Paulding.com

A random thought about the situation in Egypt

Yeah that's the idea. I noticed that they don't wear hardhats either! No construction? No "Cheeseheads" there?

I'll leave my comments on the "other thread" since eym_sirius about the issue. :lol: ;)

But really....do you think this is media hype, or what? I can't say either way, at this point.

I think the media may be playing this up some, but I am not sure how much. I have a friend who has lived in Cairo for several years now. He lives about 7 miles from Tahrir Square. He says all is quiet in his neighborhood/area, which is mostly expats. He has heard some gunfire over the last couple of nights and believes it was gunfire from the flare-ups that have happened. They have warned foreigners not to venture out for safety's sake. Otherwise, the only thing that has bothered him about this was the lack of internet service!

The Egyptian situation makes me wonder if our own rights may be under siege, in the United States!

Some people, in this country, thinks trespass is only a real estate issue. They have no idea that trespass, to the person, is the first form of trespass in the three specifications of it.

1.Trespass to the person, historically involved six separate trespasses: threats, assault, battery, wounding, mayhem, and maiming.

Some of us go around making threats at leisure, and at work, without realizing it's a violation of law. Assault is causing a person to believe that a threat will be carried out. Battery is an actual physical contact after an assault. But, a threat alone is a trespass against a persons rights.

2. Trespass to personal property.

3. Trespass to real estate.

Now, when siege plays a part it means any prolonged or persistent effort to overcome resistance, which is not a trespass. But, siege had gone own for 30 years against the Egyptian people. Their civil rights had been trampled upon.

What makes me wonder about us is; has our civil rights been trampled upon. How has this country elected Obama to be our President? Obama is a firm believer in civil rights for the people of this country. Does that have anything to do with him getting elected?

Edited by The Postman

Postman, please note that this thread is in the Internet Cafe. It's here for a reason - That reason is for people to make comments about the uprising without the comments being inherently political. That's for the political forum. The underlying causes and the residual effects, the possible implications of the political upheaval -- Political Forum Fodder.

Here, it's just what do you see from the media snippets? Guys who throw with the same foot forward, no headgear, and as a result, lots of head bandages - stuff like that.

Media types like Anderson Cooper claiming to be beaten by "thugs", but not bloodied? Not saying that it's not real you understand - just observing. I haven't turned on the t.v. today -

what's going on now? Just observations, not analysis of the politics.

Postman, please note that this thread is in the Internet Cafe. It's here for a reason - That reason is for people to make comments about the uprising without the comments being inherently political. That's for the political forum. The underlying causes and the residual effects, the possible implications of the political upheaval -- Political Forum Fodder.

Here, it's just what do you see from the media snippets? Guys who throw with the same foot forward, no headgear, and as a result, lots of head bandages - stuff like that.

Media types like Anderson Cooper claiming to be beaten by "thugs", but not bloodied? Not saying that it's not real you understand - just observing. I haven't turned on the t.v. today -

what's going on now? Just observations, not analysis of the politics.

Oh, I'm sorry, e_s!

I was under the impression that random thoughts about the situation in Egypt would be permitted in this thread!

You wouldn't be repressing the right to be random in a thread that is about random thought; would you?

Edited by The Postman

I think the media may be playing this up some, but I am not sure how much. I have a friend who has lived in Cairo for several years now. He lives about 7 miles from Tahrir Square. He says all is quiet in his neighborhood/area, which is mostly expats. He has heard some gunfire over the last couple of nights and believes it was gunfire from the flare-ups that have happened. They have warned foreigners not to venture out for safety's sake. Otherwise, the only thing that has bothered him about this was the lack of internet service!

Your friend is lucky to be in a safer area. It is very real. It is being escalated by the Egyptian government to be sure but it not being hyped by the media any more than any other situation ever is. It's actually very sad. It started out as a good thing and has gotten quite ugly.

Oh, I'm sorry, e_s!

I was under the impression that random thoughts about the situation in Egypt would be permitted in this thread!

You wouldn't be repressing the right to be random in a thread that is about random thought; would you?

It's all about context.