Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
kcarlsonlpn

Multiple Sclerosis Society

Back in 1986 my mother was diagnosed with MS, a severe neurological disorder, after having a tendency to drag her left foot when in extreme heat. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with the most aggressive form of MS and is now a quadriplegic sentenced to a bed/wheelchair for the rest of her living days. Her speech is slurred dramatically as she has little control of her tongue, vision blurred until blindness eventually sets in, and a colostomy to prevent her from pooping herself because she can't feel anything. It's a scary and debilitating disease that doesn't get near enough press. While cancer often kills its victims mercifully, MS plays with them until natural death comes to pay a visit....sending its victims into a bottomless pit of depression and financial woes. I can't overstate how dreadful of a fate MS is to meet.

A buddy of mine from high school, Corey Cables, is riding in a fundraising bike ride for the MS Society. I know times are tough, but anything you can do to donate to a very worthy cause would be eternally appreciated. While there is little that can be done for my mom, there are plenty of folks just getting diagnosed or on the verge of diagnosis that need our help to stamp out a disease that is as cruel as it is unpredictable. Scientists still don't know what causes MS, making it that much more difficult to develop effective treatment. Even a $5 donation would go a long way in funding the scientific research needed to identify what causes MS and, ultimately, how to tame its unrelenting symptoms if not develop a cure.

Please follow this link and donate what you can. I know times are tough and I hate to reach out for donations when so many folks are out of work....I wouldn't do it if it weren't for my firsthand knowledge of what this disease can do to an individual, a family, and a society.

Thanks

mrnn

Edited by mrnn

I have a scouting friend that is plagued by MS. They just can't seem to get it under control. My heart goes out to everyone with this horrible disease. I'll be following your link to make a donation.

And, there have been recent advances in the treatment of the symptoms of MS. But, you are right - we can't figure out what the cause is and how to stop the underlying damage.

My ex husbands father succumbed to MS. He was diagnosed at 40 years old. My ex husband rides his motorcycle every year for MS. I can't think of a better reason to get out and ride.

My sister was diagnosed when she was in her early twenties. It has been very hard for her. She had to give up her career. With all of her treatments, she was unable to have children. She has some good days but mostly her pain takes over. She has her faith and her husband to keep her going. I appreciate you trying to get the word out to others. You are right about recognition of a silent disease.

my middle child has ms and already having a lot of problems, blindness in one eye and loss of feeling and her stomach has shut down and she has to drink energy drinks for vitamans and nutrients, her's started in 2005