Paulding.com

I need to get a feel about something

I've been a commerce member quite a while now and I have been asked as well. I guess it doesnt really bother me. I, personally, would feel that it oversteps boundaries, but that's only if I were the charity in question.

On the other hand, what a good opportunity to seize...local business owners all in one place, you can solicit for free(or really cheap). I can see that side, too.

I still wouldnt do it, personally.

To the business owners on P.com, does it bother you when someone approaches you on here or in the PM's asking for donations for the schools their children attend?

What about non-business owners, how do you feel about it?

I'm sure you are not the first person to approach the business owners for a "donation" and you won't be the last.

I've seen where the requests are broadcast on PCOM ("looking for XXXX for the XXXX event, etc...) , and responders are named ("thank you YYY for contributing", etc :)

You should look for ways to advertise these business that you are getting donations from - only fair.

Ask me for a donation? Depends if I'll support based on my preferences. Just don't get-in-my-face-about-it. If I want it I'll support, if not I won't :D

I am no longer a commerce member, but I have to say it would have struck a nerve with me, had that have happened. I think that's kind of rude.

I would have to agree with you on that. Like I said above, I would think it would be invasive. I think if someone was going to have a business donate to them, they should be able to see the person that they are considering on donating too. Person to person is better than a a pm waiting for them on here.

Putting a post on here asking business members to donate is acceptable in my opinion.

They can answer if they want to.

I have always felt that a direct pm asking them to donate to a cause is putting them on the spot and rude.

People assume that people in business have a lot of money, many times they are having trouble paying the light bill.

They come off to some as looking like jerks because of the belief that business owners have money to burn.

The are well aware that people think this and are unsure how a refusal will be taken.

It doesn't bother us at all, however, we get SO many requests for donations that there is no way we can donate to all of them. We feel bad but there have been weeks that we have had 10 or more requests for donations. Everyone tells us how it will be great advertising and they will put out our cards, etc. And we know it is, but being a a small business we just can't afford to accommodate everyone. Most people are very understanding though. Maybe we will get so busy and have so much business, that we can do more. lol.

It doesn't bother us at all, however, we get SO many requests for donations that there is no way we can donate to all of them. We feel bad but there have been weeks that we have had 10 or more requests for donations. Everyone tells us how it will be great advertising and they will put out our cards, etc. And we know it is, but being a a small business we just can't afford to accommodate everyone. Most people are very understanding though. Maybe we will get so busy and have so much business, that we can do more. lol.

Thank you, to be completely honest with you, I was going to visit you tomorrow. I understand completely and you have so many schools out that way. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for trying to help our schools!!!!!

It may even be against Pcom rules. Dunno...

Very interesting question and response. I personally asked someone from p.com about doing this and I was told it would be considered spamming if I messaged a large number of business members and against the rules. Now I see a different answer. I guess it depends on the mood of the person and the day or who you are.

Sorry if I offend anyone but an organization I was helping out was ripped off by a person on here and I asked if it was ok to post their name and what happened and no response. Now this situation and a completely different answer. It makes it weem like it depends on who you are. Don't get me wrong I do love this site but lets be consistant.

Very interesting question and response. I personally asked someone from p.com about doing this and I was told it would be considered spamming if I messaged a large number of business members and against the rules. Now I see a different answer. I guess it depends on the mood of the person and the day or who you are.

Sorry if I offend anyone but an organization I was helping out was ripped off by a person on here and I asked if it was ok to post their name and what happened and no response. Now this situation and a completely different answer. It makes it weem like it depends on who you are. Don't get me wrong I do love this site but lets be consistant.

I'm a nobody. I'm just asking people a simple question on how they would feel if they were pm'd for donations, sponsorship, advitisments on here. I'm getting some valueable answers on one would feel. I don't know if I don't ask. However, I do know it isn't spamming and against the rules. If a person don't want to be approached on here, then they will say so, if they don't have a problem with it so be it. If one asks a business and they say no, then it's no.

Since I have been a paid commerce member I have never gotten a PM to donate money. I personally don't have the budget but if there was a way that I could help out then I would volunteer my time or services to help. I would not think that it would be bad but then other people don't think the same way as others, we as in local business owners are hurting but are always looking to advertise our business in so many different ways.

I don't really see how a business member could see it any differently than a letter request and those are very common. It's just one of the aspects of having an active business participation in a format like this. If you (you being any business member) don't like doing donations that way, just have a standard "we do not do donations through internet messaging format" response and use it anytime you get such a request. It's no different than a "thanks, we aren't interested" response to a sales cold call.

What if you don't know the person but you some what know of them from here? Also, how do you approach a business member when you don't even know where they are located so the person can make it more personal by going to their business and introducing themselves? I have to say again, I think the pm's would be so unpersonal.

Well, you actually talk to the business..ie...coke, pepsi, publix etc.....so right there you are making it personal. They tell you what steps you need to make. Even here in town, you go to the business or you call them, that is the first step in making it personal other than a pm where you never (at least you don't think you have) spoke to them and you approach them.

It is not against the rules as far as I know.

But compiling a list of members for explicit purpose of selling them something or requesting donations is spamming.

The fastest way to run off our members is to encourage spamming.

I will always discourage it.

I personally hate being spammed, it is an instant way to make sure I will never do business with you.

Once I have identified you in my mind as a spammer I will no longer read your spam but immediately dismiss your message and find a way to delete or block you.

I personally would not mind if someone pm'd me on here for a donation. Like Bumble Bee I certainly cannot help everyone out. But that is your option, and you can always say no if that is what you wish to do. But why not just put a post about it? I know last year I helped out with a football program just because someone had a post about it. I thought it would be good for us, so I contacted her about it.

Anyway...my answer for you is YES! Talk to you soon!

I personally would not mind if someone pm'd me on here for a donation. Like Bumble Bee I certainly cannot help everyone out. But that is your option, and you can always say no if that is what you wish to do. But why not just put a post about it? I know last year I helped out with a football program just because someone had a post about it. I thought it would be good for us, so I contacted her about it.

Anyway...my answer for you is YES! Talk to you soon!

OMG really??? Thank you so much!!!!!:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :drinks: