Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Rabbit

Medieval Times

My mother is trying to get me to go to Medieval Times with her in the near future and frankly I don't know of anyone who has ever been to this show. I surely have not but she went with my grandfather a few years ago and hasn't stopped talking about it.

Is it really all it's cracked up to be (for the drive and the price) or is it just another tourist trap for locals?

I've always wanted to go. At least once.

My daughter has been with the daycare where she works.

She said the kids really love it.

I think I will. I figured it would be a love it or hate it kind of thing. I was more worried about whether ADULTS will have fun, seeing as how there will be NO children with us. Just 50 something mom, and mid 20's me and hubba. Can I at least get my drink on there?

Pretty sure you can drink, beer and wine. Its fun to do once. I also enjoy a Ren Festival every now and then so take that for what it is worth

Pretty sure you can drink, beer and wine. Its fun to do once. I also enjoy a Ren Festival every now and then so take that for what it is worth

RenFest and I are besties. So hopefully I'll enjoy this. I think you guys helped me to make up my mind and make my RSVP a YES!

Thanks everyone for the input!!:drinks:

I've never been, but speaking from experience with numerous Ren faires and as a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism for many years, it is *imperative* that you're open to the corniness of it. If someone calls you 'm'lady,' play along! If a performer or server kisses your hand, enjoy it!

I'd like to go sometime and wear my SCA garb, just to get in the spirit of the thing. :)

We've been a few times on vacation--when we get cheap tickets. We got 4 adult tickets for $40 for sitting through a time share presentation. We took 2 17-year-olds--had a good dinner and a good time.

I've never been, but speaking from experience with numerous Ren faires and as a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism for many years, it is *imperative* that you're open to the corniness of it. If someone calls you 'm'lady,' play along! If a performer or server kisses your hand, enjoy it!

I'd like to go sometime and wear my SCA garb, just to get in the spirit of the thing. :)

I've never been to Medieval Times, but I was in the SCA for quite a while. Me and my buddy were both invited to do the live steel fighting at Ren fest and Medieval Times when it first opened, but we weren't into the stuff that much anymore when they were asking. I still have some of my garb and a lot of my armor. My ratan swords have long since disappeared but I still have my steel prop weapons and use them at Halloween...

If you look around on the web there is always a buy one get one free coupon. We went and had fun. Our take was, "this was fun, but I'm glad we didn't pay full price".

I loved it! My wife, and 23 year old daughter went. It was great fun, we all had a good time.

I don't know about paying full price to go again, but if I could get cheap tickets, I probably would.

I like it!!! I have been twice... I probably will not go back though because it is the same show year after year

Before they let you into stadium to sit, they have a bar and appetizers at the entrance while you wait. It is not a kid friendly environment.. People where drunk and stupid before we even went in. Food was gross you have to eat it with your hands and the show was similar to Renascence. We where very disappointed. Very cheesy show.

We love the Renascence Festival.

Edited by orrby

We are also members of the SCA and love the Ren Faire :wub: We've never been to Medieval Times, wearing garb would be a blast :)

I've never been to Medieval Times, but I was in the SCA for quite a while. Me and my buddy were both invited to do the live steel fighting at Ren fest and Medieval Times when it first opened, but we weren't into the stuff that much anymore when they were asking. I still have some of my garb and a lot of my armor. My ratan swords have long since disappeared but I still have my steel prop weapons and use them at Halloween...

Our daughter is Japanese in the SCA. She gets funny looks when she wears her garb in public lol. The boys all love the fighting part , but that's pretty much it. Hubby and I just go for the laughs and beer :drinks:

It's definitley something you should do at least once. We went about 5 years ago. The kids liked it and so did I. They didn't really like the food part which is why I probably wouldn't pay for us to all go again. I used to get e-mails from them with special deals. It seems like they have them going on quite often so I would look into that before paying full price.

Have fun!

Our daughter is Japanese in the SCA. She gets funny looks when she wears her garb in public lol. The boys all love the fighting part , but that's pretty much it. Hubby and I just go for the laughs and beer :drinks:

Not many people choose Japanese personas - I only saw a few in the days when my husband and I were active. Does she play frequently?

