Paulding.com

sweet 16 dilema

last week I asked for suggestions on places to have my daughters sweet 16 party. I got some great suggestions but my daughter is pretty insistant she doesnt want a party. We may still do one anyway but anyone have any suggestions of something other than a party?

I suggested maybe a limo to take her and a few friends out somewhere locally. She said no. I suggested a nice date night for her and her boyfriend she said no. Im out of ideas especially being limited with the weather and the money.

And I need some suggestions other then spa things/girlie things because she will want her boyfriend involved in whatever she does.

Thank you :)

Hmmm...well, if she's insistent she doesn't want a party, I personally wouldn't push it. What about dinner at a very nice restaurant instead? Her, her bf, you, your husband, maybe? YOu said she said no to date night, but that's all I could come up with.

Otherwise, I might work on picking her brain to see if something's bothering her or what she's really thinking. Not that something has to be bothering someone who doesn't want a party (I don't like parties for me, either), but she is 16, after all, and teenagers have been known to be a little weird. (I love teenagers, btw...they're my favorite age group. They're just a little weird is all. :D)

lol she is so difficult bc she is so laid back and easy going....she never asks for anything. Other then cheering at her hs she really prefers hanging out in small groups. Not really sure why but she has always been that way.

I talked to her about the party and she just says well I dont want to just have a party like everyone else, I want something different.

I know some of her friends have had regular parties, just hanging out. Some had parties at hotel. Some had parties where band was hired/shirts made/etc....that is so not in our fireman salary :rofl:

I dont want to push but I also dont want to do nothing :( she is always reliant on me for ideas/suggestions and for once I just dont have any.

I thought about the concert but the ppl she likes as far as music usually sell out so quickly and im not sure what else show wise she would like.

lol she is so difficult bc she is so laid back and easy going....she never asks for anything. Other then cheering at her hs she really prefers hanging out in small groups. Not really sure why but she has always been that way.

I talked to her about the party and she just says well I dont want to just have a party like everyone else, I want something different.

I know some of her friends have had regular parties, just hanging out. Some had parties at hotel. Some had parties where band was hired/shirts made/etc....that is so not in our fireman salary :rofl:

I dont want to push but I also dont want to do nothing :( she is always reliant on me for ideas/suggestions and for once I just dont have any.

I thought about the concert but the ppl she likes as far as music usually sell out so quickly and im not sure what else show wise she would like.

Is she into theater at all? The Broadway show of Beauty and the Beast is touring and will be in Atlanta this month at the Fox Theater! Publix has half off tix for certain dates. That will be an amazing show for all ages!!

im not sure but I will start asking/pushing/looking outside the box haha.

I asked her what she has against parties and she said if we dont do something extra it will just be lame.....and ppl only go to parties if there is alcohol. My friend said her daughter said the same thing when they talked about a party last year. Now her boyfriend and best friend and I are still going with the surprise party idea and they know I wont allow alcohol so I guess I need to come up with some kind of plan so it wont be 'lame' :rofl:

thank you for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming. I only have 2 weeks

im not sure but I will start asking/pushing/looking outside the box haha.

I asked her what she has against parties and she said if we dont do something extra it will just be lame.....and ppl only go to parties if there is alcohol. My friend said her daughter said the same thing when they talked about a party last year. Now her boyfriend and best friend and I are still going with the surprise party idea and they know I wont allow alcohol so I guess I need to come up with some kind of plan so it wont be 'lame' :rofl:

thank you for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming. I only have 2 weeks

What exactly does she mean about doing something extra? I know it's hard to keep up with the families that can go all out for parties. My son won't go to parties if he thinks there is going to be smoking or alcohol. I don't know how much longer he will feel that way, he'll be 16 in June. He talks about the expensive cars kids get when they turn 16 and he's been invited to some of the parties for kids that go to his school (North). If there is something that she is really into and just do that for her small group of friends, maybe that's all she needs. Or take the money that you spend on something lavish and put it in a savings account for her.

Hmmm...well, if she's insistent she doesn't want a party, I personally wouldn't push it. What about dinner at a very nice restaurant instead? Her, her bf, you, your husband, maybe? YOu said she said no to date night, but that's all I could come up with.

Otherwise, I might work on picking her brain to see if something's bothering her or what she's really thinking. Not that something has to be bothering someone who doesn't want a party (I don't like parties for me, either), but she is 16, after all, and teenagers have been known to be a little weird. (I love teenagers, btw...they're my favorite age group. They're just a little weird is all. :D)

Yep, all the things you said!

