Paulding.com

Cornbread dressing

I always loved the cornbread dressing my mom made unfortunately she is no longer with us and I don't have her recipe. If all of you wonderful cooks would share your recipe I would be so thankful. again she always made it pretty moist (soft) not dry! Thank you!

I shared a recipe in this thread last night...cornbread dressing like my Grandma made. It's never dry. The trick is getting enough broth in your batter before you bake it. It looks like it will be too thin before it's baked, but it should look like a thick cake batter. Then it will bake up moist, not dry!

Bill’s Cornbread Dressing

(don’t even think about calling it stuffing)

1st day

Cornbread

1 1/3 cups milk

2 cups cornmeal mix

¼ cup oil

1 tablespoon sugar

Best to use a 12” cast iron skillet but any size cast iron skillet is necessary. Pre-heat oven to 450, pour oil in skillet and heat in oven for about 10 minutes. Mix milk, sugar and cornmeal mix. May need more milk, you want it a little soupy not stiff. Take skillet from oven and pour a little oil in mix and stir. Pour mix in skillet on top of the remaining oil. Cook for about 20 minutes until brown.

Crumble cornbread and leave it out overnight. Take 5 slices of white bread and prop them up and leave them out overnight to get stale. Don’t use anything but WHITE bread. Don’t use wheat, pumpernickel, etc.

2nd day

Dressing

Take stale crumbled cornbread and crumble the white bread and mix with cornbread. Add 2 +/- cups diced onions and 2 +/- cups celery to mix after sautéing in a little butter. Use 2+ cans chicken broth to make the mix a little soupy. Add sage to taste. Start with 1 teaspoon and add a little at a time. Sage is the key to the whole thing. The dressing flavor will get stronger after leaving it overnight in the refrigerator. Bake in a 9x12 or 10 x14 baking dish at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Refrigerate.

3rd day

Re-heat in oven covered with aluminum foil at 300 until hot. The sage and onions will get stronger after sitting overnight. Eat it with turkey/chicken. Don’t stuff it in anything but your mouth.

1st day

Cornbread

1 1/3 cups milk

2 cups cornmeal mix

¼ cup oil

1 tablespoon sugar

Best to use a 12” cast iron skillet but any size cast iron skillet is necessary. Pre-heat oven to 450, pour oil in skillet and heat in oven for about 10 minutes. Mix milk, sugar and cornmeal mix. May need more milk, you want it a little soupy not stiff. Take skillet from oven and pour a little oil in mix and stir. Pour mix in skillet on top of the remaining oil. Cook for about 20 minutes until brown.

Crumble cornbread and leave it out overnight. Take 5 slices of white bread and prop them up and leave them out overnight to get stale. Don’t use anything but WHITE bread. Don’t use wheat, pumpernickel, etc.

2nd day

Dressing

Take stale crumbled cornbread and crumble the white bread and mix with cornbread. Add 2 +/- cups diced onions and 2 +/- cups celery to mix after sautéing in a little butter. Use 2+ cans chicken broth to make the mix a little soupy. Add sage to taste. Start with 1 teaspoon and add a little at a time. Sage is the key to the whole thing. The dressing flavor will get stronger after leaving it overnight in the refrigerator. Bake in a 9x12 or 10 x14 baking dish at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Refrigerate.

3rd day

Re-heat in oven covered with aluminum foil at 300 until hot. The sage and onions will get stronger after sitting overnight. Eat it with turkey/chicken. Don’t stuff it in anything but your mouth.

That recipe sounds really good! And very close to my Grandma's recipe, too! Only, I add raw beaten eggs to the batter before baking.

• Like 1

1st day

Cornbread

1 1/3 cups milk

2 cups cornmeal mix

¼ cup oil

1 tablespoon sugar

2nd day

Dressing

3rd day

Sage is key, my mom always used it. I changed moms recipe quite a bit, I sauteed onions and celery in a skillet with sage flavored sausage. I also use herb flavored croutons instead of bread, hubby is a yankee so that converted him easily to cornbread dressing instead of stuffing.

• Like 2

I shared a recipe in this thread last night...cornbread dressing like my Grandma made. It's never dry. The trick is getting enough broth in your batter before you bake it. It looks like it will be too thin before it's baked, but it should look like a thick cake batter. Then it will bake up moist, not dry!

That's the trick! I don't have a recipe; just years of watching my grandmother. She never measured anything. Just have it almost soupy going in the oven...

