Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ANG

Handicap Parking

Who do you complain to? Paulding Sheriff, DMV, or State Patrol. This is a habitual person we are talking about here. Anytime of day and plenty of other spaces. It's almost as if they have claimed it for themselves.

Tom's Father has to walk with a walker and because they are parked in the striped slot next to the handicap slot, he cannot open the door wide enough to get the walker out.

The guy is military and should know better.

Thanks

Since that is private property it is up to the apartment management to enforce that.

Thank you I will try again for the 4th time....

Contact the Apartment management first and see if they can locate the owner. Not 100% sure about Georgia, but I believe they may even be able to have it towed. Some PD's won't write on private property like apartment building parking lots.

Have you tried leaving a note on the windshield explaining to the knucklehead that your dad can't open his door? It might not do any good, but then again it might.

I don't know why but people who park illegally often come out to find that their car has flat tires or shopping carts parked against their cars. I don't why that is...

• Like 3

Yes we have. That is how we knew the guy was military. It's he and his wife and 2 small children straight above me on the 3rd floor.

I don't know why but people who park illegally often come out to find that their car has flat tires or shopping carts parked against their cars. I don't why that is...

:)

hmmmm...I know about this. From what understand there has been harassment about parking that has nothing to do with handicap parking. That was just an excuse to complain.

Does your apartment complex have a Security Officer? As in a PCSD deputy who lives on the property? I know our apartment complex does and he takes care of that type things himself. He is very diligent in keeping an eye on things. A vehicle in violation of apartment policy/Ga law will find a bright orange label attached to their windshield (and it is difficult to remove) informing them of their violation. If it is not corrected or if they continue to violate then the vehicle is towed. IF you have a Security Officer and he has allowed it be continue you need to file a complaint with him. Maybe he is unaware of it. ;)

:)

Take a few pictures of the situation, with tag number and the whole 9 yards. Post them on the apartment's rental office bulletin, launder room bulletin board, recreation room bulletin, swimming pool bulletin board, local news, and send a message to other residents by e-mail.

Stay busy, at these type things, until you get some attention. :drinks:

I know that I was at the doctors in the building parking lot and the doctor was parked on the yellow lines next to handicap blocking it so that a van could not fit. They called the Hiram Police and they wrote him a ticket and made him move his car.

Who do you complain to? Paulding Sheriff, DMV, or State Patrol. This is a habitual person we are talking about here. Anytime of day and plenty of other spaces. It's almost as if they have claimed it for themselves.

Tom's Father has to walk with a walker and because they are parked in the striped slot next to the handicap slot, he cannot open the door wide enough to get the walker out.

I see motorcyclists do stuff like this all the time - is this a bike or a car?

I know that I was at the doctors in the building parking lot and the doctor was parked on the yellow lines next to handicap blocking it so that a van could not fit. They called the Hiram Police and they wrote him a ticket and made him move his car.

Businesses have public lots. Apartment lots are considered private.

What does him being military have anything to do with it?

I'd just take pictures and keep complaining to the apartment management until something is done about it.

Take a few pictures of the situation, with tag number and the whole 9 yards. Post them on the apartment's rental office bulletin, launder room bulletin board, recreation room bulletin, swimming pool bulletin board, local news, and send a message to other residents by e-mail.

Stay busy, at these type things, until you get some attention. :drinks:

Thanks I have very good pictures. I have walked the whole complex and no other buildings have this problem.

I see motorcyclists do stuff like this all the time - is this a bike or a car?

If the picture I have does not show the tag nimbers can I post? Pubby? Both of their vehicles are in the slotted and the handicap slots....Unbelievable....

I love this website and I have used it many times: http://www.handicappedfraud.org/

Done. Yes that is a great site!

What does him being military have anything to do with it?

Nothing, it has nothing to do with it.

Simply put it is the law....

So have you verified that the person is not handicapped?

People parking in the handicapped spots when they are not really all that handicapped, or have a serious disability, is really just a frame of mind. I have been given temporary handicap decals before but still never parked in a handicap spot simply because I figured there was worse off people then me and walking a few extra feet was actually going to do more benefit then harm.

I worked with a guy who would park in the handicapped spot everyday, he had a permanent decal because if a leg injury, yet he would go out and walk the parking garage for an hour during his lunch break and the parking garage was about 3 times farther away then the normal parking spaces that he could have parked in.

That was my question, too. But I think the OP is saying that they are parked incorrectly AND illegally, i.e., in the area that should be where a wheelchair could be taken out of a van AND not with the proper handicap permit.

I have noticed several people parking in handicapped spots that I had question about but it turned out they did have the permit or the tag.

And why are ALL of the handicapped spots at Walmart ALWAYS taken?

So have you verified that the person is not handicapped?

That was my question, too. But I think the OP is saying that they are parked incorrectly AND illegally, i.e., in the area that should be where a wheelchair could be taken out of a van AND not with the proper handicap permit.

Yes and yes. Thank you I would love to post a pic. You cannot see the plates at all.

some folks have family members who are disabled and have the hang tag for them; BUT the driver uses it whether the disabled person is with them or not. I see this a lot, where the young driver bounds out of the big SUV (today at Sam's) or van.,,in fact know someone quite well who does that. And a handicapped driver, who parks in a space, and remains in the car while his wife goes in.

some folks have family members who are disabled and have the hang tag for them; BUT the driver uses it whether the disabled person is with them or not. I see this a lot, where the young driver bounds out of the big SUV (today at Sam's) or van.,,in fact know someone quite well who does that. And a handicapped driver, who parks in a space, and remains in the car while his wife goes in.

When I am with my mother, I have been known to park in the handicap spots and run in the store. I only do this if she is with me and there is a chance that I might need her to come in to sign something or they give me a problem using her card. That way she is close enough to get in if need be. Some people do not even look and I can use her card with no problem other times I have had to have her come in.

Edited to add: She does have a hang tag that we put up.

Edited by denisedaisy33

I hate when I see people park in those striped areas next to handicap spots! Seems like I see it at the Hiram Walmart all the time.

I don't question people who park in a handicap spot, IF they have a tag or decal. Some handicaps you can't see. You can't see a heart or lung problem, but someone with those problems may not be able to walk long distances and needs that spot close to the store.

Yes and yes. Thank you I would love to post a pic. You cannot see the plates at all.

In my opinion, as long as it's a violation of ethics, pictures should be allowed. Whether it's against public law, or not, it seems to be a quiet severe ethical violation. Why would the tag number be withheld?

Just my opinion, however! :)

Look at these "winners" There are some real lame people in this world today. I have a bum foot an will be having surgery on Monday and I would "NEVER" even consider doing something like this!!!!!!!!!!

DSC02055BluecarinaNOPARKINGzone.jpg blue car in front of a NO PARKING SIGN

DSC02057SUVINHANDICAPPEDAREA.jpg Gray SUV in handicap striped area (ooops, this was NOT a handicapped area, just a striped area, corrected 8:45 pm)

DSC05076tu.jpg

A "local" Daycare van in front of Rite Aid

DSC05077tu.jpg

after the van left the striped area

I always wondered why Hiram PD doesn't do something about all the folks parked on the striped parking spaces. There is always people parked on them. They could make a fortune in ticket revenue there. People have zero regard for the law.

That gray SUV was at Walmart, wasn't it?

Wal-Mart in Hiram..........were you there at the same time?? Friday, April 8th approximately 11:30 am. This was a lady with about 3 or 4 children (spring break week), I watched her as she was loading groceries. I was entering the store.

Nope, I wasn't there. I haven't gone to that store in a long time. It hasn't changed, though. People STILL parking where they shouldn't.

Bad thing is I think I recognize the SUV. :( In fact, I'm almost positive I know who drives it.

Wal-Mart in Hiram..........were you there at the same time?? Friday, April 8th approximately 11:30 am. This was a lady with about 3 or 4 children (spring break week), I watched her as she was loading groceries. I was entering the store.

I always wondered why Hiram PD doesn't do something about all the folks parked on the striped parking spaces. There is always people parked on them. They could make a fortune in ticket revenue there. People have zero regard for the law.

If you're talking about Walmart in Hiram it's because it's private property. They can't issue tickets there!

If I read things correctly, for a ticket to be issued, the driver has to be located to sign the ticket. Locating a particular person in Wallyworld would be like finding a needle in a haystack. You *could* call them to the customer service desk but likely anyone parked illegally won't go if called.

If you're talking about Walmart in Hiram it's because it's private property. They can't issue tickets there!

Douglasville City has a Parking Patrol person (I'm sure that's not the right terminology for that) who can and will, write tickets for people who park in the "NO PARKING" zones, in the handicapped areas, who are NOT suppose to be parking there or illegaly parked vehicles. Why can't Hiram or Paulding County do this???

If it's private property, I would think the property owner would have to give permission or ask that it be done.

Douglasville City has a Parking Patrol person (I'm sure that's not the right terminology for that) who can and will, write tickets for people who park in the "NO PARKING" zones, in the handicapped areas, who are NOT suppose to be parking there or illegaly parked vehicles. Why can't Hiram or Paulding County do this???

I would most defianately recommend NOT touching someone elses car or flattening their tires.

If someone did that to me, no matter if I parked illegally or not (which I don't, btw), I would make sure THAT person received concequences for their actions.

NEVER, UNDER ANY NON-EMERGENCY CIRCUMSTANCES, PUT YOUR HANDS ON SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY.

I hate when I see people park in those striped areas next to handicap spots! Seems like I see it at the Hiram Walmart all the time.

I don't question people who park in a handicap spot, IF they have a tag or decal. Some handicaps you can't see. You can't see a heart or lung problem, but someone with those problems may not be able to walk long distances and needs that spot close to the store.

That is my situation - I don't LOOK handicapped but my lungs only function at 38% and I cannot walk very far even after using my 3 inhalers. I have received some hard looks but I am legal and like you said, you can't always see the disability. If I am having a good day and breathing fine I will park in another spot that is not handicap parking since I need the exercise.

I would most defianately recommend NOT touching someone elses car or flattening their tires.

If someone did that to me, no matter if I parked illegally or not (which I don't, btw), I would make sure THAT person received concequences for their actions.

NEVER, UNDER ANY NON-EMERGENCY CIRCUMSTANCES, PUT YOUR HANDS ON SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY.

Two wrongs don't make a right but sometimes Karma is a b_tch.

Thanks

If you know his name, please PM me because I may be able to find out what unit he's in and call his First Sergeant or Commander. They usually frown on this kind of thing because it makes the military look bad when their personnel or family members do this kind of thing. Trust me, once one of his superiors talks to him about this continuous infraction, it will most likely stop. If not, a second call to his superiors will.

• Like 1

Why would someone in the military know better than anyone else? What if he worked at McD's or the post office? Would you go to his place of work and complain about him even though it had nothing to do with his occupation?

You could always go the simple route and talk to the man about his poor parking and how it's effecting others.

Why would someone in the military know better than anyone else? What if he worked at McD's or the post office? Would you go to his place of work and complain about him even though it had nothing to do with his occupation?

You could always go the simple route and talk to the man about his poor parking and how it's effecting others.

The guy probably doesn't care anyway. He possibly has already been spoken to by others being a repeat offender. He doesn't care. If the police won't act and the complex won't have his vehicle towed (as it should be) why not go to the next level? It might be the only way to get real action.

Plus, your outside activities can reflect a bad impression on the business you work for. If I saw a person in any uniform blatantly disobeying the law, I would report it. If they have no respect for others, they apparently have no respect for their uniform or who they work for or represent. The only reason I mention uniform is because it represents a certain workforce: nurse uniform - hospital, fire helmet in vehicle - fire department, D O T - works for the county, etc. I would treat anyone in an uniform with respect, and I expect the same treatment from them.