Paulding.com

Bill to Require Booster Seats For 7-8 Year Old

I wonder how most parents feel about the bill to require booster seats for a 7-8 year old. I think safety seats are necessary and should be required for children too small to be in a seat belt but if they keep going will the child have to be 10 before he/she gets to climb out of one? When do we say enough?

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/bill-to-require-7-857645.html

We kept our daughter in a booster seat until she was 8yo. We went by the CDC recommendations and not the state recommendations. If keeping them in a booster longer keeps her safer, then that is what I will do.

• Like 2

I for one think its a great idea. I went out last year and bought an expensive Britax car seat for my 5 year old that goes up to 80lbs using the 5pt harness. I dont really care what others think, Ive had several people tell me thats a bit much, but, alas, its my child and there is no replacement. I dont really understand why people are so eager to take their children out of car seats so they can use a regular seat belt. Its so dangerous and Ive seen too many children killed in car accidents that could have been saved had they been in car seats. I think parents are not protective enough over their children, and that makes me angry, just like when I see parents smoking with their kids in the car :angry:

Not everyone has a car big enough to put more than 2 booster/car seats in them. when mine were little I had a full size car and 3 seats were a pain.

Making safety decisions regarding your children are based on how big of a hassle it is? Wow.......

• Like 6

My 9 year old JUST got to the point where she doesn't need her booster anymore. My teenage son used his until he was 12. I don't go by age, I go by size. If their feet don't touch the ground when they sit completely back, and if the belt doesn't fit them right .. they stay in the booster. It's about safety, that's all that matters to me.

• Like 1

I for one think its a great idea. I went out last year and bought an expensive Britax car seat for my 5 year old that goes up to 80lbs using the 5pt harness. I dont really care what others think, Ive had several people tell me thats a bit much, but, alas, its my child and there is no replacement. I dont really understand why people are so eager to take their children out of car seats so they can use a regular seat belt. Its so dangerous and Ive seen too many children killed in car accidents that could have been saved had they been in car seats. I think parents are not protective enough over their children, and that makes me angry, just like when I see parents smoking with their kids in the car :angry:

Making safety decisions regarding your children are based on how big of a hassle it is? Wow.......

We did the same thing!! I thought it was just me. Third grader rode in it until he was past 7. At first he questioned why he had to still ride in one when his friends either had a booster or NOTHING and we told him it was for his safety. We also told him that he was strapped in just like a race car driver and he was cooler than those other unsafe kids. From that moment on, he never questioned it. We did have a couple of kids make snooty remarks about him being a baby in a car seat and he told them right quick it was because his parents loved him and wanted him to be safe. Gotta love that kid!

I cannot fathom how anyone could think keeping a child safe is a bad idea. Safety measures are upgraded and changing from year to year, so just because it's inconvenient to an adult, it makes it a bad idea? GEEEEZ!

I know, I know.........'we didn't have car seats when I was a kid or bike helmets or seat belt laws and we turned out just fine'. There was asbestos and cigarette ads too, but they learned through research that those things were detrimental to your health and they changed the rules regarding them. Should they have just kept their mouths shut and continued to rock on because it was easier for everyone? So what if people die even if it could have been prevented, it's easier and cheaper that way.

Heck, if he still fit, 3rd grader would probably still be in one.

I have looked up these rules so many times and for some reason they seem weird. Does anyone know the exact size to be out of booster and when can they get in a booster?

Does it go by weight or height or both?

My 3rd grader just got taken out of hers. I still was not sure if I should. She was the only one out of anyone I know that is in one. I have seen so many kids out when they are in Kindergarten. Crazy to me.

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

I was simply saying people may have to buy a bigger car/suv that they cant afford, then again it would help car/suv sales. I wasn't trying to be rude. You do what you have to do I've had friends that have to take two cars to get their family someplace.

My oldest was in a booster till he was about 6. This was in 1986, daughter was in hers until she was about 5. She out grew it, her feet touched the floorboard, and the seat belt fit right. Youngest was in his until about 5 when he out grew his too. He was not allowed to sit in the front seat until he was a bit taller and weighed 100#. I have a passenger side air bag in the Blazer.

Shot for the longest time the kids thought that the vehicle really wouldn't start until the seat belts were buckled. :lol:

I remember riding from Ohio all the way to Florida on the rear window ledge behind the back seat of our '72 Ford Galxie. Dad having to slam on the brakes and me flying into my brother and sisters. :lol:

I'm still here......I'm just sayin.

The less government mandates, the better. However, I do think it is a good idea but like was said earlier. Age requirements should not be the baseline. Not all kids are the same. It should be a personal responsibility, not governments.