That's the trick! I don't have a recipe; just years of watching my grandmother. She never measured anything. Just have it almost soupy going in the oven...

[/quot

My mom's is the best, she cooks a hen and uses broth from that. She says it is richer broth, she uses other store bought broth (we have a large family, two pans full of dressing). she also puts in poultry seasoning and eggs. She lets this sit over night in frig then mixes more broth in before cooking. Yes, it needs to be soupy, but we never cook it twice.

• Like 1

Paula Deen's recipe for dressing tastes identical to the one I grew up eating. Some people prefer to use biscuits instead of the white bread/crackers. Personally, I don't taste a difference, but I remember my grandmother using crackers sometimes.

Just do a search and her recipe is easy to find.

If you don't feel like making cornbread, Ingles in Dallas has it in the deli. DON"T buy it from the Ingles on Nebo because they have sweet cornbread and it won't be the same. (unless they changed the recipe)

sounds the same we use some toast, seasoned croutons in ours, we don't saute our onions or celery though. It is really good to also have broth and pour some over while it is backing if it looks like it is too dry. Oh and we put chicken meat in ours, and use that broth. We also use an egg.

I do it by sight!!

It requires a large pan of day-old cornbread, baked in a cast iron skillet. Crumble that in a large bowl.

To that, add...I dunno...3-4 cups of chicken broth made from boiling (and draining) the giblets, and cooked with chopped onion and celery--about 1/2 cup of each. Stir in about 6 pieces of white or wheat bread, torn into small pieces. The mixture should be a medium-thick, pasty quality.

To that, add about 4 beaten eggs and I dunno...maybe about a tablespoon of rubbed sage.

Mix well and taste for that perfect dressing taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.

Pour into a casserole dish and bake in a 350 degree oven until firm, about 30 minutes?

Sorry! :blush:

I always loved Grandma's dressing...and I watched her make it for YEARS...then when I was grown and making it on my own, I just did it from memory. I've never had an actual "recipe"...it's all from sight and smell and taste!

But it is AWESOME!

I use a recipe similar to this one. But I add sage until I like the taste and I also make homemade biscuits and crumble them with the corn bread. It makes it less grainy and moist.

No Fail Butter Biscuits

Ingredients:

1 stick of frozen butter

1 ¼ cup of milk

2 cups of flour

In a medium size bowl add flour, milk. Get a cheese shredder and shred frozen butter on top of flour and milk. Stir with a spoon or fork, until butter is mixed well. Set aside.

Cover countertop wax paper or foil. Pour about 2 cups of flour on countertop. (Be sure it is enough to keep mixture from sticking to countertop) knead dough until firm. I just keep folding dough over itself until it gets the consistency I want.

Get your biscuit pan (a flat pan that does not have a black bottom) and grease pan or spray with pam. Turn oven on 425 degrees to preheat.

Pat out to the dough to thickness you want and get a cup. I like to use old Crystal light containers as my biscuit cutter. (Dip cup in flour so the dough does not stick) Cut out your biscuits. Place your biscuits on the pan starting in the middle of the pan and lay them next to each other in a circle stacking ( have one in center put 4 or 5 around on in center then pout biscuits around those 4 or 5) until you get all the biscuits on the pan. The biscuits will be in small round lines all touching.

Cook on 425 degrees until light golden brown on top and bottom of biscuits. Take out of oven and cover with a towel. This will keep biscuits most.

Eat and enjoy.

Edited by orrby

I use a recipe similar to this one. But I add sage until I like the taste and I also make homemade biscuits and crumble them with the corn bread. It makes it less grainy and moist.

No Fail Butter Biscuits

Ingredients:

1 stick of frozen butter

1 ¼ cup of milk

2 cups of flour

In a medium size bowl add flour, milk. Get a cheese shredder and shred frozen butter on top of flour and milk. Stir with a spoon or fork, until butter is mixed well. Set aside.

Cover countertop wax paper or foil. Pour about 2 cups of flour on countertop. (Be sure it is enough to keep mixture from sticking to countertop) knead dough until firm. I just keep folding dough over itself until it gets the consistency I want.

Get your biscuit pan (a flat pan that does not have a black bottom) and grease pan or spray with pam. Turn oven on 425 degrees to preheat.

Pat out to the dough to thickness you want and get a cup. I like to use old Crystal light containers as my biscuit cutter. (Dip cup in flour so the dough does not stick) Cut out your biscuits. Place your biscuits on the pan starting in the middle of the pan and lay them next to each other in a circle stacking ( have one in center put 4 or 5 around on in center then pout biscuits around those 4 or 5) until you get all the biscuits on the pan. The biscuits will be in small round lines all touching.

Cook on 425 degrees until light golden brown on top and bottom of biscuits. Take out of oven and cover with a towel. This will keep biscuits most.

Eat and enjoy.

I agree about the sage! That's why I was unable to give an exact amount. I do it by taste!

My Grandma sometimes used biscuits, too, and I have, but if you don't have extra biscuits lying around, any bread works really (including croutons!), as long as it's not rye or pumpernickel or something like that.

The only seasonings I use in my dressing is Celery Seed or Flakes, Poultry Seasoning and Sage. I do not like a strong Sage flavor and I add them all to taste, no measuring here. I use dark meat chicken, white meat is dry and it has a different taste, too. One year I took out a muffin pan and sprayed it with the Pam spray, poured some dressing mix in them and my daughters loved it. They said it tasted better, because they didn't have to cook as long and they were not dry.

prepare to throw rocks.

stovetop.

commence!

If that's what you were raised on, that works. We all like our traditions. My cousin married a guy who was raised in a family that did not cook at all. He will not eat anything homemade. He brings a can of soup to his in-laws and heats it up for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I was blessed to have my Mom make her dressing at my house the year before she died, so I do it now every year for my family.

She never measured, so from that year I made a recipe, and my family has thaked me every year..

make good cornbread, with eggs, oil, buttermilk and a dash of salt.... I use Ms B's frozen biscuits....

Use only half as much biscuit as cornbread, like if I was using 14 cups of cornbread I would only use, 3- 12 cups of biscuits.. fo this I would use 2 large cans of cream of chicken soup, then broth from a hen I had boiled add until it was real soupy, keep stirring cause the broth soaks up...... add about 8 ozs of chopped celery and onion and sage to taste, I only use a little, don't like sage.... then beat about 6/7 eggs and add then stir... Cook as you would do cornbread.... this is my family tradition.

prepare to throw rocks.

stovetop.

commence!

:D

My friend was telling me she loved the stuffing she grew up with, but unfortunately her mom had passed 3 years prior and she said, "I will probably never know."

She is the youngest of 4 kids. We were with her eldest sister and I told her sister that she wished she had her mom's recipe. He sister laughed and said mom used Pepperidge Farm out of the box!!! :wub:

Crockpot dressing

Boil 4-5 chicken breast. Cool, pull apart. Set broth aside.

Cook a large skillet of cornbread. Cool and crumble in large bowl. Add:

1 cup chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

1 can golden mushroom soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

t teaspoon salt

1 teasspoon pepper

1 teaspoon sage

4 beaten eggs

1 stick melted butter

Add chicken and mix in broth until moist. Mix like your mixing cornbread up again. Add to crockpot. Cook on high 1 hour and reduce heat to low. Cook 4-5 hours longer. This turns out great every time.

Edited by ProudMawMawof5

I make 2 pans of dressing. I cooked my cornbread last night. One large cast iron skillet, 1 small cast iron skillet, another pan that results in not as brown and crispy a crust about the size of a large iron skillet, and 4 muffins. 2 muffins and the small iron skillet cornbread were eaten while hot out of the oven but I think I will still be ok. Today I will cook 4 or 5 Mrs. B's frozen biscuits and chop about a cup of celery and a cup of yellow onion. Probably a little more celery and onion than I will need but don't want to have to stop and chop more tomorrow morning when I'm putting it all together. Tomorrow morning I will crumble my cornbread and biscuits into a very large mixing bowl using about 1/4 of biscuits and rolls to 3/4 cornbread. I have a couple of yeast rolls in the fridge that were left over from dinners earlier in the week and I will use these too. The addition of the white bread(yeast rolls and biscuits) are what keep the dressing from being too dry/cornbready like textured. I will start adding my broth being careful not to get it too soupy but the right consistency. I always use Swanson's chicken broth. Have to get that today at Target, on sale for 59 cents a can. After achieving the right consistency, i add my celery and onion about half of it to start with. BTW, i add and mix everything with my hands, I never use a spoon. Once I'm happy with the ratio and consistency, I set my oven to preheat at 400. I then begin to add my sage and poultry seasoning being very careful not to put in too much at once. I also add black pepper and taste often until I'm happy with the seasoned taste. It can be very easy to get too much sage. My mother used to add a raw egg per pan to hers sometimes but i never do. I think it makes the cooked cornbread have a cakey like sticky consistency so I prefer to leave it out. I butter the bottoms of my pyrex dishes/pans generously and pour in the dressing. But not before I take out a small bowl of the dressing to eat, uncooked, while the pans are baking. I LOVE it raw.I cook it 45 minutes to an hour until the top is lightly browned and we're good to go. It's wonderful!! I started going over to my mom's early on Thanksgiving mornings when I was single and in my 20's. My grandmother would be there and the 3 of us would gather in the kitchen. While my mom made her sweet potato souffle and cooked the turkey, I would make the dressing. She alway had all the prep done as I now do, so she and my grandmother taught me how to put it all together. My mother has early onset Alzheimer's now so my sisters and I now prepare the Thanksgiving dinner. One sister knows how to make her souffle and I always make the dressing. :wub: :wub:

