Paulding.com

MYELOGRAM..........HAVE YOU HAD ONE?

I'm having one done next week..........

I have some serious issues with my neck.......C2 through C7. Also some issues with my lower back, L4 and L5.

If you've had a myelogram, what was your experience?

I researched it, found some precautions, found some side effects.

How did it affect you?

TIA

:)

MYELOGRAM

A myelogram uses X-rays and a special dye called contrast material to make pictures of the bones and the fluid-filled space (subarachnoid space) between the bones in your spine (spinal canal). A myelogram may be done to find a tumor, an infection, problems with the spine such as a herniated disc, or narrowing of the spinal canal caused by arthritis.

The spinal canal holds the spinal cord, spinal nerve roots, and the subarachnoid space.

During the test, a dye is put into the subarachnoid space with a thin needle. The dye moves through the space so the nerve roots and spinal cord can be seen more clearly. Pictures may be taken before and after the dye is used. To get more information from the test, a CT scan is often done after the X-rays, while the dye is still in your body.

Be sure to take it easy for about 24hours. If you develop a raging headache - call the doc - you have a leak of spinal fluid and it will have to be fixed - very easy to fix - but it's got to be done.

MIL had several of these to diagnosis her back issues. She just didn't like the part where they tilt the table back and forth to get the dye moved around. Otherwise, she was fine.

Girl are you still having problems? I do not know if my husband had one of those or not I will ask him.. you know he has had just about everything wrong with him..

Girl are you still having problems? I do not know if my husband had one of those or not I will ask him.. you know he has had just about everything wrong with him..

Yep.

Gotta have surgery.

Again.

I've had it done one time and it didn't help at all. This was back in 1995. I hope things are better now a days.

A myelogram is not supposed to help.......It's a test.

It's dye injected into the spinal column to find the source of pain and problems, mainly herniated discs.

My main concern with the test is exactly that. They actually tap into the spinal fluid to insert the dye and you have to rest and be careful and watch for any spinal fluid seepage afterwards.

It can cause headaches and nausea.

My dad had one and the only concern I had was he is diabetic and he couldn't take his glucoflage (I know that is spelt wrong) when he had the test. Had to call his doctor to get something else called in and the doctor called the wrong thing in and my dad lost conciousness because of it. His sugar got WAY too low scared the heck out of me cause I wasn't expecting that to happen. So that was the only thing that happened with him. He did have to drink PLENTY of water had to keep his head elevated to make sure the dye didn't go to his head.

I

I've had it done one time and it didn't help at all. This was back in 1995. I hope things are better now a days.

I had one in 87, and omgoodness...I hope they do it different now. That was some terrible times.

lowrider,

My wife had this done a few years ago and it was the only thing that would diagnose her problem after a year of CT Scans & MRI's. It is an old school test & they have it down to a science today - even though they don't do them that often.

You will be fine. Prayers that they find what they find that problem.

westside family

Thank you.

I'll be glad when they do figure it out. We know what's wrong with my neck but my back is a totally different issue and I am expiencing numbness in my right leg to my foot. And sometimes hot spots which tells me it is nerves.

I'm in pain everyday and I don't take pain pills. They make me sick and I wouldn't be able to do my job. I have to be very alert and quick.

I'm really looking for some relief with my neck.

I hope you can find out what the problem is and they can fix it I know you are tried of hurting it will drain you mentally and physically and emotionally.

A myelogram is not supposed to help.......It's a test.

It's dye injected into the spinal column to find the source of pain and problems, mainly herniated discs.

My main concern with the test is exactly that. They actually tap into the spinal fluid to insert the dye and you have to rest and be careful and watch for any spinal fluid seepage afterwards.

It can cause headaches and nausea.

Duuuhhhhhh, when you have had as many things done as I have had, you'd forget too. I guess I was thinking of the epidurals and the nerve blocks. :rofl: Thanks

Duuuhhhhhh, when you have had as many things done as I have had, you'd forget too. I guess I was thinking of the epidurals and the nerve blocks. :rofl: Thanks

And you know, I didn't mean to sound snarky........but after reading about the procedure it kinda had me worried.

Sorry :blush:

And you know, I didn't mean to sound snarky........but after reading about the procedure it kinda had me worried.

Sorry :blush:

You didn't, it was one of those things I typed before thinking about it.