Edited by Papi
  • Like 4

Oldest can sit in my car without a booster (she's 7.) The strap comes across her chest and her knees bend at the seat edge. My husbands car, she has to use a booster because the strap comes across her chin and her legs dangle. lol

The guidelines are not just based on age. I believe 4'9" is the height if they are tall for their age. And, I can't remeber the weight. If they do not reach the height and weight requirements by the time they reach the age, it is recommended that they stay in the safety seat. It can get a little confusing with all the different baselines they use.

It's not just based on age and weight. Their feet need to be flat on the floor, while they are sitting all the way back. ( mine hardly do ) lol. And the belt, when going across cannot be going across their neck. It needs to be going across their chest, for obvious reasons.

I have looked up these rules so many times and for some reason they seem weird. Does anyone know the exact size to be out of booster and when can they get in a booster?

Does it go by weight or height or both?

My 3rd grader just got taken out of hers. I still was not sure if I should. She was the only one out of anyone I know that is in one. I have seen so many kids out when they are in Kindergarten. Crazy to me.

The current law (O.C.G.A. Section 40-8-76) requires all children under 6 years old to be restrained in "a child passenger restraining system appropriate for such child's height and weight and approved by the [uS DOT]." So, if there is a seat for your child's height and weight class, they should be in it.

The statute does allow for use of a lap belt if the child is at least 40 pounds AND, there is no shoulder and lap belt in the vehicle, or the available shoulder and lap belts are being used for other children.

There is also an exception for children who are OVER 4'9".

It also requires that children be in the back seat if there is one available, which many parents either are not aware of or simply ignore.

The new law (Senate Bill 88) proposes to change the age from under 6 years old to under 8 years old.

Hopefully that clears up an confusion about the requirements.

Really, what it comes down to, is why wouldn't you do everything possible to keep your child safe? They are so precious to us.

The current law (O.C.G.A. Section 40-8-76) requires all children under 6 years old to be restrained in "a child passenger restraining system appropriate for such child's height and weight and approved by the [uS DOT]." So, if there is a seat for your child's height and weight class, they should be in it.

The statute does allow for use of a lap belt if the child is at least 40 pounds AND, there is no shoulder and lap belt in the vehicle, or the available shoulder and lap belts are being used for other children.

It also requires that children be in the back seat if there is one available, which many parents either are not aware of or simply ignore.

The new law (Senate Bill 88) proposes to change the age from under 6 years old to under 8 years old.

Really, what it comes down to, is why wouldn't you do everything possible to keep your child safe? They are so precious to us.

What it really comes down to is more government intrusion into our lives.

I happen to agree with what is stated in the law. My problem is, why is there a law? Just like seat belts. Why? I don't need a nanny government to tell me how to live my life or what to do. I guess some people are just too stupid to accept personal responsibility for themselves, their actions and their families and need the gubment to tell them how to act. :wacko:

• Like 2

I happen to agree with what is stated in the law. My problem is, why is there a law? Just like seat belts. Why? I don't need a nanny government to tell me how to live my life or what to do. I guess some people are just too stupid to accept personal responsibility for themselves, their actions and their families and need the gubment to tell them how to act. :wacko:

DING, DING, DING!!!

Thank you!

Thats exactly it! Just like yesterday morning on the way to take 3rd grader to school, there was a blue Escalade directly in front of me and the child was in the way back where there are no seats or seat belts, jumping around, planting her face and hands on the back window making faces at us, climbing back and forth over the back seat. It's STUPID people like the driver of that vehicle that make these laws necessary.

I was never confused about this. I agree that we should all care. My question remains the same, when do we say enough? Do parents and adults get to make some of the decisions concerning their children or does the government get to step into every area? I think this is a question of size rather than age. Does a 4 foot 80 pound lady get to decide if she wants to sit in a booster seat or does the government get to say? My seats can be adjusted for height in my car. Should we ask for cars that change seat positions to accommodate small ladies? No I am not one. Does a child who is over sized for a booster seat need to stay in one because of his age and not his size? Those were questions that occured to me and I thought some of the p.com folks would have thoughts on the subject. I was not disappointed! LOL

Thats exactly it! Just like yesterday morning on the way to take 3rd grader to school, there was a blue Escalade directly in front of me and the child was in the way back where there are no seats or seat belts, jumping around, planting her face and hands on the back window making faces at us, climbing back and forth over the back seat. It's STUPID people like the driver of that vehicle that make these laws necessary.

See it all the time.

Their gene pools are the size of a puddle o ant piss. :lol:

The law would be for those unfortunate children with idiot parents. Maybe if they think they will get fined they will keep their kids safe.

And the poster who said some people cant fit that many seats in their cars, maybe those people should stop having babies if they can't keep the children they already have properly restrained in a moving vehicle.

Sorry, the carseat issue gets me fired up! LOL

Oh, one more thing. So many people like to say the old "I didn't have a carseat and I'm still here.." but there are plenty of children who AREN'T still here that could be if they had been in a carseat. The logic behind that statement makes no sense to me. Children DID die in car accidents when you were a kid.

