Paulding.com

High Crime area near Merchant's Drive

I live very close to New Canaan Baptist Church... in my area, there has been a large increase in the number of folks walking along Merchants Drive / Atlanta Highway near Huddle House, Ingles, Arby's and back towards the liquor store near Captain Eddie's. Back and forth all day long, folks are walking. There have been MANY reports of vandalism, drug activity, burglaries, etc in this area.

Just this evening I see four (black) youths walking up the side of Merchants Drive. Two were wearing backpacks. Now why are two teens wearing backpacks on a Sunday evening when school's out? IT LOOKS SUSPICIOUS. The apartments behind Huddle House as well as Arby's are a high crime area and it appears to be spilling over into the surrounding community. I'm very frustrated. My car battery was stolen, my neighbors have been burglarized, What is the Sheriff doing about the crime around Dallas? When my car battery was stolen, they didn't even come to my house, they took a report over the phone and to my knowledge, no one was ever brought to book for ripping me off. I'm getting very angry! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop playing the race card. He was giving a description.   If they were fat he would have said, 5 fat boys.

This is what happens to a county that has cheap housing and cheap apartments. Tends to bring in a certain element into our community. When, and if, this economy ever turns arounds, builders please do

Sounds like you are just narrow minded.   Because a person uses an adjective does not make him a biggot.   Black male   White male   Fat male   Adjectives. If using the word black to describ

Posted Images

Since we are having so much "major" crime going on, I am sure they don't have time to mess with our "petty" crime -- as they see it anyway. It has come down to the fact that we have to defend our own property. I think we should put more cameras in and have more neighborhood watches. Maybe even rig our property with some kind of device that would let us know when someone is messing with our property or emit some gasses that stain them. Don't really know an answer, but know it will be up to us now. :ninja:

Sadly the whole county is getting bad.

I personally love and respect the Sheriff and all the LEO in the county. However, I do see a very big problem taking place.

How can they get a handle on it?

Edited by bored
  • Like 1

This is what happens to a county that has cheap housing and cheap apartments. Tends to bring in a certain element into our community. When, and if, this economy ever turns arounds, builders please do not build any more of these types of houses. This is definitely not the county that we came to 25 years ago. To be honest, I wish it was back like it was then.

• Like 8

I lived in Merchants court apartments for a VERY short time and the things that go on there are insane. It was so bad we wouldn't even let the kids go play outside when the murder suicide happened we had to explain to our 5 and 3 year old why a dead body was being brought out where everyone could witness it. I am so glad we got out of that area.

This is what happens to a county that has cheap housing and cheap apartments. Tends to bring in a certain element into our community. When, and if, this economy ever turns arounds, builders please do not build any more of these types of houses. This is definitely not the county that we came to 25 years ago. To be honest, I wish it was back like it was then.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I have been saying this for years.

• Like 2

I just want to say........I LOVE MY NOSIE ROSEY NEIGHBOR.............Don't nothing get past her....she watches my house like a hawk......I left my house the other day to run to the store....I got not even a mile away....she calls me on my cell phone to tell me I left my garage door open.....I just love her.....LOL.....A friend stop by last week....she calls me to tell me he left his lights on....LOL...Now how is that for service...........

I live very close to New Canaan Baptist Church... in my area, there has been a large increase in the number of folks walking along Merchants Drive / Atlanta Highway near Huddle House, Ingles, Arby's and back towards the liquor store near Captain Eddie's. Back and forth all day long, folks are walking. There have been MANY reports of vandalism, drug activity, burglaries, etc in this area.

Just this evening I see four (black) youths walking up the side of Merchants Drive. Two were wearing backpacks. Now why are two teens wearing backpacks on a Sunday evening when school's out? IT LOOKS SUSPICIOUS. The apartments behind Huddle House as well as Arby's are a high crime area and it appears to be spilling over into the surrounding community. I'm very frustrated. My car battery was stolen, my neighbors have been burglarized, What is the Sheriff doing about the crime around Dallas? When my car battery was stolen, they didn't even come to my house, they took a report over the phone and to my knowledge, no one was ever brought to book for ripping me off. I'm getting very angry! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Aren't all hood latches on the inside, now? How did they get under your car's hood to get the car battery?

