bvrat5199

Should this board be limited to only folks that live in Paulding County

Should this board be limited to only folks that live in Paulding County  

108 members have voted

1. 1. See Above

• Yes
    • No

Here's the deal folks:

If you come from Georgia, unless you've adopted a name like Ispamalot or watchmyXXXXmovies ... once you confirm your email address you're approved.

This is true generally for the entire USA ... although through some services I've identified a few locations, posters from which are known for spam or who otherwise have a reputation for spammers.

I routinely disallow memberships from Europe (particularly eastern Europe) and Asia (China, Japan, Australia, Viet Nam, and India ... as well as middle eastern countries.)

Certainly Nemie et. al are welcome but I would recommend they PM me if they're registering from any European location (or Asian) as the likelihood of it being a sex spammer, hacker or whomever is just too high. Notably, these folks can read most areas of the site if they are so consumed but they're going to have to sweet talk me to approve a posting account/membership.

Bottom line, Google Analytics reports that 98.57% of all the visits (about 158,000) in the last 30 days to Paulding.com are from the USA. Only 250 visits were from outside the USA.

The vast majority of viewing is in Paulding or from places where people from Paulding Work (Marietta, Atlanta, etc.)

peoplecount.JPG

Another way to look at it in terms of the Neilsen television "Dominant Marketing Area" (DMA) which is the geographic area where Altanta Television stations dominate. In that context, Paulding.com has the greatest concentration of unique visitors in the DMA of any quantified site.

dmaindex.JPG

What is different with the DMA ranking/index quantcast is that their numbers are based on where visitors come from, not the number of visits. In any case, they report that 86 percent of all the visitors to Paulding.com come from the Atlanta DMA (they don't get down to the city or county level.)

Cutting to the chase, most folks in the world are welcome to read Paulding.com; Those from the USA can apply for a posting membership and will likely be approved but 86% of those who do come by are from the Atlanta DMA ... the highest percentage of any site in the Atlanta DMA.

pubby

Here's the deal folks:

If you come from Georgia, unless you've adopted a name like Ispamalot or watchmyXXXXmovies ... once you confirm your email address you're approved.

This is true generally for the entire USA ... although through some services I've identified a few locations, posters from which are known for spam or who otherwise have a reputation for spammers.

I routinely disallow memberships from Europe (particularly eastern Europe) and Asia (China, Japan, Australia, Viet Nam, and India ... as well as middle eastern countries.)

Certainly Nemie et. al are welcome but I would recommend they PM me if they're registering from any European location (or Asian) as the likelihood of it being a sex spammer, hacker or whomever is just too high. Notably, these folks can read most areas of the site if they are so consumed but they're going to have to sweet talk me to approve a posting account/membership.

Bottom line, Google Analytics reports that 98.57% of all the visits (about 158,000) in the last 30 days to Paulding.com are from the USA. Only 250 visits were from outside the USA.

The vast majority of viewing is in Paulding or from places where people from Paulding Work (Marietta, Atlanta, etc.)

post-2-0-02782000-1305255742_thumb.jpg

Another way to look at it in terms of the Neilsen television "Dominant Marketing Area" (DMA) which is the geographic area where Altanta Television stations dominate. In that context, Paulding.com has the greatest concentration of unique visitors in the DMA of any quantified site.

post-2-0-42086300-1305256005_thumb.jpg

What is different with the DMA ranking/index quantcast is that their numbers are based on where visitors come from, not the number of visits. In any case, they report that 86 percent of all the visitors to Paulding.com come from the Atlanta DMA (they don't get down to the city or county level.)

Cutting to the chase, most folks in the world are welcome to read Paulding.com; Those from the USA can apply for a posting membership and will likely be approved but 86% of those who do come by are from the Atlanta DMA ... the highest percentage of any site in the Atlanta DMA.

pubby

I find it interesting that the highest "average time on site" comes from Powder Springs.

I tend to leave things on and often connected even when I'm not there--be it on my laptop or iPhone. When I'm ready to leave, I just go--and I might be reading something I want to get back to, so I don't close out the site.

You're welcome.

:lol:

I find it interesting that the highest "average time on site" comes from Powder Springs.

I tend to leave things on and often connected even when I'm not there--be it on my laptop or iPhone. When I'm ready to leave, I just go--and I might be reading something I want to get back to, so I don't close out the site.

