes a bargain. Just look at the black Friday ad for the Family Christian store.

"Funny how Thanksgiving has such strong Christian values," Referenced strong Christian values, as the thanking of the Christian God, and closeness of family, etc etc. That in contrast to the requirement of people to work that day selling tvs so those same people who hold those values can shop. Never said it was a Christian holiday, although there are origins from that religion, it certainly is an American holiday with traditions of numerous religions, customs and families. Reading comprehension. I liken it to the people who want to keep Sunday a holy day, yet hit the buffet and wally world as soon as service ends, which requires people to be there to keep a business open.

• Like 1

WOW! I remember when DH was in the reserves. He would work 12 straight days a month (every month) without a day off. It was even harder on him because he worked midck, but his reserve days were day ck. He was tired but he never complained about it.

As for me I like set hours and weekends off. So i work Admin jobs.

They choose it they can work it. :good:

Again we are comparing our military who are a necessity to defend our country to someone at a big box store who is there because we choose that we want to go buy a flat screen on the Thanksgiving holiday instead of waiting 24 hours.

• Like 1

Amen! Amen! Amen!

Thanksgiving is the forgotten holiday. Could that be whats wrong with America? We need to pause and remember ALL the things we have to be thankful for.

A lot of retail stores and restaurants were closed on Thanksgiving because there was no business coming in on that day. Nothing to do with the Holiday. Plenty of businesses are open on Thanksgiving. Now with the economy the way it is, retailers want that extra business, no matter how small and the business of those who want to get an extra jump on the shopping season. We all don't live in a Norman Rockwell painting...

If you are going to quote scripture...please quote it CORRECTLY and don't leave stuff out!

1 Timothy 6 vs 10 King James Version

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

• Like 3

A lot of retail stores and restaurants were closed on Thanksgiving because there was no business coming in on that day. Nothing to do with the Holiday. Plenty of businesses are open on Thanksgiving. Now with the economy the way it is, retailers want that extra business, no matter how small and the business of those who want to get an extra jump on the shopping season. We all don't live in a Norman Rockwell painting...

Really? In this economy there is more business with unemployment being as high as it is right now and foreclosures where they are, inflation. So back decades ago when unemployment was low, inflation was down, you're saying that there was just no demand for holiday business? We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Holiday shopping has always been in demand around this time of year and I'm sure if the stores had been open 30 years ago people would have shopped, especially since financially times were better. Hell I remember my family in the 70's shopping like mad on black Friday, it's no new idea, the demand was always there. Businesses just stayed closed to capitalize on black Friday and I would hope to allow families to be together. No we don't live in a Norman Rockwell painting, we just live in a time where we just need to get the dollar faster and sooner.

• Like 1

Just curious, how many of you who are dogging these employees have, at one time or another, openly complimented Chik-Fil-A for their strong values, values that are on full display when they choose to forfeit revenues and close on Sundays? I won't get into who said what, when, but I know that I've heard that from a lot of people both on and off this board...how Chik-Fil-A, with values like that, must just be a fantastic place to work, blah, blah, blah.

Point being, Target, Sears, etc. are the antithesis of a Chik-Fil-A and yet when employees say Target is heartless we tell them to get a life? Really?

mrnn

• Like 1