Paulding.com

Every parent needs to take the time to write down on a piece of paper and put this info in the childs back pack. that way the child can always show that to a bus driver or teacher if need be.

childs name

address

phone number

and Parents name

• Like 2

I played a game with each of my kids when they were very young....3 and up ...

They had to tell me how to get home....where to turn. If they told me the wrong way I turned where they told me. They would say this is not right ... I would ask why and they had to problem solve to get us home.

We walked the neighborhood a lot, and they played with the neighbor kids...so they knew our area ... they did not just camp out inside the house in front of a TV.

I did this the first time I rode the bus. Only had a general idea of where I lived (this was back in the dark ages so no cell phones or bus communication). The bus driver rode around the area I thought I lived in until he saw my Mom freaking out on the side of the road about her lost child. I knew my address and my bus number (six) from then on.

I called my daughters bestfriend a last week and asked her what her address was and she said she didn't know it. I said walk to your mail box tell me the number and look up at the sign to your road. She is a 10th grader. She doesn't know her brother or sisters b-days nor the year her mother was born.

I called my daughters bestfriend a last week and asked her what her address was and she said she didn't know it. I said walk to your mail box tell me the number and look up at the sign to your road. She is a 10th grader. She doesn't know her brother or sisters b-days nor the year her mother was born.

Sad that this dosen't suprise me.

My DD's step sister, who is in Venture btw, thinks her Boxer is a Collie. Some kids are just dumb. :pardon:

Edited by jenilyn

FYI

Many of my 6th graders... (Many do, but many do not!!!)

do not know their address

have no phone numbers memorized

do not know they live in Paulding County

do not know the name of their state, country, etc

(they've heard the names but get mixed up on which is state, county, country, etc)

can't tell the months in order

can't read an analog clock

I have done a basic information quiz for the past 2 years and they tell me they haven't covered that info since kindergarten

This reminds me of a story....

A couple of years ago, I had to stand around with a busload of kids at the middle school because one of the elem buses was late. We heard from the driver that a kid didn't get off the bus at his stop and rode to the end of the route before telling the driver that his stop was passed. I was fuming mad and hot. I told the story to my sister later that day, only to discover that it was my nephew on the elem bus that was late to the middle school!!! We usually don't immediately see how our actions impact others, but I fussed him out real good when I saw him!

FYI

Many of my 6th graders... (Many do, but many do not!!!)

do not know their address

have no phone numbers memorized

do not know they live in Paulding County

do not know the name of their state, country, etc

(they've heard the names but get mixed up on which is state, county, country, etc)

can't tell the months in order

can't read an analog clock

I have done a basic information quiz for the past 2 years and they tell me they haven't covered that info since kindergarten

We'll be in deep doodoo in 20 yrs :wacko:

Exact reason why I changed my mind about letting my K daughter ride home after I dropped her off on 1st day. I wanted to look the driver in the eye so they would know she was my kid and where she lived.

Course it doesn't always work. A few times my kids have gotten on the wrong bus, but PC school have always brought them home safe, but late.

Yesterday she was late, but the bus had a "technical" problem before it could leave with the kids. Best part, the school answered on the first ring and had all the right answers. Kudos!

This is very common in kids. Many learn their address and phone in time to start kindergarten, and the parents assume that the kids have learned it for all time. Then two, three, four years later, go ask the kids, and they do not know the info. Parents never went back later to see if kids remembered it. Now, with memory call and cell phone address books, even teens and adults are challenged to remember info that they carry with them.

This is very common in kids. Many learn their address and phone in time to start kindergarten, and the parents assume that the kids have learned it for all time. Then two, three, four years later, go ask the kids, and they do not know the info. Parents never went back later to see if kids remembered it. Now, with memory call and cell phone address books, even teens and adults are challenged to remember info that they carry with them.

I understand why they don't know phone numbers and addresses like we did...BUT.. for safety reasons by middle school they should know their address and have at least 2 phone numbers memorized. When they get old enough that they are not within eyesight of a parent/adult at all times, they should be able to give contact information or call an adult if something happens to their phone.

I understand why they don't know phone numbers and addresses like we did...BUT.. for safety reasons by middle school they should know their address and have at least 2 phone numbers memorized. When they get old enough that they are not within eyesight of a parent/adult at all times, they should be able to give contact information or call an adult if something happens to their phone.

Oh, I agree completely. But these are not always priorities at home, sad to say. :(

As for phone numbers...unless they have changed it you can only call landlines from jail. No collect calling to cell phones.

I've been stranded somewhere without my cellphone and the only number I could remember was my friend's parent's house phone. He didn't even live there anymore, but I called it anyway and asked them to call him and for him to come get me, lol!