We went about a month ago, this was our fifth visit. We have attended the ones in Florida and South Carolina. I love the Tomato Bisque soup. My son is seventeen and has always had a wonderful time.

This was and remains my sons "reward" for getting on the Honor Roll 3 of 4 terms -- its a HUGE hit for kids, exciting dinner and show -- good food,, horses, fencing, battling - little boys love this stuff, but they play to the little princesses also -- WARNING -- PRE = SHOW DRINKS ARE $VERY $$$ Expensive!$$ -- Arrive just before showtime -- it is good old fashion fun!! Go at least once for a super reward (like us, it started as getting on the Honor Roll -- and He held us to us every year -- so it must mean something to the kids!!!

Hubby and I loved Medieval Times. We enjoyed the show a lot. The horses were beautiful and we thought the food and service were fantastic. The chicken, potato and bread were great and the iced tea and Tomato Bisque were awesome. :wub:

We went and enjoyed the show..I did not know though that you eat with your hands! No silverware- drinks helped though! LOL

LOL, don't take your own fork however, a guy tried that when we went and the king almost turned him over to the inquisition for investigation of his evil device! :ninja:

We enjoyed it the time we went with my folks. You might want to get there a little early, as I recall, they have lots of stuff to look at before the meal/show.

Go Blue Knight!! :yahoo:

SCA = Society for Creative Anachronism?

LOL, don't take your own fork however, a guy tried that when we went and the king almost turned him over to the inquisition for investigation of his evil device! :ninja:

We enjoyed it the time we went with my folks. You might want to get there a little early, as I recall, they have lots of stuff to look at before the meal/show.

Go Blue Knight!! :yahoo:

SCA = Society for Creative Anachronism?

Yep. My husband was an active member for many years (started in college), and I was a member for a while as well.

I'm assuming that they *do* give people spoons for the soup (?) Spoons are period, after all ... I wonder if they would freak out if I took my dagger to eat with ....

I've never been, so I don't know... but... if your Mother went a few years ago and hasn't stopped talking about it, then it seems like a no-brainer... do it for her. If she has a blast and you don't, at least you spent a few hours doing something that brought her some happiness. If you like it, sweet... everyone wins and you can make it a regular/annual thing. :)

• Like 2

Nice to see another SCA'er here as well. I'm inactive, but went my Ld. Edward de Molay when I played in Meridies in Talmere/Owl's Nest.

I've been there, and yeah its pretty cheezy. We only went as my wife's folks had bought tickets for a "family" outing there. I didn't wear my garb when I went. Just get there early to look at the items sitting around in the lobby, or the falcons/hawks/owl's there. Least when I went there was a master falconer there who had an owl and an osprey.

If enjoy things like the ren fair and want to get more into it, hook up with the SCA, you will find plenty of kindred spirits there. There's a groups in both Marietta/Kennesaw, Douglasville and Carrollton. All good folks.

Edited by Brad_W

Not many people choose Japanese personas - I only saw a few in the days when my husband and I were active. Does she play frequently?

Yes, and she also does archery combat. She went as far to teach herself Japanese. She's really into it. :)

Nice to see another SCA'er here as well. I'm inactive, but went my Ld. Edward de Molay when I played in Meridies in Talmere/Owl's Nest.

I've been there, and yeah its pretty cheezy. We only went as my wife's folks had bought tickets for a "family" outing there. I didn't wear my garb when I went. Just get there early to look at the items sitting around in the lobby, or the falcons/hawks/owl's there. Least when I went there was a master falconer there who had an owl and an osprey.

If enjoy things like the ren fair and want to get more into it, hook up with the SCA, you will find plenty of kindred spirits there. There's a groups in both Marietta/Kennesaw, Douglasville and Carrollton. All good folks.