You're welcome.

:lol:

Well 'thanks' ...

I'm not certain of their methodology but I believe they have a timer that when the computer is inactive ... stops counting time on a page after for or five minutes unless there is some kind of activity ... there has to be something ... a mouse move, a scroll - some sign of life ;)

Regardless, if you did that every day and it counted last page view at a 'maximum' 30 minutes every day for a month, it would diminish the average time per visit in just Powder Springs by less than 30 seconds. (I think it is more like 5 minutes before it has to have a gesture/scroll/mouse movement)

But do know Tabby, I'm glad your here just as I'm thankful for the attention/time spent by others.

pubby

Well 'thanks' ...

I'm not certain of their methodology but I believe they have a timer that when the computer is inactive ... stops counting time on a page after for or five minutes unless there is some kind of activity ... there has to be something ... a mouse move, a scroll - some sign of life ;)

Regardless, if you did that every day and it counted last page view at a 'maximum' 30 minutes every day for a month, it would diminish the average time per visit in just Powder Springs by less than 30 seconds. (I think it is more like 5 minutes before it has to have a gesture/scroll/mouse movement)

But do know Tabby, I'm glad your here just as I'm thankful for the attention/time spent by others.

pubby

That's interesting!

Still, I'd be interested to know how many people who post/visit here are from PS.

I assert what I did because, for example, right now I am logged in here on my laptop, and I have been since I got home. I have my computer up and running after I get home, and often I'll leave pcom open so that, whenever I come back to my computer, I don't have to go and open a window again for pcom. I just refresh.

Also right now, my iPhone has pcom open on my Safari browser. I opened it up today (this morning) when I had a slow time at work. I checked in read a bit, and even posted a couple of times (I worked 10-6 tonight, so, looking at my posts during the day today, you can easily see when I was checking in on my iPhone from work).

But often, in fact most days, after I get home and open up pcom on the laptop, I haven't logged out on the iPhone. I might have that pulled up in the background on the iPhone for days or even sometimes, a week or more at a time.

pcom is "open" on my iPhone right now, but I'm not "on" the iPhone--I'm on my laptop. I just set my iPhone to wake me in the morning and set it on my docking station, but because it doesn't really matter whether I close out of pcom or not, it's still open on my iPhone and, unless I reach over and close it out now before I go to sleep, it will remain open on my phone all night and into the morning (probably late morning) until I have a break at work and refresh the page and read again. Logged in to pcom for days at a time on one device or another.

You think none of that impacts your browsing numbers?

Wellalrightythen. :rolleyes:

Simple business minded people (like the man who runs this site) would understand that even "trying" to make this a P.C. only forum is not only futile, but a waste of time, while sending out a negative vibe. Further, to isolate ANY forum to remain in one single county, is ludicrous.

Simply put- this is the internet, and it's open to everyone, globally. To even try to edit out transients, would make the site look arrogant, unfriendly, short-sighted, and just plain mean. Pcom remains largely our local population. With that many locals, who would care to even bother to make this some sort of "private county only" club???

That's interesting!

Still, I'd be interested to know how many people who post/visit here are from PS.

I assert what I did because, for example, right now I am logged in here on my laptop, and I have been since I got home. I have my computer up and running after I get home, and often I'll leave pcom open so that, whenever I come back to my computer, I don't have to go and open a window again for pcom. I just refresh.

Also right now, my iPhone has pcom open on my Safari browser. I opened it up today (this morning) when I had a slow time at work. I checked in read a bit, and even posted a couple of times (I worked 10-6 tonight, so, looking at my posts during the day today, you can easily see when I was checking in on my iPhone from work).

But often, in fact most days, after I get home and open up pcom on the laptop, I haven't logged out on the iPhone. I might have that pulled up in the background on the iPhone for days or even sometimes, a week or more at a time.

pcom is "open" on my iPhone right now, but I'm not "on" the iPhone--I'm on my laptop. I just set my iPhone to wake me in the morning and set it on my docking station, but because it doesn't really matter whether I close out of pcom or not, it's still open on my iPhone and, unless I reach over and close it out now before I go to sleep, it will remain open on my phone all night and into the morning (probably late morning) until I have a break at work and refresh the page and read again. Logged in to pcom for days at a time on one device or another.

