Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
retiredteacher

Sitting in a room at Paulding Hospital

If you can't say anything nice on this topic, please, back out now.

My Mother had what my Grandmother would call a sinking spell yesterday. Literally. She was not hungry at lunch and before she could get back to the bedroom to lie down, she was draped over the walker and unable to make it to the bed.

I called 911 and they sent the folks to get her and take her to the hospital. Her heart rate was sky-high. She got a shot right away to bring the HR down and they started trying to find out what was happening. She's 92, BTW.

Back at the ranch, as the saying goes, my wonderful neighbor came over to break up the ice so I could get my car out and follow to the hospital.

They decided to keep her overnight for observation. This is the best experience in a hospital yet! She's been in 5 or 6 different ones. Small town hospitals are very warm and friendly.

The people on the floor are so nice! One of the housekeepers was ahead of me in the cafeteria line for breakfast and she paid for my breakfast!

Wow! The food is really good, too.

I love the dedication plaques on the doors of the patient rooms. I'd never seen that before. I've been to Tanner with my friend, but it wasn't the same feeling.

I know there are people who have not had good experiences here, but you won't convince me it's not as good as I think it is. Oh, the other thing is that Mom is a good patient and always thanks people for any little thing they do for her! They really do go out of their way for her, I believe.

To Faye, thank you for breakfast and to all of the lovely ladies in and out of 323, you are the dream team! :clapping: :good:

Edited by retiredteacher

I totally agree Paulding Hospital is the best. My daughter had a compound fracture to her arm and she was in the hospital for four days. The staff was great they were there for my whole family. This was over seven years ago. I have been singing their praises for years.

I hope that your mother gets well soon. We have always had good experiences at Paulding Hospital, and I can't wait until they give that wonderful staff a new modern facility to work in.

I hope your Mom gets better soon.

And although I've really not needed the hospital, glad to hear you are having a good experience.

I was in Paulding hospital in May for 3 days. The nursing staff was exceptional. The room however made me feel like I was in a funeral home. The first night I even dreamed I way in a coffin. The room I was in did not have a shower or tub, just a sink and toilet. The bed would inflat and deflat continuously making a loud clanging noise. I felt like I was laying in the bed of a red rider wagon. The wonderful, caring and embarassed nurses would bring me a microwaved package of whipes to bath with, seriously.

Paulding is certainly due for this new hospital I keep hearing about. I won't be going back to the old one.

• Like 1

I'm glad that you and your mother are having a positive experience with the hospital, and I hope they are able to help her to feel better soon. Bless you both!

I am glad you and your Mom are having a good experience and I hope they are able to find the cause of her sinking spell so she feels better soon. (My Grandmother used the same description. :))

A few months ago I posted a similar thread after a great experience in the Paulding ER. They discovered DS had a kidney disease he inherited from me - he was not having symptoms with his kidneys and they had no knowledge of the family history. As sad as I was I was very impressed with their ability to diagnose the disease. We have not had experiences being admitted to Paulding (because of my kidney transplant they always transfer me to Kennestone where my kidney Doctor is). But, we have had many experiences in the ER and they are always very professional, thorough and SUPER NICE. I look forward to them getting the new facility, too.

Paulding Hospital...I've been there several times since we've lived here. My first time was only 2 weeks after we moved to Paulding when I fell down the stairs of our new house and broke both legs...ouch!

I've always found the staff at Paulding to be very professional, friendly and caring, even more so than other hospitals I've been to. As a caregiver I've been in a number of metro hospitals acting as an advocate for my client.

I'm glad your mom is receiving top notch care and hope she is feeling better really soon!

I've never been a patient at Paulding but have used the outpatient testing (lab and xray) for probably 14 years. I have NEVER had a bad experience there. The people are just incredibly nice and considerate. It's actually closer for me to go to Cobb but I hate that place!! People are wonderful but the wait for anything is long.

I did spend a few hours in the ER at Paulding with a friend a few years ago. The ER staff was great!! To me and to her.

Paulding Hospital...I've been there several times since we've lived here. My first time was only 2 weeks after we moved to Paulding when I fell down the stairs of our new house and broke both legs...ouch!

GAH!!!!!!! Bless your heart!!! Oh, man, that just made me get tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

Oh, and OP - I'm glad your experience has been good, and I hope your mom feels better soon. (And I love that saying, "sinking spell". Classic.)

Edited by mei lan

We've had only good experiences at Paulding Hospital. Everyone is very professional, even the maintenance people.