As for people walking, god forbid that people walk instead of using cars to travel a mile or less! Yeah - how dare they walk along Merchants Drive -- especially wearing a backpack. I wouldn't have a problem with anybody walking down a main road like Merchants Drive - I would have a problem if people were in a neighborhood where they didn't belong. THAT's what people should look out for. As for people walking to the store - good for them. People need excercise. I should walk more. Here's an idea -- Why don't YOU walk down Merchant's Drive, talk to people and find out why they're walking or what they're doing with backpacks on their backs?

• Like 2

I used to live off BR6. That whole area has gone down quite a bit. I hated going to Ingle's because I was almost always harassed in the parking lot by someone. The last time I ate at Tequila's, there was a stabbing in the parking lot outside. If I remember correctly, there was also an armed robbery there as well. I feel bad for the good people who have to live amongst the criminals.

When my car battery was stolen, they didn't even come to my house, they took a report over the phone and to my knowledge, no one was ever brought to book for ripping me off. I'm getting very angry! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Don't feel bad, nobody has ever been brought in for shooting me two and a half years ago either.

Just this evening I see four (black) youths walking up the side of Merchants Drive.

terrible thing. they should be charged with wwb (walking while black)

/sarcasm mode off

i really dislike bigots

• Like 3

terrible thing. they should be charged with wwb (walking while black)

/sarcasm mode off

i really dislike bigots

Stop playing the race card.

He was giving a description.

If they were fat he would have said, 5 fat boys.

• Like 12

Stop playing the race card.

He was giving a description.

If they were fat he would have said, 5 fat boys.

i will stop playing the race card when it stops being played. they automatically assumed that because they had backpacks and were black that they were guilty of a crime.

• Like 1

i will stop playing the race card when it stops being played. they automatically assumed that because they had backpacks and were black that they were guilty of a crime.

Sounds like you are just narrow minded.

Because a person uses an adjective does not make him a biggot.

Black male

White male

Fat male

Adjectives. If using the word black to describe someone makes them a biggot, then our entire government is racist because on EVERY paper you fill out you must list your RACE. Telling someones race does not make someone a racist. I am so sick of the race card being played.

Edited by bored
  • Like 8

If I had to guess, the boys had stayed or were going to stay at anothers house. They will put their belongings in the backpacks to carry to their friends (toothbrush, clothes, Xbox/PS games, cd's, etc.). I know the area is bad, I used to live in Merchants Court as well and it's gotten a lot worse but I have to agree that the complex behind Arby's is a quiet community. Now, the traffic or should I say most of it comes from: Merchants Court, Harris Bridge Apartments, Magnolia Crest Apartments, the apartments on WI Parkway behind the Dollar General on Bus 6, the subdivision near or across from Captain Eddie's and even the subdivision behind Woodstock furniture outlet. A lot of the kids from these areas walk to the other apartments or subdivisons to go to their friends houses. I know this because I would see kids I know with other kids I know (this from being involved with my child and her school) and I knew which ones they lived in. I'm not saying they're all great kids and wouldn't do anything wrong nor am I saying that they would. I've known some really great kids to do some really bad things. If they befriend some that aren't that great to hangout with and their parents are usually gone and they're home alone, they will pick up on the 'not so great' activities of the ones they have befriended. Trust me, they come in all different shapes, sizes and colors as well. We could only pray that things will get better for that area but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

One of the downsides to this economy is parents are being forced to take jobs any way they can and at all different hours, days and shifts. This leaves too much time on the kids hands to be free to roam and engage into activities that aren't very pleasant. Sad but true :nea:

• Like 1

Sounds like you are just narrow minded.

Because a person uses an adjective does not make him a biggot.

Black male

White male

Fat male

Adjectives. If using the word black to describe someone makes them a biggot, then our entire government is racist because on EVERY paper you fill out you must list your RACE. Telling someones race does not make someone a racist. I am so sick of the race card being played.