Turning 16 is really difficult and the peer pressure is tremendous. Not "peer pressure" to do bad things necessarly, but pressure to account to your peers and then to have to endure a scathing comment. It's easier to say, when someone asks about her birthday, "I told my mom I didn't want a party" than to say "We had a party with just a few people and ___________" and to have the other people say -- "How lame!" Teen insecurity and angst!

I suggest giving her a choice, one being to give her the money that you'd spend on a party. Then, when her friends ask what she got for her birthday, she could say, My mom offered me a party or the money -- I took the money! Who is going to say "lame" to that??? The other choice doesn't have to be a party. It's the pressure, though that is behind the lack of ideas by the 16 year old. It has to be perfect, in her mind.

You could drive her and her boyfriend up to Nashville and go to the Grand Ole Opry. Drive up Saturday morning, get two rooms at the hotel (Dad & boyfriend in one, Mom & daughter in the other). Watch the show Saturday night (be sure to send a note backstage so the host can mention the Sweet 16 trip onstage) and drive back Sunday.

You could drive her and her boyfriend up to Nashville and go to the Grand Ole Opry. Drive up Saturday morning, get two rooms at the hotel (Dad & boyfriend in one, Mom & daughter in the other). Watch the show Saturday night (be sure to send a note backstage so the host can mention the Sweet 16 trip onstage) and drive back Sunday.

This is a good idea!

Find what cheap flights AirTran has going and go to another city for dinner.

And this is a really good idea! I would have loved something like this. You could do this and maybe you could take her and a girlfriend or two if the girls' parents (or the girl if she has a job) didn't care and could get the ticket. Stay overnight and leave the next day. Somewhere with really awesome shopping, too! lol

My daughter didn't want a party either. I was so disappointed. We we are from, sweet 16's are big events and I was ready to go find a gown with her :(

We took her on a cruise instead. She loved it! You can get a really inexpensive 3 or 4 day cruise.......even if it is just a mommy/daughter thing.

We went to the Shakespeare Tavern last night - $12 tickets - nothing on the menu over $10. We had a blast and spent less money than a movie and had a much better time. If she's the drama type - maybe this would be up her alley. The current production is "The Twelth (sp?) Night." A little risque, but very, very funny.

A friend of mine went ziplining a few weeks ago and said she had the BEST time. I think her & her boyfriend would enjoy that. It would be a memorable experience. I'd suggest that or maybe taking her, her boyfriend or another friend to eat Japanese. ???

I have several suggestions.

1. Takes a bit more planning on your part, but is alot of fun. Hire alimo (amazingly, we have a limo! lol) Stock the limo with treats from the bakery. Have her invite say 6 or so friends and go on a Scavenger Hunt! You can prearrange it. Go to different places and leave clues for them to find, each leading them to a new place and a small gift for her. The last clue will lead them to you for a wonderful cake (guess where I will suggest you get it from? ;) ) You could have them go to the mall and look in the bookstore at a certain book for a clue. Or drive thru Starbucks, or go to the skating rink, or in a grave yard!

2. Have a gaming party! you can rent game systems, like the new one where you are the controller. Have different games set up thru the room. A poker table, video games, board game. Hire a dj or get someone you know who is very good at getting people involved to keep things going. play music, have "poker party" type foods. Chips, dips, cookies, finger foods-and you guessedit-a GREAT cake. lol.

3. Mocktails and a movie night. Invite friends over for "mocktails". Set up a bar, have someone be the bartender and come up with 4-6 "drinks". I did this for my daughter when she was 17. We still have the specialty martini and margarita glasses that I bought for $1 each at the dollar tree. Play music, have them dress in cocktail attire. Have finger foods, sing happy birthday over a great cake. lol. Then when things wind down,dim the lights and put on a movie that suits her and her friends. OR if you have the $, send them to the movies.

4. La Parrilla in Powder Springs. Call ahead or go there and have them set up a large table for you. They have an awesome group entertaining there on the weekends. Oh, and you can take an awesome cake. hahaha!

I have several suggestions.

1. Takes a bit more planning on your part, but is alot of fun. Hire alimo (amazingly, we have a limo! lol) Stock the limo with treats from the bakery. Have her invite say 6 or so friends and go on a Scavenger Hunt! You can prearrange it. Go to different places and leave clues for them to find, each leading them to a new place and a small gift for her. The last clue will lead them to you for a wonderful cake (guess where I will suggest you get it from? ;) ) You could have them go to the mall and look in the bookstore at a certain book for a clue. Or drive thru Starbucks, or go to the skating rink, or in a grave yard!

