Paulding.com

Test calls to 911

I know that you shouldn't call 911 for anything other than an emergency but ever since I got VOIP phone service (Vonage, which I love) I've never been sure if a 911 call would be properly routed or not. I also would like to be sure if a call from my cell phone at home would go to the right place. Is it OK to make just a couple of calls to test things out, or would that be abuse of the system?

Call their non emergency line and ask if now is a good time for you to try it out. If they aren't seriously busy (don't call at 10pm on a Friday, :D ) they will be usually be fine with letting you call right back and answer it for a test 911 call. If they're busy,they may just want you to call back at a later date.

I was programming a button on my phone for 911 and it dialed it. I immediately hung up and they immediately called me back. I apologized and told the lady on the phone what I was doing and she verified my address and phone number while I was on the phone. She was very nice about it.

I would be more than happy to address your question. The earlier post is correct. If you will call the non-emergency number, 770-445-2117, during non-peak hours which are generally after 2:00 am and before 10:00 am, a supervisor can approve a test call depending on staffing and current call volume. While we don't encourage testing of telephone lines, we recognize there are situations that warrant such testing. We don't accept 911 test calls from a cellular telephone to determine routing because of the way cellular 911 calls are routed. Cellular 911 calls may not connect to the 911 Center in your county. These calls are routed based on the location of the cell tower that first receives the signal. 911 calls from a cellular telephone are processed completely different from a land line telephone because they are not tied to a fixed address; however, every 911 Center has policies in place to handle transfers of these types of calls to the appropriate PSAP. That is one of the reasons you will hear us ask on each cellular call "Are you in Paulding County?". I hope this helped answer your question.