Paulding.com

I need a new pediatrician

My son developed swimmer's ear and home remedies and pain relievers were not working so I called the pediatrician's office when they opened and got a 10:15 appointment. I sat in the waiting room for 1 hour 20 minutes looking at the peeling wallpaper and paint, chips in wall,chairs falling apart, torn up columns because there was nothing to look at other than webmd magazines, advertisement brochures for the bible story and health books and spanish language magazines. At 11:35 or so I was taken back to a room at the very back. By this point my son's pain reliever is wearing off and 30 minutes goes by and no one comes. Again, all there was to look at was Bible Story samples and spanish language magazines. At this point, after being there nearly two hours I'm thinking I'd be better off going to the clinic at Walgreens, at least I can BUY something to drink and eat and a magazine in English to read along with some pain medicine for my son while I wait, I get a brochure and write out my complaints and walk up to discharge and tell them after 2 hours I'm leaving and would like my co-pay back. Well you should have seen the looks on there faces!! I got to speak to the office manager,told her what was going on. She gave me my co pay back and I told I was leaving unless someone could see my son NOW! Well , ten minutes later I had seen a DR., gotten my prescription that I needed to clear the infection up and I was leaving. Sad thing though the lady I was sitting next to in the waiting room with a premie baby that weighted 4 pounds that had just gotten called back right before me had had a 9:50 appointment and had waited nearly 2 hours in the waiting room plus more in the back. I guess she was just too tired to complain.

So does anyone know of a pediatrician that has a nice waiting room, with something to read in English and won't make you wait 2 hours or am I expecting too much???

Sounds to me like you're one of them troublemakers and just expect too damn much.

:D :D :D

(Good for you for standing up to them. Yes, I know they are busy. But some things defy any excuse.)

I had even put on the letter that customer perception does matter in looking at the waiting room and it would not matter if they had the best DR's in the world no one beleive it.... Yes I know times are tough, but geesh, a paint job and a few "new" used chairs would do wonders for the place. The way a place looks and feels says a lot about a DR and how he/she views the patient. I am fortunate that my child is pretty healthy and we have not been to the DR. more than once or twice a year after the 1st year of his life and we had not been there in almost a year. What a difference...

I was reading an article the other day about people starting to charge doctors who make them wait. Some doctors actually pay their patient or reduce fees if they are running behind. Time is money. They certainly charge us if we have to cancel. More people do need to stand up ... Good for you :drinks: I'm sorry your son is in misery. My daughter had swimmers ear a few years ago. I know how painful it is :(

Just wanted to add that we switched to a family practice doc instead of a pediatrician years ago. I got tired of my healthy kids coming home sick from waiting for hours in a crowded waiting room full of sick kids. We see Dr. Neau in Temple. Nice, open waiting room which is never even close to full and a MUCH less wait.

Good for you! If more people would get up and walk out I bet the doctors would start doing a better job of scheduling appts. I can understand if this happens if there is an emergency or a very sick patient but if it happens more than once, I am outta there! I have no patience. If I have been in the back for 15 minutes with no Dr. coming in, I will open the door and start looking up & down the hall asking the nurses if he is running behind or what. That usually gets their attention. I don't like to feel like I have been put in a room and forgotten about. Maybe I am asking too much but I DO have other things that I could be doing.

I was reading an article the other day about people starting to charge doctors who make them wait. Some doctors actually pay their patient or reduce fees if they are running behind. Time is money. They certainly charge us if we have to cancel. More people do need to stand up ... Good for you :drinks: I'm sorry your son is in misery. My daughter had swimmers ear a few years ago. I know how painful it is :(

That is funny.. a few months ago my husband had an appointment and the office had already told him if he was late or canceled his appointment under 24 hours he would be charged for it. his appointment was running 1 hour behind... so when he did get back there to see the doctor he told him that the next time he would charge him for making him wait.. his time was just as valuable as his (the doctors) the doctor laughed... but my husband told him he was serious. he could understand running a little behind but an hour was crazy and from now he would send him a bill for the time he waits in the waiting room..

