Paulding.com

an example of the parent not being prepared for their child's needs

I know what you mean. I was in the school system for eight years. You see those types of examples daily. I do hope she's ok

• Like 1

an example of the parent not being prepared for their child's needs

I understand what you are saying and am not going to argue.

But there could be a reason:

1) the child has never had need for an inhaler

2) she only has one inhaler (because insurance only pays for one). I have had this situation before and it is hard. You see, as I said insurance only pays for 1 inhaler and according to school rules the inhaler must remain in the original package and stay at the school. My son rode the bus and was not allowed to take his inhaler from the school. What are you to do?

the EMS units were advised that the child used an inhaler but did not have access to one at the school - hence a call to 911 by the school.

Insurance may offer certain benefits and you agree to those benefits when you pay the premium.

If these benefits do not fully cover the families needs, then I see it as a responsibility of the parent, should they choose to call themself responsible, to provide for the child.

the EMS units were advised that the child used an inhaler but did not have access to one at the school - hence a call to 911 by the school.

Insurance may offer certain benefits and you agree to those benefits when you pay the premium.

If these benefits do not fully cover the families needs, then I see it as a responsibility of the parent, should they choose to call themself responsible, to provide for the child.

:clapping:

Valid points Freebird.

I understand what is being said.

In our case an extra inhaler would have cost me $200 which I did not have. (before someone states the obvious that I am paying for internet, it is included in my rent).

To begin with I could not afford an extra inhaler and at one time left work to take one to the school. Then eventually I was able to be blessed enough to have 2. One stays at school and one in my purse. My point is that I believe a child should be able to transport an inhaler to and from school for cases like this.

With that being said, I completely agree that the parent should have made provisions.

Hope this child is okay.

Edited by bored

Some children are allowed to transport their inhalers and keep them in their purse, etc during the school day.

All it takes is a note from doc saying that the child understands the uses and a note (or form) from mom/dad absolving the schools of liability.

I think that inhalers, epipens, and some diabetic stuff falls under this rule.

(I don't know the details, but I know that several of my students carry these items legitimately)

Per Scottish Rite hospital, Georgia passed a law that kids are allowed to carry their inhaler on their person at all times. They do not have to check it in at school. They have not had to for years but parents have not been made aware of this. You can call CHOA & ask for the lady that does the asthma education classes. She will be glad to provide anyone with a copy of this law.

I hope she is okay too. And yes, those inhalers are about $200.