Paulding.com

Has anyone had any experience with going to Mexico to have dental work done. My sister is looking into doing this and I just wondered what kind of experiences anyone has had. If you have and can recommend how we go about doing this sort of thing I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I have a friend who went. Had some trouble afterward that his local dentist had to clean up. Seems that they didn't use (or have) the proper adhesive or glue or something. I'm such a dental chicken that I would never go anywhere like that - the thought just scares the heck outta me. But, to each his own...

I've heard Costa Rica was good too. Surepip's daughter might be able to give you info about dental care in Mexico?

I would recommend Sexton Dental Clinics in SC. I know several people who have used them and were extremely happy with the service and price. They were the original one day dental clinic to do extractions and provide dentures. Here is one of the locations:

Sexton Dental Clinic

377 West Palmetto Street

Florence, South Carolina 29501

(843) 662-2543

They also have a location in Myrtle Beach. She can go up for a few days vacation and then stay a couple days after the work to make sure there are no problems. If gotta have dental work she might as well do it in a beautiful place and make the best of it. ;)

What type of work is she needing? She needs to keep in mind that ALL dental work, no matter what it is, needs routine check-ups! If she is having fillings, crowns or bridges, the margins needs to be checked every 6 months to make sure there is no decay/cavity. That is why it is imperative that EVERYONE goes to the dentist every 6 months, it's more than just a cleaning! If she is having implants, I would be VERY leery!! Implants are major surgery (I have one, I know what is involved) and the posts have to be placed perfectly. Some people need bone graphs prior to the implant being placed.

Maybe it's just me since I worked in the dental field, but I would never go out of the country to have work done. I would find a local dentist that I feel comfortable with that will do a PROPER treatment plan to be done in the proper order....if they do implants, or even crowns, but she has gum disease, it could be VERY BAD and ALL work may have to be redone. If gum disease is involved, deep cleanings need to be done which is not done in a day, but usually takes weeks. Half of the mouth gets numb and deep cleaned then a week or 2 later the other half of the mouth gets done. The gums have to heal fully before cosmetic or restorative work can be done. I would think an out-of-country dentist would not do things in the proper order.

If she is going to save money, but it is not done properly, it could cost MUCH more in the long run!

Edited by nowens98
  • Like 1

The "system" here created the ridiculous prices. Many doctors are leaving the country and going to where they can afford to practice and serve more people by offering care at a fair fee. Many of these are educated, board certified, and dually licensed in the US.

I am actually looking into Costa Rica for dental work for my husband as well.

Dr. Benge

We saw dentists working behind curtains, in what can only be called flea market conditions, just over the Mexican border. Scary doesn't even describe it. We also saw the "pharmacies" filling prescriptions for elderly Americans. They were limited in the amt. of pills they could take out, but were sold 10 times the amount. The border guard made them go back outside on Mexican side, count out the limit, and dump the rest. Very sad and frightening. I would NEVER consider any medical procedures or medical products from Mexico, unless I had a reliable connection in a reputable city...and probably not then.

We saw dentists working behind curtains, in what can only be called flea market conditions, just over the Mexican border. Scary doesn't even describe it. We also saw the "pharmacies" filling prescriptions for elderly Americans. They were limited in the amt. of pills they could take out, but were sold 10 times the amount. The border guard made them go back outside on Mexican side, count out the limit, and dump the rest. Very sad and frightening. I would NEVER consider any medical procedures or medical products from Mexico, unless I had a reliable connection in a reputable city...and probably not then.

just curious as to what city you are referring to. I lived in juarez for many years. most of the dentists i was aware of, and who catered to americans, were educated in american schools. and as far as the pharmacies go, i guess you spent a lot of time waiting at customs watching people get sent back (which is VERY doubtful, since you cannot just hang out there) and further more the amounts of non class a pharmaceuticals that you can bring back are posted all over the place. if someone didn't bother to find this out before attempting a border crossing i can't blame the pharmacy, but blame the idiot who didn't do their research and bought too much.

actually i prefer the mexican medical system in a lot of ways. if i have a condition that requires antibiotics i would much rather go to a pharmacy and spend $2 for 10 days worth of the same keflex i can get here, rather than having to spend $95+ to get a doctor to look at me for 3 minutes to determine that i do need an antibiotic and write a prescription.

when my daughter was born there the hospital bill, including an overnight stay for both child and mother, was 2250 pesos......at the time it was roughly $180 us. same, if not better, quality of care.