I'm a Powder Springs girl :) . I graduated from McEachern in '84 and aside from a brief hiatus in Germany have lived here since the mid 70's. The rest of my family did migrate to Paulding/Dallas area.

I'm a Powder Springs girl :) . I graduated from McEachern in '84 and aside from a brief hiatus in Germany have lived here since the mid 70's. The rest of my family did migrate to Paulding/Dallas area.

I'm in Hiram, and P.S's is a 5 min. drive from me, as well as D'ville. It's all the same to me. People who live in NORTH P.C. are a LONG ways from me. So, you see, it's pretty much a relative thing, depending on which side if the county you are in. ;)

True that! :drinks: I'm right off Brownsville, and grew up on Old Lost Mtn Rd. so Paulding is 5 minutes from me. It's all relative ;) .

I don't live in Paulding or work in Paulding. I live in Cobb County. I am within a mile of the Paulding/Cobb lines, though, and do a LOT of shopping in Hiram and Dallas simply because it is easier to drive to than Marietta/Kennesaw/Acworth. I frequent Sam's Club, JCP, Target, Kohl's, PetSmart, a barber in Dallas, a dentist in Dallas, the Kennestone health facility in Dallas/Hiram, and some others.

Am I unwelcome on this board by some? :(

Same here, further than a mile, though.

Please make my "yes" a "no". I misread the question. I thought it was asking if the Board of Education should have members from Paulding County.

Oops!!

Interesting how some get the idea that limiting access might make it somehow "special". This is about communication, and limiting it would make it less useful.

If it were limited to those who live in Paulding, I can think of about six FREQUENT posters who would not be on here.

I have worked in Paulding since 1985, including owning a business in Hiram. Almost all of my shopping is done in Paulding with the exception of groceries. My bank and my credit union are in Paulding. My bank does have a branch in Marietta, but it's twice as far as the one in Hiram and it's the closest one in Cobb! It takes me literally 5 minutes to get to Paulding County, or Douglas County for that matter. About the same length of time it takes me to get to Powder Springs or Austell.

No, how boring would that be? :pardon:

• Like 1

That's interesting!

Tabby:

I suspect it impacts them a bit ... every input is an input. But just like the board its self logs you out of the current 'active viewers' after fifteen minutes. You can't really tell as the user because if you let it sit, you name fades away after fifteen minutes even though the page stays just as it was when you left it.

But when you refresh the page, you're now active.

As someone who studied media and audience measurements for literally years the plain fact is that the measurements made by third parties like Google Analytics and Quantcast are more precise than the social science survey based audience estimates for television and radio audiences.

However, the precision of these ratings/audience measurements should still be taken with a grain of salt. For instance, the figures provided by Google Analytics that the geo-location of the logon are far from as precise as it would appear and is based most specifically on the way that the ISP reports the location. I.e. Comcast may detail to Dallas, Hiram and Powder Springs but bellsouth or AOL may attribute all their geo-tags from Dallas, Hiram and Powder Springs to "Atlanta" ... A logon from a bank in Hiram may be attributed to a private network that reports a geo-tagged address in Chicago because the private net routes all connections through Chicago.

So, while the figures are interesting and indicative, they are far from gospel. I think the industry is headed toward precision in this regard but it still falls quite a bit short of perfection.

pubby

I think it should be open to anyone willing to pay Pubby to help maintain it no matter where they are. I'm sure Pubby would agree. :lol:

I don't live in Paulding or work in Paulding. I live in Cobb County. I am within a mile of the Paulding/Cobb lines, though, and do a LOT of shopping in Hiram and Dallas simply because it is easier to drive to than Marietta/Kennesaw/Acworth. I frequent Sam's Club, JCP, Target, Kohl's, PetSmart, a barber in Dallas, a dentist in Dallas, the Kennestone health facility in Dallas/Hiram, and some others.

Am I unwelcome on this board by some? :(

Hey paying sales tax in PC when you live in Cobb gets you a special pass anyway! I would think that anyone that ventures to this site has some sort of connection to PC, be it residence, history, business, family or just admiration. I for one can't imagine signing up for a county oriented website that I have no connection or interest in what so ever. The fact that they are here says our county, people and culture has garnered their interest, that's what counts!