The law would be for those unfortunate children with idiot parents. Maybe if they think they will get fined they will keep their kids safe.

And the poster who said some people cant fit that many seats in their cars, maybe those people should stop having babies if they can't keep the children they already have properly restrained in a moving vehicle.

Oh, one more thing. So many people like to say the old "I didn't have a carseat and I'm still here.." but there are plenty of children who AREN'T still here that could be if they had been in a carseat. The logic behind that statement makes no sense to me. Children DID die in car accidents when you were a kid.

If I didn't know better, I'd think I wrote this post! :good:

I wonder how most parents feel about the bill to require booster seats for a 7-8 year old. I think safety seats are necessary and should be required for children too small to be in a seat belt but if they keep going will the child have to be 10 before he/she gets to climb out of one? When do we say enough?

http://www.ajc.com/n...e-7-857645.html

We need less government regulation, not more. We need to get rid of the CDC and the inspectors for all food and health care professionals too. And forget any inspection of cruise ships or aircraft as that should be the function of the private sector.

Seat belts and restraint systems for children shouldn't be a government concern.

We need less government regulation, not more. We need to get rid of the CDC and the inspectors for all food and health care professionals too. And forget any inspection of cruise ships or aircraft as that should be the function of the private sector.

Seat belts and restraint systems for children shouldn't be a government concern.

Did someone steal your screen name and start posting? :o Oh, now I get it, you are joking!:rofl:

I remember riding from Ohio all the way to Florida on the rear window ledge behind the back seat of our '72 Ford Galxie. Dad having to slam on the brakes and me flying into my brother and sisters. :lol:

I'm still here......I'm just sayin.

The less government mandates, the better. However, I do think it is a good idea but like was said earlier. Age requirements should not be the baseline. Not all kids are the same. It should be a personal responsibility, not governments.

This is *exactly how I feel about it. It should be OUR decision how we raise our kids, not the government's. If people want to keep their kids in a car seat til they are 8 then that is their right as a parent, but who the heck is the gov't to demand we do it?

Edited by Jaydensmommy

I don't agree with the seatbelt law for adults. In fact, I think it is stupid. If a competent adult doesn't want to wear a seatbelt, I have no problem with it (unless they are in my car). But having laws to encourage parents to properly restrain children is totally different. A child can't make the decision on what is safe. Crash testing and statistics have proven that carseats are safer. In reality, this law shouldn't affect anyone who is already making sure their child is as safe as possible.

I am all for less government involvement, until it comes to children with crappy parents. In those situations, I'm glad there are laws and guidelines to discourage neglect, abuse, and in this case, lack of car safety.

Also, I'm sure the police, firefighters and EMT's who have to deal with infants and children involved in car accidents would appreciate it if you obeyed the child restraint laws.

I have my 6 year olds in booster seats for "around town"; but, if we go "long" distances (meaning outside of Dallas/Hiram), they MUST sit in their 5 point harness seats. I spent alot of money to upgrade to a 80 lb, 5 pt harnes seat cause my girls are so little. I think my older daughter came out of her booster at @ 9 years old (when it was to small for her). I don't care what the law says...my kids are not replaceable, and I will do all I possibly can to keep them safe :rolleyes:

Totally Agree! My 7 year old in still in a five point and will stay there!

Obvious sarcasm here :). I do wish all parents had the sense to do what is necessary to make sure their children are safe...but lets face it, some don't even feed their kids. I'm not disagreeing with you that the government needs to step in at times to mandate (legalize) issues that concern safety, especially with kids. The problem I see with this is that there are so many variables. It varies with age, weight, height, types of car, types of restraint systems, etc. Its going to be hard to write a law that makes sense of all of the variables.

A year ago a truck slammed into my Saturn totalling my car and I was hurt. Luckily, i had just dropped son off at daycare. I was cussing the teenager, who was texting I do beleive, he best be glad my son wasnt in the car, who was 4 at that time, the emt told me to calm down that my son would have been safer than I was due to his seat. SO I will keep him in this seat as long as I need to. His safety is the most improtant thing to me. My son is a tiny 5 year old, so I dont care if he is in until he is 12. What i care about is him, not what anyone thinks or says.!!!

How long til adults have to use them? This is getting ridiculous.

:good: My daughter has been the size of some adults since 3th grade. She's been 5'8" since 12. I honestly can't remember the last time she sat in a booster. It should depend on the child and it should be left to the parents discretion.

I wonder if the government is in cahoots with carseat manufacturers? :pardon:

It is ridiculous that idiots can have children and abuse them the way they do. Failing to keep them safe in a car is no different. It might be a shame that it has to be regulatec, but it does... for the safety of the children!

My almost 7 year old is still in a booster and will be for a while, not because the government tells me he has to, but because I love him and have enough sense to keep him safe.

• Like 1