Good lord, somebody with the voice of reason........imagine that.

For all you idiots calling someone racist for describing the black males walking down Merchants Drive, learn the meaning of that word

Definition for racist:

a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

they clearly are not racist, as they did not state their belief in racial superiority. They are describing the person. If they had said 4 white males, nothing would have been said about the race card. What you need to do is protect your property, call in suspicious activity, and most of all--keep track of what YOUR kids are doing! Crime rates are going up, its a sign of the times. Pull your head out of your butts, and fight crime and quit whining about what color a criminal is. They come in all colors and ages. JMHO

• Like 2

Describing someone doesn't make them a racist, bigot, sexists ... geez society needs to quit being so sensitive. :wacko: I do agree that cheap housing = crime. My mother grew up poor and she can tell some stories. When crime gets high, it makes folks paranoid. Seeing kids walking in the heat with backpacks on a Sunday, yes would make them jump to conclusions. My kids love to go camping on the weekends with their dad. They carry their stuff in backpacks. There are many reasons or possibilities. And as mentioned by others, we do need to watch out for each other. The police can't be everywhere.

What really bothers me is there has to be a thriving market for stolen goods to encourage people to steal this much.

As far as crime and race in this county being an issue, pick up one of those busted magazines looks to me like it is about even.

It is a shame that kids carrying back packs look suspicious, but that is an issue in high crime areas.

You simply start to look at everyone with suspicion, especially since you know that we don't have the resources to patrol the area well.

We have the people with backpacks in our neighborhood but it is teenagers mostly. It's actually pretty common to see it anywhere. I always assumed their belongings are in there so they don't have to carry it, like iPods or clothes or whatever.

When my grandparents were robbed a lawn mower was taken, copper wiring, etc. Its happening way too much anymore.

Hmmmm. Granted I'm not a young black male but I do on occasion carry a backpack. The last time I carried it, it contained the following:

vitamins

notebook with information about houses to look at

notebook paper

pens

pencils

and oh yeah, a Ruger 22 target pistol. :rofl: You can't be too careful these days. Someone might get the impression that since it's a backpack it contains a bomb. Never mind I'm a fat, gray-haired, 56 year old grandmother of 9.

On Merchants Drive, we already have the junky used car lot, tattoo parlor, liquor store and Title Max. What we now need to make the area complete are a few gold buyers, check cashing agencies and weekly rental apartments.

That ought to really revitalize the area!

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

• Like 1

For all you idiots calling someone racist for describing the black males walking down Merchants Drive, learn the meaning of that word

Definition for racist:

a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

they clearly are not racist, as they did not state their belief in racial superiority. They are describing the person. If they had said 4 white males, nothing would have been said about the race card. What you need to do is protect your property, call in suspicious activity, and most of all--keep track of what YOUR kids are doing! Crime rates are going up, its a sign of the times. Pull your head out of your butts, and fight crime and quit whining about what color a criminal is. They come in all colors and ages. JMHO

or maybe this thread would have never been started. idk.

• Like 1

On Merchants Drive, we already have the junky used car lot, tattoo parlor, liquor store and Title Max. What we now need to make the area complete are a few gold buyers, check cashing agencies and weekly rental apartments.

They did with new apartments, More people to work the retail.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig, minimum wage jobs=poverty.

There is an extended stay hotel over by the Huddle House I am pretty sure!

I know a good bit of the people in Merchant's Court work on the strip I see them walking to work all the time.

Merchant's Court was nice when it was first built, but man it has went downhill. I've heard some horror stories about that place.

That ought to really revitalize the area! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Oh please....then there would be complaints about the money used to revitalize the area.

There are is some industry in walking distance of the area, I am not sure if any of the folks work in them. I know some had moved out of the area due to frequent break ins and theft.

I hope they don't leave because of it, but when your work trucks and shops are broken into over and over it's time to go.

No business wants to feel victimized by the area residents.