Paulding.com

Is It Appropriate To Wear Any Type Of Clothing To Church?

While visiting a local church back during the summer I was seated behind a couple. The woman appeared to be in her mid to late 30s. They had two young girls with them. The woman's clothing just barely----and I mean literally just barely covered her private parts. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone wearing shorts that were any shorter---anywhere. It was hard not to notice since she was right in front of me. Also, she would regularly bend over to one of the little girls.

So I was wondering what all of you think? This was not the first time I had been to this church, and I had seen this couple before. I saw them chatting with others there so they seemed to be regulars at this church. I visited there a few times but haven't been back lately.

So do you think it's appropriate to wear any type of clothing to church?

(I'm hoping this can stay in the internet cafe so more people will see it and can contribute their thoughts.)

While visiting a local church back during the summer I was seated behind a couple. The woman appeared to be in her mid to late 30s. They had two young girls with them. The woman's clothing just barely----and I mean literally just barely covered her private parts. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone wearing shorts that were any shorter---anywhere. It was hard not to notice since she was right in front of me. Also, she would regularly bend over to one of the little girls.

So I was wondering what all of you think? This was not the first time I had been to this church, and I had seen this couple before. I saw them chatting with others there so they seemed to be regulars at this church. I visited there a few times but haven't been back lately.

So do you think it's appropriate to wear any type of clothing to church?

(I'm hoping this can stay in the internet cafe so more people will see it and can contribute their thoughts.)

Did you get her number? :diablo:

What's worse, being in church in short shorts or not being in church at all? And while we may not want to see her "junk" is it really for us to judge her choice of clothing? A number of churches in the area have started making a point of saying "come as you are." Maybe through going to church she will eventually learn some modesty, maybe not. The job of the church is to bring people to it, not push them away.

• Like 5

God would not want you look like a skank. So, respect him in his house.

Many Churches now have casual dress- This means a shirt and pants. IMO

Not showing or nearly showing your private parts.

^ +5

I was raised Southern Baptist and in my adult years attended Independent Baptist churches. Women were not allowed to even wear dress pants in the Fellowship Hall of the Independent Baptist churches. So, when we started attending a Contemporary Methodist church a few years ago it took me by surprised how people - men and women - were dressed in the sanctuary. Short-shorts, sandles, tank tops, etc, etc. I actually felt guilty wearing blue jeans to church on Easter~I thought back to my white patent shoes, Easter bonnet and gloves knowing my Momma was turning over in her grave.

I understand their reasoning in not expecting men to wear suits and ties and women to wear their best dresses. Jesus said: "Come as you are." But, personally I think some people take it a bit TOO far!!

I am curious, if you saw this in the Summer why did you wait until mid-Jan to ask about it?? ;)

• Like 1

What's worse, being in church in short shorts or not being in church at all? And while we may not want to see her "junk" is it really for us to judge her choice of clothing? A number of churches in the area have started making a point of saying "come as you are." Maybe through going to church she will eventually learn some modesty, maybe not. The job of the church is to bring people to it, not push them away.

Yeah, I get it. Jesus loved the prostitutes...Still, have some friggin decorum. And yes, it's for me to judge. If you're showing it to me, I'm going to judge it.

Generally speaking, I don't see a million butt cracks a day...so when I do, I usually notice.

• Like 1

I was raised in a Baptist Church too... so my thoughts growing up and as an adult is no pants in the church. Me personally, it feels weird to wear pants in church.

In my opionion, things today are to laid back, some churchs you could go to church Sunday morning then leave and go straight to the lake with what you had on at church.

While I do feel that being in church is far more important that what you have on, I still feel that the sense of "respect" should be exhibited. My boys haven't wore shorts to church since they were 7 or 8 years old, and especially not flip flops or sandels. I still try to teach them respectful dressing at church.

Church people, remember!

“Judge not, lest ye not be judged.” (Matthew 7:1)

I did not judge them, it just took me by surprise and took some getting used to. It took me awhile to be able to even wear jeans. Plus, they took coffee and drinks into the sanctuary. I had never seen that either but to each their own.

God would not want you look like a skank. So, respect him in his house.

Many Churches now have casual dress- This means a shirt and pants. IMO

Not showing or nearly showing your private parts.

lol (i got my belly laugh from this today, thank you) You go there to worship HIM... so it is best to dress in a manner that he would approve of. Whatever that means to YOU. I think it is an individual thing between God and YOU.

Edited by MJF

Church people, remember!

Judge not, lest ye not be judged. (Matthew 7:1)

Are schools judging students if they have certain clothing codes? I'm not saying churches should or shouldn't have certain standards of dress, but students come to school to learn and certain types of clothing can distract them from that purpose. I think if a male; for example a teenage boy or young man had been in my seat instead of me the day I was there he may have been even more distracted than I was---from what people are supposed to be in church for.

Church people, remember!

“Judge not, lest ye not be judged.” (Matthew 7:1)

I think it's "lest ye be judged". Being offended by inappropriate showing of body parts in church is not the same thing as judging, imo.

• Like 1

I was brought up to wear the best you have to church, if it is a pair of jeans then so be it.. I never wore pants to church, it was a personal preference. I did not think it would kill me to dress like I should a few times a week. which was a dress..

I also dress appropriate when I go out in public, I do not wear booty shorts, or see through tops,(with no bra) just the way I was brought up.. I think it has a lot to do with the way you were brought up.

I also believe that wearing shorts to a funeral home is poor choice of clothing.. but that is just me..

it all has to do with respect for the Lord's house, and respect for the families at the funeral home.

and I am not judging, this is all just a personal preference for me. if you can go to either of the places I named, and be comfortable with the way you are dressed then that is between you and your conscious.

