Paulding.com

Bad Dogs bad Dogs,

I have posted on here before, a number of times, about my neighbors and the dog war.

A short synopsis:

We have a neighbor, close (across the cul-de-sac) but not right next door.

They have a "bad dog." Yes, she is a Pit mix.

They also now have a younger dog--a full pit--who seems really sweet and timid UNLESS she is in the company of the mix, who is, and has been officially "certified" as a "vicious dog."

Some history--

This dog has trapped me in my yard and tried to bite me.

This dog has BITTEN one of my kids, unprevoked.

This dog has RIPPED APART one of my neighbor's pups.

This dog, just three weeks ago, tried to attack my husband IN OUR YARD.

So...there's a HUGE history, and Cobb County AC has been involved in all this.

So, fast forward to this morning.

At just past 7:00 am this morning, I let my pups out in our FENCED yard to do their morning business. I came back inside and did my shower thing. When I stepped out of the shower, I heard my dogs going ballistic in our back yard.

I went out and let them in.

That's when I saw that the neighbor's dogs were out...and they were looking for trouble.

I picked up the phone, and I called Cobb County AC. I explained the situation...these were dogs with a DOCUMENTED HISTORY of aggression, and they were out terrorizing our neighborhood.

The dispatch guy I spoke with explained to me then that they only had two officers covering all of Cobb County...I said well, OK, but we have a situation over here that could potentially be VERY BAD if someone didn't come and address it. He asked me if I would be here at home when the officer arrived. I said I would if their arrival was within reasonable limits...I have a job and I needed to go to work.

Meanwhile, I step outside, and I see the dogs. I yell at them to GO HOME!! and they snarl at me.

I come back inside, and I wait.

For almost 2 hours, I wait.

Cobb AC does NOT arrive in our neighborhood.

I have to go to work, right?

So, I get in my car, and head to work. I call CCAC on my cell phone.

I get the same dispatcher.

He tells me AGAIN, "We have only TWO officers covering the whole county."

"Ok," I say, "I am sorry to hear that you are understaffed. BUT...we have a PROBLEM over here, and you need to get someone over here NOW. I hope the next time I call you, it isn't to report that some child has been ripped apart. THESE ARE BAD DOGS!!!"

I drive on into work.

My son calls me a bit later to tell me all hell has broken loose over here. The dogs have attacked not one but TWO people, and have also attacked my neighbor's dog, who spent the whole day in the animal ER for the injuries she got from that attack.

Seriously?

What word could I have used differently than what I chose to use to help them understand the seriousness of this freaking situation?

Two humans and one sweet old dog were attacked HOURS after I first reported these dogs as being loose and threatening.

It was almost 4 hours later before AC arrived.

I am irritated. And the kicker?

One of the dogs is still there...the worst one. The owners have no plans to relinquish her to AC.

:angry2:

Edited by TabbyCat
  • Like 1

Trapping said dog. Handle with care, take to AC.

Oh, lets get the PC crap out of the way. Have you talked to irresponsible "owners?" You have??? Good, now let them know next time dog is out..........:ninja:

Edited by gog8tors
  • Like 1

Tabby, you are a better person than I. I don't think anything that you said to AC would have changed anything unless you told them the dogs were attacking someone. I hope that AC does something about this before a child gets killed. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Trapping said dog. Handle with care, take to AC.

Oh, lets get the PC crap out of the way. Have you talked to irresponsible "owners?" You have??? Good, now let them know next time dog is out..........:ninja:

Absolutely I have. For YEARS I have.

And AC pretty much told my neighbor whose dog was attacked when they couldn't secure the second dog on their visit, "If you feel threatened by this dog IN YOUR OWN YARD, you are justified to do WHATEVER YOU FEEL IS NECESSARY to stop the dog's aggression."

That says to me I may shoot said dog if I find it in my yard.

I'd rather not do that and I have tried all I can to allow the opportunity to handle this properly, but if AC won't handle this dog, I have few choices.

Hahaha.

Are you really such an a$$, or do you just play one on pcom?