My son developed swimmer's ear and home remedies and pain relievers were not working so I called the pediatrician's office when they opened and got a 10:15 appointment. I sat in the waiting room for 1 hour 20 minutes looking at the peeling wallpaper and paint, chips in wall,chairs falling apart, torn up columns because there was nothing to look at other than webmd magazines, advertisement brochures for the bible story and health books and spanish language magazines. At 11:35 or so I was taken back to a room at the very back. By this point my son's pain reliever is wearing off and 30 minutes goes by and no one comes. Again, all there was to look at was Bible Story samples and spanish language magazines. At this point, after being there nearly two hours I'm thinking I'd be better off going to the clinic at Walgreens, at least I can BUY something to drink and eat and a magazine in English to read along with some pain medicine for my son while I wait, I get a brochure and write out my complaints and walk up to discharge and tell them after 2 hours I'm leaving and would like my co-pay back. Well you should have seen the looks on there faces!! I got to speak to the office manager,told her what was going on. She gave me my co pay back and I told I was leaving unless someone could see my son NOW! Well , ten minutes later I had seen a DR., gotten my prescription that I needed to clear the infection up and I was leaving. Sad thing though the lady I was sitting next to in the waiting room with a premie baby that weighted 4 pounds that had just gotten called back right before me had had a 9:50 appointment and had waited nearly 2 hours in the waiting room plus more in the back. I guess she was just too tired to complain.

So does anyone know of a pediatrician that has a nice waiting room, with something to read in English and won't make you wait 2 hours or am I expecting too much???

My grandson has wellcare, and I have been through a bunch of bad doctors. I finally found a great doctor just across the street from the hospital in Villa Rica on 61. Her name is Dr. Josephine Ediele and the practice is called Westcare Pediatric. She is an intelligent caring human being, besides being a really good doctor. She listens to you as the parent (after all, who knows the child better?) The office is clean, although old, and well maintained. There are things for the kids to do. All of the staff are patient and helpful. They always fit me in if I have an emergency, and never make me wait long. Their nurse practioner, and associate doctor are just as good at what they do, as Dr. Ediele is. If you are looking for a great doctor and staff, and a positive experience with a pediatrician,try her out.

We went to our pediatrition today. We were a few minutes early and were taken back a couple of minutes before our appointment time. We saw the doctor within 10 minutes of being taken back. We were done completely within 30 minutes of showing up. And we were in a nice new office. But, I drive to Dunwoody for my ped. Don't think I could handle your experience. We go to Dunwoody Pediatrics if you are willing to drive, they are worth it.

We use Dr. Beckford. She is up on South Cobb drive now, just past the EW Connector. I could go to her Austell office (I actually pass it on the way to SC) as a whole the group is wonderful. I have never had to wait more then 15 minutes for my appointment. We are in and out in no time. She is with Wellstar Cobb pediatrics. We have used her from the first day that DS was born, 11 years ago. Awesome doctors, awesome building, just an all around great place.

Bring your own book. Dr's Office magazines are infested with germs. Yuck!

I KNOW!!! I always feel like I need to walk through one of those sci-fi freeze-dry the outer layer of your skin off showers when I leave. :blush:

I KNOW!!! I always feel like I need to walk through one of those sci-fi freeze-dry the outer layer of your skin off showers when I leave. :blush:

There were maybe 2-3 Parenting mags in the sick area. I wouldn't get those as I was in the other section. Swimmers ear is not infectious, sure not going to go to the DR. to pic up germs..

We use Dr. Beckford. She is up on South Cobb drive now, just past the EW Connector. I could go to her Austell office (I actually pass it on the way to SC) as a whole the group is wonderful. I have never had to wait more then 15 minutes for my appointment. We are in and out in no time. She is with Wellstar Cobb pediatrics. We have used her from the first day that DS was born, 11 years ago. Awesome doctors, awesome building, just an all around great place.

I totally agree about Dr. Beckford. She has been my kids pediatrician forever. The oldest of my kids is 18 now, and she always asks about him by name if we go in with one of my other two. She knows her patients so well. One time we had to wait. I asked the receptionist when we would be seen, and she said "When they are ready for you." Dr. Beckford heard her, and imediately took us back. After that, I never saw that receptionist again.

West Atlanta Pediatrics is the best!!! Our kids LOVE Chad, and they also like Dr Young. Definately give them a call!!

This is who I was going to suggest. I LOVE Dr. Young. I've never seen Chad, though. I am a new mom, and you can imagine all the worrying I have had... Dr. Young always put me at ease. He is very down to earth and I just love him. CarolineElizabeth recommended him and I am so glad she did. He is in Dallas on 120 right near 92. He also has an office in Villa Rica on Thorton Rd.

