Paulding.com

Cutting pre-k to 4 hours

My son who has a 3.6 GPA in college does NOT receive a "handout". Something that isn't earned? You have to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA to receive the HOPE. That is far from being "given out". The young adults who receive the HOPE scholarship in college are Georgia's future. We need this program to stick around. If something had to be cut, I'd much rather see PreK go.

Well, seeing that this topic is about cutting Pre-K hours......never mind.

But, I can see your opinion as valid for you. My personaly opinion is that if something is cut, that the college stuff get cut before Pre-K.

I think it's better to start more kids off with educating them and putting them in a classroom enviroment so that they will be ready when they go to school. Someone who is going to college has 18 years for their parents to save into a college fund. If parents were serious about their kids going to college then they would work a way to put some money aside early on no matter what it takes.

Really???? Do you even know this man? I do, and your comment is just ignorant. Did you have anything to add to this?

:) Who would have though. A florida Gator sticking up for an Alabama fan!!! lol

I think if it saves money and creates more openings for kids it's a good idea. When my kids were in Kindergarten (I have three that range in age from 10-14) it was obvious when I helped out in class if a kid had not gotten and Pre-K education. It didn't have to come from an official preschool. Some parents were able to teach there kids the basics. I don't remember their being very many kids at all that hadn't gone to preschool or had a parent or both work with them before starting Kindergarten.

Now the changes to the HOPE Scholarship. That is what scares me!

Nope its mine, and other pre-k teachers, problem thats what I want to do for a living. I just think more time in the day to learn is better for all children.

And Im with ya, I couldnt tell ya how much money I have, and will continue, to spend on lotto. Although I never win much at all. But its fun!!! :)

Yea luckliy the afterschool prgram after pre-k is over for the day is cheaper and will certainly save you money!!

Really, your having money problems and you play the lottery?! Maybe you should take a few Econ classes.

Really, your having money problems and you play the lottery?! Maybe you should take a few Econ classes.

Yes i play the lotto sometimes and buy scratche off sometimes. Im not spending our entire paycheck on it, I know my limits and how long has it been around?? Isnt playing lotto supporting Hope and Pre-K

Edited by happy2bme

Do they even learn letters, numbers, etc.. in GA Pre-k? I thought it was all "play".

Letters, numbers, colors, how to write, words, some sign language, my son can count to 10 in spanish, etc. and play is vital to young children developing many different skills.

Yes i play the lotto sometimes and buy scratche off sometimes. Im not spending our entire paycheck on it, I know my limits and how long has it been around?? Isnt playing lotto supporting Hope and Pre-K

I don't know- it seems really silly to me to throw your money away like that when it sounds like you don't have enough to begin with. I'd say, when you finish school, and you are where you want to be financially, and not taking advantage of social programs that the tax payers are supporting, then you can buy all the lottery tickets you want. I'm glad you like supporting the pre-k programs by "playing the lotto", and it really makes no difference how long it's been around. If you don't have the money, stop throwing away. Support it by donating your time to the pre-k programs so they can stay open longer or something.

• Like 1

I don't know- it seems really silly to me to throw your money away like that when it sounds like you don't have enough to begin with. I'd say, when you finish school, and you are where you want to be financially, and not taking advantage of social programs that the tax payers are supporting, then you can buy all the lottery tickets you want. I'm glad you like supporting the pre-k programs by "playing the lotto", and it really makes no difference how long it's been around. If you don't have the money, stop throwing away. Support it by donating your time to the pre-k programs so they can stay open longer or something.

If a have a dollar or two and want to play lotto i will. You may think of it as throwing away money but it does support Hope and pre-k. And ya never know I may make some money. So you have NEVER EVER played the lotto??? Not accusing you of not having the money to do whatever you want, just wondering? I do donate my time ( when not doing school or household duties) to the pre-k my son attends. I love to go to his school and read or observe and help them any way I can. Infact I have donated a slew of different items the classes need, so please do not judge me if you dont know exaclty what I do. I donate what little money I make off selling my textbooks to the center, and buy my son books from the bookfair. I do what I can!!!

Wow, I can honestly say most people in this forum are completely blind to what the Georgia pre-k even is. My fiancé is a Georgia pre-k teacher, and the posts in this forum are nothing short of laughable and infuriating. Children in pre-k learn more than I learned in kindergarten and part of first grade in Paulding counties school system. Kids come in with varying degrees of prior education, but when they leave they are prepared both intellectually and in terms of behavior.

One big issue with this proposed cut is that most of the pre-k teachers (which are college educated and certified) are making well less than public school counterparts, and with half day cuts they will be reduced to the salary of a grocery store cashier if they get to keep their job at all. Plus they will be considered part time and lose most all benefits. This is a quick way to make thousands of new unemployment and poverty positions in the state.

• Like 1

I always think it's funny when Neal Boortz says playing the lottery is how they tax the poor

But , I myself played the same numbers for YEARS ! and maybe a few times won a free ticket or $8.00

I gave up playing the lottery for my New years resolution.

Either way , I think the jerks in congress , whether republican or democrat, are bankrupting this country !!

It is sad, so many kids GET IT & WANT to learn .

It scares me that the American Dream is getting farther & farther away .

I have never attended college. And my parents did not either.

I always hoped my kids would be the first generation to attend college. But that is not going to happen :(

I refuse to let them go into debt with student loans. Because there is no guarantee that they will be able to get a job to pay them back.

My nieces husband graduated $118,000.00 in college loans, and it took him 19 years to repay his loans.

By that time , he lost his job :(

I have friends who do not get any help because they are 2 working parents .

And they pay full time day care & pay in full for their young adults to attend college .

They struggle to make ends meet .

It disgusts me when I hear college students say they went to class & the professer did not show up.

Or when I hear they paid over $100 for a book & only had to use it one time .

I think colleges scam the parents . And they keep on hiking their services.

It's a HOT MESS !!!

I think parents need to speak up .

Another way the MIDDLE CLASS is getting SCREWED !!