That is such crap TC. Wasn't your son bit by that dog about 4 years ago? Is there nothing that can be done through your HOA? Cobb County will tell you to handle it, but I don't trust them not to arrest you if you did have to shoot the dog.

We horse people have a three-letter word for handling dogs on YOUR property that are threatening: SSS which stands for Shoot, Shovel, Shutup

Sorry, but any dog on MY property that bites or threatens my family or horses is soon to be no more. I have a big manure pile if you wanna compost the dog under it.

I love dogs... have 2 at this time but have owned many over the years. However, I have no tolerance for vicious dogs, regardless of breed--especially when the irresponsible owner has shown totally selfish disregard for other's safety. Then you Cowboy Up and git-r-gone.

Can the neighbors be made to turn the dog in? or does the AC leave it up to the owners to do that? I have to agree with some here... I would have to kill it if it came back in my yard.. we had a neighbor who had a pit bull who came in my yard and attacked one of my chin's.. we had to take her to the vet and she was put to sleep.. when I got home I called AC (paulding) and while waiting on them I went to the neighbor and told hem what had happened. and they did not believe me.. needless to say it got ugly.

I told them if i ever caught the dog in my yard again I would kill it and not think twice about it. they ended up moving so it did not come to that. but you better bet I would killed that dog if it had of came back in my yard again. when you talk to the dog owners, and call AC and nothing is done then it is left up to you to protect you and your pets in your yard.

If that dog bit someone than it has to be quarentined for 10 days unless it was the other one. Take a pic everytime the dog is out and keep calling. If the dog snarls once call 911 and tell them it is a agressive dog and they will get tires of it. They should also get tired of the ticckets that Cobb should be giving them.

Trust me everyone...if that dog comes in my yard again, I will kill it.

That decision was made when it took AC hours to get over here while meanwhile the dogs attacked two people and a sweet old dog.

I'm done with it. And I don't blame the dog. I feel badly for the dog. But I won't be terrorized in my own yard, and my concern is for the kids and other animals around here. My grandson, who is three, is over almost every weekend. He was here yesterday when all of this was going on, but thankfully he was asleep and in no danger.

I don't take any of this lightly, I assure you.

Damn. What a sorry situation. This one on the heels of NC's just chaps my arse. I agree with Mark...call 911 next time. Maybe if THEY have to deal with something AC should have taken care of, AC will be more responsive when you call next time. Aside from that, and coming from a total pet lover, I concur that shooting it would be totally legit if it comes in your yard again.

Hahaha.

Really? Insightful input. Thank you.

Cobb co. is huge, why in the world are there only 2 AC officers on call? Craziness.

Is the old sweet dog that got attacked ok? The 2 people?

The old dog will hopefully be OK. She has a drain in for the wounds and is being carefully watched. And the thing I didn't add? I was the first of four people who called AC about this situation. Two of the others were the people attacked, and the other was my neighbor whose dog was attacked. They don't have a fenced yard, but when they take their dogs out to do their business IN THEIR OWN YARD, they stand out there with them. The dogs do their business, and go right back inside.

The neighbor whose dog was attacked was of course out there when AC finally arrived. In the mean time, she had taken her dog to the vet for her injuries. When CCAC arrived...what do you think they did?

They gave her a $134 ticket for having her dog (who was ATTACKED!) outside off-leash when the incident occurred!

They didn't see the dog outside. The dog wasn't even there when they arrived. And yet, because she called them after her dog was attacked, THEY GAVE HER A FREAKING TICKET!!!

The people who were attacked, as far as I know, are fine. My neighbor told me that after the kid who owns the dogs got home, he went over and apologized to them. However, she said he was injured--the remaining dog BIT HIM ON THE ARM after he got home!

Argh.

This is a story for the news

I agree. If there is a history with AC, and the dog is certified as 'vicious', then Tabby Cat's call should have been made a priority with animal control. And the owner doesnt give a rip their dogs are terrorizing the neighborhood? Im glad I dont live there because I have no patience for that crap and those neighbors would hate me, because everytime I saw that dog out with no leash I would be at their front door letting them know to get their dog. EVERY time.

Frankly it never occurred to me to call the news, and of course, all the mayhem happened after I was already at work in Midtown.