I go to a church that dresses casual and may very well be the church that you attended. I may even know who you are talking about~lol. I do think people need to think about dressing respectfully but I know sometimes you have to get people in the door in the first place before they can come to that conclusion on their own.

I appreciate that I go to a church that doesn't judge others on how they dress. The pastor has however worked into a few of his lessons that you should save the sexy stuff for your spouse at home.

I agree with who ever said it was better to be there no matter how your dressed than to not be there at all.

What jet-man said.

My daughter has put on her wedding invites. Casual Dress (Late Afternoon wedding) no blue jeans please.

There is appropriate attire to ware to church and shorts, flip-flops and halters are not what you ware.

Yes, i do think it is appropriate to wear clohting to chuch, unless you go to a nudist church, then it would be optional.

For some [ with body shapes like mine] clothing is not only appropriate, but vital for the mental and phisical health of others [ to prevent them from having recurring nightmares and intense cases of volmiting].

This being said , I do think that people should dress in a way that would show respect to God.

• Like 1

It's too much trouble to dress up. The occasion is not worth it. I want my mode of dress to reflect my individuality. I'm just not a formal person. I'm going to the ball game afterward. I'm not comfortable in good clothes. Everybody else dresses this way. We look at the person, not what he's wearing. I don't own a suit! He'll just outgrow a suit, so why buy him one? I LIKE the way my butt looks in my jeans. Dressing up is pretentious. That was grandma's way. This is my way. Good clothes cost a lot of money. Who cares what I wear? I have self-confidence issues, so I don't want people looking at me all dressed up. I don't like for people to say anything about the way I dress, so I blend in. I'm a plain person, so I wear plain clothes. A suit or a dress what's that? They didn't have a suit for sale at the Wal-Mart.

What jet-man said.

My daughter has put on her wedding invites. Casual Dress (Late Afternoon wedding) no blue jeans please.

There is appropriate attire to ware to church and shorts, flip-flops and halters are not what you ware.

Oh bless your heart. If you think they're going to wear blue jeans to a WEDDING, best just to leave those folks off the list.

I think anything that keeps people from being able to pay attention to the sermon, should be addressed. If you have someone that constantly talks, extremely noisy children, someone that pops their chewing gum, revealing clothing, etc., that it is up to the head of the church to take action (preferably in private) to keep these things from happening so that everyone can enjoy their worship.

Edited by sugail

Forgive me if I seemed judgmental. Do I think there is more appropriate clothing to wear to church Yes. But do I think I should judge another person No. I believe in keeping that person coming to church and when your heart changes inside then you will want to change outside.

Really?

Judging ones mom jeans vs being able to see someone's nene in Church is two different things.

Edited by Spunkywman

I think it's "lest ye be judged".

There is no version of the bible that says that.

It is (I was off a little too)

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

The New Living Translation states:

"Stop judging others, and you will not be judged.

Edited by Harlee71
  • Like 1

I see it both ways.

I was brought up to believe that when in God's house you always honor him by wearing your best. This included not only the quality and style of clothes, but also the cleanliness. Remember mom polishing your shoes Saturday evenings?

Now that I'm older I tend to not think that way as much. I'm very glad that many churches offer non-traditional services. God already knows what my junk looks like. I don't believe he wants us to be ashamed of our bodies. Do you remember hearing that your body is a temple? If anyone has an issue with the clothes someone else wears in church, well, it's only their interpretation of what's acceptable and not acceptable. Imagine what octogenarians think when they see ladies without hosiery or slips. Oh, the scandle!

By the way, when I go to church I typically wear a conservative dress or skirt and blouse. I don't dress to please anyone except my family. I would never wear something that would cause them embarrassment. However, if I saw someone scantily dressed I wouldn't think they were unacceptable. I'd just think they must be very proud of what God gave them.

When I was growing up girls and women always wore dresses or skirts and blouses to church and school. Girls weren't allowed to wear any type of pants to school until I was in high school. I only wore dresses to church for a long time. I still wear dresses to church sometimes, but I've visited some churches during the last couple of years where I was the only woman there that Sunday wearing a dress. I have worn pants to church before; maybe cotton capris in summer or wool pants when when it was cold.

Shouldn't you put aside all worldly things when you enter the church? Aren't clothing items "man-made adornments"?

I challenge everyone to put away things of adornment and enter the HOUSE as you entered the world!!

Without the umbilical chord, of course.

• Like 1

I wore dresses and skirts until I was in the fifth grade, also.

But, if you are going to the Lords house to worship, you should RESPECT the Lord and his house!!! I would NEVER wear pants to Church for any Church Services, I have a few times worn pants/capris to baby Showers and/or Birthday Parties that were held in the Fellowship Hall. I'm just an Old Fashioned Girl but, that's just ME!!!

I see it both ways.

By the way, when I go to church I typically wear a conservative dress or skirt and blouse. I don't dress to please anyone except my family. I would never wear something that would cause them embarrassment. However, if I saw someone scantily dressed I wouldn't think they were unacceptable. I'd just think they must be very proud of what God gave them.

Some people might think differently and the Bible mentions that certain ways of dressing can be associated with certain behavior. And this is just an example. I'm not trying to imply that the woman was dressing like a postitute:

Proverbs 7 (New International Version, ©2010)

7 I saw among the simple,

I noticed among the young men,

a youth who had no sense...

10 Then out came a woman to meet him,

dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.

Shouldn't you put aside all worldly things when you enter the church? Aren't clothing items "man-made adornments"?

I challenge everyone to put away things of adornment and enter the HOUSE as you entered the world!!

Without the umbilical chord, of course.

Here's a description of how Adam and Eve used fig leaves to cover themselves:

Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Genesis 3:7 NIV