Paulding.com

police chase, perp wrecked on Macland

With a name like "Stanislav Nikolaev Kosev ", I'd be surprised if he was from South America. I thought I heard on the news, Bulgaria which is NOT in S. America.

You are right, I am just tired and got the country wrong.

For some reason I am waking up at 5 am and so much happened today.

I was trying to make the point that his license may not be considered valid in Georgia and when he told the officer he did not have a license he was aware of that, and it was probably why he ran.

No excuses for what this kid did, but not all countries are like ours, some people get very frightened because the justice system is different in their countries, where you can buy your way out of trouble or rot in jail.

Do you have to be licensed in this Country if you are licensed in your own?

Cobb County P.D. just went through that question last september:

link: http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/9341754/article-Attorney--Teen-au-pair-unjustly-arrested--jailed

"According to Georgia Department of Driver's Services' website, "Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the "Out Of Country" license is valid (not expired). Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign or International license. You do not need to apply for a Georgia license unless you become a resident of Georgia."

• Like 1

link: http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/9341754/article-Attorney--Teen-au-pair-unjustly-arrested--jailed

"According to Georgia Department of Driver's Services' website, "Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the "Out Of Country" license is valid (not expired). Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign or International license. You do not need to apply for a Georgia license unless you become a resident of Georgia."

Thank you. I obviously don't know if this kid is licensed at all, just curious.

That information is not correct.

Residents of other countries must indeed apply for a license and pass a test.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1747371440&ty=dl

All drivers from other nations, including Canada and US Territories,

must pass Georgia's written, road and vision tests to be issued a Georgia driver's license.

Knowledge (written) tests must begin at least 30 minutes before center closing time.

You should present your Out of Country/International License or Identification card to receive a Georgia license or Identification card.

Out of country licenses/permits/ID cards are returned to non US citizens with the following exceptions: Commercial licenses and permits.

US Citizens who hold a license/permit/ID card issued by any foreign jurisdiction or US territory must surrender the license/permit/ID card.

So after a year or establishing residency, then a Georgia license is required? Did I read that correctly?

That information is not correct.

Residents of other countries must indeed apply for a license and pass a test.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1747371440&ty=dl

All drivers from other nations, including Canada and US Territories,

must pass Georgia's written, road and vision tests to be issued a Georgia driver's license.

Knowledge (written) tests must begin at least 30 minutes before center closing time.

You should present your Out of Country/International License or Identification card to receive a Georgia license or Identification card.

Out of country licenses/permits/ID cards are returned to non US citizens with the following exceptions: Commercial licenses and permits.

US Citizens who hold a license/permit/ID card issued by any foreign jurisdiction or US territory must surrender the license/permit/ID card.

Actually, Marteen's quote IS correct in the sense that only those who become Georgia residents are required by law to obtain GA driver's licenses. Foreign visitors may drive on their valid out-of-country licenses, just as our licenses are honored if we visit other countries.

• Like 1

Actually, Marteen's quote IS correct in the sense that only those who become Georgia residents are required by law to obtain GA driver's licenses.

I posted exactly what is on the DDS website.

It says nothing about only those who become residents. It says "ALL" drivers from other nations...

It also says that your native license will be returned after submitting it for the Georgia license.

If the DDS website is not correct, they need to be notified.

I posted exactly what is on the DDS website.

It says nothing about only those who become residents. It says "ALL" drivers from other nations...

It also says that your native license will be returned after submitting it for the Georgia license.

If the DDS website is not correct, they need to be notified.

The URL is correct, but your quote was incomplete.

The first two paragraphs read as follows:

'Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the "Out Of Country" license is valid (not expired). Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign or International license.

You do not need to apply for a Georgia license unless you become a resident of Georgia. If you choose to become a resident, you must meet the following requirements for Identity, Citizenship and Residency:'

Drivers From Other Nations

I issued licenses for nearly 25 years - I know a little about this. ;)

The URL is correct, but your quote was incomplete.

The first two paragraphs read as follows:

'Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the "Out Of Country" license is valid (not expired). Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign or International license.

You do not need to apply for a Georgia license unless you become a resident of Georgia. If you choose to become a resident, you must meet the following requirements for Identity, Citizenship and Residency:'

Drivers From Other Nations

I issued licenses for nearly 25 years - I know a little about this. ;)

I would have to say we are both correct then... because of:

"Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign or International license."

Meaning, if you are here on a work visa, you are still a non-resident and if you are here longer than a year,

your foreign license is invalid here.

BTW, our licenses are not necessarily honored out of our country either.