Hope your mom gets better. I too have had many experiences with a lot of hospitals. I like Paulding and it has the best food of any that I have been in.

I had my surgery there a few months ago.. everyone was Leary of me using the hospital.. but I did anyway.. and I was very very pleased with the nursing staff and doctors I would not have said that about 7 years ago.. I am glad they kept your mom just to be on the safe side..

I remember ther old wooden hospital on main street, where that big parking lot and Bell South are now. My Grandfather lived right behind it on S. Johnson St. next to the old county barn for the road department. Then in around 1956 they

built the sheriff's office and jail where the county barn used to be on the corner of W. Spring St. and S. johnson.

I rember how proud the county was when they built the new [at that time] hospital. Then after 1970, they kept building more extentions to it [ you can still see the orginal new hospital hidden behind the emergency room area.

All thease years, i have always had good experences with that hospital. I sort of hate to see them move it out of Dallas. I know the new location will be mare convenuet for most folks, but I liked that hospital.

I have been at Paulding Hospital several time as well. The last two times I was there I had to hospitalized and the staff was exceptional as well. The nurses took very good care of me and my husband as well. I hope that your mom gets well soon.

Hey RetiredTeacher

Saw earlier on FB about your mom and posted there. While checking pcom tonight, saw your post here. Hope your mom is doing much better by now. So glad to know that the overall hospital experience has been a good one.

I used Paulding Hospital several times, several different ER visits over several years, OP surgery, and another time I had an overnight stay. All of my experiences there were excellent, all with great staff.

Hope your mom gets better quickly and is back at home.

I had always heard all the "bad" stuff about the hospital. Then my DH had his heart attack 12/28/2008. They were fantastic. They were very mindful about our then 9yr old son. They answered any questions he asked, and not in that oh it's going to be OK voice people use with little kids. They took him outside to watch the helicopter land and explained that it was going to take daddy to another hospital. They were the best.

I hope your mom gets better soon. God bless her.:wub:

I never had a bad or good there,visited people & took step son for a broken arm. Never had a bad experience. I can't say the same about others.

Now in my line of work I move inmates all over Atlanta at several hospitals. I can say there has been a good change at the hospitals. Grady hospital is filled with staff from all over the world,there very professional. The same with Atlanta medical center and Emory is on top of there game.

The small hospitals are the warmest and are the most friendly,Douglasville is quite friendly. Tanner has more younger staff but also carries a very small town atmosphere.

Many years back, prior to WellStar's involvement, the Paulding Hospital was pretty rough, and we had several less than stellar occurrences.

But I have been suitably impressed with WellStar for quite awhile now.

When they took over their group of Hospitals they laid out their plans short and long term, and they have made good on their word. Kennestone and South Cobb were better suited infrastructure and geographywise to have the maternity and surigical units.

But we will be getting ours with the new hospital at 278 & 120. We have the imaging center now. Absolute state of the art with nothing finer available anywhere.

What impresses me the most with WellStar though is the attitude of the staff. They really do care about the patients and that is evident to anyone who has needed their services.

John Law, the Paulding Administrator and Jane Ragsdale, his right arm for infectious disease control and nursing have both retired this past year. That bites, but they had earned it and had it coming.

Kudos to WellStar and their staff.

Many years back, prior to WellStar's involvement, the Paulding Hospital was pretty rough, and we had several less than stellar occurrences.

But I have been suitably impressed with WellStar for quite awhile now.

When they took over their group of Hospitals they laid out their plans short and long term, and they have made good on their word. Kennestone and South Cobb were better suited infrastructure and geographywise to have the maternity and surigical units.

But we will be getting ours with the new hospital at 278 & 120. We have the imaging center now. Absolute state of the art with nothing finer available anywhere.

What impresses me the most with WellStar though is the attitude of the staff. They really do care about the patients and that is evident to anyone who has needed their services.

John Law, the Paulding Administrator and Jane Ragsdale, his right arm for infectious disease control and nursing have both retired this past year. That bites, but they had earned it and had it coming.

Kudos to WellStar and their staff.

yep that about sums it up...

Retiredteacher, any updates on your mom? I hope she is doing better... :)

checking to see if there is an update also..

"Best care anywhere!"

Miss my colleagues.

CR

I agree. It is not the care or staff I had a problem with... :)

Mother is comfortable and feels fine. Her heart rate is still out of control so the cardiologist is trying new meds and monitoring her HR. Dr. Peshel just came in and explained what she was going to do. I like her very much. It's a waiting game now.

Thanks for asking!