Edited by hotwheels

I was blessed to have my Mom make her dressing at my house the year before she died, so I do it now every year for my family.

She never measured, so from that year I made a recipe, and my family has thaked me every year..

The same thing happened to me. For some reason, the Christmas before we lost her- I wrote down the ingredients. Over the years I have gotten better at making it. I feel as though she is with me and helping me out.

I saute the onions, don't use celery, poultry seasoning or very much sage. Cornbread, white bread, the onions, raw eggs, lots of broth (from the turkey and store brought. Soupy is the right texture. THEN COMES THE GIBLET GRAVY!!!! YUMMO!!!!!!!!

Bills Cornbread Dressing

(dont even think about calling it stuffing)

1st day

Cornbread

1 1/3 cups milk

2 cups cornmeal mix

¼ cup oil

1 tablespoon sugar

Best to use a 12 cast iron skillet but any size cast iron skillet is necessary. Pre-heat oven to 450, pour oil in skillet and heat in oven for about 10 minutes. Mix milk, sugar and cornmeal mix. May need more milk, you want it a little soupy not stiff. Take skillet from oven and pour a little oil in mix and stir. Pour mix in skillet on top of the remaining oil. Cook for about 20 minutes until brown.

Crumble cornbread and leave it out overnight. Take 5 slices of white bread and prop them up and leave them out overnight to get stale. Dont use anything but WHITE bread. Dont use wheat, pumpernickel, etc.

2nd day

Dressing

3rd day

Re-heat in oven covered with aluminum foil at 300 until hot. The sage and onions will get stronger after sitting overnight. Eat it with turkey/chicken. Dont stuff it in anything but your mouth.

Pretty much the same here, I bake and use cornbread same day. I think the day old corn bread came in to play for those who had left over cornbread not to waste it. If your adding fluid to keep it moist then why dry it out first. I also add chopped granny smith apples and crumbeled cooked sausage and eggs sorry

Edited by Bunkys dad

Pretty much the same here, I bake and use cornbread same day. I think the day old corn bread came in to play for those who had left over cornbread not to waste it. If your adding fluid to keep it moist then why dry it out first. I also add chopped granny smith apples and crumbeled cooked sausage and eggs sorry

I cook my cornbread ahead to save on time. I store it in the fridge in sealed ziplock bags till turkey day. Have never heard of leaving it out to dry out before till on here? Same with my biscuits. I don't have the time or oven space to do all that bread cooking on Thanksgiving morning. :wacko:

• Like 1

Crockpot dressing

Boil 4-5 chicken breast. Cool, pull apart. Set broth aside.

Cook a large skillet of cornbread. Cool and crumble in large bowl. Add:

1 cup chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

1 can golden mushroom soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

t teaspoon salt

1 teasspoon pepper

1 teaspoon sage

4 beaten eggs

1 stick melted butter

Add chicken and mix in broth until moist. Mix like your mixing cornbread up again. Add to crockpot. Cook on high 1 hour and reduce heat to low. Cook 4-5 hours longer. This turns out great every time.

We had a last minute switch-up on Thanksgiving b/c some family came into town at the last minute we really wanted to see sooooooo...I put all my food to be made on hold til today. I'm gonna try your recipe for dressing. My Granddad and then my Mother always made the best but they arent here anymore so it's up to me. Your recipe looks likes there's except for the crockpot. I'm a huge crockpot user/lover so I think it's a good combination.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your recipe :give_rose: . Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoyed your time spent with family and friends :wub: .