Paulding.com

Curfew laws?

I understand the graduated driver's license curfew laws and know a minor can't drive after midnight until he turns 18 AND upgrades his license with the State. What I am trying to figure out is whether there is a general curfew that prohibits minors (17 and younger) from being out in public after a set time within the state of Georgia. I have found cities in the state of Georgia that have curfew laws. The City of Powder Springs has a curfew for minors. However, I cannot find anything specific to the unincorporated areas of Cobb or Paulding county. There are provisions for curfews during times of emergency. Google searches lead to sites like wikianswers that are not dependable and give general answers such as "11 p.m on school nights and 12 a.m. on weekends" but provide no basis for the answer.

When I search the Georgia Code of Laws (Annotated) all I can find are references to juvenile proceedings which leads me to believe those laws are directed at juvenile offenders who have been issued a curfew by a judge. I could be wrong on that, though.

Can someone please explain curfew laws and document with links? I'd appreciate an answer from a law enforcement officer familiar with this issue. I may write to my county commissioner tomorrow to ask about this.

I've always understood that you cannot be out past midnight without parental supervision until you are 18.

I found the following on a website with some info, which looks about right:

O.C.G.A. 15-11-2 (12) (E) states an Unruly Child is any child who Wanders or loiters about the streets of any city, or in or about any highway or any public place, between the hours of 12:00 Midnight and 5:00 A.M.

Thansk, that may be the answer right there. I still have questions about it. If the minor is in a car with an 18 year old driver who has his Class C license going somewhere specific does that constitute wandering and loitering? Is it the wandering and loitering that makes it an offense to be out after midnight? Does it have to be a parent or can it be an adult, 18 or over who, with parental consent, assumes supervision of the minor? I'll have to go look for the definition of wandering and loitering.

It totally depends on the totality of the circumstances and the conduct involved. Loitering or wandering is generally interperted as "for no legitimate purpose". If the parent is aware of the child's location, if another adult guardian is present, and if there is a legitimate reason for the conduct is a huge factor.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

Thansk, that may be the answer right there. I still have questions about it. If the minor is in a car with an 18 year old driver who has his Class C license going somewhere specific does that constitute wandering and loitering? Is it the wandering and loitering that makes it an offense to be out after midnight? Does it have to be a parent or can it be an adult, 18 or over who, with parental consent, assumes supervision of the minor? I'll have to go look for the definition of wandering and loitering.

I don't remember all of the specifics, I worked with DJJ for a while, but it's been several years now, but I'll give you a real life example that may answer your question.

During my senior prom, a car heading back from our prom location, which was somewhere in Cobb county (I skipped the mess), was stopped by police (not sure which dept, this was in 05) at a road block. The kids weren't loitering, where they stopped was directly between the interstate and the home of the first teen that was being dropped off. It was about 12:15 on a Friday night. The driver was 18, as was one other passenger, but the two other passengers were 16 and 17. The police made the 16 and 17 year old call their parents, and made the parents come get them. I believe the kids just got a ticket, and I'm not sure what, if anything, happened to the 18 year olds.

Edited by Adam&Jessica
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but like the OP I couldn't find anything in my google search. The curfew is 12 on weekends and 11 during the week?? Is that correct? Also does anyone know what punishment is given to violators? Any experiences with your teens regarding this?

TIA

Call the non-emergency number for the Sheriff's Dept and ask. I bet someone there can give you a link to look it up. 770-445-2117

I know this is an old topic but like the OP I couldn't find anything in my google search. The curfew is 12 on weekends and 11 during the week?? Is that correct? Also does anyone know what punishment is given to violators? Any experiences with your teens regarding this?

TIA

I don't know the punishment but I do know that "SOME" Paulding County Officers enforce this.

2 weeks ago I drove my 17 year old son to Kroger to run in and pick something up.

I watched as an officer approached him on the sidewalk and saw my son point to me.

The officer then tipped his hat and went on.

When my son came to the car he said the officer informed him that it was passed curfew and that he would have to contact his parents, that is when the kid pointed to me and the officer told him to continue on.

2 of my neighbors kids sneaked out of their homes and went to another subdivision off Ivy Gulledge to see a girl. On their way back home (walking mind you) they got busted at 3 in the morning. The officers brought them each home. They had to go to court and they each paid some kind of fine.

TIA

2nd post in this thread gave you the answer......OCGA 15-11-2