Also, never waited more than 10 minutes or so, even when they squeezed me in the day I wanted to know why BabyB wouldn't stop crying (the answer was 'cause he's a baby. with colic, LOL)

Edited by MrsB
  • Like 1

This is who I was going to suggest. I LOVE Dr. Young. I've never seen Chad, though. I am a new mom, and you can imagine all the worrying I have had... Dr. Young always put me at ease. He is very down to earth and I just love him. CarolineElizabeth recommended him and I am so glad she did. He is in Dallas on 120 right near 92. He also has an office in Villa Rica on Thorton Rd.

Also, never waited more than 10 minutes or so, even when they squeezed me in the day I wanted to know why BabyB wouldn't stop crying (the answer was 'cause he's a baby. with colic, LOL)

Dr Young is awesome!! The staff is good too. We have been there 7 years.

I :wub: Dr. Roger Sisk (near the Avenues).

I like that he asks my daughter questions about how she's feeling (she's 4) and listens to her. I rarely have to translate.

His staff is amazing and when I call with questions, they always follow up to see how my daughter is doing.

• Like 1

My first choice is Dr. Sisk! Due to an insurance change we started going to West Atlanta Peds! Awesome group!! We have been with them for 6 years and have rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes of walking in the door to be called back. My daughter loves Chad & Dr. Young. Always take the time to listen to my concerns as well as answer any questions mini me has for them. :)

My grandson has wellcare, and I have been through a bunch of bad doctors. I finally found a great doctor just across the street from the hospital in Villa Rica on 61. Her name is Dr. Josephine Ediele and the practice is called Westcare Pediatric. She is an intelligent caring human being, besides being a really good doctor. She listens to you as the parent (after all, who knows the child better?) The office is clean, although old, and well maintained. There are things for the kids to do. All of the staff are patient and helpful. They always fit me in if I have an emergency, and never make me wait long. Their nurse practioner, and associate doctor are just as good at what they do, as Dr. Ediele is. If you are looking for a great doctor and staff, and a positive experience with a pediatrician,try her out.

She is my kids doctor to. WE LOVE EVERYONE THERE.

I think I know which office this is.. If they are in Douglasville and Villa Rica I'm sure of it. They were my pediatricians from the time I was born (29 years ago) until I was 17 or so. I absolutely love the docs but I don't think I can stand the office conditions and lack of time management much longer.

So you call your kid's doctor first thing in the morning with an emergency, they agree to fit you in the same day within a couple of hours and you have to WAIT for the doctor to finish seeing other patients who probably made appointments in advance?! Poor princess. Try Grady next time.

Years ago, when I was living in NY, my GF was running a high fever and we went to the ER. We were there for over two hours and still hadn't even been checked in. kept trying to get someone to check her in and look at her, in the mean time a guy with a sprained wrist was seen and a girl with a sore foot was seen. So finally after she had fallen asleep I went up to the counter and told them she was having a seizure and lost consciousness. Then they rushed to look at her, she was diagnosed with a UTI with kidney stones. And then the staff started threatening me because they realized I made up the seizure story. But at leat I was able to get her looked at.

So you call your kid's doctor first thing in the morning with an emergency, they agree to fit you in the same day within a couple of hours and you have to WAIT for the doctor to finish seeing other patients who probably made appointments in advance?! Poor princess. Try Grady next time.

I know my dr and the peds that my children saw would only set up sick visits on the day that you call. You better call first thing also or you will not get in. So I could call before for a appt weeks away but I would have no idea when to set it up since I dont know when I am going to be sick. If you call and they are full already for that day and ask to set appt. for next day they say sorry call in the morning.

I love Dr. Davallier at East Paulding Peds. Give them a try - I've had to wait more than 10 minutes to get called back ONCE in the 4+ years that we have been using them, but they warned me about it when I got there and offered to reschedule if I needed to.

Hi-Jack....

I am so sorry. That was one of the worst and longest 9 weeks ever. Especially when I started back to work after 6 weeks. Hope its getting better or gone!

end hijack

I don't know which office you're talking about, but I take my daughter to West Cobb Pediatrics. I switched to them when she was 2 months old because I didn't like the original one we signed on with near Marietta. I have always been called back promptly for my appointments. I also have had to get her in for same day visits twice, and they worked me in without a wait. The staff are always friendly, and we see a female doctor there, but I'm not sure about her name (bad mom).