I don't think it occurred to any of the other folks either--we all pretty much just wanted SOMEONE to come and handle the situation. And individually, none of us had all the other parts of the whole bigger picture.

My neighbor whose dog was attacked didn't even know I had already called AC when she called. The whole thing just snowballed, and no one person had the big picture, except of course, AC, who got all the calls.

sounds to me like you are a great witness for a lawsuit, and if said dogs sre truly that bad i cant believe they took that long to respond especially with documented attacks already.

I can't either. That's the part that just makes you shake your head and wonder, right?

Are you really such an a$$, or do you just play one on pcom?

The latter, actually. It's just fun to get the goats of the drama queens here.

By the way, just kill the dog. Don't involve the government in natural matters. Animals have a right to exist anywhere at any time, but you also have a right to defend yourself against their maliciousness as any other animal would. If it's directly harming you or your loved ones, take it out. Pissing and moaning changes nothing; action changes everything.

• Like 2

The latter, actually. It's just fun to get the goats of the drama queens here.

By the way, just kill the dog. Don't involve the government in natural matters. Animals have a right to exist anywhere at any time, but you also have a right to defend yourself against their maliciousness as any other animal would. If it's directly harming you or your loved ones, take it out. Pissing and moaning changes nothing; action changes everything.

Oddly enough, we agree.

If I have tried to color within the lines in this situation, you sir are wrong to fault me in any way.

At this point? It has become clear that I cannot trust the powers-that-be to properly handle this situation, and at this point? What I do next is all on me. I can handle that.

:)

After negotiations with our neighbors, and getting the whole neighbor involved. They put up a tall chain link fence with at least 18" of the fence under the ground. They had a previous fence, but the pit bull was digging under.

WE have been happy about how things have been handled.

After negotiations with our neighbors, and getting the whole neighbor involved. They put up a tall chain link fence with at least 18" of the fence under the ground. They had a previous fence, but the pit bull was digging under.

WE have been happy about how things have been handled.

Then I am happy for you.

All I'd like to see is our neighbors being responsible. Like yours were.

Mine aren't, and understand, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it was about 4 years ago that my son was bitten by one of these dogs. We have been dealing with this situation involving irresponsible pet owners living next door for YEARS. After I called AC on them the last time, they did act responsibly, and kept the dogs contained. It's just recently that they have dropped the ball.

I am patient and I am kind. As I said earlier, I don't blame the dogs. But I won't tolerate this situation if the dogs' owners won't take responsibility for the DOCUMENTED vicious dogs they own. There is no reason I should.

:)

Robert Frost said it best:

MENDING WALL

Robert Frost

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,

That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,

And spills the upper boulders in the sun,

And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.

The work of hunters is another thing:

I have come after them and made repair

Where they have left not one stone on a stone,

But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,

To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,

No one has seen them made or heard them made,

But at spring mending-time we find them there.

I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;

And on a day we meet to walk the line

And set the wall between us once again.

We keep the wall between us as we go.

To each the boulders that have fallen to each.

And some are loaves and some so nearly balls

We have to use a spell to make them balance:

'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'

We wear our fingers rough with handling them.

Oh, just another kind of out-door game,

One on a side. It comes to little more:

There where it is we do not need the wall:

He is all pine and I am apple orchard.

My apple trees will never get across

And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.

He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.

Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder

If I could put a notion in his head:

'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it

Where there are cows?

But here there are no cows.

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know

What I was walling in or walling out,

And to whom I was like to give offence.

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,

That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,

But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather

He said it for himself. I see him there

Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top

In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.

He moves in darkness as it seems to me~

Not of woods only and the shade of trees.

He will not go behind his father's saying,

And he likes having thought of it so well

He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

You'd think they would handle it then :unsure: When our friend moved and left us his dog and it bit my son, it was a no-brainer.

One would think, right?

