Paulding.com

Do you think DVR's really use up that much power?

Caught that Clark Howard thing where he mentioned DVR's use more power than most other things. Anyone know if that is true?

I wouldn't even know how to turn my DVR off :lol: :ph34r:

My poor electric bill went up $40 and the first thing I thought of was the DVR but the husband said it was probably due to the heat and the cycle was 2 extra days compared to the previous one.

:lol:

No, it was my fault. I set myself up for that haha. What I mean is we have that AT&T thing....uhh....U-verse....there is a main box thingy with lights on it and then the DVR box. Do I unplug the main thing or just the DVR thing? I haven't even looked behind the TV to see what is plugged into where.

I don't even know a time when I could unplug it for more than a few hours at a time (without missing scheduled recordings). Maybe if I stay up until after midnight, unplug it, and plug it back in by noon or so. I have to sleep and work, though.

Edited by QOTSA

:lol:

No, it was my fault. I set myself up for that haha. What I mean is we have that AT&T thing....uhh....U-verse....there is a main box thingy with lights on it and then the DVR box. Do I unplug the main thing or just the DVR thing? I haven't even looked behind the TV to see what is plugged into where.

You have more than one box per tv with UVerse? I have UVerse but I only have one on each tv. I'm thinking about switching off (by using the surge protector switch)the other four that I don't use very often. I wonder if all them take as much power. Hmmmmmmm.

Oh nevermind, I'm guessing you are talking about the main modem box hootenanny. I wouldn't touch that or nothing will work.

Edited by justgettingby

The other boxes don't have DVRs, just the main one but they all can record off that one main one...ours is in the living room.

Anywho then there is the big daddy box thingy with all the lights on it. That is like the grand master supreme box.

No, I still don't know how to turn the DVR off but I did find out my kids have recorded about a bajillion shows on there :lol:

UVerse switched it so all the tv's can pause and rewind live TV. It used to be only the main DVR one (also in my living room) could do that. But now any tv in your house as long as it has the little box, can act as a dvr. So I'm thinking they all use about the same amount of power. Which sucks because I have a total of 6 plus the big ol' grand master super Poobah modem hootenanny which is set up in the office.

I'm going to turn off/unplug a few and see what happens next month on my bill. I'm too curious now not to.

Edited by justgettingby

Ohhh gotcha, we are new to U-verse so we only know the newest set up. e only have 3 boxes plus the grand master poohbah supreme hootenanny lighty up thing. I think only the one that was the actual DVR was the one that ate power like a tick sucking on a scalp.

I'd turn my DVR off.....if I could figure out how :rofl:

Caught that Clark Howard thing where he mentioned DVR's use more power than most other things. Anyone know if that is true?

I wouldn't even know how to turn my DVR off :lol: :ph34r:

My poor electric bill went up $40 and the first thing I thought of was the DVR but the husband said it was probably due to the heat and the cycle was 2 extra days compared to the previous one.

Look at the label on the back of your DVR to see how many Watts or Amps it uses. My tivo draws 1 Amp, that's about 117 Watts. Multiply that by 24 hours in a day and you get 2808 Watt-hours, or 2.8 Kilowatt hours. The highest tier that I pay to Greystone power is 7.4 cents per kWh, so my tivo costs me about 21 cents a day to operate, or $6.42 a month. I'm not sure what my DirecTV DVRs draw but I'm going to look at them soon. I have a feeling that they probably draw more because they generate a lot of heat also. I started out here to prove that a DVR is not all that expensive to operate but now that I've done just part of the math, I'm beginning to reconsider. Since I have 2 TiVos going and 2 DirecTV DVRs also on all the time, I'm probably spending.....

Oops! I just stopped typing and did a search for power consumption of the DirecTV DVR and found several places that say it draws about 39 Watts. If that's true then I can't believe that the TiVo can be drawing that much more, so instead of going with what the labels say I'm going to break out my meters and measure all these things accurately. Everything I just wrote above may be wrong, but maybe it gives you a bit of an idea of the cost. I'll try to follow up when I get it all done correctly.

Look at the label on the back of your DVR to see how many Watts or Amps it uses. My tivo draws 1 Amp, that's about 117 Watts. Multiply that by 24 hours in a day and you get 2808 Watt-hours, or 2.8 Kilowatt hours. The highest tier that I pay to Greystone power is 7.4 cents per kWh, so my tivo costs me about 21 cents a day to operate, or $6.42 a month. I'm not sure what my DirecTV DVRs draw but I'm going to look at them soon. I have a feeling that they probably draw more because they generate a lot of heat also. I started out here to prove that a DVR is not all that expensive to operate but now that I've done just part of the math, I'm beginning to reconsider. Since I have 2 TiVos going and 2 DirecTV DVRs also on all the time, I'm probably spending.....

