Paulding.com

Graves visits commission as county's new congressman

Paulding is largest county in Ga 14th

Incumbent introduces himself to Commission

Tom Graves of Ranger, Georgia, introduced himself to the Paulding commission today offering his efforts to the county as the presumed incumbent for Paulding come January 1, 2013. Graves currently serves Georgia' 9th Congressional district, the most conservative congressional district in the eastern time zone. Re-apportionment puts him in the new Georgia 14th District. Paulding, for those who don't know, is the largest county in the new district which covers most of North West Georgia less Bartow County.

Our interview with Mr. Graves was a bust - actually didn't record - but we do have his comments to the commission. I'll simply add that a little research shows that Mr. Graves, when he was in the Georgia House, was one of those who challenged then speaker Glenn Richardson. He was also effective in winning three back-to-back elections over 90 days to fill the vacant seat of now Governor Nathan Deal.

A family man, Graves has been in the landscaping and real estate business before going to Congress. He was introduced by Rep. Howard Maxwell, with whom he served in the Georgia house from 2003 until 2009 when he was elected to congress.

Notably, with Paulding representing 25 percent of the voting population of the new Georgia 14th, there is at least one local pol interested in challenging Mr. Graves - former county commission chairman Jerry Shearin. The political divide locally, including Graves opposition to Richardson, suggests that a race may materialize.

In Graves favor, and a point he discusses, is his 'seniority' and committee assignment to the powerful appropriations committee of the house.

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

Graves has a solid record that Shearin will find hard to beat.

ah, but King Jerry has the Facilty Group, Holland & Knight, and his cadre' of RBMDs to finance him. We have NOT heard the last of King Jerry.

His warchest will be loaded with money.

And you know the old adage.......follow the money.

The Powers that Be carved out this new district so one on their annointed ones could have a go at it, and mark my words, he will have a well financed go at it.

We can only hope the voters will pay attention to whom they are voting for. :ninja:

• Like 1

Mr. Graves spoke at the Republican Party meeting on September 17th - and took a lot of questions from the Audience as well.

He is very likeable, very conservative, and definitely a family man.

Paulding would be well-represented if he wins the election next time as well.

Heard him address the Commission today and met him at the meeting on the 17th. I agree with you. A voting record like his is hard to argue against if you plan to oppose him. I liked him!

ah, but King Jerry has the Facilty Group, Holland & Knight, and his cadre' of RBMDs to finance him. We have NOT heard the last of King Jerry.

His warchest will be loaded with money.

And you know the old adage.......follow the money.

The Powers that Be carved out this new district so one on their annointed ones could have a go at it, and mark my words, he will have a well financed go at it.

We can only hope the voters will pay attention to whom they are voting for. :ninja:

Paulding has no one in the powers at be anymore. I think you will find he doesn't raise as much money as you think. Big Money like incumbents and he is not one.