Paulding.com

I need ideas for a Valentine Dinner at church

I have been given the job/task of making a Valentines Dinner at my church. I need ideas for some easy, but good things to make. I have some ideas, but would love your input and/or recipies.

I'm thinking of giving the option of having Chicken Alfredo and Lasanga with a Salad Bar and a Desert Bar. What do you think of the idea? Give me your imput and recipies. Thanks.

I have been given the job/task of making a Valentines Dinner at my church. I need ideas for some easy, but good things to make. I have some ideas, but would love your input and/or recipies.

I'm thinking of giving the option of having Chicken Alfredo and Lasanga with a Salad Bar and a Desert Bar. What do you think of the idea? Give me your imput and recipies. Thanks.

I was going to suggest Italian! Spaghetti and meatballs a la "Lady and the Tramp"! ;)

If ya got the warmer trays and all beef tips and gravy with twice baked potatoes does well with chafing dishes and if ya cook it mid rare then by the time everyone arrives its usually medium at least from the warmers. Salad bar...and a bread...Ta dah.

Just a thought. (oh and i guess chicken or fish for the non beef eaters...dunno if ya are selling the tickets and they will already be aware of what is being served or what)

Oh lordie, my scouting days from nearly twenty years ago kicked in didnt it...sorry...lol

I could go on and on with meals for a large party. In this case you need to keep the theme in mind. Think about it. Do you want to try to enjoy your Valentine's evening with a partner whose been eating garlic loaded food all night?

I'd try something a little less spicy and a dessert with a little mint. How about chocolate mint ice cream or a peppermint cake?

Can you please share the recipe for the lemonade poundcake?

CAKE:

1 package (18. 25 ounces) plain white cake mix

1 cup sour cream

1 container (6 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature

3 large eggs

GLAZE:

1 cup confectioners' sugar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.

2. Place the cake mix, sour cream, lemonade concentrate, cream cheese, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look well blended.

3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.

4. Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool, 20 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by whisking the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and lemon rind in a medium mixing bowl.

6. Turn the cake out onto a serving platter. Spoon the glaze over the top.

I'm semi-homemade when it comes to my lemonade pound cake:

I just get a sara lee pound cake, pour half of a pint of lemonade over it and let it sit overnight. Then I sprinkle it with powdered sugar when I'm ready to serve it and garnish it with raspberries or Strawberries.. So good and sooo easy.

I could go on and on with meals for a large party. In this case you need to keep the theme in mind. Think about it. Do you want to try to enjoy your Valentine's evening with a partner whose been eating garlic loaded food all night?

I'd try something a little less spicy and a dessert with a little mint. How about chocolate mint ice cream or a peppermint cake?

\\

funny about the garlic breath.. but if you both eat it doesn't it cancel it out?? LOL

CAKE:

1 package (18. 25 ounces) plain white cake mix

1 cup sour cream

1 container (6 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature

3 large eggs

GLAZE:

1 cup confectioners' sugar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.

2. Place the cake mix, sour cream, lemonade concentrate, cream cheese, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look well blended.

3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.

4. Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool, 20 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by whisking the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and lemon rind in a medium mixing bowl.

6. Turn the cake out onto a serving platter. Spoon the glaze over the top.

Mmmmmmm... thank you!!!!!!!!!!

I'm semi-homemade when it comes to my lemonade pound cake:

I just get a sara lee pound cake, pour half of a pint of lemonade over it and let it sit overnight. Then I sprinkle it with powdered sugar when I'm ready to serve it and garnish it with raspberries or Strawberries.. So good and sooo easy.

\\

funny about the garlic breath.. but if you both eat it doesn't it cancel it out?? LOL

Your cake sounds good, too. And easy! Thanks!

Oven roasted chicken breasts with parsley potatoes and grilled asparagus. I would also serve warm rolls and a tossed salad with a vinaigrette dressing. Dessert could be red velvet cake, strawberries dipped in chocolate or a plate with an assortment of 4-5 mini-desserts.

If I'm dressing up for a Valentine's dinner, I don't want it to be something messy like spaghetti or BBQ. How about ham, green bean casserole, roasted little potatoes, salad with strawberries (cut in half they look like hearts), heart-shaped cookies, etc. :wub:

Of course, your menu will depend on the age group, too. :)

While some of these suggestions are extremely YUMMY, since it's being hosted by a church, please keep cost in mind of hosting the dinner.

If they are working for a profit, they can either totally jack up the prices to off-set the cost of the more elaborate meals or host an inexpensive meal for a reasonable price and not cut into their profit margin.

And if they do a more elaborate meal and only charge $20/couple, how much profit are they are really making, how much time do they have to dedicate to something more magnanimous and can they get the number of volunteers needed to effectively host it?

Just my $0.02... :pardon:

In addition to good food, would you be interested in a barbershop quartet that will deliver singing valentines?

http://www.bigchickenchorus.org

sounds great Mrs JR and if you are worried about bad breath from the garlic, you could always buy the red and pink Tic Tacks and have them placed on the table in a bowl..

Thanks for all the ideas. Garlic....I didn't think of the issue with garlic. LOL

This dinner will be for adults. We actually have had this type of dinner before, but it's the first time I was asked to do it. The past two years it's been so much fun. After the dinner we have a talent show. Well, it's more like the Gong Show. I have left this event hurting from laughing so much. Then we play a version of the Newlywed game and it's so funny.

I think in the past we have charged like $10.00 a couple just to offset some of the cost and we have our nursery workers help with the kids so the adults can enjoy themselves. Oh, thinking about the kids made me remember they did serve something for the kids too. Now, adding that to my list of things to do.

Thanks

Edited by Mrs. Jack Russell