Although I am happy to be living back home in Savannah, leaving Paulding wasn't something I chose to do and would still be there if it had been possible for me. I still come to the site to find out what's going on up there, not only because I am curious (and maybe even a bit nosy :) ), but because when I do get to come back to visit, I don't feel so much like a visitor because I've been able to keep up with what's going on...

tabby,

Back in 2004/2005/2006 I realized that alexa's rankings were a joke ... and I even made posts back then as I figured that it would be possible to 'manipulate' the rankings to put Pcom ahead of the NYTimes :) I called it punk'n the NYTimes ... We actually got pretty close as we distributed well over a hundred alexa tool bars and you our rankings actually got down in the top 4000-5000 range in the world.

Then the Alexa bar started being hit on by avg and other virus/trojan sniffers and rather than fight it, I had, had my joke and that was enough ... especially since Alexa was total BS anyway.

It is the methodology used that makes Alexa a joke. What alexa does is place their browser bar on self-selected viewers world wide and uses the data reported by those folks to estimate audience of all web sites. That's how we were able to zoom into the top 5000 websites on alexa in those days we were promoting it. We simply hyped our alexa rating/audience count by hyping the number of folks using the Alexa tool bar that were frequent visitors here.

This methodology differs dramatically from that of both quantcast.com (which has had its process verified by an independent measurment authority for the advertising industry - i.e. its figures are accepted by ad agencies for media research) and google analytics. To work, both these services require a tracker placed on most every page on pcom and they actually run some sophisticated analytical programs on the data derived from a bug placed on the bottom of the page. In essence, this gives them the ability to count every page... or at least every page on which the trackers appear and are not blocked by users.

You should also know that users do have the ability to block these transmissions with third party browser add-ons and those folks won't be counted at all. I know for a fact some folks do. (A premium member who renewed today said he blocked them.)

Now, I don't encourage blocking the trackers and nothing I put on the pcom pages will harm anyone or invade their privacy.

Anyway, those are third party audience estimate sites. Those are the stats that I use to market the site in large part because they are compiled independently, have both history and credibility. (they'd delete my account if I tried to put two sets of trackers on the site to hype the data, etc. )

But there is yet another data source ... this is the one a lot of people use to talk about web audience because, well, they're so small and insignficant they won't show up, much less compare favorably, on any rating service. Usually, those marketing these sites will talk in terms of 'hits' which they will allow you to think are the same thing as visits.

The source of this information are the internal server logs. I'm happy to show them to anyone who cares. For instance Paulding.com had 23,684,968 'hits' in April 2011. I'll post the daily report(s) for April 2011 as it will show things like visits, pages, unique URLs that visited, etc.

webalizerdailystates.JPG

There is some interesting information on this report. Visits, according to the site stats, are about double that of Google daily but then google doesn't county visits from - google or bing or other other search engines whereas my local server stats do. Ditto the quantcast data ... and that is another reason I use the third party sites.

Bottom line, if you're not 'smart' about web stuff, it is easy to be bamboozled as most folks talking about it throw around things like "10,000 hits a day" ... which inevitably generates the response, 'wow, that's pretty good.

It is not, it sucks. For a comparison, PCOM's server hits for April 27th (bad weather day) were 1,455,087 and Google analytics showed we had 9980 visits for an average of about 146 "hits per visit." If I compare hits per absolute unique visitors (we had 6629 that day), the number of hits per actual visitor was 220 hits per user. Assuming similar site engagement to Pcom, a site with 10,000 hits would have had about 46 visitors.

But I usually don't go there because if folks will look on the third party measurment sites they'd see I'm about the only site that shows up on services like quantcast.com or even compete.com or alexa.

pubby

tabby,

Back in 2004/2005/2006 I realized that alexa's rankings were a joke ... and I even made posts back then as I figured that it would be possible to 'manipulate' the rankings to put Pcom ahead of the NYTimes :) I called it punk'n the NYTimes ... We actually got pretty close as we distributed well over a hundred alexa tool bars and you our rankings actually got down in the top 4000-5000 range in the world.

Then the Alexa bar started being hit on by avg and other virus/trojan sniffers and rather than fight it, I had, had my joke and that was enough ... especially since Alexa was total BS anyway.

It is the methodology used that makes Alexa a joke. What alexa does is place their browser bar on self-selected viewers world wide and uses the data reported by those folks to estimate audience of all web sites. That's how we were able to zoom into the top 5000 websites on alexa in those days we were promoting it. We simply hyped our alexa rating/audience count by hyping the number of folks using the Alexa tool bar that were frequent visitors here.

