Paulding.com

Bed times for kids

I was just wondering what time most parents make their kids go to bed and what time they have to be up for school.

I have a 13 & 10 yo that both go to bed around 10:00. My son (10) gets up at 7:00 and my DD (13) gets up at 7:30. I also have my son who is 17 and plays football so I try and make him go to bed as early as I can but I know his butt is probably up texting, he gets up at 8:02 :wacko:

I wish they would all go to bed about 8:30 but I feel guilty if I dose them with benadryl :rofl: :rofl:

edited cause I can't spell :blush:

Edited by RaidersRock

our 13 yo is told lights, computer, phone out at 11, 8 & 6 year old, we start their bedtime routine between 8 & 8:30....they fall asleep between 9-10, depends on the night.

The 13 & 8 yo get up at 6:30-6:45, and the 6 yo gets up between 7/ 7:15.

I too wish I could get them to bed earlier, it just doesn't happen. :(

Edited by ~TRIXIE~

I have a 13 and 17 year old, we try to get them in bed by 10:00. 17 year old has a job and gets in around 9:30 to 10:00 two nights a week. Lights are out by 11:00 in the living room. They may stay up and study (yeah right) wishful thinking... That's what they say any way...

I am A BAD mom I make my 17yo go to bed at 10 just moved it up from 9:30 last school year. He starts getting up at 6:30am rises about 7:00. I know he sits up texting when he should be in bed.

For the 13 yr. old it's tv and computer off at 10 but she can read til she falls asleep. the baby goes to bed at 7:30 usually.

My 9 year old gets into the bed by 8:30, then does his 1/2 hour of reading before lights out at 9. last year it was 8:00 for an 8:30 bedtime, and in k thru 3rd grade, it was 8:00 with wind down time a 1/2 hour before. Without the wind down time, it was hard for him to get to sleep. He gets up at 6:00 every day except weekends to catch the school bus by 7:00. His weekend bedtime is flexible. We try for 10:00, but it often goes to 11:00. It sometimes runs a little late on monday-scout night, but never past 9:30. He's an honor roll student, in chorus and show choir, and also in drama and scouts. With that kind of busy going on, the regular sleep patterns are important, and help him to focus all day.

We start 'bedtime' routine around 7. Which is an hour of brushing teeth, hair, asking for 17 glasses of water, hugs, kisses, tuck ins, re-tuck ins, a story, arguing over no tv, gotta hug the dog, cat, dolly... then another trip to the bathroom.

They usually end up in bed around 8. Go to sleep around 9.

My kids are 4 and 7.

Mine are 9 & 6 and go to bed at 8:00.

By the way, parents of teens, you do realize that teens need MORE sleep than other children. Going to bed at 10:30 and getting up at 6:30 is only 8 hours. They should be sleeping around 10-11 hours.

Mine are 9 & 6 and go to bed at 8:00.

By the way, parents of teens, you do realize that teens need MORE sleep than other children. Going to bed at 10:30 and getting up at 6:30 is only 8 hours. They should be sleeping around 10-11 hours.

the teens aren't sleeping at night because they're sleeping at school all day.

We start 'bedtime' routine around 7. Which is an hour of brushing teeth, hair, asking for 17 glasses of water, hugs, kisses, tuck ins, re-tuck ins, a story, arguing over no tv, gotta hug the dog, cat, dolly... then another trip to the bathroom.

They usually end up in bed around 8. Go to sleep around 9.

My kids are 4 and 7.

Lol that is the same with our kids as well. Ours are 4, 5 & 7

the teens aren't sleeping at night because they're sleeping at school all day.

My point exactly. It's hard to get mine to sleep until the time change but I can totally tell a difference in their behavior when they get home from school. My 6 year old is so whiney that I would NEVER torcher his teacher and let him stay up later. I let them stay up "late" and go to bed at 10:00 on the week ends.

7:45 they get in bed and can watch a movie or read a book until 8:30 is when it's lights out, but we are always in sports. So they don't even get home until 9 and then have to shower and go straight to bed

They are 7 and 9

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

7:45 they get in bed and can watch a movie or read a book until 8:30 is when it's lights out, but we are always in sports. So they don't even get home until 9 and then have to shower and go straight to bed

They are 7 and 9

Sounds like us! Mine are 7,9 and 12, we have sports every night. We get home at 9 they eat dinner, take a bath and are usually in bed by 10, asleep by 10:30. When it cools off I'll feed them dinner before practice and a snack after practice, right now it's just too hot to feed them something heavy and send them out into the heat-yuck! They get up between 6:30 and 6:45.

My five-year-old twins are in bed by 7:30, usually both actually go to sleep by 8 and are up at 7. My son (6) is in bed by 8:30 and asleep by 9, gets up at 7. My daughter (9) is in bed at 9, try to have her asleep by 9:30, though it's usually closer to 10. She gets up about 6:30/7.

Our 18 year old is a senior this year and just got his first job. He will work until 10 a few nights each week, starting next week. He usually is in bed by 10 or 10:30 so it will be interesting to see how he handles getting home at 10:15 or so, taking a shower and getting to bed. He usually takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R in the shower but he will have to cut it back a lot. He gets up at 6:00 and out the door by 7:30. I think that if he would stop spending 20 minutes just brushing his teeth, he might get in bed by 11:00 on nights he works. We shall see...... When he was in grade school and middle school, his bed time was 7:30 nd then progressed up to 9:00 by high school. He has always gone right to bed and right to sleep. He has never had a TV in his room, either.

Elementary schooler in bed by 8:00, and up at 5:45 (she's a slow mover in the mornings)

Middle schooler in bed by 9:00 and up at 6:25

High schooler in bed by 10:00 and up at 6:25

There is no reading in bed, no tv, no anything. I don't care if it's still daylight when bedtime comes. Lay there with your eyes closed until you go to sleep! I'm either a mean mommy, or I have great kids, because they don't give me any problem during the school year with bedtime or wake up time.