Mine was not honored in Japan... I had to take a course and a test to get a temp license to drive.

Hubby has driven in Canada, England, France, Sweden, Germany and the Netherlands. Never needed anything other than his valid Georgia license.

But this thread is not about valid US licenses being honored elsewhere. It's about valid licenses issued in other countries being valid here.

BTW, our licenses are not necessarily honored out of our country either.

Mine was not honored in Japan... I had to take a course and a test to get a temp license to drive.

my son was on the bus when all this was going on... he saw a good bit of it... it is a MIRACLE that no one else were injured or killed... seems like all of this over radio and no permit... what an idiot.... good job by pcso for ending it quickly tho :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

from what i saw in the video, the guy was extremely lucky he was not crushed by the car door slamming the road sign a split second after he bailed out.

---- and to think, all this (and could have been worse) because he was playing the music too loud.

from what i saw in the video, the guy was extremely lucky he was not crushed by the car door slamming the road sign a split second after he bailed out.

---- and to think, all this (and could have been worse) because he was playing the music too loud.

we can play the "what if" game all day........

If he had killed someone while running, then the press would have been all over it for law enforcement chasing someone "playing loud music" or the "someone from a foreign country driving illegally" angle.

If it was mom in a minivan playing loud music, would anyone notice?

• Like 1

Wow.... that is where I drive every day. I was surprised the teenager didn't kill himself and someone else the ways the roads were packed around the lights. He had to have gotten in the opposing lane a couple of times to get around the traffic. Way to go guys, they were on him like flies on... well you know! Why did the teen open the door going down the road, was he planning on jumping out on the pavement? I guess he knew he had no chance of getting away.

Wow.... that is where I drive every day. I was surprised the teenager didn't kill himself and someone else the ways the roads were packed around the lights. He had to have gotten in the opposing lane a couple of times to get around the traffic. Way to go guys, they were on him like flies on... well you know! Why did the teen open the door going down the road, was he planning on jumping out on the pavement? I guess he knew he had no chance of getting away.

Listen to the video voice of the chasing officer (you have to turn it up). He had ran off into the ditch on macland, went airborne and hit a mailbox, etc. Most likely damaged the car/engine. From the video, you see him when he rolled back on the road with the dead engine, he tried to put it in park while rolling (which doesn't work) and tried to get out to run.

insurance is based on the vehicle, not the driver.

if i am not mistaken, you can't own a car unless you are 18? ------- either way, the car was probably in the parents name and has insurance on it.

The kid goes to East Paulding HS... My son said the story Stan is giving at school is that:

He has a Bulgarian driver's license.

He ran because his dad had the alcohol in the trunk and he was afraid he would get in trouble for that.

The car is his father's.

That being said ... I questioned my son how long Stan has been in the U.S., as in when did he have time to get a Bulgarian license ... ?

Then I looked up... http://bulgaria.angloinfo.com/countries/bulgaria/drivlicence.asp

The legal minimum age for driving in Bulgaria is 18 years.

This was yet another opportunity for me to stress to my son how Stan’s decisions (driving without a license, running from the police, driving 110 MPH, endangering himself and others, jumping out of a moving car-almost smashing himself in the door, ruining his father’s car...) caused much more of a problem long term than the problem he would have had if he would have just dealt with the police taking him away for lack of license and alcohol in the trunk.

There may be a reason Stan's father has not alowed Stan to get a license even though he is 17. ;) :rolleyes:

The kid goes to East Paulding HS... My son said the story Stan is giving at school is that:

He has a Bulgarian driver's license.

He ran because his dad had the alcohol in the trunk and he was afraid he would get in trouble for that.

The car is his father's.

That being said ... I questioned my son how long Stan has been in the U.S., as in when did he have time to get a Bulgarian license ... ?

Then I looked up... http://bulgaria.angloinfo.com/countries/bulgaria/drivlicence.asp

The legal minimum age for driving in Bulgaria is 18 years.

This was yet another opportunity for me to stress to my son how Stan’s decisions (driving without a license, running from the police, driving 110 MPH, endangering himself and others, jumping out of a moving car-almost smashing himself in the door, ruining his father’s car...) caused much more of a problem long term than the problem he would have had if he would have just dealt with the police taking him away for lack of license and alcohol in the trunk.

There may be a reason Stan's father has not alowed Stan to get a license even though he is 17. ;) :rolleyes:

I'm not even gonna tell you the "low down" I got on the kid from a whole bunch of kids, I would not want him around my kids :wacko: ;)