We've attended Owl's Nest as well as a new branch in Douglasville. We've been attending in Douglasville more often lately ... as it's closer to us. :drinks:

I've never been, so I don't know... but... if your Mother went a few years ago and hasn't stopped talking about it, then it seems like a no-brainer... do it for her. If she has a blast and you don't, at least you spent a few hours doing something that brought her some happiness. If you like it, sweet... everyone wins and you can make it a regular/annual thing. :)

Solid advice, Chelle. I was sort of thinking the same thing. We could, however, do lots of other things with our time (she wants to go to the one in TN) and we have been known to blow up that state with our hijinks and antics. I mean, you can only expect that the mother of Jessica Rabbit is just as scandalous!:girl_devil:

Reading all the reviews, although not all totally positive, definitely makes me want to give this a try!!! Thank you everyone for the advice and experiences!!!!!!! You guys ROCK!

Yes, and she also does archery combat. She went as far to teach herself Japanese. She's really into it. :)

Very cool. I've always wished that there were more archers in the SCA - I think they lend a lot of authenticity to the war scenarios.

I'd love to see some photos of your daughter in her Japanese garb. You could blur her face if you don't like putting pictures of your child on the Internet - I know many people are uncomfortable with that.

Your name is familiar to me. I didn't attend many events because of my job, but you may know my husband - he was THL Martin Dragonet.

I went to Boarder Raids many years ago, (it was in Bowling Green, Kentucky) as a warrior monk from Mount Hiei, Japan. It was one of my best outfits and I got lots of compliments for it. We had a midnight tournament that year and the outfit was surreal in the torchlight... didn't do very well in the tourney though. Japanese personas use to be somewhat popular but a bit on the expensive side, for the armor at least. I was covered in robes so nobody could really see my modified German armor and helmet. Unfortunately I never got any pics, but to give an idea I have a illustration of about what the color and outfit looked like (the guy on the left)...

FP_Warrior20Monk20of20Mount20Hiei.jpg

here's a pic from the 1800's but by that time the sect had long be destroyed... (and I am considerably larger than this chap)

warrior_monk.jpg

Your name is familiar to me. I didn't attend many events because of my job, but you may know my husband - he was THL Martin Dragonet.

Name sounds familiar, but then again I haven't really played in over 10 years. I went to the Douglasville group a few months ago to see some old friends there, but that was about it. Used to be a rapier marshal and was seneschal of Talmere when we lived in Carrollton. We moved away and to be honest I think the politics burned me out more than anything else. It happens sometimes when you get pretty heavily involved in it (or any other activity).

Name sounds familiar, but then again I haven't really played in over 10 years. I went to the Douglasville group a few months ago to see some old friends there, but that was about it. Used to be a rapier marshal and was seneschal of Talmere when we lived in Carrollton. We moved away and to be honest I think the politics burned me out more than anything else. It happens sometimes when you get pretty heavily involved in it (or any other activity).

Your face looks familar. Did you ever go to any of the fighters practices back about ten years ago when they had them over at the Cobb Civic Center???

Your face looks familar. Did you ever go to any of the fighters practices back about ten years ago when they had them over at the Cobb Civic Center???

No, didn't go to any over there. Went to a few when they were at the Bells Ferry Park. But that was back when Curtis was seneschal there, then him and Kelly moved up to NC. I know I went to one when Just John got his AOA. I mostly fought rapier then, and likely would have run the thing, as at that time I was the only rapier marshal on this side of town. I am friends with CJ (Artemis) who was rapier marshal there for a bit. Wife and I had lunch with him about a month ago when he came out to buy some honey from me to make mead out of. Actually anxious to see how it turns out with the honey from my own beehives. I was in Duke Trelon/Duchess Varia's household till they split IRL. Trelon went back to Phoenix and Varia still lives in Carrollton and doesn't play anymore.

Very cool. I've always wished that there were more archers in the SCA - I think they lend a lot of authenticity to the war scenarios.

I'd love to see some photos of your daughter in her Japanese garb. You could blur her face if you don't like putting pictures of your child on the Internet - I know many people are uncomfortable with that.

I'll ask her if it's okay. She's almost 19 years old. Not so much a child anymore :(