2. Have a gaming party! you can rent game systems, like the new one where you are the controller. Have different games set up thru the room. A poker table, video games, board game. Hire a dj or get someone you know who is very good at getting people involved to keep things going. play music, have "poker party" type foods. Chips, dips, cookies, finger foods-and you guessedit-a GREAT cake. lol.

3. Mocktails and a movie night. Invite friends over for "mocktails". Set up a bar, have someone be the bartender and come up with 4-6 "drinks". I did this for my daughter when she was 17. We still have the specialty martini and margarita glasses that I bought for $1 each at the dollar tree. Play music, have them dress in cocktail attire. Have finger foods, sing happy birthday over a great cake. lol. Then when things wind down,dim the lights and put on a movie that suits her and her friends. OR if you have the $, send them to the movies.

4. La Parrilla in Powder Springs. Call ahead or go there and have them set up a large table for you. They have an awesome group entertaining there on the weekends. Oh, and you can take an awesome cake. hahaha!

tried to send a pm but it said you cant receive any messages. I wanted to ask some prices about your limo service :-)

last week I asked for suggestions on places to have my daughters sweet 16 party. I got some great suggestions but my daughter is pretty insistant she doesnt want a party. We may still do one anyway but anyone have any suggestions of something other than a party?

I suggested maybe a limo to take her and a few friends out somewhere locally. She said no. I suggested a nice date night for her and her boyfriend she said no. Im out of ideas especially being limited with the weather and the money.

And I need some suggestions other then spa things/girlie things because she will want her boyfriend involved in whatever she does.

We had a party for my daughter last mth. I wanted to do a big one and rent a place & she just wanted a smaller one here at home & we had about 25 teens over. What I really wanted to do was rent a limo and have her and 4 or 5 friends go to dinner somewhere. I think that would have been fun & maybe not any more expensive than renting a place and hiring a DJ.

My now 22 yo daughter made it very easy for is. She was snooping thru our room and found a guest list written out by one of her close friends. the party was scheduled at an upscale ball room. She had the Kahunas to ask us about it and then told us we needed to add some family members who forgot who she was when it came time to pay child support, and others that said her father could not pay child support because he had to make a car payment. I gave her a choice we can still have the party without the idiots or invite them to a party that would not be happening if they were invite. She chose no party saved me the headache of dealing with those who want recognition and did not even know what she looked like. I say NO PARTY. go on vacation

Don't take it wrong, but, you said she has a boyfriend? Do you think he is a bad influence on her and maybe she is losing interest in things that matter? Just wondering.My daughter will be finishing high school before she lets a boy ruin her years at home. She can't wait for her sweet 16!

take her to tea.

Tea leaves and thyme in woodstock would be a nice place to do it.

My now 22 yo daughter made it very easy for is. She was snooping thru our room and found a guest list written out by one of her close friends. the party was scheduled at an upscale ball room. She had the Kahunas to ask us about it and then told us we needed to add some family members who forgot who she was when it came time to pay child support, and others that said her father could not pay child support because he had to make a car payment. I gave her a choice we can still have the party without the idiots or invite them to a party that would not be happening if they were invite. She chose no party saved me the headache of dealing with those who want recognition and did not even know what she looked like. I say NO PARTY. go on vacation

Selfish much?

Don't take it wrong, but, you said she has a boyfriend? Do you think he is a bad influence on her and maybe she is losing interest in things that matter? Just wondering.My daughter will be finishing high school before she lets a boy ruin her years at home. She can't wait for her sweet 16!

ya know, I hafta say that julies mom actually makes a good point. BY NO MEANS am I saying that this is the case with th op's daughter. But it does happen. It happened to me. If my daughter was as obsessed/in love with a boy as much as I was at the age of 14, I'd be concerned. Thats just my fear of not wanting her to follow in my footsteps. looking back I missed out on a lot due to that relationship. I can't say it's a regret though because my daughter is actually the product of said relationship. :pardon:

OP, I like the stone mountain idea, perhaps with limo service.

tried to send a pm but it said you cant receive any messages. I wanted to ask some prices about your limo service :-)

Weird. Not sure why. You can message me on our Facebook pageMy link. Our rates start at $100 an hour. You will have to talk to Buddy to get more specific. Call the bakery and I can give you his cellphone number.

My daughter said she wants to take a few friends and camp on Cumberland Island for a few days.

I really love my daughter but I think I'm going to have her father be in charge of this one. I don't mind camping in a camper. This is different. Theres nothing that reminds you of civilization. You can't even build a campfire at most of the campsites. I hope they have fun.