Paulding.com

I used dish soap on my tomatoes!

My uncle was a gardening wiz, and he always used dish soap to ward off bugs, Turns out that today, dish saop is mainly detergent! It burned the leaves-BAD. Does anyone know if the plant will come back? I rinsed everything really good, and leached the remaining soap out of the dirt. They look terrible, and I feel worse. Two months of hard work down the drain (not to mention no "mater sandwiches!!!) Times are tough, and I was counting on the food I could grow to help feed us. I AM A DUMB A-----!!!!! Any nfo would be appreciated-I'm sick with worry-to late now I guess. that will teach me to think I know something!!

I gave no idea how to correct that. but.....in a few weeks I'll have plenty of maters to share!

I'd appreciate it-keep me in mind. If my grandson has to depend on me to grow food to feed him, he's in trouble!

My uncle was a gardening wiz, and he always used dish soap to ward off bugs, Turns out that today, dish saop is mainly detergent!

There's a possibility that dish soap might still work, *provided* you got the stuff that doesn't have bleach or antibacterial chemicals in it.

Good luck saving your tomato plants!

The dish soap should be very diluted and should never be used during the daytime with direct sunlight to keep from burning the plant.....early morning or very late afternoon is the time to put any type of repellent on......My grandmother used dish soap also if she didn't have "rubbing alcohol". That she sprayed directly on the plants to get rid of aphids.

My uncle was a gardening wiz, and he always used dish soap to ward off bugs, Turns out that today, dish saop is mainly detergent! It burned the leaves-BAD. Does anyone know if the plant will come back? I rinsed everything really good, and leached the remaining soap out of the dirt. They look terrible, and I feel worse. Two months of hard work down the drain (not to mention no "mater sandwiches!!!) Times are tough, and I was counting on the food I could grow to help feed us. I AM A DUMB A-----!!!!! Any nfo would be appreciated-I'm sick with worry-to late now I guess. that will teach me to think I know something!!

Did you mix the detergent with water & spray it on there. It shouldn't hurt them if you diluted it.

What time of day did you do this? You need to do it in the evening because otherwise the sun will hit the soap and does indeed burn the leaves.

Next time - just a little Ivory soap. Probably one part soap to three or four parts water. It is very gentle.

I wouldn't hold out much hope if the entire plant is burned. Continue to water and care for them and you'll know in a few days.

Thank-you all for the help and kind words!! Thought I'd lose my mind when I woke up and found everything shriveling! I did dilute it (about a tablespoon in a quart of water), and sprayed late in the day. Still, they burned anyway! I got to them before 10:00, and sprayed the heck out of them with just water, until there was no more suds. Then I continued to leach the soil. I kept it up all day. The marigolds are burned too, and all the leaves haven fallen off the peppers. I can see some new leaves that look ok on the peppers-maybe they will come back. The squash has some damage, but not as bad as the tomatoes. The tomatoes that got early morning sun are fried, but the others may come back. If anybody has to many of anything, I sure would appreciate it, and return the favor (somehow) Don't know how the asparagus or sweet onions will do. I planted them for next year. You know, I've lived here for 14 years now, and have not had any help from anyone. Then I joined Pcom, and all of a sudden there are people to talk to and ask questions of. I like that. Its no fun being all alone sometimes- I'm not boo-hooing-just saying. Thanks everyone!

... Hope I don't mess up my new little chickens like I messed up my plants! They are so cute ( but smelly!!) Got the big dog pen, and hope to make a decent chicken coop out of it. Any suggestions for this dummy on chickens?

There are a number of very good websites about 'backyard' chickens - do all the reading you can. And watch out for critters that will try and steal your chickens!

Just wanted to introduce the "other me"-I'm also on here as PCS-charli. This is my commercial or business site - call if you need any advice on repairs ( not gardening!!!) I can do that really well -not like with my tomatoes. Not ready to LOL over that one yet ! Hope I don't mess up my new little chickens like I messed up my plants! They are so cute ( but smelly!!) Got the big dog pen, and hope to make a decent chicken coop out of it. Any suggestions for this dummy on chickens?

They will need an enclosed coop they can go inside of at dusk. It should have a nest box for every 4-5 hens. It will need heat in the winter, both to keep the hens warm and to keep them in egg production.

A scratch area, feeder and drinker, and as mentioned before, an area, like a fenced dog pen to keep out predators.

They will need an enclosed coop they can go inside of at dusk. It should have a nest box for every 4-5 hens. It will need heat in the winter, both to keep the hens warm and to keep them in egg production.

A scratch area, feeder and drinker, and as mentioned before, an area, like a fenced dog pen to keep out predators.