Did have a problem with the eldest over the summer because I wouldn't let him stay up all dang night long.

Elementary schooler in bed by 8:00, and up at 5:45 (she's a slow mover in the mornings)

Middle schooler in bed by 9:00 and up at 6:25

High schooler in bed by 10:00 and up at 6:25

There is no reading in bed, no tv, no anything. I don't care if it's still daylight when bedtime comes. Lay there with your eyes closed until you go to sleep! I'm either a mean mommy, or I have great kids, because they don't give me any problem during the school year with bedtime or wake up time.

Did have a problem with the eldest over the summer because I wouldn't let him stay up all dang night long.

Dang - your kids get up really, really early. Mine prefer to roll out of bed and basically out the door. Oldest needs about 25 minutes from the time his feet hit the floor (including a shower) to be out the door. Youngest need about 40 minutes - but he's into drying and styling his hair right now. We'll see how long that lasts.

I was just wondering what time most parents make their kids go to bed and what time they have to be up for school.

I have a 13 & 10 yo that both go to bed around 10:00. My son (10) gets up at 7:00 and my DD (13) gets up at 7:30. I also have my son who is 17 and plays football so I try and make him go to bed as early as I can but I know his butt is probably up texting, he gets up at 8:02 :wacko:

I wish they would all go to bed about 8:30 but I feel guilty if I dose them with benadryl :rofl: :rofl:

edited cause I can't spell :blush:

5th grader in bed by 10:00

8th grader in bed by 10:30 (but they don't let them out of football practice until 8:45 and by the time he eats and showers he has little free time. Sometimes I let him stay up until 11:00 to watch the Braves.

11th grader in bed by 11:00. She has been told to stop texting at 10:00, but I have a feeling that's not happening. Let me know if it's causing a problem on your end and I'll confiscate the phone at 10:00 :D I think most nights they both fall asleep before 11:00 though.

Dang - your kids get up really, really early. Mine prefer to roll out of bed and basically out the door. Oldest needs about 25 minutes from the time his feet hit the floor (including a shower) to be out the door. Youngest need about 40 minutes - but he's into drying and styling his hair right now. We'll see how long that lasts.

I know and I feel badly for them. :( The baby has about 5 minutes of down time in the mornings. She gets up and comes straight downstairs for breakfast and then brushes her teeth, cleans her hands and faces and starts getting dressed. (Her bath is at night) I'm telling you she just moves really slowly! lol

The middle child has TONS of nothing time, in the morning, but he likes it that way. He could probably sleep until 7:00, but he likes to relax and not feel rushed.

The high schooler takes FOREVER in the shower. That's the only real reason he gets up so early.

forget the kids lol my bed time is dark and I am up by 4 or 5 every morning... I have an internal alarm clock from when I was working :blink: I would not know what it was like to sleep to 8 am I have never slept that late.

forget the kids lol my bed time is dark and I am up by 4 or 5 every morning... I have an internal alarm clock from when I was working :blink: I would not know what it was like to sleep to 8 am I have never slept that late.

We moved here from the East coast (literally) to here that is so far west in the eastern time zone.. It took me a long time to adjust to how late the sun goes down and how late it comes up. I'm a natural 5am riser - but it being dark really screws with my internal clock. I didn't realize how much until we went out west this summer and the sun came up at our 5am. I just felt so much better.

My kids are 13 & 8 and are both in bed by 8:30 and sound asleep about 10 minutes later. They get up at 6:30. We start bathes and winding down for bed at 7:30. We also lay out clothes out for the next day the night before so that is one less thing to worry about in the mornings.

On the weekends we let them stay up until 10 or 11 at the latest.

We moved here from the East coast (literally) to here that is so far west in the eastern time zone.. It took me a long time to adjust to how late the sun goes down and how late it comes up. I'm a natural 5am riser - but it being dark really screws with my internal clock. I didn't realize how much until we went out west this summer and the sun came up at our 5am. I just felt so much better.

maybe that is where I need to move lol

My kids Went to bed at 7:30pm from k-5th, in 6th-8th they went to bed at at 8pm and 9th-12th is 9:30.

My kids get in the bed by their bed time, But they get up for water, have to go pee, Oh I forgot to get my cloths out of the drier. So, they probably, actually get to sleep about 30 or so min after they are supposed to be in the bed.

I don't mind them going to bed 30 later, that is why I made there time 30 minutes earlier than what I actually wanted them to be in bed at.

My 18 year old doesn't really have a bed time. But, I go to bed at 10, so that is usually when she goes.

My kids weekend times are, go to bed when you want, but you wont sleep past 10am.. If I don't let them sleep pass 10am, it makes it much easier on Sundays to get them in bed on time.

Edited by orrby

5th grader in bed by 10:00

8th grader in bed by 10:30 (but they don't let them out of football practice until 8:45 and by the time he eats and showers he has little free time. Sometimes I let him stay up until 11:00 to watch the Braves.

11th grader in bed by 11:00. She has been told to stop texting at 10:00, but I have a feeling that's not happening. Let me know if it's causing a problem on your end and I'll confiscate the phone at 10:00 :D I think most nights they both fall asleep before 11:00 though.

lol, I think most nights he is pretty tired and crashes.

It seems like most do the same thing I do. I thought we would never get back on schedule after the summer of sleeping the day away but so far so good. :pardon:

lol, I think most nights he is pretty tired and crashes.

It seems like most do the same thing I do. I thought we would never get back on schedule after the summer of sleeping the day away but so far so good. :pardon:

Yep, I hear "I guess he fell asleep" most nights around 10:30ish.