This methodology differs dramatically from that of both quantcast.com (which has had its process verified by an independent measurment authority for the advertising industry - i.e. its figures are accepted by ad agencies for media research) and google analytics. To work, both these services require a tracker placed on most every page on pcom and they actually run some sophisticated analytical programs on the data derived from a bug placed on the bottom of the page. In essence, this gives them the ability to count every page... or at least every page on which the trackers appear and are not blocked by users.

You should also know that users do have the ability to block these transmissions with third party browser add-ons and those folks won't be counted at all. I know for a fact some folks do. (A premium member who renewed today said he blocked them.)

Now, I don't encourage blocking the trackers and nothing I put on the pcom pages will harm anyone or invade their privacy.

Anyway, those are third party audience estimate sites. Those are the stats that I use to market the site in large part because they are compiled independently, have both history and credibility. (they'd delete my account if I tried to put two sets of trackers on the site to hype the data, etc. )

But there is yet another data source ... this is the one a lot of people use to talk about web audience because, well, they're so small and insignficant they won't show up, much less compare favorably, on any rating service. Usually, those marketing these sites will talk in terms of 'hits' which they will allow you to think are the same thing as visits.

The source of this information are the internal server logs. I'm happy to show them to anyone who cares. For instance Paulding.com had 23,684,968 'hits' in April 2011. I'll post the daily report(s) for April 2011 as it will show things like visits, pages, unique URLs that visited, etc.

post-2-0-12018200-1305347099_thumb.jpg

There is some interesting information on this report. Visits, according to the site stats, are about double that of Google daily but then google doesn't county visits from - google or bing or other other search engines whereas my local server stats do. Ditto the quantcast data ... and that is another reason I use the third party sites.

Bottom line, if you're not 'smart' about web stuff, it is easy to be bamboozled as most folks talking about it throw around things like "10,000 hits a day" ... which inevitably generates the response, 'wow, that's pretty good.

It is not, it sucks. For a comparison, PCOM's server hits for April 27th (bad weather day) were 1,455,087 and Google analytics showed we had 9980 visits for an average of about 146 "hits per visit." If I compare hits per absolute unique visitors (we had 6629 that day), the number of hits per actual visitor was 220 hits per user. Assuming similar site engagement to Pcom, a site with 10,000 hits would have had about 46 visitors.

But I usually don't go there because if folks will look on the third party measurment sites they'd see I'm about the only site that shows up on services like quantcast.com or even compete.com or alexa.

pubby

I didn't read all that. I skimmed it, though.

I just posted a link, for heaven's sake! I didn't even make a comment about it. SHEESH!

Alexa may not be the be-all-end-all tracker, but it does perform tracking, and on "popular" sites, it does accurately track monthly trends and search terms used to arrive at sites.

You should probably appreciate them a bit more--your world-wide ranking on their site ain't bad!

I did find it amusing that the ONE review (5 stars, no less) was posted by YOU. :)

On my personal blog, I use Site Meter Basic. It's free, and very accurate.

Nope.... I moved from Paulding to West Central Minnesota.... the folks up here are mean! If I didn't have PCom nobody would talk to me!!! :drinks:

(it's true!)

I for one, am glad your here!

WWW.===World Wide Web Pcom is open to the world :shok:

Yep....it's not the "world wide web except for anybody in paulding county."

The only ones I have a problem with are the ones who make a big deal over the fact that they don't live here anymore, are glad they don't and argue with almost everyone.

If you don't live in the area, fine. Just don't make a big deal of it and don't spend your time arguing with others who post here.

• Like 5

Very flattering to have folks interested. WOW, they want to join from other countries... for real? What? It is hiliarous mostly everyday. Who doesn't want a laugh at some of the weird, odd, smart, not so smart, different opinions, OUTRAGOUS things some of the folks on here, from who cares where, boldly go where no others will....lol

:D

The only ones I have a problem with are the ones who make a big deal over the fact that they don't live here anymore, are glad they don't and argue with almost everyone.

If you don't live in the area, fine. Just don't make a big deal of it and don't spend your time arguing with others who post here.

So you like us as long as we don't have an opinion different then yours or state where we live. Got it. :rofl:

Thanks everyone - Mods you can close this now, it served it's purpose.

• Like 1