I have been thinking about the chicks / eggs. Especially since I found out they are good at getting rid of yard bugs. I have a 6' privacy fence with dogs enclosing 1/2 acre.. Plenty of room little chance of a ground predator from getting in. So here is my question, has anyone hed experience with the dogs mixed with chickens. I have 2 Labs and an Akita. I worry more about the Akita. They are dog agressive, she is real laid back and the Female Lab seems more upset with her than vice versa, but what about chickens? Or is this something that will cause more grief than reward?

I have been thinking about the chicks / eggs. Especially since I found out they are good at getting rid of yard bugs. I have a 6' privacy fence with dogs enclosing 1/2 acre.. Plenty of room little chance of a ground predator from getting in. So here is my question, has anyone hed experience with the dogs mixed with chickens. I have 2 Labs and an Akita. I worry more about the Akita. They are dog agressive, she is real laid back and the Female Lab seems more upset with her than vice versa, but what about chickens? Or is this something that will cause more grief than reward?

I don't know if this will help, because it comes down to the individual dog, but I had a Pit -bul/Akita mix that stayed in the area with my chickens. He was "pet friendly" (took a little time to get him use to a new one), but my chickens rode around on his back. He also had a pet rabbit ( yes, I said he had a pet) He groomed him and slept with him. The 1st time he saw him, he was so excited ( wanted to eat him!) he couldn't stop shaking. I introduced him to it carefully, and within a month he was gentle with it. He did not let any other animals around him, and was very protective of his property and family. He seemed to accept our other animals as part of his family, or maybe, part of his responsibility.

Borrow a rooster and see how they do with him. It is the individual dog more so than the breed I think.

My old Golden lab was as sweet a dog as you would ever want to around. Loved strangers, kids, etc.

But, if even a little fledgling bird fell out of a nest, she would go to it, lick it, sniff it, look up at us, and gobble it down. No joke, she KNEW we would yell at her, and she just could not help herself.

Needless to say, the day I sold the 75 birds off the front porch 18 months ago, I had to babysit the birds which were in boxes all day long, and bring the remaining ones into the hot tub room that night until their owners picked them up in the morning. She would just dive into the slits on the side of the box and try to grab a chicken.

If you have a dog who will befriend the chickens, she will also help protect them against foxes and other predators except maybe the hawks. Red Tailed Hawks have a liking for yard birds.

You might be better off to buy some new plants and start over. Still plenty of time. If there was a lot of soap involved you probably will need to remove the contaminated soil. Replace it with mushroom compost mixed with top soil (50/50) and you'll have tomatoes from August until frost.

You'll need to put about a 1/4 cup of bone meal around each plant to neutralize the sodium content of the mushroom compost. This will keep aphids off your plants.

Instead of soap try Neem Oil next time. One tablespoon diluted in a gallon of water and you won't have any pests. And it is organic.

Borrow a rooster and see how they do with him. It is the individual dog more so than the breed I think.

My old Golden lab was as sweet a dog as you would ever want to around. Loved strangers, kids, etc.

But, if even a little fledgling bird fell out of a nest, she would go to it, lick it, sniff it, look up at us, and gobble it down. No joke, she KNEW we would yell at her, and she just could not help herself.

Needless to say, the day I sold the 75 birds off the front porch 18 months ago, I had to babysit the birds which were in boxes all day long, and bring the remaining ones into the hot tub room that night until their owners picked them up in the morning. She would just dive into the slits on the side of the box and try to grab a chicken.

If you have a dog who will befriend the chickens, she will also help protect them against foxes and other predators except maybe the hawks. Red Tailed Hawks have a liking for yard birds.

Red Tail Hawks taste better than chickens. They taste a lot like a Bald Eagle. :huh:

Well, some of the tomatoes don't look like they'll make it. The ones in pots on the deck got early morning sun, and fried to much before I got to them. the ones in raised beds in the yard have fared a little better-brown spotting on the leaves, but they might make it. the squash has a lot of brown leaves, but new ones are coming in already. I'll just keep cutting off the dead ones. The peppers dropped all their leaves immediatly, but I think I see the begginings of new leaves ( or is it just wishful thinking?) They were all so beautiful befor I did this-I was so proud of my garden! Hope I can salvage something-I'll keep working on them and hoping1

Trying to go GREEN, and organic is nice, and I applaud you. But when it comes to the bugs, I get out the Sevin dust and that generally takes care of the problem.

I might try some of Feelip's neem oil although I have never heard of it before. We had 1 tomato from the high school which had some curled leaves. Dusted it with Sevin, and in 48 hours it was fine.

Same on the beans....something was chowing down on the leaves on the young plants and we could not find them. Dusted them and now they are fine. $10 worth will last you a couple of years, and there was a $2 coupon in the sunday paper for Sevin week before last. I am stocked up for the rest of this year and next.

If you want tomatoes go on and plant another flat. I am willing to bet they will pass what you have in the ground now.