I wasn't there so I don't know, but this is how the situation played out in my head:

Guy gets home and finds (as I have heard) $1,200 worth of tickets stuck to his front door, all because (primarily) of this one dog--the one AC couldn't apprehend (and I didn't explain WHY they only got one dog--this dog got back into the yard as AC was trying to apprehend it, and got into the house by a doggy door in their basement, and no one answered the door so they could seize the dog), and the dumb dude was pi$$ed. He proceeded to beat the dog (which is likely why she's so mean to begin with), and she bit him.

I don't KNOW that's how it went down, but I suspect what I imagined is correct.

Edited by TabbyCat

I don't KNOW that's how it went down, but I suspect what I imagined is correct.

How sad. If CCAC is writing fines like that they should be able to afford more officers on the road. I still can't believe they ticketed your other neighbor. Smh.

How sad. If CCAC is writing fines like that they should be able to afford more officers on the road. I still can't believe they ticketed your other neighbor. Smh.

I can't, either.

But I think they should wrap that fine into their vet bills for the dog who was attacked.

It seems like so much NONSENSE that they took four hours to come out on a vicious dog call and then ticketed the person whose dog was attacked. Seriously?

Frucked up. :angry:

The old dog will hopefully be OK. She has a drain in for the wounds and is being carefully watched. And the thing I didn't add? I was the first of four people who called AC about this situation. Two of the others were the people attacked, and the other was my neighbor whose dog was attacked. They don't have a fenced yard, but when they take their dogs out to do their business IN THEIR OWN YARD, they stand out there with them. The dogs do their business, and go right back inside.

The neighbor whose dog was attacked was of course out there when AC finally arrived. In the mean time, she had taken her dog to the vet for her injuries. When CCAC arrived...what do you think they did?

They gave her a $134 ticket for having her dog (who was ATTACKED!) outside off-leash when the incident occurred!

They didn't see the dog outside. The dog wasn't even there when they arrived. And yet, because she called them after her dog was attacked, THEY GAVE HER A FREAKING TICKET!!!

The people who were attacked, as far as I know, are fine. My neighbor told me that after the kid who owns the dogs got home, he went over and apologized to them. However, she said he was injured--the remaining dog BIT HIM ON THE ARM after he got home!

Does AC really think having your dog on a leash will save it from being attacked. I know that is not the reason for the leash but please, they need to pick a better battle.

Argh.

I can't, either.

But I think they should wrap that fine into their vet bills for the dog who was attacked.

YUp...and then they should include it all in their law suit against that neighbor and AC. The way both those parties handled that situation seems they were just waiting for someone to take legal action. BTW...I am normally not a law suit type person, but if something isn't done here someone may end up being seriously hurt or worse.

TabbyCat, I am sorry, I don't know what I did, my reply about the AC and the leash was not supposed to be added to your post. I obviously pushed the wrong button. I am so mad about the vicious dogs I am seeing red!

It seems like so much NONSENSE that they took four hours to come out on a vicious dog call and then ticketed the person whose dog was attacked. Seriously?

If I were the pet owner, I do believe I could make somebody at AC see light enough to delete that ticket. ;)

YUp...and then they should include it all in their law suit against that neighbor and AC. The way both those parties handled that situation seems they were just waiting for someone to take legal action. BTW...I am normally not a law suit type person, but if something isn't done here someone may end up being seriously hurt or worse.

I know, and that's what's sad.

And lawlady--when my neighbor was issued the ticket, she was understandably upset. But she told the AC folks when the issued the ticket, "FINE. I'll pay the ticket. But what you are failing to understand is that this dog was five feet from my back door, I was RIGHT THERE, and IF I'd been tethered to that dog by a leash, I would have ALSO been attacked!"

I just don't get any of this. It ought to be pretty simple, right? Bad dog, bad owners, DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM.

Argh. It all just makes me so angry, especially when there has been a well-documented history of aggression.

There's so much more--it's not elegant to share it all when you have to type it out. But 5 years ago almost to the day when my neighbors were murdered, the cops wanted to search this house where these dogs live. It is directly across the street from where the murders happened. On that day, the dog was loose, and she attacked a police officer.

There is such a history here of aggression. I can't even begin to understand why the call I made early yesterday morning wasn't taken seriously--AND--all of the attacks occurred AFTER my initial call.

It's just so frustrating.

Edited by TabbyCat