Oops! I just stopped typing and did a search for power consumption of the DirecTV DVR and found several places that say it draws about 39 Watts. If that's true then I can't believe that the TiVo can be drawing that much more, so instead of going with what the labels say I'm going to break out my meters and measure all these things accurately. Everything I just wrote above may be wrong, but maybe it gives you a bit of an idea of the cost. I'll try to follow up when I get it all done correctly.

Wow!!! You are a genius!! I had no idea how to figure out how much power something uses. The DVR box says 12v 2.5A whatever any of that means or should I look at what the command center box thingy says?

I'm interested in hearing what you find out!

oh and the non DVR box says 12v 1.67A

Command tower thingy with lights says 12v 2.9A

Hmmmm, my main DVR is 2.5 amps and the ones on the 5 other tvs are 1.67 each. That's a lot of math for someone as challenged as I. But it looks to be a lot of money.

Oh there I was running around looking at mine and you already wrote it out :lol:

I'm math challenged as well!

I have Carroll EMC and have no idea how much I pay per KWH.....I did take the total KWH and the bill total (before tax) and divided it. So if that is right then I guess I pay about .12 cents per KWH?

It says I'm Rate 1 whatever that means. Too bad it doesn't say haha

That's the extent of my work to figure this out. Numbers make my skull cramp.

There is no way to turn any of the boxes off. I just checked one in my guest room that I rarely use and it was hot underneath from running. Even if you power it off, it's still lit up and running. So I unplugged the punk. Grrrrrr. Now this is bugging me. My husband would laugh at me for stressing over pennies a day but now it's just the principle of the matter. When I say "Off" I mean "OFF!!!!"

Hey Bubba, how's that math thing coming along?

That's the extent of my work to figure this out. Numbers make my skull cramp.

There is no way to turn any of the boxes off. I just checked one in my guest room that I rarely use and it was hot underneath from running. Even if you power it off, it's still lit up and running. So I unplugged the punk. Grrrrrr. Now this is bugging me. My husband would laugh at me for stressing over pennies a day but now it's just the principle of the matter. When I say "Off" I mean "OFF!!!!"

Hey Bubba, how's that math thing coming along?

Yeah I don't mind unplugging stuff but I can't not have my internet. I go to school online half the time :)

And I'm afraid of the big box. It looks dangerous. Mean even haha

Bubba is my hero....I'm good at cleaning, cooking and science....math not so much.

Hey, both of you have cheaper rates than me. But Cobb EMC is kind enough to give a 5% discount if I pay early :rolleyes:

Oh no, I take that back. I pay a $9.95 service charge instead of that ugly $24 per month.

I'm just learning all kinds of useless shiznit today :drinks:

Edited by justgettingby

Oh man that is nice of them to give such a big discount :lol:

NC I don't think anyone mentioned having a hard time. There is noting wrong with being curious about how much power it uses especially after Clark Howard did a segment on it.

That is kinda like saying people who care about the price of gas, should give their cars back.

Oh man that is nice of them to give such a big discount :lol:

NC I don't think anyone mentioned having a hard time. There is noting wrong with being curious about how much power it uses especially after Clark Howard did a segment on it.

That is kinda like saying people who care about the price of gas, should give their cars back.

what? because your dvr gets you back and forth to work and school, and fetches your groceries?

when it was originally mentioned, it was about saving money on your power bill.

• Like 1

what? because your dvr gets you back and forth to work and school, and fetches your groceries?

when it was originally mentioned, it was about saving money on your power bill.

Saving money on a power bill doesn't mean someone is having a hard time, it just means in my case I'd rather spend the money on something else if it is indeed the DVR that is the cause of the increase versus the insanely hot summer.

Thanks for reminding me why I quit posting here, too many unhappy people that feel the need to attack others and put them down for senseless reasons.

I'm sorry if my question has hurt your life and ruined your day in some way. I pray your life and day improves.

the numbers on the back of the box on the label are maximum use. it is better to get a kill-a-watt (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001) and find out exactly how much a device is using

I'm all about saving money regardless of whether I can afford it or not. Rich people didn't get that way by throwing money away. If it meeans unplugging a few things in my house that I don't use to save me $10 a month, I'll do it. Why waste it?

