Paulding.com

How do your animals like the snow?

I had surgery on my hand so I can't do much. My Dane Hoss pestered me since 4 am to go out. I knew it snowed and wasn't going to attempt this feat till later. He is kinda dopey. So at about 6 am I got up and let him out. He was kinda unsure but made it down the 5 steps no problem. Every step he took he would lift his leg and in a hurry got his business done.

He went back to the steps and refused to go back up them. I was like Hoss my hand is in a cast and I can't clear it for you. He just kept getting upset barking so I had to get my son up to sweep the steps for him.

Meanwhile my crazy orange cat has made it a habit to run out the door to be with Hoss. But this time he ran out and came to a screeching halt just noticing that white stuff is deep. He then turned and ran back inside.

How are ur pets doing in this weather?

Our dogs are looking longingly at the doggy door, but won't go out it and there are absolutely NO doggy footprints in the snow. I'm afraid they may explode! I think I may have to make a path for them on the deck and down the stairs.

Edited by momof 3

Your dogs are so cute. The older one looks like he is showing the younger one what to do and you can see how much he adores her.

Thanks!

Daisy (lab/chow mix) and Coco (chocolate lab puppy) are LOVING the snow!

BG1, your dogs are very happy looking. Love the pup!

They have been so funny chasing each other in the snow!

my old guy (dog) didn't care about the snow and ice, just couldn't get his feet underneath himself (which is a huge problem on normal dry ground), but he did do what he needed to outside and we'll try again tomorrow.

my gal (dog) did good but didn't understand the "crunch-fall" motion she had to do ... but she did serveral in-out-in-out sessions today so was good to go!

Two (out of 4) cats ventured out. 1 for only 5 minutes, twice, then called it quits (she isn't one who usually goes out anyway, but :o) and the other was in-out-in-out-in-out as much as he could stand.

I don't know how the heck the dogs are going to be able to go out to potty later.

It's already a sheet of ice across the yard and when I took them earlier Daisy was able to crunch through the snow because she's bigger, but poor Coco was just sliding across the top!!

I don't know how the heck the dogs are going to be able to go out to potty later.

It's already a sheet of ice across the yard and when I took them earlier Daisy was able to crunch through the snow because she's bigger, but poor Coco was just sliding across the top!!

Their people are suppose to be out there shoving; clearing them a path (in the yard; thank you). :)

(I hope I didn't come across too harsh sounding. My Pekingese really did appreciate me clearing off a couple of small areas in the backyard for her though.)

We went out and started with a shovel but it went too deep in spots and went down to dirt. I didn't want the mud snow mix this early so I took a metal rake and stamped down a good sized area, breaking up the top ice for ours.

It really helped because the top coat of ice was slick and they couldn't crunch through it by this afternoon, they ended up spread eagle before paws broke through and we were afraid someone would get hurt.

They are back to snow loing happy puppies now.

Their people are suppose to be out there shoving; clearing them a path (in the yard; thank you). :)

(I hope I didn't come across too harsh sounding. My Pekingese really did appreciate me clearing off a couple of small areas in the backyard for her though.)

I'm picking up what your laying down!

We've been out enough that we now have a crunched down path from the front door out to the trees/bushes out in the yard.

This is where they are "taking care of business". :lol:

We just keep going out and stomping over the same areas!

My golden retriever LOVES the powdery snow, where she runs and skids like a maniac. However, she refuses to step foot on the icy snow. Even after my husband stomped down a path into the yard for her. Instead, she is "doing her business" on the concrete patio under the deck. Oh well, at least it's not in the house!

Now my dane refuses to go up the stairs. So we took him around to the garage to bring him up those steps. He went up 2 steps to the landing and refuses to go up the next 10 steps. So that is where he will stay for a while. I salted the outside steps and put cat litter on them cause there is only 4 steps there. All this started at 4 am. At least he is warm now.

We went out and started with a shovel but it went too deep in spots and went down to dirt. I didn't want the mud snow mix this early...

I've learned some things from this experience that I hope will help any time snow (and especially this crunchy snow) is predicted. Next time I think if I put down a few pieces of scrap cardboard on the ground in the backyard then I can remove it after the snow stops and have some grass showing. Even a large overturned flower pot or bucket with a brick or rock on top would probably work. :)