Paulding.com

No school Thursday ... it's official

Flag on the play!! Foul!

:lol:

I started a thread and had a link and everything.

Hey, why are we doing this in this thread? You're a trouble-maker. :ninja:

I threw a Hale Mary LOL

me a trouble maker 8)

My guessis that they go back Tuesday and we will not have the winter break in Feb. Just my guess.

MUCH cheaper to just do what they did this last year and add a few minutes each day after Spring break. Doesn't help the teachers get ready for CRCT but when the budget is as tight as it is I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the cheaper route win.

MUCH cheaper to just do what they did this last year and add a few minutes each day after Spring break. Doesn't help the teachers get ready for CRCT but when the budget is as tight as it is I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the cheaper route win.

They will need to make up 1,800 minutes correct? 5 X (6 X 60) = 1,800

If there are 90 days left (not certain without a calender) then they need 20 min / day starting now. I am thinking about Elem. School here.

They will need to make up 1,800 minutes correct? 5 X (6 X 60) = 1,800

If there are 90 days left (not certain without a calender) then they need 4 min / day starting now. I am thinking about Elem. School here.

Not a chance they do that. 4 minutes per day is beyond pointless. Look at what they did last year. That sort of thing would make more sense if they were looking at the extended day option for making it up.

Not a chance they do that. 4 minutes per day is beyond pointless. Look at what they did last year. That sort of thing would make more sense if they were looking at the extended day option for making it up.

That is what I thought I was discussing. Total minutes missed divided by days remaining = minutes extra per day. :pardon:

That is what I thought I was discussing. Total minutes missed divided by days remaining = minutes extra per day. :pardon:

Right but they did it in a way that made sense. I don't remember how long it was but it was 15 or 20 minutes or whatever each day. Some amount of time that actually mattered each day. That's what I meant. 4 minutes per day is only meeting a technicality but is doing absolutely nothing for the kids.

I cant imagine they'll start adding minutes until after spring break. We still have plenty of time in January, February, and March for dicey weather. Once the larger threat of bad weather is over they'll decide what to do and when.

One more thing. They can't decide what to do until they request a state waiver due to the "state of emergency" and get a response. There is a chance the state does not require us to make up these days at all. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Right but they did it in a way that made sense. I don't remember how long it was but it was 15 or 20 minutes or whatever each day. Some amount of time that actually mattered each day. That's what I meant. 4 minutes per day is only meeting a technicality but is doing absolutely nothing for the kids.

It was 15 minutes add to last year snow/ice/flood days.

That would be the last 24 weeks of school @ 15 min / day. My math was wrong the first time. They would need 20 min / day starting now. I converted twice the first time.

1800 min. / 90 days = 20 min / day

For the teachers and kids, I hope they give them time sooner rather than later. They already don't have enough time to get through everything they need to before CRCT.

For the budget's sake, adding time to each day after Spring break is the way to go.

And no matter what the board decides they will be lambasted. Let the fun begin. :lol:

And we will soon hear from the folks that have vacation plans for that week.

Me first.... My daughter is an Allstar Cheerleader and we will be going to Texas for a competition that week. It is something that has been planned now for the whole season and it's the biggest one of the year for us. We are driving and need the days for travel..... so PLEASE don't take it away....

My guess is that they go back Tuesday and we will not have the winter break in Feb. Just my guess.

The problem with that is that they will pay out the nose for substitutes (if they can even find them) for all the teachers that won't be there.

Additionally, attendance is part of AYP. Since the county is on its last year to make AYP before the state steps in, I doubt they're going to try and make the days up during either of the breaks, knowing that student attendance will be WAY down.

The problem with that is that they will pay out the nose for substitutes (if they can even find them) for all the teachers that won't be there.

Additionally, attendance is part of AYP. Since the county is on its last year to make AYP before the state steps in, I doubt they're going to try and make the days up during either of the breaks, knowing that student attendance will be WAY down.

:good:

I cant imagine they'll start adding minutes until after spring break. We still have plenty of time in January, February, and March for dicey weather. Once the larger threat of bad weather is over they'll decide what to do and when.

One more thing. They can't decide what to do until they request a state waiver due to the "state of emergency" and get a response. There is a chance the state does not require us to make up these days at all. We'll just have to wait and see.

The state will only wavior 4 days, you know last year they did not wavior all of the days.

And while that makes sense to wait, that is the absolute worst time for them to add the time. We need the time now, as we gear up to finish our standards before the CRCT. And before people get started, it's not teaching to the test. Rather, my job is to teach the GPS for my grade-level. And, since the state requires that the kids know those standards for the CRCT, I'd better be through them by then.

The state will only wavior 4 days, you know last year they did not wavior all of the days.

They can actually waive as many as they choose on an individual basis.

The county, however, chose not to apply for a waiver on all the days last year. Instead, they chose to call school on the furlough days, as well as adding minutes at the end of the year.

Me first.... My daughter is an Allstar Cheerleader and we will be going to Texas for a competition that week. It is something that has been planned now for the whole season and it's the biggest one of the year for us. We are driving and need the days for travel..... so PLEASE don't take it away....

I understand your frustration with this (after many years myself of cheerleading in high school and college) however, (in my opinion), being inconvenienced over a cheerleading competition is a little more insignificant than potentially saving the lives of our Paulding County students by keeping them safe and sound and off the streets during a significant snow storm.

From what I understand from the news medias today, 49 of our 50 states have some sort of snow on the ground right now so this is not anything that is exclusive to us - I'm sure lots of adjustments will have to be made in every state facing this issue - not much any of us can do about Mother Nature as she has a mind of her own.

Hopefully, there will be a fair solution to making up these days but you know, you just can't please everyone, not matter how hard you try and I can pretty much guarantee that everyone is not going to be satisfied with the decisions the BOE makes regarding these snow days. They will be in a "no win" situation through no fault of their own.