That was pretty much my thinking. The DVR box sits for about 8 or 9 hours straight from the time the kids leave for school until they turn it on later in the day, so I figured if it DOES drain an obscene amount of power I'd just start unplugging it.

the numbers on the back of the box on the label are maximum use. it is better to get a kill-a-watt (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001) and find out exactly how much a device is using

:o :o

You do realize that I am going to go buy one of those things and start plugging things into it non stop right? :lol:

I've got 2 weeks off before my next classes start.....woohoo new hobby haha

I'm not familiar at all with Uverse equipment and didn't know that it was 12-volt and not 120-volt. Does it have a box that plugs into the wall and then a cord that runs up to the unit itself. If so, it may be 12-volt. Anyway, you just multiply Volts times Amps and that gives you Watts. 12 volts times 2.9 amps is 34.8 Watts. Multiply that by the number of hours that it is on and you get Watthours, (744 hours in a 31-day month times 34.8 watts is 25,891 watthours). Now divide that by 1,000 to get kilowatthours and you get 25.891 kWh - or let's say 26 kWh. Now multiply that by what your power company charges you for 1-kWh of electricity (my last bill was 7.4 cents per kwh). You're paying about $1.92 per month for your command tower thingy, and about $1.11 for each of the other boxes. It'll be a few cents more because the power supply that pulgs into the wall and supplies 12-volts for each of them wastes a little bit too.

I'm not familiar at all with Uverse equipment and didn't know that it was 12-volt and not 120-volt. Does it have a box that plugs into the wall and then a cord that runs up to the unit itself. If so, it may be 12-volt. Anyway, you just multiply Volts times Amps and that gives you Watts. 12 volts times 2.9 amps is 34.8 Watts. Multiply that by the number of hours that it is on and you get Watthours, (744 hours in a 31-day month times 34.8 watts is 25,891 watthours). Now divide that by 1,000 to get kilowatthours and you get 25.891 kWh - or let's say 26 kWh. Now multiply that by what your power company charges you for 1-kWh of electricity (my last bill was 7.4 cents per kwh). You're paying about $1.92 per month for your command tower thingy, and about $1.11 for each of the other boxes. It'll be a few cents more because the power supply that pulgs into the wall and supplies 12-volts for each of them wastes a little bit too.

You are a total mathlete! Where were you when I was taking my last math class? :lol:

Thanks for working that all out for me. Yeah there is 1 big box with lights, the 1 DVR/cable box plugs into the main box and the other boxes go somewhere....actually they probably feed to the main one too but I just don't see it because it goes through the basement.

So it seems like it would be about $7/month at the most maybe? That doesn't seem bad. I swear Clark Howard said it was more like $15 a month.

I'm afraid to see how much the computer uses!

You do realize that I am going to go buy one of those things and start plugging things into it non stop right? :lol:

yep, been there, done that, got several t-shirts to prove it :)

they are cheaper at harbor freight by the way

yep, been there, done that, got several t-shirts to prove it :)

they are cheaper at harbor freight by the way

I am addicted to Harbor Freight! They have one in Douglasville now. No idea how long it has been there but I noticed it the other day and have been twice now. My husband says he's going to take my car away if I keep bringing stuff home. First it was some metal stamp things, then a rock tumbler....next will be that Kill-A-Watt thing haha :)

You are MAGNIFICENT! Thank you for doing the math I could not do. Even though it's probably only a few bucks, I'll probably unplug a few anyway. I only use those boxes once every couple months. I completely appreciate the math involved because it made my head hurt just looking at it. Lemme know if you ever need a "Mayberry". I have a few to spare ;)

The whole point of a DVR is to stay on to record shows while you are not there to watch them. If you are going to unplug it to save $2 a month then send it back because it defeats its purpose.

I'm not unplugging the main DVR. With UVerse, the other FIVE boxes I have for each tv all use power and stay on needlessly. I'm unplugging those. But thanks for your input.

Edited by justgettingby

The whole point of a DVR is to stay on to record shows while you are not there to watch them. If you are going to unplug it to save $2 a month then send it back because it defeats its purpose.

I adore how everyone has the answers for everyone elses issues :lol:

First of alll, with AT&T you can't send it back. It is the same box that you get your stuff with. I don't know if they have any non DVR boxes.

Second of all, this may come of a shock but not everyone records shows or watches TV during the day.

Does me wondering how much power my DVR uses really bother so many people??

Is it going to alter the universe if I do decide to unplug it just to save $2?

:wacko:

I'm not unplugging the main DVR. But with UVerse, the other FIVE boxes I have for each tv all use power and stay on needlessly. I'm unplugging those. But thanks for your input.

I vote since everyone but us is so rich that they don't care about saving any money and love to waste money, that those same people pay for our U-verse.....whatcha think? :pardon: :lol:

I'm not unplugging the main DVR. With UVerse, the other FIVE boxes I have for each tv all use power and stay on needlessly. I'm unplugging those. But thanks for your input.

Put a power strip in each room and plug the TV, Uverse box and anything else nearby into it. That way you can easily cut the power strip off and kill everything.

I'm not familiar at all with Uverse equipment and didn't know that it was 12-volt and not 120-volt.

All of the uverse equipment has it's own transformer. They are similar to laptop power supplies that have 2 cords - one to the wall and the other to the device.

I imagine this is so the devices don't need to have built-in power supplies which means they'll run a little cooler than they would otherwise. Of course, they still tend to be on the hot side.